Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

I don't think I saw anyone reply to your post. You need to loosen the brake line at the hard line to soft line connection, using flair nut wrenches to preventing strippage, and straighten the hose. Then tighten and bleed.

Yeah, thanks, I figured in the end I needed to adjust the hard line ends. I was just trying to avoid touching them (and potentially loving up the hard line), but it's all fixed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Thanks for the advice on the steering rack, I will do that a little later as now my fuel pump died. I checked the voltage to the pump and its fine... I want to hug the guy who designed this car, I mean, an access cover under the back seat? So much better than GM-ilk, with the removing the tank and what not.

The air boot really did the trick. Previous owner thought duct tape could fix every thing. I changed the plugs and ran great until the fuel pump keeled over.

Here is the next question for any one who has done this... The trunk lock is broke, previous owner decided to try and drill it out, with the drill bit still in there. I already took the back seat out, no access hole. Any tricks into breaking into the trunk?

Doh fuel pump!

If you're going to be covering yourself in fuel, change the fuel filter while you're doing it. It's an easy thing to ignore when people stop doing regular maintenance on their old beater, so my guess is it was last done the last time a BMW dealer saw the car. Also cheap and easy, once you remove the years of mud and poo poo coating it and as long as the fuel line isn't rock-hard from age.

I have no tips on breaking into your trunk, as mine is a Touring. The locks are a common failure point, for whatever reason. You get bonus concours points for a set of locks that all use the same key and all work with the central locking.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hey guys, looking to pick up my first BMW. Needs some advice. Here is one:

I couldn't say what it was, the model badges were gone. Manual, had 145k miles on it. I don't think its worth 3500 but I can negotiate. The sales staff didn't seem very interested in helping me out so I'm unsure on the year either. convertible 2-door if you couldn't tell. Paint has some small dings here and there, but overall it's straight and in decent shape. interior was good and the rag-top didn't have any tears or anything, but looked a bit faded.

And sitting right next to it:

535i. I couldn't get the miles, the side windows are very tinted. Paint was in great condition. Something about the price makes me nervous, that and I've heard the price of parts spikes sharply going from a 3-series to a 5. I'd imagine it's got scads of miles.

I've got a bit of mechanical know-how short of pulling a motor, I can deal with some work. I plan on swinging back by on Saturday and taking a more in depth look, but not before I get some idea what to look for on these, what potential/common/expensive problems they may have?

Edit: sorry. fixed broken tables and obscenely large images.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 25, 2010

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Chances are neither of those is going to have any kind of service records available. Definitely take that into consideration before making a purchase. At the very least I would take either car to a reputable mechanic (preferably one that specializes in BMWs) to see if anything is of immediate concern.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

Chances are neither of those is going to have any kind of service records available. Definitely take that into consideration before making a purchase. At the very least I would take either car to a reputable mechanic (preferably one that specializes in BMWs) to see if anything is of immediate concern.

My co-worker's father owns a small shop I was thinking of taking it by.

As for service records I beg to differ, the silver one has a Jiffy Lube sticker :haw:

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Willfrey posted:

Hey guys, looking to pick up my first BMW. Needs some advice. Here is one:

I couldn't say what it was, the model badges were gone. Manual, had 145k miles on it. I don't think its worth 3500 but I can negotiate. The sales staff didn't seem very interested in helping me out so I'm unsure on the year either. convertible 2-door if you couldn't tell. Paint has some small dings here and there, but overall it's straight and in decent shape. interior was good and the rag-top didn't have any tears or anything, but looked a bit faded.

And sitting right next to it:

535i. I couldn't get the miles, the side windows are very tinted. Paint was in great condition. Something about the price makes me nervous, that and I've heard the price of parts spikes sharply going from a 3-series to a 5. I'd imagine it's got scads of miles.

I've got a bit of mechanical know-how short of pulling a motor, I can deal with some work. I plan on swinging back by on Saturday and taking a more in depth look, but not before I get some idea what to look for on these, what potential/common/expensive problems they may have?

Edit: sorry. fixed broken tables and obscenely large images.

You want the 535i, especially if it's a 5 speed.

Well, I mean, not for that price -- but 2k maybe depending on how it is mechanically.

