Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pastor of muppets posted:

As of a month ago I no longer work in retail, but for almost a year I was a manager at a women's clothing store. On one of my last days working there a customer threatened to sue me because she walked into a mirror.

:stare:
This always amazes me. What is it about these people that makes them so hostile?
I mean, I guess it's just their reaction to hide their shame of walking into a loving mirror but gawd, suck it up. Your own stupid rear end walked into that mirror, how is that the stores fault?

Those things just don't happen here, people are saner I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spankmeister posted:

This always amazes me. What is it about these people that makes them so hostile?

Capitulation to previous hostility.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Libandano Urfam posted:

Me: You did a good job! :v:
I prefer:

Me: I'm sorry sir, but if you printed this note yourself then I can't accept it! :v:

I only tried that once, and fortunately he saw the funny side.

Abominable Toaster
Mar 19, 2009
If I had the chance, I'd want to try:

"Oh... Then I'm going to have to call security." and reach for whatever Id use to call them.

When they start to panic and say it's just a joke, with a serious look on my face:

"Why would you think that's funny?"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
As I've mentioned before I work at a Target Starbucks so since we have a Target cash register sometimes people will ask us to ring them up and we usually don't mind. Sometimes though I like to mess with people and while ringing them up, if they have some folgers or other brand of coffee I'll just stop ringing things up and say something like "oooh I'm sorry but I'm not allowed to sell competitors coffee. I'm going to have to ask you to leave." For some reason everyone believes me every time and starts to apologize for the inconvenience as if they were at fault and should have known better.

Then I put a big smile on my face, they figure out I was joking and we have a good laugh.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009
As of yesterday I no longer work for Gap. I was there for about 4 1/2 months, which was long enough for the customers, the management, and (especially) the corporate culture to really start wearing on me. Glad I got out now, especially with holidays coming up.

I've never felt so distrusted in my life. You're always on camera, and there are tons of little policies and rules to prevent you from stealing anything (they say half of loss comes from the inside). For example, a manager has to watch you any time you walk out of the store, and if you have a bag they have to check it. One morning when I had a terrible cold, me and a manager were the first to come in, and I immediately realized I'd left my medicine in my truck. I asked if I could go get it, but she said, "Sorry, I can't be the only one in the store." (And this was before opening, so it was definitely a LP policy.) This is probably typical retail stuff, but having never worked in that environment before, I was sort of amazed at how little trust they (meaning corporate and our particular managers) had in us.

My GM was a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat.

As for customers, it was disgusting how entitled so many of them felt, as many stories in this thread show. And I was constantly surprised by how many returns we would get--seriously, it seems like people buy stuff intending to return it.

My biggest peeve was probably customers who interrupted me while I was talking to another customer. E.g., I am helping customer A with something, or telling them something while checking them out, etc., and customer B interrupts me mid-sentence to ask a question. God it would piss me off so much. I think because I felt forced to immediately answer their question and therefore be rude to customer A. Also it presumed a lack of a preference for politeness, whether giving or receiving, on my part.

Another big peeve for me is the customer who has their things at the register, you start ringing the items up (perhaps making conversation, or not), and the customer walks away to continue browsing. Jesus Christ, do your shopping before you get up here. If you actually want this stuff then at least hang out for the 60 seconds it takes for me to scan it, I know it's hard but you can at least try.

For me the worst customers generally weren't the confrontational ones (I had few of those, thank god), but the ones who ignored me. I would give a friendly greeting and they would not acknowledge me in the slightest. I understand if you don't want a salesperson hounding you; I'm the same way, I too am forever "just shopping." But gently caress at least have the decency to say hello back when someone says hi.

I also hated this:
:byodame:: *looking intently at jeans*
:v:: *in sweet, friendly voice* Hi, can I help you find a pair of jeans? (OR: Hi, can I help you find a size?)
:byodame:: *coldly* No, I'm just looking *demolishes carefully folded stacks to yank out a pair*

They like to train them young. A woman and her daughter (about 10 years old) came in the other day. When I asked, "What brings you in?", the daughter said, "shoes!" and the mother quickly corrected her, "She's just looking." Probably to the mother's annoyance, I recommended our city flats, which are right over there. :)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Whenever I go anywhere for anything and they ask me what I want I just tell them. If I'm left to my own devices I will be there for six hours looking at two of the same but slightly different product wondering which is better. I just don't have that kind of time.

waar
Sep 29, 2001
I just always treat it as a rhetorical question.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
From what I gathered from the manual I had to read and videos I had to watch, "Can I help you find something?" is retail for "Hi, I've seen your face and I can I.D. you if you shoplift."

manguero
Jul 5, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally one of those to answer, "I'm just looking around, thanks," but I do answer politely, sort of as if a live human being had politely addressed me. (edit: Unless I AM looking for something specific. Then I ask the salesperson where that thing is.) Also I try not to leave huge messes in my wake.

manguero fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 27, 2010

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Having started working in the music/dvd section of a major bookseller (after three years working there), the thing that astounds me is the lack of common communication skills. Looking someone in the eye and asking, "Hi! How are you doing today?" only to have the person turn around without a word... wouldn't their mothers be ashamed of them?

