Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Dumb question, but what is a cheaper alternative to GW's PVA glue for basing my minis? Some people have been saying elmer's glue, but that sounds a bit iffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Miles O'Brian posted:

Welp, I tried to make the stock Exorcist a little less ridiculous, but keep some of the flavour. What do we reckon, better or worse?

But I love the organ of death!

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Dumb question, but what is a cheaper alternative to GW's PVA glue for basing my minis? Some people have been saying elmer's glue, but that sounds a bit iffy.

GW PVA glue isn't that expensive, gives you heaps of glue to work with amd works fine for me. It's not like when we say get non-GW superglue or plastic glue because those suck.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 27, 2010

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

AbdominalSnowman posted:

I use this glue: http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/E430?filterPath=craft/

Regular grade-school elmer's glue is terrible for basing because it doesn't stick to the plastic of the base, but the craft glue works really well.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I use regular old Elmer's as well as generic equivalents and have never had a problem.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Me too, but I don't ever put it on bare plastic/metal. I always prime, then paint the base my chosen color, then slap on the glue.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Any PVA glue (a.k.a. craft glue, white glue, etc.) will do, since they're all basically the same. Just make sure you water it down some.

On a related note, I recently found clear PVA glue, I wasn't aware it existed.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

MaliciousOnion posted:

Any PVA glue (a.k.a. craft glue, white glue, etc.) will do, since they're all basically the same. Just make sure you water it down some.

On a related note, I recently found clear PVA glue, I wasn't aware it existed.

Most PVA glue dries clear. I remember seeing some clear or transparent blue Elmer's glue back when I was in grade school, though. I thought it was pretty cool, but my mom wouldn't let me get any. :(

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Aranan posted:

Most PVA glue dries clear. I remember seeing some clear or transparent blue Elmer's glue back when I was in grade school, though. I thought it was pretty cool, but my mom wouldn't let me get any. :(

poo poo was cash. We put it on our hands and peeled off glue skins. School owned.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Miles O'Brian posted:

Brazier of Holy Fire redux. I'm still not completely happy with this but the only other option is buying 5 Canoness models and hoping I get the single brazier backpack with each one. :negative:

Yo, I posted this a short while back.. any use?

enri posted:

Right, someone over in the 40k thread vaguely mentioned in passing that they wanted flaming braziers, I forgot who but nevertheless thought I'd share my own technique for making them yourself.

It's a piece of piss, all you need is:

- some green stuff
- a paperclip
- some plasticard tube
- a plastic disc slightly smaller than the plasticard tube (those nobbly bits on sprue are perfect for this)
- a modelling drill
- some thin strips of plasticard

Anyway, start by drilling a hole through the small plastic disc and superglue the paperclip in place, leaving enough poking out each end to work with.

Slap a big lump of green stuff on to the disc, around the paperclip, enough to push your piece of plasticard tube onto and hold into place.

Once that's in place, build up the 'flames' above the plasticard tube and texture the green stuff below the plasticard tube.

When you're done with that, cut some strips of plasticard, apply a few dabs of superglue on the bottom disc of plastic and on the top ring of plasticard tubing, stick them on all the way around and once the glue has set, trim them down (but be careful, plasticard strips that tiny tend to be quite fragile)

Anyway, because pictures speak louder than words, here's some pics I took whilst I whipped a brazier together:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Silhouette posted:

Congratulations, you've discovered dipping

Sorry I hurt your feelings because I'm a lazy 'ham who prefer to get ten models painted instead of one in the same amount of time.

Will this make up for it?

its dipped as well

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
gently caress Striking Scorpion arms. One out of five actually fits in the loving model. ARGH!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The plague furnace fumes were what, thraka green over sunburst yellow or something?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty much

Thanks! Pretty good for a dip-job, eh? :smug:
VVVV

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 27, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'll remember to steal it then, because it looks fanfuckingtastic, dude.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

enri posted:

Yo, I posted this a short while back.. any use?

Thats actually pretty cool, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
This month me and a buddy decided to try to get an entire 2250 point Empire army painted for him to play around with. We live some ways apart and he has almost no painting experience, so we decided that I would paint characters and such in advance and then meet up this weekend and get the bulk of the army speedpainted in the Talabheim scheme. I'm going to do the base colors and he'll handle the washes.

Some WIPs for the stuff I have at hand:

I hated the GW horses pulling the War Altar so I got some buffalo instead. Luthor got a new horse as well.

Priests are magnetized and can be switched for Volkmar on the altar.

There guys are my favourites. LOAD THE MORTAR KARL! PUT THE CANNONBALL IN THE MORTAR OVER THERE!

