Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sockington posted:

Guessing a bike of some sort judging by the '750' on the valve cover
Oh, you Americans. :allears:

Yeah, it's going to be a bike engine, but over here it's not that long since you really could buy a proper, five (small) seat hatchback with a 750cc engine. Both my aunt and one of the guys I was in sixth form with had a Fiat Panda 750, and that wasn't the least powerful one they built.

Hell, the 126, in a mighty, upgraded, 700cc form, only stopped rolling out the Polish factory in 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
It's a 70s SOHC cb750, most likely a k motor as well

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, it's going to be a bike engine, but over here it's not that long since you really could buy a proper, five (small) seat hatchback with a 750cc engine. Both my aunt and one of the guys I was in sixth form with had a Fiat Panda 750, and that wasn't the least powerful one they built.

Hell, the 126, in a mighty, upgraded, 700cc form, only stopped rolling out the Polish factory in 2000.

I would buy that, and I'm American.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I was going to try and describe the black hoses being the air inlets, but just left it at the valve cover bit.

Oh, and :canada: you redcoat.
(edit: no worries :hfive:)

Sockington fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 17, 2010

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sockington posted:

Oh, and :canada: you redcoat.
Oops :ohdear:

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

jamal posted:

and we had video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHx2-pvqtfg

Do you guys have any data showing JC's line through 9 to be faster than the generally accepted line through 9? That video shows him to be at least two carwidths to the inside, with a super, super early apex and super, super late throttle application to show for it. I'd be really amazed if it was actually faster his way.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Savington posted:

Do you guys have any data showing JC's line through 9 to be faster than the generally accepted line through 9? That video shows him to be at least two carwidths to the inside, with a super, super early apex and super, super late throttle application to show for it. I'd be really amazed if it was actually faster his way.

Not sure if that's where he meant to be driving or if it was really that early of an apex but the beginning of the video is the end of the fastest lap JC's ever done there in a car. here's another viewpoint from a different day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-q8R3Ay1NM&feature=player_embedded!

He does know is way around big willow better than most people.

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 18, 2010

Cop
Nov 14, 2007

orange lime posted:

But you said 124 miles in the earlier post. She drove 124 miles with the oil pressure light on?

No. She got it Sunday, drove it for a couple days, light came on Tuesday and she took it in Wednesday. So between Sunday when she got it and Wednesday when she got to the dealership, it had 124 miles.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CommieGIR posted:

What engine is that?

Honda.

Sockington posted:

Guessing a bike of some sort judging by the '750' on the valve cover and the rubber connecting bits to the head.

Yep.

Valt posted:

It's a 70s SOHC cb750, most likely a k motor as well

Someone get this man a CIGAR!

it's a 77 CB 750K.

I still haven't pulled the engine yet but I'm sure I'll find more mechanical failures when I do.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

jamal posted:

Not sure if that's where he meant to be driving or if it was really that early of an apex but the beginning of the video is the end of the fastest lap JC's ever done there in a car. here's another viewpoint from a different day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-q8R3Ay1NM&feature=player_embedded!

He does know is way around big willow better than most people.

His line through 9 is much better in that video. You can hear the pre-apex throttle application that so many people say is key to a fast lap around willow in that video. In the first video you posted his throttle application around the apex was super choppy so I wondered.

mdk
Oct 5, 2003
mdk

:smithicide:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

what the hell did that?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ferremit posted:

what the hell did that?

Something in the intake tract for one hell of a long time? Whatever, that thing hasn't been making pressure for a while.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That was a loving turbo?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That was a loving turbo?

No, it was a turbocharger, it's now a hosed turbo.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mdk posted:

:smithicide:

holy poo poo, I didn't think it was this bad. any evidence of what got in there?

metalhead fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 24, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nerobro posted:

No, it was a turbocharger, it's now a hosed turbo.

off topic:

what bike is that in your avatar? :D

my guess: a later CB, probably DOHC 81 750?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's a Suzuki GSsomething.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's at 1980 GS550. It's still in my garage. It needs a new wiring harness and the carbs sorted once and for all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nerobro posted:

It's at 1980 GS550. It's still in my garage. It needs a new wiring harness and the carbs sorted once and for all.

I knew it was a bombproof bike of some sort. I was right about the DOHC though.
Good luck with the carb issues. they can be a real PITA

/threadjack

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

E: batch 2.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 26, 2010

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

"Running" Starion engine guts spotted.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Not the cleanest kitchen I've ever seen, but that sure looks like some delicious pudding.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

some texas redneck posted:

"Running" Starion engine guts spotted.

Its clearly a DOHC, so not a starion.
but I guess this perception is why I cant sell a restored starion for what it cost me in parts.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Clearing turn 12 at Portland Raceway I got back on the gas going into the main straight.Hmm I'm not really building power like I should, but the engine is pulling up like it should. :haw:

It used to be a #428 Chain sprocket.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
At least you didn't bust a chain while leading.

I've done that about 10 times.

Sprockets and chains have a pretty limited lifespan on a shifter kart I am finding out.

I melted down a brand new Swedetech cylinder a couple races back, wish I would have taken pics of it. I still have the piston. When I get done building my garage-mahal I will get some pics.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

That's modern art right there.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Used Sunlight sales posted:

At least you didn't bust a chain while leading.

I've done that about 10 times.

Sprockets and chains have a pretty limited lifespan on a shifter kart I am finding out.

I melted down a brand new Swedetech cylinder a couple races back, wish I would have taken pics of it. I still have the piston. When I get done building my garage-mahal I will get some pics.

Eh, the chain was junk at the end of the day. Still half the price of #219 though. Don't you run ICC? I've heard those things are Leopards on crack, so I would expect it. This is was on my first race day in StockMoto.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
so that rod broke for some reason:

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

FormulaXFD posted:

Eh, the chain was junk at the end of the day. Still half the price of #219 though. Don't you run ICC? I've heard those things are Leopards on crack, so I would expect it. This is was on my first race day in StockMoto.

Nah, I run Mod Moto.

The only ICC I have been beaten by is a suitcase motor.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 28, 2010

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

jamal posted:

so that rod broke for some reason:

Is that just the gasket thats broken at the bottome of the picture, or is it the block?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

That's block. And I'm pretty sure that's a scoobie flat 6.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pretty tame, but I don't think I've ever had a motor mount do this before.

My car is no longer a 4 wheeled vibrator.

Mister Tanker
Dec 15, 2006
It's an oil-slick of love.

Nerobro posted:

That's block. And I'm pretty sure that's a scoobie flat 6.

Close. Its an ej series Subaru flat 4.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I swapped my motor mounts out for urethane ones back in the spring, and all 3 were like that. Mazda figured their already-weak rubber bushings that went out after a few years on regular proteges didn't need to be strengthened for the turbo model.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

My jeeps motor mount was like that.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
While not particularly horrible, my friend's 2006 BMW 328 somehow managed to shear a bolt in the multi-link rear suspension. She suspected something was wrong when her car kept making a funny scraping sound, and I immediately realized something was horribly wrong when she pulled up and her rear wheel was sliding from front to back. Apparently the scraping sound was the tire pushed back against the wheel well. She said she hadn't hit anything, so I'm wondering how a girl who never speeds can shear a suspension bolt?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any impact damage on the suspension links? Might have hit some debris on the road?

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Fucknag posted:

I swapped my motor mounts out for urethane ones back in the spring, and all 3 were like that. Mazda figured their already-weak rubber bushings that went out after a few years on regular proteges didn't need to be strengthened for the turbo model.
This happened a few months ago to my protege. Is it an easy fix or do I have to use a jackstand and an engine lift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless