Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

I saw them live last year and it was one of the most incredible metal shows I've been to in a long time. Tiny venue, great crowd, awesome atmosphere, absolutely stunning musicianship all around... Proscriptor really gives every ounce of himself when he performs, to drum and sing as he does.

To be fair he sings backing parts, not lead, in a lot of the songs.

I saw them at the Underworld in Camden last November I think. Ended up being stomped on by a big Polish dude in the pit and broke a rib. Once I got upright again (thanks, Stoo!) I managed to stay until the end of the set despite the pain. Even had a kebab on the way home though every movement related to eating hurt. That's how :rock: Absu are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Darkthule / The Shadow Order / Frostkrieg Split from earlier this year is def. worth checking out.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Plasma1010 posted:

Darkthule / The Shadow Order / Frostkrieg Split from earlier this year is def. worth checking out.

Interesting, from what I can remember Frostkrieg were trying to distance themselves from the NS movement (even though they're on Nykta). A release with Darkthule & TSO on Darker than Black is hardly staying away :lol:

I wonder if Moros is still in Scotland?

vonbaron
Nov 10, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaAGln2k2U&feature=related

e: re Absu: Absu is the poo poo. Speaking of Absu, EVERYONE should hear the Temples of Offal demo. It's a completely different sound - very Suffocation inspired, brutal death metal, but still has a little tinge of the Absu sound too. One of their best releases actually.

vonbaron fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 22, 2010

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
I was taken by surprise by the first release from these guys, http://www.last.fm/music/Clair+Cassis

It was a rather mind-bending experience listening to it in bed with headphones, it's a very subtle album that I thought displayed a certain rare breed of inventiveness.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

vonbaron posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaAGln2k2U&feature=related

e: re Absu: Absu is the poo poo. Speaking of Absu, EVERYONE should hear the Temples of Offal demo. It's a completely different sound - very Suffocation inspired, brutal death metal, but still has a little tinge of the Absu sound too. One of their best releases actually.

Thou Art Lord's first two were really cool, then the later ones started sounding a bit odd.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Foremost I'm not a musician, but I hang out with a lot of them, and if I misused any semantics I apologize.

I've been a supporter of Dimmu for years. I think their best work started with ICS Vortex's joining the band, which is often the point that the even older, 'more real' Dimmu fans argue when they went to poo poo. The way Vortex's clean vocals offset Shagrath impacted me the most. I could probably emulate some bullshit Pitchfork Media review and try to clinically itinerize the reason why I think it sounds good, but I'm just going to leave it at that.
Spiritual Black Dimensions and Puritanical Misanthropic Euphoria are my two favorite albums of theirs, and of any band's. They both have the distinguishing point that they are albums I can listen to from front to back without skipping tracks. DCA has a couple of my favorite tracks of theirs of their career, but still has a couple songs that are kind of boring- and who knows what the gently caress happened with ISD.

And now we have 'Abrahadabra'. I think the name is a warning. It sounds like something a kid would shout while performing a parlor trick they bought in a plastic baggie at Spencer's. I have given this album start-to-finish listens almost daily since I got it, and I have arrived at a very disappointing verdict- it's awful.

