Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

First Time Caller posted:

I want to create a wordpress blog with 9 sub-sites such that when I post to the "main" blog i can delegate to which of the sub-blogs the post gets re-published at. These sub-blogs need to be mapped to their own example.com domain. I'm assuming the wp3.0 "networks" concept is what I need to use here, along with a third-party plugin called WPMU Domain Mapper (which I'm also assuming works with a WP "Network")

Am I thinking along the right lines here? Any good resources on developing this out?

Yes, that plugin should work for remapping subdomains to regular domains. For more information on multi-site installations, visit the Wordpress Codex.

As for multisite republishing, (if I understand you correctly) you also want to make sure posts appear on certain sub-blogs on a per-post basis. You are going to want ThreeWP Broadcast.

Lareous fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Question--how do I get a post's pictures to show in an RSS feed? Is this supposed to be automatic or do I need a plugin of some sort?

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

Question--how do I get a post's pictures to show in an RSS feed? Is this supposed to be automatic or do I need a plugin of some sort?

I don't have a plugin for that installed and images appear in my blogs RSS feed. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken but I think that should appear automatically.

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
I'm working on an index of China-related blogs and while I have most of the basic info down, I'm not satisfied with the homepage. What I'd like to do is list categories (travel, photos, etc) and beneath those have a slider that shuffles different links and descriptions around. Looking on CodeCanyon, all the sliders there are for images (featured post kind of deals).

Can anyone suggest a solution that I should check out? I've searched on Google and aren't sure where to find such a script.

Oh yeah, here's the site: https://www.chinabloggers.info

edit: I think this might be what I'm looking for although I'm still open to suggestions: http://www.appletcollection.com

ProdigalSon fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 26, 2010

marcel_proust.
Jul 30, 2009

Ok hopefully I'm asking this in the right place.

I work for a not-for-profit legal service operating in a regional area. After some adverse comments at our AGM I've finally managed to convince our co-ordinator that we need a website. I'm not computer literate at all and after some research I've managed to secure a domain and reliable hosting.

Given our limited funding (and the fact that probably <10% of our clients have internet access) we can't really justify hiring someone to develop the website and so I've been reading up on Wordpress and how we can basically DIY.

My question basically relates to themes. Is anyone aware of a free theme that would suit a community organisation like ours? Basically all of the free themes at the Wordpress website are very geared towards blogging (which I totally understand), however we'd basically just need a home page that introduces us and then a menu of pages dedicated to certain areas (education, areas of law we cover, law reform projects, etc). Basically we'd want to remove the timestamps and the "recent posts" category, etc so it doesn't appear to be a blog. Can anyone suggest a theme that would work for this or am I completely wrong in thinking Wordpress will suit us?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Use Twenty Ten and pages instead of posts. It should work out just fine.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Ned posted:

Use Twenty Ten and pages instead of posts. It should work out just fine.

Yep; install WP, then:

under Settings: Discussion: Default article settings -> disable "Allow comments on new articles"

create a page called "Homepage" or some such (make "About" not your only page, basically)

under Settings: Reading: Front page displays -> choose a static page, choose the "homepage" you made earlier.

Now add the content you want in pages, not posts.

You now have a very simple "static website" framework, that gives you all of the benefits of WP, but doesn't behave like a blog at all.

(aside; I habitually use the plugin "page menu editor" to dislocate the on-page main heading from the menu item label when doing this with a site)

Any template that cocks up when you do that is a bad template.

Note that there are plugins such as "list category posts" that will allow you to embed categories of posts as dynamic content in pages, meaning you can have areas of a "page driven" site that are in fact post driven (so "news", "events" type sections etc) - without having to resort to custom page templates with rewritten loops or anything (which tends to result in a site the client cannot understand how to update)

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Probably been answered already but don't know which keyword to use: is there a plug-in that lets me have a blog within a blog?

See, I have a CMS/blog that I use to post articles and reviews but sometimes I just want to post little snippets that's more suited for a journal. It would also be cool if there's a widget I can add on the sidebar that shows the latest journal post I made.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

marcel_proust. posted:

Given our limited funding (and the fact that probably <10% of our clients have internet access) we can't really justify hiring someone to develop the website and so I've been reading up on Wordpress and how we can basically DIY.

