Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Ineffiable posted:

So anyone want to talk the PSP? Its pretty much the perfect portable RPG machine.

I have on my PSP:
Persona 3 Portable
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Cladun

and I want to get Disgaea 1 and 2 dispite actually beating them on the PS2.

I'm currently playing disgaea 2, story sucks but the gameplay is awesome. I actually enjoy grinding for some reason.
How's Cladun? I heard it was basically all dungeon crawling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

To be honest, I have no idea. I just bought it and its on my memory stick, just waiting to be played.

Apperently there are a ton of customization options, so its good for some mindless hacking n slashing and continiously leveling up and finding better and better stuff.

Story is supposed to be minimal I heard, so in a way it is basically a super dungeon crawler. I think the environments are at least varied.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

To be honest, I have no idea. I just bought it and its on my memory stick, just waiting to be played.

Apperently there are a ton of customization options, so its good for some mindless hacking n slashing and continiously leveling up and finding better and better stuff.

Story is supposed to be minimal I heard, so in a way it is basically a super dungeon crawler. I think the environments are at least varied.

This pretty well describes Cladun. There's a ton of customization options and the story is pretty much limited to a minute or 2 long cutscene with writing that may be just a tad too self aware for its own good. Gets a little old once you've seen all the different enemy types since there's maybe a dozen if you don't count the 6+ pallet swaps of everything.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Ys 7 is probably the closest to action-RPG perfection on PSP, and there's Oath in Felghana (the Ys 3 remake) coming out next month.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

iastudent posted:

Ys 7 is probably the closest to action-RPG perfection on PSP, and there's Oath in Felghana (the Ys 3 remake) coming out next month.

I keep forgetting, is it Ys 3 or Ys 6 that Ys fans think is the best Ys ever? I'm trying to decide how excited I should be about this.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

iastudent posted:

I recently started playing Vagrant Story on my PSP. Unfortunately it's only available on Japan and Europe PSN but someone with a Euro gift card hooked me up with a share. It's a pretty fun and strangely atmospheric dungeon crawler with a lot of weapon and armor customization/building, from the looks of it.

See, it's this poo poo that pisses me off. I would gladly pay more money for Front Mission 3 on the US PSN than Front Mission Evolved is actually worth. I really would, and yet it's only available in Japan and Europe. What the gently caress, Sony/SquareEnix.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

I keep forgetting, is it Ys 3 or Ys 6 that Ys fans think is the best Ys ever? I'm trying to decide how excited I should be about this.

The PC version of Oath in Felghana was really good and many people say that it's the best Ys game, or at least the best recent one. Not sure how the PSP version will stack up.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The PC version of Oath in Felghana was really good and many people say that it's the best Ys game, or at least the best recent one. Not sure how the PSP version will stack up.

I thought the controls for Ys 7 were pretty decent so there shouldn't be any issues with that. I'm figuring it'll come down to the translation vs. that of the patch put out for the PC version.

fivegears4reverse posted:

See, it's this poo poo that pisses me off. I would gladly pay more money for Front Mission 3 on the US PSN than Front Mission Evolved is actually worth. I really would, and yet it's only available in Japan and Europe. What the gently caress, Sony/SquareEnix.

I can't imagine Vagrant Story and Front Mission 3 sold that much better in Europe than in the US, if at all. Either it's licensing issues with putting them on US PSN (which is highly unlikely) or they think US customers have their heads too far up someone's rear end that they won't buy a non-FF Square title.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

SaGa Frontier 2 didnt really do it for me, you barely got to use Gustave, his parts of the game were all story. The visuals were pretty as hell but the game itself was pretty bland and I never even finished it.

A total disappointment, especially since SaGa Frontier blew me away.

Yeah I love the game but it would have been 100x better if it focused more on Gustave because hes by far the best character in the game

In the game everyone can use magic, even peasants can. But Gustave cant for some reason, so hes exiled for being a horrible failure. Its a pretty cool concept for a rpg character.

If its a PS1 game get an emulator and torrent the goddamn thing. Who cares about pirating PS1 games at this point.

babypolis fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 23, 2010

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm off and on playing a very odd PS1 RPG on the Japanese PSN store. It's called "Ore no shikabane wo koete yuke!" which is something like "Climb over my corpse and go!"

Over my dead body?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

niggapolis posted:

If its a PS1 game get an emulator and torrent the goddamn thing. Who cares about pirating PS1 games at this point.

I already own a copy. I just want a legitimate portable copy. I know, spending money for things I like, what a strange concept.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

softcorps posted:

Saga Frontier 2 (PS1)
This wasn't an A-list game but I'm going list it simply because the story was one of the most memorable. You start off as Gustave, successor to the throne, in a world where Anima (magic) prevails. However, he fails to take the throne for certain reasons and in doing so, inadvertently seeds what is essentially a tsunami of change in the way his world works. Despite its fantasy trappings, the story always remains believable, and very human. At least from what I remember, you never really run into idiotic plot twists like "Oh I guess our Guardian Forces give us amnesia and we in fact knew each other since we were kids but didn't remember it until now."

