Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Yeah well I binged through Glee and I love it. I thought I would despise it, but I suppose Once more with feeling was my favourite Buffy episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Flatscan posted:

Every episode you watch increases the estrogen in your system. By the end of season 2 you'll be on your period.

I'm mid-season 3 now and I've grown some :sonia:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

kaworu posted:

I'm admittedly a little concerned, because I've heard there's a bit of a drop-off in quality after season 1.

Well, there are a lot of opinions on that, but I'll just say that Seasons 1, 2 and 4 are all generally popular. The only season that is said to have a major drop-off in quality is Season 3. But as I said in the show thread a while ago, you have to watch it because that season is where we get all our thread in-jokes from.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Randy Rand posted:

Basically because they completely hosed Sarasen over and Sarasen owns through and through.

You dick over a character I like? You're on my shitlist.

I'll go ahead and spoil it in case you want to put your mind at ease: JD's dad goes from being an unwelcome presence to an out-and-out bastard in season four, and season three ends with him convincing the boosters to fire Coach Taylor (who ends up defecting to the run-down, inner-city West Dillon High) and replace him with JD's personal trainer.

JD himself also becomes a bastard in season four, rather than an impressionable little boy guided by an overbearing father. For serious, if you hate JD now just wait until you're halfway through season four.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
Watching HBO's In Treatment off a friend's recommendation. Enjoyed the first season. I'm about mid-way through Season 2, and honestly don't care about any of the patients this season except for April (the girl with cancer and an autistic brother). Jesus, the entire week is made up for by the :cry: strings her episodes can pull on me.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I have the week off and have managed to binge the first seasons of Veronica Mars, Twin Peaks and Modern Family.

First off, I will say that I am watching Veronica Mars due to E4 showing it every day at 12:10 and having a backlog of Sky+ recordings. The relevance is that each episode is clearly heavily censored (extremely awkwardly-edited violence and swearing) and one particular episode was pushed back to midnight without my knowledge and wasn't picked up on the Sky box. Anyway, rant aside I'm extremely impressed with what I'm seeing; it's basically like Brick made into a tv series (high school noir, etc), the season-long murder mystery was extremely well handled, the performances are impressive across the board and the finale is up there with the best I've watched. Above all else, I think that Kristen Bell is a revelation in the lead role and drat it, now I really want to see her career take off.

I will say though that I've also watched the season 2 opener and although I was very impressed with almost everything about it (especially the brewing class war), the last twist with the bus crash was a little :psyduck: but I have faith that the show can win me back.

Modern Family is the kind of show I absolutely loving adore, an ensemble comedy with stand-out performances, memorable and varied characters and is to boot genuinely funny and endearing. The comparisons to Arrested Development are valid, but I think that Modern Family has much more of a heart than AD ever did (not to diss AD, obviously) and the characters are more flawed but with good intentions rather than the delicious villainy of AD's characters. And hey, I didn't even hate the iPad episode like everyone else seemed to.

Twin Peaks.... Ah man, Twin Peaks. I just... I know that it's an outstanding show, I just can't help but get this feeling that I'm just not smart/perceptive enough to enjoy it on more than its most basic level. This is more down to me than the show, however, which I know is, again, outstanding. I've got season two to go and I'm willing to sit down and pay it more attention and care than I normally give to television.

Laura's Theme is loving heartbreaking, one of the best television compositions I've ever heard. It seriously chokes me up every time I hear it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Adrianics posted:

Twin Peaks.... Ah man, Twin Peaks. I just... I know that it's an outstanding show, I just can't help but get this feeling that I'm just not smart/perceptive enough to enjoy it on more than its most basic level. This is more down to me than the show, however, which I know is, again, outstanding. I've got season two to go and I'm willing to sit down and pay it more attention and care than I normally give to television.

Laura's Theme is loving heartbreaking, one of the best television compositions I've ever heard. It seriously chokes me up every time I hear it.

You're not missing anything. It's weird for weird's sake. Like Yoko Ono.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Adrianics posted:

Twin Peaks was amazing in its day, not sure how well it would hold up if I was just seeing it for the first time now (although I suspect fairly well). Don't worry if you're feeling like there are things you aren't picking up on, some stuff is never fully explained even in Fire Walk with Me and is debate fodder for internet nerds to this day.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
FNL season 4 status: amazing and depressing as poo poo

:qq:

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
JAG, season 3. It's...okay. The law stuff is kind of interesting, it's amusing how "old" it is, and to be honest, the pilot stuff kind of bores me. I do like the characters, though, for the most part. Mac is growing on me, though I liked Meg a lot. Bud and Harriet are cute to watch, and I love the difference between Harm and the character in Scoundrels that the actor played.

I have to say that I use most of the episodes as background noise. Every so often I rewind to a scene, or realize that hey, this is actually decent and I should start at the beginning and pay attention. But generally I'm trying to get through it for the sake of getting through it.

And the theme song. Gah. It never fails to get stuck in my head.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Adrianics posted:

Don't pay too much attention to the middle of Season 2. Things go pretty far south for a bit, but then it all ends strong, so stick around until the finale. So far as Fire, Walk With Me...I don't really know what to say about that. It's not bad, but don't go in expecting answers.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Randy Rand posted:

FNL season 4 status: amazing and depressing as poo poo

:qq:

How far are you? There's one episode early on that is incrediblely sad.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

trigger9631 posted:

How far are you? There's one episode early on that is incrediblely sad.

I'm all caught up and I watched the season 5 premiere already.

Yea this show really kicks you in the goddamn gut... 'The Son' was the best episode of the show though and possibly one of the best episodes in all of television.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Just finished episode 5 of Veronica Mars. So far it is amazing and they hit every note perfectly splitting up the over-arching mystery with the stories of the week. I mean, not even Buffy did it this well.

I have a feeling they're leading us to suspect the mother of Lily Kane, but somehow I don't think it will end up that simple.

Also, I have hated Kristen Bell in almost everything she's done after this with the exception of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Why couldn't she keep taking roles as amazing as this? Her Heroes character made me mad at how pointless and seemingly one-dimensional she was, and knowing that she has the potential she shows in this show, it makes that character even worse. She's really drat good in this.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
My brother and I are about halfway through season 6 of Lost. We just finished the episode after the Richard one. First few episodes sucked, but it's picked up again. It's interesting; really only seasons 1 and 4 haven't had lovely starts that have made me unsure about the show's direction. I really like the shift in tone and theme, even if there's some plot stuff that doesn't quite gel with what we've seen already (like the motivations of the Man in Black and the Others - the Others in particular have been wildly inconsistent in the way they've operated throughout the whole series). I'm also really pleased that Ben has ended up on Jacob's side.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

My brother and I are about halfway through season 6 of Lost. We just finished the episode after the Richard one. First few episodes sucked, but it's picked up again. It's interesting; really only seasons 1 and 4 haven't had lovely starts that have made me unsure about the show's direction. I really like the shift in tone and theme, even if there's some plot stuff that doesn't quite gel with what we've seen already (like the motivations of the Man in Black and the Others - the Others in particular have been wildly inconsistent in the way they've operated throughout the whole series). I'm also really pleased that Ben has ended up on Jacob's side.

How could you not like Season 2's intro?! That basically blew America's collective mind when it first aired.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

William Pahllace posted:

How could you not like Season 2's intro?! That basically blew America's collective mind when it first aired.

THEY TOOK MY BOY MY SON MY SON THEY TOOK ME SON WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT

I liked Desmond and all, and the first couple of episodes weren't drastically bad, but it seemed like they were spinning the wheels a bit, which was hard to take especially after season 1 seemed so assured and confident in the story it told. It's telling that I don't really remember anything about season 2 until Ben comes in towards the end, at which point it becomes ridiculously cool. Season 2 might have my favourite finale, as well.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I think he meant the Desmond intro to season 2 episode 1 when you find out what is in the hatch, which I clearly remember being one of the biggest WTF moments on TV when it aired. It was brilliantly done and now you're making me miss Lost. Lost really did season openings and closings really well.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
House, I've watched 19 episodes in 4 days :)

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Boston Legal, it took a couple of episodes to find its feet but now it's most definitely awesome.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Two seasons into Six Feet Under and I'm completely loving it. I don't know what it is about this show but almost all of the characters are just so drat interesting and convincing.