I've got a how-to website that might help you get started and I'd be willing to walk you through some of the WP basics as well. Since you don't have plat, shoot me an email at cocteau32 at gmail and I'll hook you up.

marcel_proust.
Jul 30, 2009

Thanks for the help guys :) It sounds like it will be fairly straightforward now. Cocteau, I will likely email you once we get access to the domain.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Disharmony posted:

Probably been answered already but don't know which keyword to use: is there a plug-in that lets me have a blog within a blog?

See, I have a CMS/blog that I use to post articles and reviews but sometimes I just want to post little snippets that's more suited for a journal. It would also be cool if there's a widget I can add on the sidebar that shows the latest journal post I made.

I think the easiest way to accomplish that would just be to make a separate category and use a plugin like this, then link to it however you'd like; there are indeed widgets that will display posts from a certain category.

If you want a completely different theme/set of plugins though, you'd want to do a multi-site installation and create a second blog. There are a couple widgets that will display those posts on your main blog or even easier just stick the RSS feed from the second blog in the sidebar RSS widget on the main one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I want to create a Wordpress "showcase" that lets my (prospective) customers log onto a site and change the theme without having to go into the wp-admin section at all. Basically, we want to give out this address to customers and say "this is what we can do, what kind of designs are you looking for?"

Is there a good theme or plugin to do this?

e: I'm also interested in "rebranding" the Wordpress admin/posting interface to have a company's logo on it - is this possible?

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 28, 2010

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Gyshall posted:

I want to create a Wordpress "showcase" that lets my (prospective) customers log onto a site and change the theme without having to go into the wp-admin section at all. Basically, we want to give out this address to customers and say "this is what we can do, what kind of designs are you looking for?"

Is there a good theme or plugin to do this?

e: I'm also interested in "rebranding" the Wordpress admin/posting interface to have a company's logo on it - is this possible?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for as far as letting them change the theme without going through WP. Why not utilize what they would normally see anyway? You can just set up a demo site with a known username and password and automatically reset the database every hour or so.

Here's a link I found for some dashboard fixes to rebrand and customize the dashboard so you can limit what someone sees.

http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/10-wordpress-dashboard-hacks

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

excidium posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for as far as letting them change the theme without going through WP. Why not utilize what they would normally see anyway? You can just set up a demo site with a known username and password and automatically reset the database every hour or so.

Here's a link I found for some dashboard fixes to rebrand and customize the dashboard so you can limit what someone sees.

http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/10-wordpress-dashboard-hacks

Sorry, I should have been clearer. We want to be able to give a url to the customer that they can visit, easily browse between available themes by pressing a button ("like a "Next Theme" button or something) and then pick out the design they like the best.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Gyshall posted:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. We want to be able to give a url to the customer that they can visit, easily browse between available themes by pressing a button ("like a "Next Theme" button or something) and then pick out the design they like the best.

Check out http://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/wiki/ThemeSwitcher

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
This was me earlier this evening: :stare:

A couple of people that run a website on a server I host were asking me to look at updating their theme or changing over to one that I'm working on.

Backstory
* Two of them plus me have admin access in WordPress to the website.

* They do WordPress updates when I do, which is usually a week or two after the update is released, which means they are running the latest and greatest. They also do it the way I do since I email them the file. Everytime there is an update, I take the official WordPress zip file, delete the wp-content directory out of the archive, upload it to the server, delete all WordPress files except for the wp-content directory, the wp-config, and one or two other necessary files. Everything else is deleted and the archive file is extracted. This is overly complex, but once you are used to it, it's surprisingly fast. It also means that outside of wp-content and the wp-config there is very little that is not deleted and then replaced WordPress-wise every time there is an update.

* They do plugin updates through the dashboard and they stay on top of those.

* They stay on top of spam and have most of the stuff on the site blocked off to prevent comment spam.

* There are 20 or so users in addition to us, but nobody is supposed to be approved above "subscriber"

* Everything on their account is backed up once a week automatically on my end, but they have the WordPress database backup running through the dashboard a few times a week just to be safe.