It starts GOOD though! I like the orchestral stuff. I like what they've done in the past- the intro from PME, Eradication Instincts Defined (which I believe features their previous use of a full, real orchestra) from DCA, I love those examples. Xibir starts things out with a moody, creepy, darkly atmospheric feel. This had put me in mind of PME when I first heard it, and I became very optimistic.
Then, 'Born Treacherous'. Not very catchy, for a title, and it sounded real stupid for a chorus to be singing. Otherwise though, the song itself had a lot of things that sounded very Dimmu, and seemed to further promise that maybe this album was going to pull out of the rut of ISD and the mire of drama surrounding ICS and Mustis getting fired.
'Gateways,' the first single from the album. I had seen the video for it and swore I would never watch it again, because I don't want to associate that completely ridiculous imagery with the song, itself. I actually dig this song. I think it's really accessible. The female clean vocals are a bit of an offset, but they're not shabby. They'll either grow on you or they won't. And, the song still had that Dimmu feel overall as well.
Then... 'Chess with the Abyss'. This is your first step into the album going bad. The synth melody in the beginning sounds ridiculously carnival. The pseudo-latin emanating from the chorus doesn't intimidate or elevate the song's 'mystical' feel as I'm sure it was meant to, it sounded shoehorned and unnecessary to me. The song's lyrics appear to be about a person being their own source of salvation, a usual message of theirs... but then goes off into some 'I wish we'd never met' tangent. I don't know what that has to do with the rest of the song, but it sounds like Shag might be taunting the fired band members. That's rather petty and I hope I'm off the mark, but even putting that aside won't save this song. The synth melody just seems too... upbeat, out of place.
'Dimmu Borgir.' I can't believe how passive aggressive this song is for an eponymous track. Hell it seemed to promise to be a testosterone-pounding battle anthem song, 'forces of the northern light- assemble!' but then, the rest of the song drags its feet with a much slower tempo than I'd expect for that sentiment. There's a brief burst of double-kick drum here and there, but nothing that really saves it for me.
'Ritualist'... ooo rattly chains beware the ghost of Jacob loving Marley. I apologize... that was just spiteful and unconstructive. That aside, after 5 tries the song isn't catching me and I skip it.
'Demiurge Molecule.' Now, THIS song is the biggest 'what the gently caress'. It opens like a loving disco song with those drums. There is no amount of listening that is going to get me to accept this poo poo. In contrast to the bad opening, I liked the plucked strings bridge leading into the ominous brass horns and baritone carried vocal notes, I even dig what they're doing with brass overall in the whole thing. But, that bizarre disco lead-in soured me. And, you can't whisper, 'molecule', and be cool. That's just not metal.
'A Jewel Traced Through the Coal.' What the hell is with the name of this track? The song itself though sounds very DCA, I've got little complaint about that- but like a few tracks on DCA, it's a generally boring song. Sure it's got that 'oh so spooky' pseudo-Latin chorus section in the middle, but it's about as scary as Halloween at a renaissance faire.
'Renewal.' I like how this track gets started, then it adopts this retarded gallop that contradicts the racing, Iron Maiden-reminiscent opening. Once that retarded gallop starts the rest of the song becomes forgettable and you're stuck listening and hoping they'll give that cool part in the beginning another go. And when they do, you KNOW that part would've really suited ICS, instead we get someone that sounds like an ill fit, and right back into retarded gallop.
'Endings and Continuations' - stupid, dripping-water, chewing-bones intro that really only worked for Finntroll. If I planned on listening to this album any more, I'd skip the track just to avoid the intro. Then it turns out to be another slower song anyways, and loses any value to me. I can appreciate the point that they're allowing space for the orchestra they involved to be heard, to let the orchestra establish melody for their songs. This is as opposed to beating the orchestra to death so bad that you wonder what the loving point was to involving them at all (Metallica). But, I don't think this sounds like Dimmu Borgir at ALL. It doesn't sound good to me in general. The chorus singing 'abrahadabra', and the clean vocalist just sounded loving dumb.

Anyone actually enjoying this album despite, in spite of my complaints, more power to you. My expectations were let down in the worst way however. I've since retreated into the safety of SBD and PME, but I'm disappointed because I don't think we're ever going to 'return' to what it was that made Dimmu what they were when they impressed me the most.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That is a lot of words about Demon Burger.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

IRQ posted:

That is a lot of words about Demon Burger.

I was really disappointed :(

edit, I just paid attention to the avatar, I'm getting tl;dr'd by an R.R. Martin fan, that's some irony.

5er fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 25, 2010

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Here's my extensive review:

It wasn't that good.

(edit- ©2010 QPZIL, please don't plagiarize)

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I'll admit I really like Gateways a lot. The end of the song particularly, with the alternating vocals. The video is dumb as hell, though.

Adus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 25, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I hope the only reason NACHTMYSTIUM would do this tour it to buy lots of coke. Ugh!