... with the notable exception of Brenda and her family. I hate her smug crap and all the drama with her parents and brother feels so bizarre and out of place, every scene with them feels like they were lifted up from a terrible show and dropped into this show that I enjoy.

powder 2 da people
Nov 7, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Tender Bender, you're so lucky. I'd pay so much money to have my memories of SFU wiped away so I could watch it all again for the first time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Get used to her and her hosed up family

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I flew through all of Lost in 2 weeks. It started to get a little iffy in the middle but I daresay the very last episode of the series was as perfect as you're gonna get.

Before that I powered through The Wire and Deadwood, holy poo poo those were good. Right before Sons of Anarchy season 3 started I blew through the first two seasons as well, god drat thats an awesome show. I might wait till season 3 is over just so I can watch every episode in a row.

Lastly I gave a Glee a shot and love it, finished the first season in a few days. I'm thinking of starting on The Shield and Rome, although after being guiltily spoiled by Spartacus I'm not sure Rome will live up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yeet posted:

I flew through all of Lost in 2 weeks. It started to get a little iffy in the middle but I daresay the very last episode of the series was as perfect as you're gonna get.

Before that I powered through The Wire and Deadwood, holy poo poo those were good. Right before Sons of Anarchy season 3 started I blew through the first two seasons as well, god drat thats an awesome show. I might wait till season 3 is over just so I can watch every episode in a row.

Lastly I gave a Glee a shot and love it, finished the first season in a few days. I'm thinking of starting on The Shield and Rome, although after being guiltily spoiled by Spartacus I'm not sure Rome will live up.

Rome is better. It is awesome and if you like that era I suggest I Claudius. It is different from those two shows but really good

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rome has its respectable share of tits, gore, and debauchery. You're gonna love it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Do Rome before The Shield.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The first three minutes and forty seconds of episode 9 of Veronica Mars was AWESOME. Seriously, they just condensed what would have been a whole episode's worth of detectives work on any other show into that short a time, and drove home that she was both resourceful and also extremely driven.

The pacing was perfect.

For those trying to remember, she just worked backwards from a photo of her to the person taking the photo by figuring out the place, date, and time the picture was taken, then getting a receipt from the photographer's lunch that had a name that she followed. Then the name turned out to be the head of security at Kane software.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Rome is better. It is awesome and if you like that era I suggest I Claudius. It is different from those two shows but really good

I would watch Rome and then go into I Claudius. You're only missing about fifteen years that way and the majority of that nothing really happened anyway. And it would be amusing that the kid on Rome grows up to be Brian Blessed. :v:

In fact that's such a clever idea I think I may do it.

Kekekela posted:

Twin Peaks was amazing in its day, not sure how well it would hold up if I was just seeing it for the first time now (although I suspect fairly well). Don't worry if you're feeling like there are things you aren't picking up on, some stuff is never fully explained even in Fire Walk with Me and is debate fodder for internet nerds to this day.

Something occurred to me when I read this post: Twin Peaks was The Prisoner of the 90's. Brilliant, trippy, almost the same episode count. The first two thirds of those episodes were brilliant then the last third weren't but they made up for them with a completely mindblowing final episode.

Okay, technically the last two episodes of the Prisoner were brilliant but the finale of Twin Peaks was double length so we can count both Prisoner episodes together. It all works out.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Started watching Fringe, up to ep 13 of season one. The premise of the show is pretty interesting in an "out there" kind of way, and Walter's character is all kinds of awesome. But does anyone else loath and despise Olivia's character. I'm not sure why, but it's the same feeling I get when thinking of Dexters sister (note* I have not seen any eps of this seasons Dexter). Maybe because they are both seem like incompetent police officers who take their job very seriously despite completely relying on other people to get results.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Reggie Died posted:

Started watching Fringe, up to ep 13 of season one. The premise of the show is pretty interesting in an "out there" kind of way, and Walter's character is all kinds of awesome. But does anyone else loath and despise Olivia's character. I'm not sure why, but it's the same feeling I get when thinking of Dexters sister (note* I have not seen any eps of this seasons Dexter). Maybe because they are both seem like incompetent police officers who take their job very seriously despite completely relying on other people to get results.