* I rarely login except to change my password every so often and as far as I know, they change their passwords every few months or soon.

* No forums on the site. There were forums (this comes into play later on in this post)

* I keep an eye on CPU/memory on the server just to make sure that no sites are behaving funny. I've caught run-away sites/forums that have beem infested with spammers by keeping an eye on that stuff.

The story

So I hop on and am looking at what plugins they have installed (nothing unusual and nothing I'm not running on anything else) as well as their menus and stuff in preparation for customizing the theme a bit. For some reason I take a look at the user listing, and for whatever reason I click on show administrators.

I see four administrators, and the 4th administrator is somebody I'm not familiar with.

I hop on Skype, ask who had admin access, one of them says just me and the two of them.

I immediately go :stare:

I tell them to get on iChat so all three of us can talk.

I tell them to go to the dashboard and look at the users and click on Administrator.

They immediately go :stare:

I poke around and the 4th admin is apparently using a made up domain address for the email or a domain that appeared to not be available when they signed up, and they registered in December of last year. The other two guys don't recall the account name and they've never had anybody above subscriber. This person has been around for nearly 11 months.

At this point, I hop onto the server side, go in and delete everything but WP-content and the wp-config and one or two other related files, throw in new WordPress files, and throw in a hastily edited copy of the theme I had been messing with. Deleted their theme plus the default theme, delete the plugins directory, re-upload all of the plugins they had, go back in to the admin side, make sure everything is still okay and up and running. I pull the database info and password and toss that into a new wp-config and replace their old one just because I'm paranoid at this point. I also check .htaccess for anything funny, as well as look for anything out of the ordinary elsewhere in the directories.

Meanwhile I've got them pouring through emails to find anything related as well as Googling for any information on the 4th admin.

I download a copy of their database, search through it with a text editor for anything related to the account.

Nothing turns up in a search of the database other than the actual user account information. Nothing about the account editing any pages or posts whatsoever. They can't find anything relevant in any emails or Google. They also can't find a registration email from the account, which makes me think exploit of some sort.

I'm debating seeing if I can play match the user with their actions in the raw logs of the server - I've got a backup of their site from the end of the month (December of 2009) in which the mysterious 4th admin registered.

One of them remembers they were running some forums for a few months around that time with a bridge to WordPress. They don't have details, but I'm going to pull the backup from that month and look at just what they were doing, because they said they had a problem with spammers and decided to delete the forums and remove the plugin.

If I had to guess, the phantom 4th admin was able to do something with some forum exploit around that time to get admin access. From what I can tell looking through the database, they didn't seem to touch any posts or pages which is odd. It could be that they were only able to create the account somehow and then not exploit it. Yes, a spammer might have harvested the email addresses of other users and then moved on, but I don't see any spammer passing up the chance to insert some links into some old posts, especially the ones that were apparently hitting their short-lived forums.

At this point it looks like they didn't touch anything for whatever reason. I don't know a good way to look at the last login of the account, just when it was created. I've come across plugins that will tell you the last login once they've been installed and have been running, but nothing that can pull data out of the database before.

We've knocked the subscribers down to "no role" temporarily and sent them email discussing some upcoming changes (BuddyPress) so it didn't sound suspicious. Obviously we've knocked the 4th admin down in access. I'm leaving it at subscriber and may install a plugin or two that tracks login data and see if they login again, but it seems odd that they didn't touch anything - revision histories for everything goes back to early 2009 and that account didn't mess with any from a search through the database.

They had full run of the place for nearly 11 months and didn't seem to do anything.

It could very well have been a bot that hit an exploit in the forums software and got an admin account on both the forums side and WordPress side without realizing it got admin on the WP side, or being able to do anything with admin on the WP side. The bot could have reported back that it got a forum admin account and with automation being what it is, the only damage was done on the forums (which were deleted not long after this).

That's my :stare: story of the night.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 29, 2010

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

I've got this plugin running:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/login-logger/

It presents a nice little log and it shows IPs and failed login attempts, last logins, etc.