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I finished the IoB swordmaster unit :cool: I will bulk the unit up to 18 if I actually get around to playing. The banner needs more work but I want to start on the Seaguard while I still have the steam.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh, neat idea on the waves for the Swordmaster banner, I may have to yoink that for my second SM Banner since I'm leaning towards doing a "Naval Expeditionary Force" theme for my dudes because of all the Seaguard and my kitbashed Seaguard Prince/Noble.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Miles O'Brian posted:

Thats actually pretty cool, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

no problemo :cool::hf::v:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, I have another IoB hack-up conversion I to attempt:

Prince Altharn (Griffon Dude) Head/Torso + Swordmaster Standard Bearer Legs + Misc Arms & Bits. Looks a bit trickier than the one I did. :ohdear:

\/\/\/\/ I know exactly what you're talking about! I hope you didn't spill too much, or hit a miniature. :shobon:

Whoa, awesome conversion and scheme!

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
How do you get paint from pots onto your palettes? Right now I've been using a brush, but it takes forever. And I worry that pouring will lead to giant messes and sticky pots.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Either a brush (the big fat #2 that I do most of my painting with these days) or a cheap plastic palette knife.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Pfhreak posted:

How do you get paint from pots onto your palettes? Right now I've been using a brush, but it takes forever. And I worry that pouring will lead to giant messes and sticky pots.

One of the sculpting tools I have has a curved scoop end on it. I just use it to spoon paint out of the pots and onto my palette, then I use it to do my stirring. I tried just using brushes, but I feel like I waste a lot of paint when it gets sucked up into the bristles and I wind up washing it off.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Am I wrong for using the end of my brush to transfer and mix paint? Cause it works for me.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

NecronSchmecron posted:

Am I wrong for using the end of my brush to transfer and mix paint? Cause it works for me.

You're not wrong, you're a motherfucking genius.

I've been using wooden coffee stirrers, breaking off the ends as paint dries to them to prolong their life. I feel like an idiot for never thinking to use my brush ends, and just wipe/scrape off the excess. You've just changed how I mix paint, I think.

Dude. :cheers:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Glad to change one's life. :cheers:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ikke en viking posted:

Sorry I hurt your feelings because I'm a lazy 'ham who prefer to get ten models painted instead of one in the same amount of time.

its dipped as well

1. What is that

2. Looks good

3. Get back on IRC sometime :v:

Ingo Pech
Oct 1, 2010
So dudes, I have some space men that I want to paint two different shades of yellow. What is my best bet for getting a good foundation layer? Whats the best way to paint yellow for that matter?

Ikke en viking posted:

its dipped as well

This is off the hook.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

for paint to pallete I just use knackered old brushes that have absolutely no right to be sitting in my big cup o'brushes, you know the ones.. they're the 'ferrule caked in paint' ones or the 'bristles crazier than your hair in the morning' brushes. To hell with wasting paint. Does the job perfectly fine for me, plus I can thin the paint with the same brush and use it to test the consistency on a spare side of the pallete.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I use W&N 7's for picking up and mixing paint, I also use virgins tears to thin my paints :mmmsmug:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I use W&N 7's for picking up and mixing paint, I also use virgins tears to thin my paints :mmmsmug:

You cry into your paint?

:smuggo:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I use a cocktail stick. One drop from the end of that goes a long way. Never pour from the pot, that'll waste loads.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Sole.Sushi posted:

You cry into your paint?

:iceburn:

For content, I use little eye droppers. They give me plenty of control from pot to pallete.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Sole.Sushi posted:

You cry into your paint?

:smugissar:

Well messing around with painting rust and my second attempt at verdigras looks better than it did on my first attempt. Any recommendations?

Limp Wristed Limey fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 28, 2010

Ingo Pech
Oct 1, 2010
Boy oh boy, I have a billion questions this morning. For my previous yellow question, I want to do a really vibrant Imperial Fists goldenrod and, separately, a very pale, subdued yellow. For the brighter shade, I was thinking of building up a ton of different layers from a bright white primer which is the obvious answer I guess. To do the subdued shade though, I was thinking of going white then something like Astronomican Grey (probably something lighter) but I don't have any ideas for color progression that.

I'm painting a Termie helmet. I want some of the scheme to be really glossy, like obsidian, but have my highlights still be matte. So should I apply glossy varnish with a brush to the areas where I want it and then hit it with matte varnish when I'm done?

Ingo Pech fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 28, 2010

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Silhouette posted:

1. What is that

2. Looks good

3. Get back on IRC sometime :v:

1. Skaven Plague Furnace

2. Thanks

3. I'm picking up my new computer right now after the old one died so I might just do that

edit: I'm just going to download Starcraft 2 and, oh is it December already? :suicide:

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 28, 2010

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Here's my Iron Warriors warband so far - I just finished the Vindicator today, and the Terminators a few weeks ago. The Marines I painted up between the end of 2009 and the beginning of this year, as with their rhino. Because of this they don't look quite as good, but are still looking decent.

I'll start with the Vindicator:

And here with the rest of the army, which have their own individual threads:

And things don't look too good for the Imperial Fists:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey gents, Ive still got some warhammer/nerd related products left in my clearance thread, check em out:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3304041&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post376788083

NOS space marines, tools, glue, plasticard kits, some basing materials, MERCs minis, some p3 paints, a bunch of used early edition eldar, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's the cleanest chaos vehicle I've ever seen.

• Locked thread