Gustave's (and his successors) storyline also intertwines with that of the relic hunter Wil Knights' (and his successors). Plot points aren't always explicitly spelled out though, so you kind of have to piece them together and use your imagination at some points.

Combat should be pretty familiar to SaGa fans, and is fairly easy to pick up even if you've never played a SaGa game. However, it's really the story and presentation--the pretty watercolor art and well-composed score--that really make it worth playing at least once. Difficulty tends to be uneven though, so I recommend consulting a play guide or something occasionally so you don't screw up your progress.

btw, thanks for that Ogre Battle 64 PC conversion link. It looks incomplete and has somewhat high reqs (Win7 + Shader 2.0), but I may have to chat that guy up so he at least knows there's outside interest for it.

drat, this thread's going to keep me busy for a while.

Saga Frontier 2 was weird, it's like someone complained about how open ended part 1 was and decided to make it as closed as possible. But yeah, the story was nice.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

Over my dead body?
That would have a very different connotation, so no. This is the idea that one can become stronger by climbing on top of the bodies of those who came before them.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
thank god to the dude who mentioned valkyrie profile 2.
valkyrie profile is pretty much my favorite RPG, I've been meaning to get around to playing the sequel. the SRPG for the ds isn't quite as good, though, but it's okay.
valkyrie profile: hrist please :allears:

I love most everything tri-Ace does, esp VP and radiata stories, which was the perfect example of a game that does not take itself seriously - at all.
I mean, the main character and his dad are named after dogs.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I already own a copy. I just want a legitimate portable copy. I know, spending money for things I like, what a strange concept.

You can play almost any PSX game on the PSP whether its been officially rereleased for PSN by Sony or not :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are actually a bunch of really easier ripper programs that will take less than 10 minutes and instantly work on your PSP. You're also in luck you don't have to worry about the analog thumbsticks since they weren't necessary in Front Mission 3. Or disc swapping.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Samurai Sanders posted:

That would have a very different connotation, so no. This is the idea that one can become stronger by climbing on top of the bodies of those who came before them.

So, "On the Shoulders of Corpses", then. :v:

Sign up for a PSN account with a fake European address, buy cards online to put money in your account (you'll likely pay a small premium for them, but eh.) That's what I do to buy US-only PSN games and DLC in Australia.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If it's like homebrew it probably won't work on a PSP-3000, due to board differences.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

If it's like homebrew it probably won't work on a PSP-3000, due to board differences.

Homebrew has worked on psp-3000s for over a year now. And I have a friend who's been running Breath of Fire IV in Popstation on one.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Homebrew has worked on psp-3000s for over a year now. And I have a friend who's been running Breath of Fire IV in Popstation on one.

Okay, you're right on that one. I was thinking permanent homebrew which is doable on 1000-2000s but I know 3000s have a temporary workaround.

Anyways... another Vagrant Story question. Is it common to be doing only single-digit damage to bosses unless you're chaining non-stop? Almost all the bosses past the first one appear to be like that and I just beat the Ifrit-looking guy in the abandoned mines.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

iastudent posted:

Okay, you're right on that one. I was thinking permanent homebrew which is doable on 1000-2000s but I know 3000s have a temporary workaround.

Anyways... another Vagrant Story question. Is it common to be doing only single-digit damage to bosses unless you're chaining non-stop? Almost all the bosses past the first one appear to be like that and I just beat the Ifrit-looking guy in the abandoned mines.

Well the team that made the temporary workaround just made a permament CFW solution for PSP 3000s and they'll release it before christmas, apparently. So everyone with any kind of PSP, even Gos, will be able to play all their PS1 RPGs on the go :).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Shadow Hearts: From the New World (PS2)

Three games comprising sixteen years of world history on an alternate Earth where demons run free and men can fuse with them. This series is one of the few that incorporates real-world history into its plot: The first game deals with pre-WWI, the second during WWI, and the third game during the Great Depression. Each game utilizes real-world characters in either major or minor roles with cues taken from their actual role in history. They're also incredibly funny (the first game) to stupidly wacky (the latter two). As far as jRPGs go, these are, IMO, the cream of the crop. They're chock-full of stuff to do, and each game has an in-depth encyclopedia of monsters, items, characters, statistics as you play (from how far you've walked in real-world terms {like Tokyo to Osaka or something} to how many times you've run away to how many times you've died, etc.).