Of course it only works as it gathers data - it can't pull any information from anything prior to the plugin being active.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
There are exploits that can scan all sub-directories of each user's home directory for passwords inside of configuration files. If any password found this way matches the ftp or cpanel password of the username found in the home directory, the exploit marks it down. With that, the exploiter could easily login to cpanel (if you have that set up) and import their own information through phpmyadmin. They could also easily execute a script that inserts the new admin user into the database, since they already have access to the server and just pulled out the username/password to the database. This would not send a new user message through WordPress.

A lot of things need to be wrong for this to work (exploit in some other non-wordpress account, poor server php configuration, password in wp-config.php is the same as ftp/cpanel) but I've recently dealt with that on some (terrible) shared host with some websites that I inherited.

Not sure if that helps or not :(

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Thanks, I will look into those. I do know the wp-config.php and ftp/cpanel passwords were different, but I'm still going to look through the stuff you mentioned.

I'm pissed at myself, and they are pissed at themselves, for not catching another admin account since it wasn't exactly hidden from view. I am going to check backups every two months back to December just to make sure that this wasn't a recent promotion to admin.

I'm leaning towards contamination from the forum and whatever bridge plugin they were using because they mentioned having to delete a lot of afdjsaklfda@fjdaslk.com type of accounts in WordPress from the forums. They thought they had the forums set to where they had to approve accounts and that there was a probation period of sorts (X amount of posts had to be approved before they could post without prior approval), and yet spammers were able to get accounts and post a lot of spam without being approved.

I've got them manually going through every post and page just to make sure nothing was planted through say phpadmin if the person got access to that and injected them manually. In theory, there should have been no phpadmin problems since database/ftp/wp-config/etc. passwords were all different.

I'm leaning towards the bot or whatever getting access through the forums and not realizing it had access to the WP side. A lot of those bots seem to scan looking for various forums, drop a 100 or more posts in there linking too all manner of sites, and then move on to creating another account or hitting another site and coming back later (if they come back at all). Forums are low-hanging fruit for them for the most part. Given that WP is pretty drat secure by itself, and with Akismet, etc., catching a lot of spam, it's much easier for the spammers to focus on forum exploits.

I also did a lot of reading on WordPress, and I have even more appreciation for it now than I did a day ago, which is saying a lot. Like you said, for them to have pulled something off on the WP side, there has to be a lot wrong with the server setup and it would have to take advantage of non-WordPress related stuff. One of the vectors is the types of bridge plugins I mentioned.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

My sites got hit via a weakness in the forums this past summer, I have SimpleMachine Forums and someone registered and uploaded a photo for an avatar that was a file that got them access into the directories and malicious code was inserted in wordpress footers. It was all automated scripts and they inserted the hacked php files in several directories, but wiping everything fixed it and they did nothing to the registry I could find. The forums were supposedly protected against that sort of attack but it didn't work. (either that, or they got in through another method that i couldn't identify, but the infected files - c99 - were almost all based in the forums and that's where the logs show the connection attempts go) Though even now seven months later I get thousands of automated attempts to connect with the hacked php files, but the files aren't there so everything just fails. I only use the forums for communicating with my writers anymore so I've shut off new registrations as 90% of them were just spammers anyway. I've heard that some of the third party wordpress plugins have problems from time to time.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

On a related note, they were using SMF I believe. I haven't had a chance to work all the way back to the setup they had with the forums. For the first name of the phantom admin account, there was a bunch of Javascript which maybe how they got access through the forums. The forums then just passed the account info onto WordPress. The Javascript could have been a byproduct of something else and was accidentally inserted in there, but I don't know.

Two things saved them from having really serious issues:
1) When they do the WP upgrades, all WP files but a few plus WP-Content are being wiped out.
2) When they gave up on the forums, they had me do a theme and at that time I deleted all of the old themes.

A rough estimate is that within a few weeks to a month of the account being setup, we had completely wiped out all previous WP code plus all WP themes, in addition to the forums, which wiped out everything with the admin account being the only remnant. They can't edit the themes with the admin account either.