CRADLE OF FILTH w/ NACHTMYSTIUM, TURISAS and DANIEL LIONEYE.

"FEARnet and Decibel Presents: Creatures From The Black Abyss Tour"

Feb. 01 - Houston, TX @ Warehouse Live
Feb. 02 - Dallas, TX @ Palladium Ballroom
Feb. 04 - Tempe, AZ @ Marquee Theatre
Feb. 05 - Pomona, CA @ Fox Theater
Feb. 06 - Las Vegas, NV@ House of Blues
Feb. 08 - Los Angeles, CA @ Club Nokia Live
Feb. 09 - San Francisco, CA@ Regency Ballroom
Feb. 11 - Seattle, WA @ Showbox Theatre
Feb. 12 - Spokane, WA @ Knitting Factory
Feb. 13 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom
Feb. 15 - Edmonton, AB @ Edmonton Events Center
Feb. 16 - Calgary, AB @ MacEwan Hall Ballroom
Feb. 18 - Englewood, CO @ Gothic Theatre
Feb. 20 - Chicago, IL @ House of Blues
Feb. 21 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave
Feb. 23 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Club Zoo
Feb. 25 - Detroit, MI @ Harpo's
Feb. 26 - Toronto, ON @ Sound Academy
Feb. 27 - Montreal, QC @ Metropolis
Feb. 28 - Quebec City, QC @ Imperial de Quebec
Mar. 02 - Philadelphia, PA @ Trocadero
Mar. 03 - New York, NY @ Best Buy Theater
Mar. 04 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium
Mar. 05 - Sayreville, NJ @ Starland Ballroom
Mar. 06 - Baltimore, MD @ Bourbon Street Ballroom
Mar. 08 - Norfolk, VA @ Norva Theatre
Mar. 09 - Asheville, NC @ The Orange Peel
Mar. 11 - Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Revolution
Mar. 12 - Orlando, FL @ Firestone
Mar. 13 - Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
You might have liked it more if you got the HOT TOPIC EDITION which includes ...

11. "Dimmu Borgir" (orchestral version) 5:35
12. "Perfect Strangers" (Deep Purple cover) 5:01
13. "DMDR (Dead Men Don't Rape)" (GGFH cover) 4:24

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

5er posted:

I was really disappointed :(

edit, I just paid attention to the avatar, I'm getting tl;dr'd by an R.R. Martin fan, that's some irony.

To be fair, Wild Cards hate George RR Martin more than Varg hates jews.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I hope the only reason NACHTMYSTIUM would do this tour it to buy lots of coke. Ugh!

This is pretty much 100% what it is.

It's funny, I saw Nachtmystium a few months back in Raleigh, and I was asking their merch guy why they didn't have any shirts.

"We went on a lot of drug binges before the tour and forgot to order the shirts... hopefully we'll have them in the next few days."

Ha

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

QPZIL posted:

This is pretty much 100% what it is.

It's funny, I saw Nachtmystium a few months back in Raleigh, and I was asking their merch guy why they didn't have any shirts.

"We went on a lot of drug binges before the tour and forgot to order the shirts... hopefully we'll have them in the next few days."

Ha

Speaking of Nachtmystium shirts, I was browsing their online merch and they got about 30~ more of those sick rear end "White Powder not White Power" shirts in. So, buy 'em up.

And, I'm absolutely NOT going to miss that Nachtmystium show in Orlando. Not too happy about them opening up for Cradle of Filth (the crowd is going to be literally annoying) but hey, it's one of my favorite bands coming to Florida. That's good news.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

5er posted:

Dimmu

To be honest the worst part of this album is how inconsistent and schisophrenic it feels. Some songs just jump from one part to another without any connection whatsoever (like the absolutely loving retarded beginning of Renewal). It's like they had too many rough sketches so they decided "what the hell, let's just cram all this poo poo together". Also you got PEM's name wrong, you are hereby demoted to the lowest tier of dimmu borgir fan hood and forced to listen to ISD for all eternity.