However, what makes the games unique is the Judgment Ring, a HotShotsGolf-inspired spinning dial where you must hit X when it sweeps over a colored area on the Ring, to execute an action. Fail and your entire action does not happen. On top of that, the spinning ring allows you the ability to make your spells do more damage, your physical attacks hurt more, your items heal more, etc. by stopping the Ring in certain, hard-to-hit areas. There are minigames revolving around the Ring as well, such as Lottery games where the Ring goes at 3x speed or moves erratically or... in some cases, disappears entirely.

In other words, it's turn-based with ACTUAL INPUT put in, and to me it's the best RPG gameplay system invented yet. On top of that, you have some gorgeous visuals (SH1 has gorgeous backgrounds, but dated models, Covenant and FTNW have FFX-quality graphics), incredible, superior music and generally great storylines with fleshed-out characters.

The only downside to the series is that the first game was very clearly Silent Hill meets Final Fantasy and then they kind of threw that idea out with the sequels. They are still darker than anything on the market not named Nier or Shin Megami Tensei.

Also how come SMT: Nocturne hasn't been talked about yet? That's the best jRPG out there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

Like I said several posts up: bring a weapon of each type (blunt, slashing, piercing) and be ready to gem and/or enchant them (with spells like luft fusion) to handle elemental properties. Most bosses have really obvious elemental weaknesses, but the main type varies wildly and can often change from part to part. If you're doing any weaponsmithing at all, you should at least be doing double digits most of the game.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Started playing devil summoner, pretty good so far. Will give my impression after I pass the ten hour mark.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm off and on playing a very odd PS1 RPG on the Japanese PSN store. It's called "Ore no shikabane wo koete yuke!" which is something like "Climb over my corpse and go!"

As the title suggests, it is built entirely around death; You control a Heian-period family which has been cursed by a demon with abnormally short life: No one will live longer than about two years.

In that two years you have to build each new generation of people into a super deadly anti-demon RPG commando team by grinding like gently caress. Your people also can't breed like normal because of the curse, so instead you have sex with GODS.

Your individual people continually die like gnats (you'll lose three or four per hour of play time), but they can train their descendants and pass on their equipment and stuff. The game has no time limit, as long as you have some people alive.

The game has some great music, and a lot of really bizarre humor thrown in. The actual RPG gameplay is simple as hell, but I keep on pulling it out every once in a while. Also it has a weird cover that gives no indication of what it actually is:

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only person in the world who has heard of this game. I played the hell out of the original PS1 game back in the day. I liked the fact that the more powerful you got you could actually make your descendants into gods themselves. Also the ability to change the difficulty level on the fly was great. There actually is a time limit though, or rather a descendant limit. Once you hit 255 descendants the game automatically ends. You'd have to be nuts to breed that many though, after finishing the game on the hardest difficulty level I only had 40 generations or so racked up.

Some of the cutscenes are :nms: as gently caress in this game though.

And probably the best translation would be "Carry on after I am gone." I'd say. It's actually not that uncommon a phrase.

Edit: The cover of the game is actually a picture of the game director's son I believe. I read an interview with him somewhere and it more or less sounds like he got so high on becoming a dad that he basically made a game about it.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 23, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Genpei Turtle posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only person in the world who has heard of this game. I played the hell out of the original PS1 game back in the day. I liked the fact that the more powerful you got you could actually make your descendants into gods themselves. Also the ability to change the difficulty level on the fly was great. There actually is a time limit though, or rather a descendant limit. Once you hit 255 descendants the game automatically ends. You'd have to be nuts to breed that many though, after finishing the game on the hardest difficulty level I only had 40 generations or so racked up.

Some of the cutscenes are :nms: as gently caress in this game though.

And probably the best translation would be "Carry on after I am gone." I'd say. It's actually not that uncommon a phrase.

Edit: The cover of the game is actually a picture of the game director's son I believe. I read an interview with him somewhere and it more or less sounds like he got so high on becoming a dad that he basically made a game about it.
Haha, and I thought I was the only one too. You clearly know a lot more about it than me though, I haven't finished it once yet, on the second to the top difficulty/speed level.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Like I said several posts up: bring a weapon of each type (blunt, slashing, piercing) and be ready to gem and/or enchant them (with spells like luft fusion) to handle elemental properties. Most bosses have really obvious elemental weaknesses, but the main type varies wildly and can often change from part to part. If you're doing any weaponsmithing at all, you should at least be doing double digits most of the game.

Yeah, neglecting weaponsmithing is likely the reason why. I'm still using a bronze crossbow, goblin club and greataxe, none of which have gem slots. I definitely plan to do some heavy-duty tinkering once I get to another workroom.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Haha, and I thought I was the only one too. You clearly know a lot more about it than me though, I haven't finished it once yet, on the second to the top difficulty/speed level.

Is there a translation of it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

Yeah, neglecting weaponsmithing is likely the reason why. I'm still using a bronze crossbow, goblin club and greataxe, none of which have gem slots. I definitely plan to do some heavy-duty tinkering once I get to another workroom.

Yeah, you should have some hagane by now if you're having any luck at all with drops. Also, gem slots are from grips and you really shouldn't be using any grips that don't have at least one unless your only slotted ones are absolutely terrible for what you're wanting to do (axes and maces use the same grips and there are grips that lean heavily toward one side or the other, same thing happens with piercing vs edged polearms).

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

casual poster posted:

Is there a translation of it?

I doubt it, I don't think it would sell outside of Japan. It relies way too heavily on Japanese-folklore references and the art style is reminiscent of old ukiyo-e paintings, it would just feel really foreign. It's also really really really grindy.

That, and there are cutscenes that are really creepy. We're talking borderline tentacle rape here.

Still, it's pretty good, and has some neat gameplay mechanics, especially in the breed-with-gods-and-pass-on-genetic-traits system. Like parents being able to pass on skills to kids whose stats aren't good enough, or creating flipper babies if you do something retarded like have a character breed with his mom.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A cutscene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GPaW7cyoM

edit: the events right before that, at the very beginning of the game when the two heads of the family get cursed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dC_j7EYfT8

The moral of the story is clear: If you are chasing a demon and run into its castle, and you see an innocent looking girl all alone there instead, DO NOT TURN YOUR BACK ON THE GIRL.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 23, 2010

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
At the risk of sounding like someone who has multiple Dragon Katanas, are there any RPGs featuring samurai* or have being a badass swordsman as more or less a plot point? I'm thinking something like Jack from Wild ARMs and how everyone knew how awesome "Quick Draw" was.

* - I've played Way of the Samurai series.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ys Origin is pure excellence (Oath gameplay system with a few additions, three characters, postgame unlockables like Ys6 Adol and YsOiF Adol) but it's unlikely to ever get ported to anything. :sigh: I highly recommend the PC version if you don't mind the text being in Japanese, there are maybe four spots where progression is not obvious even with no language knowledge, and there's a FAQ. The fan translation project seems like it'll be done in 2020.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Because I don't want to clutter up the Games forum with my incompetence (this topic's enough :v: )...

How does one fight past that Frostmonger boss in Chapter 5? Bastard keeps on freezing and breaking my troops apart! Ayara, Bast, Daniel, Outsider- nobody seems to last more than a few rounds before the path to my squishy mages is open :(

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Because I don't want to clutter up the Games forum with my incompetence (this topic's enough :v: )...

How does one fight past that Frostmonger boss in Chapter 5? Bastard keeps on freezing and breaking my troops apart! Ayara, Bast, Daniel, Outsider- nobody seems to last more than a few rounds before the path to my squishy mages is open :(

Edit: Wait, ignore what I said before. Taking a look at his stats, magic won't do much of anything. Really, all you can do is make sure you're up to level and that your weapons are decently upgraded, because physical damage is his biggest weakpoint. Thankfully the bastard only has 1200 hp.

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 24, 2010

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chic Trombone posted:

Edit: Wait, ignore what I said before. Taking a look at his stats, magic won't do much of anything. Really, all you can do is make sure you're up to level and that your weapons are decently upgraded, because physical damage is his biggest weakpoint. Thankfully the bastard only has 1200 hp.

Nah, it's all good. Turns out that playing with the Switch and Move commands is the way to go.

Now if only I can get past goddamn Clint :( Guddamn Roulette shot ruins everyobe's poo poo.

My party's

Daniel
Rock
Ayara (I know I should put Midian or Orlando here, but after that Fading Dream sequence, no loving way is she leaving the party)
Deus
Myst
Rorschach

If it's any help.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 25, 2010

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 30, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesto posted:

Here's a tip for you guys playing Exit Fate, something that's very, very easy to overlook:

When you're entering the final dungeon of the game, always have Griever in your party, even if she's just support. I know her character looks like some generic throwaway 'mysterious stranger' optional recruit, but you'll see.

There's an entire flashblack sequence you can miss if she's not there for the Gudrun battle detailing who she is, and Gudrun's history.

Guddamit, so I have to level her up then? The rest of my party is pushing level 40, and she's just out of 30 :(

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesto posted:

You don't have to level her up, characters that are in Support are treated as being in the main party for plot sequences, so just shove her in there.

Besides, you have access to the Shadow Boss sidequests before you even enter the final dungeon which ought to shoot your levels up to around 80-90 quickly just by going through them. But it makes the final dungeon and boss battle a joke if you do that.

Also: Don't overwrite your save at the end of the final dungeon when you're prompted to Switch Characters / Equip / Save, that's the point of no return. I almost did this. :(

All this talk about final dungeons and such, all while I'm grinding like crazy to get past Clint :( At least Frostmonger had a gimmick that made him easy to defeat. Clint? He just hits hard.