If they were aware of what they had, they could have quietly spammed the WordPress side by sticking links and ads in old posts and pages that have been around for 5+ years. Some of the pages and posts rank pretty high in Google. It maybe more time consuming than getting something into the footer, but it would have been worth 5-10 minutes of throwing 15 or 20 links in there and it would be less prone to being caught and/or deleted.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

I really can't wait for the bbPress plugin to be fully functional. I'd feel a lot better with something like for forums these days, outside of going with a commercial company with an actual staff.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

tonelok posted:

I really can't wait for the bbPress plugin to be fully functional. I'd feel a lot better with something like for forums these days, outside of going with a commercial company with an actual staff.

I'm also waiting on this, it will make my life a lot easier.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How do I go about including another PHP application in my plugin if I'm going to be offering it out for free download? Specifically, I may use PHPExcel to do some importing of Excel documents. I don't fully understand what the license states.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Doh004 posted:

How do I go about including another PHP application in my plugin if I'm going to be offering it out for free download? Specifically, I may use PHPExcel to do some importing of Excel documents. I don't fully understand what the license states.

PHPExcel is released under the LGPL. Basically, you can do whatever you want with the code as long as any changes you make to the LGPL'd files are also released under the LGPL. It's not viral like the normal GPL, so you can pick your own appropriate license for your own code.

Keep in mind that Wordpress itself is GPL, so if you're basing any of your code on modified Wordpress code, you may need to release it under the GPL anyway.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

McGlockenshire posted:

PHPExcel is released under the LGPL. Basically, you can do whatever you want with the code as long as any changes you make to the LGPL'd files are also released under the LGPL. It's not viral like the normal GPL, so you can pick your own appropriate license for your own code.

Keep in mind that Wordpress itself is GPL, so if you're basing any of your code on modified Wordpress code, you may need to release it under the GPL anyway.

I don't plan on changing any of the PHPExcel code, just using its engine to import information into the plugin.

I'd imagine I'd release the plugin as GPL. I don't plan on selling the plugin or making any money off of anything. I just don't want to get screwed over by something I was unaware of after I release something.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Simple: what's a good AdSense plugin? The ones I'm finding through the plugin manager have okay-ish ratings whatever that's worth. Preferably widget-based so I can just drop a widget to a widget area.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NotShadowStar posted:

Simple: what's a good AdSense plugin? The ones I'm finding through the plugin manager have okay-ish ratings whatever that's worth. Preferably widget-based so I can just drop a widget to a widget area.

I like Easy Adsense. It may not be as flexible as you're looking for, but it's easy to use and enforces the Adsense 3 ad rule, meaning you have have it popular at the beginning of the post and it will only show as many as is allowed on the home page (or disable it completely if you want).

I hear good things about WhyDoWork as well.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

NotShadowStar posted:

Why don't you just throw the adsense code into a widget in the first place?

Text-based widgets are one of the default widgets in WordPress.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
I've been using Advertising Manager which seems okay. The Analytics plugins I've been used to using had nice interfaces that just needed your Analytics ID and the rest you can control right through the control panel.

I'm really new to the whole 'making money on your website through ad traffic' thing. Absolutely everything else I've done before has some sort of internal purpose or a supplement to an existing thing, so this is all really new and weird to me. And impossible to find information on with lots of searches going to site like http://make-money-with-your-google-flaccid-seo.br.info/YOU_WON_A_HOG.cfm

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Sarah Palin's new Alaska reality TV series is proudly hosting its blog on WordPress and using the TwentyTen theme :911:

http://spalaska.com/

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

First Time Caller posted:

I want to create a wordpress blog with 9 sub-sites such that when I post to the "main" blog i can delegate to which of the sub-blogs the post gets re-published at. These sub-blogs need to be mapped to their own example.com domain. I'm assuming the wp3.0 "networks" concept is what I need to use here, along with a third-party plugin called WPMU Domain Mapper (which I'm also assuming works with a WP "Network")

Am I thinking along the right lines here? Any good resources on developing this out?

It was updated a few days ago and now ignores the primary domain if need be.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

http://wpcandy.com/reports/updates-for-donncha-rennicks-plugins

quote:

Caoimh and Ron Rennick have updated Domain Mapping, the WordPress Multisite Plugin that allows for domains to be mapped to individual blogs on a network. In the most recent version, as Caoimh describes:

quote:

[The] new version … [includes] a new feature that allows you to ignore the “primary domain” on your blogs. It has the potential for duplicate content if a blog can be found at multiple domains but some people need this feature. With careful organisation of content this can be avoided.