Having said that Born Treacherous and Gateways are awesome and I listened to them more times than ulillillia looped his sonic 3 tracks

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

What a weird-rear end lineup. To be fair it's when Turisas will have their new record out and it helps to be buoyed by the continued popularity of Cradle of Filth, but Daniel Lioneye? Seriously?

That said, I bet the backstage parties will be good on that tour.

Clean Cup
Mar 4, 2009

"FEARnet and Decibel Presents: Creatures From The Black Abyss Tour"

Feb. 01 - Houston, TX @ Warehouse Live
Feb. 02 - Dallas, TX @ Palladium Ballroom
Feb. 04 - Tempe, AZ @ Marquee Theatre
Feb. 05 - Pomona, CA @ Fox Theater
Feb. 06 - Las Vegas, NV@ House of Blues
Feb. 08 - Los Angeles, CA @ Club Nokia Live
Feb. 09 - San Francisco, CA@ Regency Ballroom
Feb. 11 - Seattle, WA @ Showbox Theatre
Feb. 12 - Spokane, WA @ Knitting Factory
Feb. 13 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom
Feb. 15 - Edmonton, AB @ Edmonton Events Center
Feb. 16 - Calgary, AB @ MacEwan Hall Ballroom
Feb. 18 - Englewood, CO @ Gothic Theatre
Feb. 20 - Chicago, IL @ House of Blues
Feb. 21 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave
Feb. 23 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Club Zoo
Feb. 25 - Detroit, MI @ Harpo's
Feb. 26 - Toronto, ON @ Sound Academy
Feb. 27 - Montreal, QC @ Metropolis
Feb. 28 - Quebec City, QC @ Imperial de Quebec
Mar. 02 - Philadelphia, PA @ Trocadero
Mar. 03 - New York, NY @ Best Buy Theater
Mar. 04 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium
Mar. 05 - Sayreville, NJ @ Starland Ballroom
Mar. 06 - Baltimore, MD @ Bourbon Street Ballroom
Mar. 08 - Norfolk, VA @ Norva Theatre
Mar. 09 - Asheville, NC @ The Orange Peel
Mar. 11 - Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Revolution
Mar. 12 - Orlando, FL @ Firestone
Mar. 13 - Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
ugh I love nachtmystium. what do i do?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Clean Cup posted:

Go, and leave when their set is finished?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

5er posted:

Go, and leave when their set is finished?

But then you'd still be giving money to Cradle of Filth :(

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn
Be sure to show up in a Nachtmystium shirt so everyone knows what you're there for

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I'll be there for Turisas.

Clean Cup
Mar 4, 2009

Anathema Mameshiba posted:

Be sure to show up in a Nachtmystium shirt so everyone knows what you're there for

Yeah this is pros the best solution. Also ill do a lot of drugs. Just so its really clear.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Clean Cup posted:

I think I'm gonna go just to see Nachtmystium. I'll wear my Ministry With Sympathy shirt and powder my nose just to make drat sure everyone knows who I'm there to see. I went a few years ago to the CoF tour just to see Satyricon and SepticFlesh open. It was all assholes and elbows after I got to meet Satyr and Frost following their set. Even if you can tolerate CoF's set, their fans are so drat... ...ugh!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

I think I'm gonna go just to see Nachtmystium. I'll wear my Ministry With Sympathy shirt and powder my nose just to make drat sure everyone knows who I'm there to see. I went a few years ago to the CoF tour just to see Satyricon and SepticFlesh open. It was all assholes and elbows after I got to meet Satyr and Frost following their set. Even if you can tolerate CoF's set, their fans are so drat... ...ugh!

At the Orange Peel? I was there :hfive:

Cradle of Filth is always fun to watch for maybe one or two songs while you're still watching Dani Filth and thinking, "hee hee, he's so tiny!" After that it just gets boring. But my girlfriend loves CoF so I had to stay the whole time :(

Annnnnd I'll no doubt have to do the same at the CoF/Nachtmystium show.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

fozzie dunlop posted:

But then you'd still be giving money to Cradle of Filth :(

That's a very difficult point you bring up, but you know some of that would at least go to the opening band you went to see. It's not just 'in spirit', you'd still be paying the band you cared about too.