Deb on Dexter is nothing even close to that character description :confused:

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Deb on Dexter is nothing even close to that character description :confused:

Yeah maybe not, sorry. I haven't watched it since last season (binged through the first seasons then watched it weekly). What I do remember is really hating the character, but I can't explain why.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
I'd like to add that the Larry Sanders Show is an older series that is totally worthwhile to marathon. I could see how it looked more cutting-edge to do that show-within-a-show in the mid 90s but it was fun to see actors and comedians that are more famous now pop up in the show.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
In the last calendar year, thanks to Hulu, Netflix, and rentals, I have burned through:

Star Trek TOS
Star Trek TNG
Dexter
Weeds
Lost
30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Rocko's Modern Life
Ren and Stimpy

All watched marathon style when not working or sleeping, several watched through a couple times. I think I have a problem...:(

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Kekekela posted:

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm watching season 1 of Lie to Me and enjoying it. :ohdear:

I liked Season 1 a lot more than I'm liking season 2. I haven't even been able to make it through half the episodes they've shown since they came back.

The last thing I binged was Community (even though I saw it when it was broadcast) when I got the DVDs. It's so hard to binge anything when you've got more new TV to watch than you can get through every week.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Been binging through Entourage, currently up to 5x09. It's a decent enough show, but watching a few episodes in a row really make you annoyed at Drama's constant bitching and how much of a background reactionary character Vince can be.
Anything with Piven's Ari is completely awesome. Lloyd is hilarious. This show is such a bromance.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I went through Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I honestly just want to take a shotgun, an M16, couple of grenades and go to a rampage through Fox headquarters.

Then I want to marry Summer Glau.

At least Firefly got a decent conclusion.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I'm probably the only other person you'll meet who loved Sarah Connor Chronicles as much as you did.
Also had a mancrush on how cool BAG was. The ep with John and him at the training academy or whatever was awesome. Cromartie is awesome. John Henry is awesome.

WTFPWND
Mar 16, 2004

You may have won this time, but next time you shall be WTFPWND!
I have at least 2.5-3 hours a day to burn while commuting to/from work. So I've been burning through TV series DVDs for the last year and a half. So far I think I've done the following:

Lost - Seasons 1-5. I'll be doing Season 6 next week
Seinfeld - All 9 seasons
Friends - Currently on Season 10
Ally McBeal - All 6 seasons. Dont judge me, you bunch of Glee watching women!
Freaks and Geeks - Entire series
Weeds - 3 seasons and got bored with it
Heroes - 3 seasons and got bored with it
King of Queens - All 9 seasons
Two and a Half Men - Finished season 6. Just got season 7. Will watch soon.
Chuck - The 3 seasons released on DVD so far
The Big Bang Theory - Just got season 3
The State - Entire series
The Guild - All 3 seasons on DVD so far (I think s4 just came out though)

Things in my queue:
How I Met Your Mother - Seasons 1-5
Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Seasons 1-5
Undeclared - Complete series

I have things like ST:TNG, Breaking Bad, and a couple of others, but I really need more "sitcom" type programs that are more auditory than they are visual, as I am in fact operating a motor vehicle (I'm sitting in < 10 MPH bumper to bumper traffic. Spare me the lecture.)

Based on my above previous watched selections, what else would you recommend. Would prefer things that already have their entire series on DVD. But if it has a bunch of seasons out, thats good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

WTFPWND posted:

but I really need more "sitcom" type programs that are more auditory than they are visual, as I am in fact operating a motor vehicle (I'm sitting in < 10 MPH bumper to bumper traffic. Spare me the lecture.)

I really wouldn't know what shows to recommend someone who can't actually watch them. It's not something I've ever really thought about. I was going to say 30 Rock, but the visual gags make that show a lot of the time.

What shows do you think have worked the best so far as audio only? (For example, I imagine you'd miss a bunch with Heroes) I'd be curious which rely on the visual medium of television the least.