The Multisite Plugin Sitewide Tags is almost ready for a new update, with added thumbnail support from Rennick, but Caoimh asks those who are able to test the development version.

Sitewide Tags - http://ocaoimh.ie/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags/

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
I'm looking a bit of advice, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm making a site for a friend on wordpress, and one of the features needed is kind of a "wishlist". Where theres buttons on a list of products and then a page that displays a full list of all the products added to the list.

It doesn't have to be done by registered users or saved or anything like that (but it might be useful), but I've got no idea how to even approach this.

To explain a bit better say theres a page with a list of a lamps on, you can scroll down the list, click a button on a few of them, go to a different section (say tables or w/e) and do the same, then go to a wishlist page and see a complete list of the ones you've selected.

I know it sounds more like an ecommerce thing, but I'm trying to build to exactly what this guy wants. I've had no luck finding any kind of plugin, and I've already told him this isn't very likely to happen because 1. I'm doing this for free and 2. I don't have the time spend ages on it.

But, it's worth asking!

Oh yeah, edit for one last quick question. Is there a chunk of php code to pull the post tags and display them through the loop? I've got a simple loop that calls posts in category X and displays them along with featured image working fine, but adding the tags would be nice. And searching for actual tag information on the codex brings up anything and everything not specifcally stuff about the "post tags"

Midnight- fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 3, 2010

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm not sure of any specific plugin that does what you're looking for, but from a design standpoint you're looking at either session management or cookies to store their "wishlist" since a login isn't required.

It actually shouldn't be that hard to design the code on your own if you're a php guy, you just want to store product unique IDs in a session or cookie, then build a page to parse that data and redisplay the products. You could do this with products stored in a table, json, or xml... whatever is easiest for you/the client really.

I don't really understand your tags question since I'm not sure how you're hoping to integrate it with what you made, but hopefully this helps or gives you an idea for design/what you're looking for on the other thing!

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Ok, that gives me a starting point, thanks.

As for the tags, basically I just want the php code that will pull the tags associated with that post and display them.

I have a template with a loop that calls every post in a specified category, formatted how I like it. I just want to pull the tags from those post and list them at the same time as the thumbnail/title/excerpt.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Midnight- posted:

Ok, that gives me a starting point, thanks.

As for the tags, basically I just want the php code that will pull the tags associated with that post and display them.

I have a template with a loop that calls every post in a specified category, formatted how I like it. I just want to pull the tags from those post and list them at the same time as the thumbnail/title/excerpt.

Oh, okay, I get it now. Give this a try:

http://phpdoc.wordpress.org/trunk/WordPress/Template/_wp-includes---category-template.php.html#functionget_the_tags

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
How do you use wordpress.org's plugin directory to search for a plugin?

I seem to be getting horrid or random results. All I want is some plugin that would
a) Display a list of tags for selection (Like "chicken", "soup")
b) Retrieve all posts with the selected combination of tags ("A post about chicken soup")

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
Does this exist? I'm looking for a plugin that lets anonymous authors log-in with Twitter.

I see plugins for anonymous posting and plugins for Twitter integration, but so far nothing that handles both. There's a lot out there, what's the preferred plugin choice?

What I need is to let anyone looking at the site/blog post to it, with the option of just giving their name, or if they have a Twitter account, logging in with that. The same thing but for Facebook as well is a plus, but not strictly necessary.

BuddytheRat
Aug 14, 2005
I am working on a theme from scratch using custom post types for an event list. Works great, but all of a sudden, I can't view single event posts without being logged in. I have a template file called 'single-event.php', which works fine and displays the event posts, but when I log out, it shows not only the wrong template file (the sidebar is wrong) but there is no post information, so it spits out the "No post to display." message.

Any ideas?

The website is https://www.foxvalleybahai.com if that helps.

BuddytheRat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Is there some kind of edit flag/command somewhere in there that was left in or added by mistake that is triggering the login requirement?