"But my girlfriend loves CoF..." Isn't that the way of it? CoF is 'scary metal' for squeamish goth girls that still want some academic-enforced respect for claiming to appreciate Austen and Tennyson.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

5er posted:

"But my girlfriend loves CoF..." Isn't that the way of it? CoF is 'scary metal' for squeamish goth girls that still want some academic-enforced respect for claiming to appreciate Austen and Tennyson.

My boyfriend loves CoF, it's what I used to persuade him to drive me to the MA show. :3:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I've never seen CoF live, but I did like them in 1998~ so I guess I'll stay just to watch. I know they're not going to be good though. No Nick Barker and Dani's voice is just ripped to shreds...if there's a bar there, I'll definitely be sitting there watching.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

keratas posted:

I wish I could see Absu live. I have to make do with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jBuZJM7stc&feature=relatedmaniac

Blows my mind every time.

I saw them at MDF, then drove 3.5 hours with my best bud to see them across the state. Both times Proscriptor did this super silly, obnoxious, high pitched scream...it was amazing.

I always want to meet him (he was at mdf 2010 too) but he eludes me always!

But they are sick live, tight as gently caress and amazing.

e- I saw Cradle on the Viva La Bands tour- and I think I was just bitter about CoF headlining over Gwar and the wacky goth-y crowd.

In hindsight, they still do some of the stage show stuff and the people that come out are a pretty diverse bunch- from the goths to some old schoolers to some closet metalheads.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Optimum Gulps posted:

For you and anyone else in the mood for folk/black metal, it would be a shame if you didn't hear Nokturnal Mortum's latest release Голос Сталі (The Voice of Steel). It's fantastic and currently has a 98% average on Metal-Archives. Easily one of the best of [barely] 2009 for me.

I second this motion. This CD is quite loving good. Track four, "Ukraine" is also just drat gorgeous.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

thepitgoddess posted:

I saw them at MDF, then drove 3.5 hours with my best bud to see them across the state. Both times Proscriptor did this super silly, obnoxious, high pitched scream...it was amazing.

Yeah the overtone scream is silly. Did he also do "We arrrre Absu from Texasssss" in a really high-pitched hissing scream?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kaiho posted:

Yeah the overtone scream is silly. Did he also do "We arrrre Absu from Texasssss" in a really high-pitched hissing scream?

Why would a black metal band not scream everything in between songs like that?

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Kaiho posted:

That, and he said he felt "welcomed into our community or town." I almost died laughing. Cake though, was MDF, when he like, jumped up, held his sticks in the air and went "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" in the most high pitched, pterodactyl tone I've ever heard. I wish someone had captured it on camera, but I think everyone was in shock.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

thepitgoddess posted:

That, and he said he felt "welcomed into our community or town." I almost died laughing. Cake though, was MDF, when he like, jumped up, held his sticks in the air and went "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" in the most high pitched, pterodactyl tone I've ever heard. I wish someone had captured it on camera, but I think everyone was in shock.

He did this horrible inhaled squeal when I saw them. I guess that's what you're talking about?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

He did this horrible inhaled squeal when I saw them. I guess that's what you're talking about?

Yeah, seems we're all talking about the wordless squeal-scream in tribute to the Mighty Drum Stick.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

drat, just looked through my newspaper and saw Nifelheim is doing a gig in my town tonight. :(
Together with a band from brazil called Volcano, who are "legendary", but aren't on Metal Archives. :confused:

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

drat, just looked through my newspaper and saw Nifelheim is doing a gig in my town tonight. :(
Together with a band from brazil called Volcano, who are "legendary", but aren't on Metal Archives. :confused:

That would be because the band is actually Vulcano.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Nifelheim is amazing. I hope you went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorrorJunkie
Dec 12, 2006

My heart's as full as a baked potato!

You are a fool if you missed out on Vulcano.