Moxie Omen fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 26, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Jorsh posted:

You want the 535i, especially if it's a 5 speed.

I have a E34 525i with a 5 speed and I can agree with this. Atrocious gas mileage on the 535i but with a five speed its just gotta be a ton of fun to throw around. My 525i feels very quick and the 535i has about 20hp on it.

I'd say for that era the 3 and 5 series are pretty much even for parts prices. The E34 just loves to munch suspension parts though. Especially the ones with the heavier engines. Not sure if its a problem on the E30s.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I've driven more than a few miles in a '89 535i w/ a 5 speed and it's loving ridiculous how much that car will push you back into your seat when you stomp on it. M30's rule and the bottom ends are loving indestructible.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jorsh posted:

I've driven more than a few miles in a '89 535i w/ a 5 speed and it's loving ridiculous how much that car will push you back into your seat when you stomp on it. M30's rule and the bottom ends are loving indestructible.

Going to chime in here as well -- since fuel economy isn't a huge concern (otherwise you'd be looking at the typical Honda/Toyota econo-snooze) I'd absolutely recommend the 535i. Bigger, quieter, torqier and nearly as capable in the handling dept as the (presumed) 325i.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Did north america ever get e34 535 tourings (with a 5speed)? I would push my e30 out into the street just to have an e34 wagon with some grunt.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
So do the E30s eat suspension parts like the E34 does? My early impression of the E34 suspension is that its very impressive in both handling and comfort but they seem to have achieved it by using a assload of arms and bushings everywhere.

Not that I mind too much. So far everything has been insanely easy to take apart. Its like they knew you'd be swapping out struts and arms all the time.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Willfrey posted:

Something about the price makes me nervous, that and I've heard the price of parts spikes sharply going from a 3-series to a 5.

Where did you hear that? There's really not much to it.

The 535 is cool, good simple engine with a great sound and nice power.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Out of the two, definitely the 535. But don't buy a basket case just because it's there. Have you tried E30/E34/general BMW forums for private cars in your area?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
http://jalopnik.com/5673591/how-fans-forced-bmw-to-fix-this-faulty-fuel-pump

Apparently BMW is making some major announcement on this later today... my car is currently being put together in Munich.

:negative:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I definitely wish I'd gone for the 5 series instead of the 3 when I bought my car. I was afraid of the increased maintenance costs, but it turns out that there really isn't much difference. And the 525i has the same engine as my car anyway.

3500 is waaay too much for both of those cars though. I'd offer 1000-1500 for either, which you know the dealer will balk at. Which is why you don't buy these cars from a dealer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My friend has a 2007 335i with 50k miles on it. He just got his HPFP replaced under warranty, along with the revised tune. He's experiencing abnormal lag still and the tech at the dealer that did the warranty work thinks it could be carbon build up on the intake valves. They're proposing to walnut-shell blasting things after taking the head off, for $650.

My friend got another quote from a rival dealership to clean it with liquids sprayed down the throttle body (or somewhere upstream), for $370. This place mentioned they've seen cars come in at 40-50k intervals having build up.

Does anyone have experience with the efficacy of either technique? Can shops confirm buildup with a fiber optic camera?
It seems like if buildup is present in quantity, and the liquid approach was effective, then $370 would be worth it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

I definitely wish I'd gone for the 5 series instead of the 3 when I bought my car. I was afraid of the increased maintenance costs, but it turns out that there really isn't much difference. And the 525i has the same engine as my car anyway.

3500 is waaay too much for both of those cars though. I'd offer 1000-1500 for either, which you know the dealer will balk at. Which is why you don't buy these cars from a dealer.

Yeah, point taken. Went there again today. Milage on the 5 series: 210k. It was an automatic. I heard it run and it had an obnoxious power-steering whine.

Also the interior was kind of trashed in spite of their best efforts to spruce it up. I gave it a closer look and the body lines in it's hind didn't look very clean, possibly was rear end-ended at one point, and probably explains the fresh-looking paint. Again these bozos didn't seem too eager to help me out, I'm sure they'd of changed their attitude if they knew I had 2k in my back pocket.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check for local clubs and craigslist, gold isn't my color anyways.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I pulled my blower fuse, put the same one back in, and now my blower works again. No funny noises or anything.

:iiam:

I'll keep the cheap one I got off of ebay just in case...

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Willfrey posted:

Again these bozos didn't seem too eager to help me out, I'm sure they'd of changed their attitude if they knew I had 2k in my back pocket.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check for local clubs and craigslist, gold isn't my color anyways.

No they wouldn't. See that phrase above the price? This is a tote the note car lot. I represent a bunch of these guys. Cash buyers are not their target audience. They get $500 down, something every week for a few weeks, repo the car and start all over again, again and again and again.

When my 16 year old needed a car I thought I would find one of my clients with a tote your note lot and buy it from him for cash. He clued me in, "You do know I am in the finance business and not the sale business don't you."

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
How are high mileage BMWs? I'm eyeing a 2001 740i as my weekend/leisure vehicle but it has 145,000 miles. If the maintenance records checkout how likely is it that this will end up being a money pit? It is only $6,000 and just from eying it quickly looked to be in really good shape. Anything in particular to watch out for?

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
Suspension needs to have been replaced, cooling system (all of it), brake system+tires, and that block can be prone to oil leaks imo. You'd want to check all the electronics and windows as well. If all that checked out I'd consider buying it. At that kind of age these things should have been replaced once already.

doogle
May 24, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

My friend has a 2007 335i with 50k miles on it. He just got his HPFP replaced under warranty, along with the revised tune. He's experiencing abnormal lag still and the tech at the dealer that did the warranty work thinks it could be carbon build up on the intake valves. They're proposing to walnut-shell blasting things after taking the head off, for $650.

My friend got another quote from a rival dealership to clean it with liquids sprayed down the throttle body (or somewhere upstream), for $370. This place mentioned they've seen cars come in at 40-50k intervals having build up.

Does anyone have experience with the efficacy of either technique? Can shops confirm buildup with a fiber optic camera?
It seems like if buildup is present in quantity, and the liquid approach was effective, then $370 would be worth it.

The "liquids sprayed down the throttle body" is just seafoaming the car. It is a good idea to do it since the engine is direct injection, but it won't help with the lag.

The lag is caused by the new engine software, it is pretty well known on the e90/1addicts boards. There is even newer software that eliminates the lag, but it isn't out yet for all configurations as far as I know. The service receipt from the dealer should have the software revision on it, you can compare that with software revisions on the e90post boards to see if it is indeed the one that causes lag (99% sure it is).

Definitely don't get the walnut blasting, that poo poo costs too much money and won't do poo poo for the lag. If he gets an aftermarket tune (jb3/proceed v4) then it will eliminate the lag as well, but he might want to wait until he is out of warranty.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really loving torn whether or not I should take delivery of the car now. Nothing else drives like it with 2 Doors, AWD, and 6MT. But just ugh, why haven't the Germans figured out this whole reliability thing? Sure it's an N55 and not the N54, but it's basically the same loving pump, etc. The only major difference is twin scroll instead of twin turbo.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was reading about that recall, and have BMW actually made a new pump to replace the old faulty one with? It seems that all they're doing is issuing a recall to all models, but people who complained and got it replaced previous to this recall have had the pump fail and need replacing multiple times.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Only thing different is you get a recall letter in the mail. The 933 pump has been out for a few months now. They might not even be replacing every pump, the letter says something like 'will replace the pump and/or upgrade the software based on the service records'. Which may mean that they will just update the software if you don't have any symptoms of a failing HPFP (long cranks, codes stored, CEL), which is what they have been doing for a while now.

edit:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I was reading about that recall, and have BMW actually made a new pump to replace the old faulty one with?

There have been like 3 different HPFP revisions, all of them have seen failures. But the newer pumps with updated software have seen a LOT fewer failures than the 2007 pump with 2007 software. It is getting a lot better, but there are still failures. The 2011s are starting to see a few now, they have used the 933 pump since they came out.

doogle fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 27, 2010

doogle
May 24, 2003

quote != edit

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I think the pump problem has been hugely blown out of proportion by a combination of whiny bmw owners and the media. Yes, it's very annoying to have to get your pump replaced every 30,000~miles. Yes, there is a problem with the pump. However BMW was never hiding the fact, they increased the warranty on the pump and always replaced it free on N54 and 55. I assume if they didn't get this crappy press coverage they would have kept re-working the pumps until they got one that is fixed and THEN issued a recall. Now it's like they're just being forced because ABC and other news outlets are picking up on the story.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's the low end for a CLEAN E36 these days in a major city (DALLAS)? 4 door, good paint, no collision damage, cold AC etc. Is $3600 really too low to ask for a clean E36 in this economy? That's a hefty chunk of change for a car with 180K miles, even if the cars are good for another 40-60k.

Edit: asking what the city price is. I'm aware you can knock off $1000 if you're willing to drive 3 hours to the country to look at one.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Hadlock posted:

What's the low end for a CLEAN E36 these days in a major city (DALLAS)? 4 door, good paint, no collision damage, cold AC etc. Is $3600 really too low to ask for a clean E36 in this economy? That's a hefty chunk of change for a car with 180K miles, even if the cars are good for another 40-60k.

Edit: asking what the city price is. I'm aware you can knock off $1000 if you're willing to drive 3 hours to the country to look at one.

MY exGIRLFRIEND just bought a '94 325i in excellent condition with upgrades and a stack of maintenance records an inch thick. ~165K on the clock. Sedan, auto.
$2800, Bay Area, CA. I personally think she could have bid him down to $2500, but the price was more than fair.
I bought my '92 325i with 144K for $2K from a friend.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
This is obscenely overpriced right?

http://victoria.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1987-BMW-3-Series-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ237593242

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

That's more than 3x the price I would expect to pay for it around here.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Time had come for the scheduled oil service (this is the simplest service for BMWs, the more thorough services are called Inspektion I and II respectively) and I picked it up from the BMW center yesterday. The price for an oil service these days (in Denmark)? 6750 DKK = 1,249.43 USD.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Rnr posted:

1,249.43 USD.

That is absolutely ridiculous for an oil service, even a full Inspection I should not cost anywhere near that... or your currency conversion is way off. I change my oil myself for only ~$70 USD, and that MAY be as high as $150 USD at a dealership...

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rnr posted:

Time had come for the scheduled oil service (this is the simplest service for BMWs, the more thorough services are called Inspektion I and II respectively) and I picked it up from the BMW center yesterday. The price for an oil service these days (in Denmark)? 6750 DKK = 1,249.43 USD.

I know the USD is junk right now, but holy poo poo

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do you have an extra 0 in there or something? $1300 to get your oil changed is something I'd expect on a Ferrari or Lamborghini not a BMW.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Rnr posted:

I paid 4600 NOK today for transmission oil, coolant, power steering fluid and a clutch flush on my 1995 323i. $780 USD :(

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Do you guys not have garages? That kind of money would pay for the supplies you need plus a round trip airfare to the US to buy them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

rscott posted:

Do you have an extra 0 in there or something? $1300 to get your oil changed is something I'd expect on a Ferrari or Lamborghini not a BMW.

$1300 is the amount I would expect on the loving Titanic. Seriously, modern cars haven't changed that much with respect to simple oil changes.

I'm assuming that's the dollar equivalent and that I'm not missing anything.

I always like to bring up the time a Mini dealership quoted me $1200 to do the brakes, but a $1300 oil change knocks that right out of the drat park.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fermunky posted:

That is absolutely ridiculous for an oil service, even a full Inspection I should not cost anywhere near that... or your currency conversion is way off. I change my oil myself for only ~$70 USD, and that MAY be as high as $150 USD at a dealership...

Hell, I pay $80 at the local dealer when I don't have time to do it myself. If I didn't like working on cars I couldn't justify doing it myself since it ends up costing a bit over $70. I can't even comprehend the idea of paying more than $200 or so for an oil change, and that would be for a big engine that takes a lot of oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

wolrah posted:

Hell, I pay $80 at the local dealer when I don't have time to do it myself. If I didn't like working on cars I couldn't justify doing it myself since it ends up costing a bit over $70. I can't even comprehend the idea of paying more than $200 or so for an oil change, and that would be for a big engine that takes a lot of oil.

That was my point. I've never even gone to a Jiffy Lube for an oil change, so I had no basis really on how much a dealership oil change costs. $1300 is roughly the cost of just removing the head from my car at a indy shop.