I have another one from last night to post, but it made me so angry despite its small scale that I'm just too pissed to type it out.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

waar posted:

I just always treat it as a rhetorical question.

It's not a rhetorical question. It's one of those regular questions. Whaddya call them? Oh - questions.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

From what I gathered from the manual I had to read and videos I had to watch, "Can I help you find something?" is retail for "Hi, I've seen your face and I can I.D. you if you shoplift."

Actually, it's more of a heads up of "I'm watching you." Also, if you greet people when they walk in, they're less likely to steal.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009
When you really know you're being watched is: "Oh, a top we have over here would go GREAT with those jeans you picked out! :D"

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

manguero posted:

My GM was a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat.

This could easily be an entire thread on its own. We had ours come to visit for three whole days this month - he spent all three holed up in our tiny stock room, sniping at our managers and barely setting foot on the sales floor.

gently caress GMs, gently caress middle management.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Gah. When will customers (and I use that term VERY loosely) realise that starting off with an attitude problem when attempting to return something without any proof of purchase whatsoever, is NOT the best way to endear themselves to me?

Seriously, it's not the law in the UK that you don't need a proof of purchase if something is faulty. It's true, you don't need a receipt, but you DO need a bank statement or something. No, a store carrier bag is not a proof of purchase. Neither is one of our stickers on the item itself, you could have just stuck that on for all I know.

No, I'm not willing to take ''your word'' as proof of purchase.

A lady yesterday threatened to take ME, personally, to small claims court.

Oh, and it's the Sales of Goods Act 1979, not 1969. If you're going to try quoting a piece of legislation that I know only too well, having worked in retail for nearly a decade now, at least know what you're talking about.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Dodgeball posted:

Complete and utter insignificant bullshit that just drives me up a wall is when my co-workers say "How can I help you find something?" I don't know? Aren't you supposed to know how to help me? I know its meaningless, I know its pointless to even think about, but it just irks me so much.

Since I started, my progression of helping guests has gone from "Can I help you find something? to "Need help finding something?" to "Need any help?" to "Need help?" I'm trying to figure out a way to get it down to one word or possibly a grunt.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Fury1671 posted:

Complete and utter insignificant bullshit that just drives me up a wall is when my co-workers say "How can I help you find something?" I don't know? Aren't you supposed to know how to help me? I know its meaningless, I know its pointless to even think about, but it just irks me so much.

Since I started, my progression of helping guests has gone from "Can I help you find something? to "Need help finding something?" to "Need any help?" to "Need help?" I'm trying to figure out a way to get it down to one word or possibly a grunt.

"Nyelp?"

Abominable Toaster
Mar 19, 2009

Fury1671 posted:

The 'Huh?' grunt from Home Improvement

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Fury1671 posted:

This is probably because of some manager who insists on never asking customers a yes/no question. I had one of these. I guess the rationale is that the customer can't shut you down with a simple "no." You're right though; it is a stupid question. A better version would be, "What can I help you find?" Or, you know, just asking yes/no questions because the majority of customers want nothing to do with you anyway.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Dodgeball posted:

"Nyelp?"

Tried it before, my sound and accent make me sound like a female character getting hurt.

Abominable Toaster posted:

The 'Huh?' grunt from Home Improvement

Might work, I'll have to get some practice in though.

manguero posted:

This is probably because of some manager who insists on never asking customers a yes/no question. I had one of these. I guess the rationale is that the customer can't shut you down with a simple "no." You're right though; it is a stupid question. A better version would be, "What can I help you find?" Or, you know, just asking yes/no questions because the majority of customers want nothing to do with you anyway.

The people who said it weren't managers, but I've heard it from a few different people in a few different stores. I'm still going to reply no to you anyway, so save all of us time and just cut that word out. But at least I've had the last two days off to clear my mind and not worry about any nonsense.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just greeted the customers, I could tell wiht 99% accuracy if they wanted to be helped or not, it's just the way they act and look around.

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008
*While I'm busy making coffee, alone in the cafe*
:supaburn:EXCUSE ME!!
:keke: Hi there, I'll be with you in just a second!
:supaburn: ISN'T THERE SOMEONE ELSE HERE WHO CAN HELP ME? I'M JUST STANDING HERE!!

She said it like I had turned around, given her the middle finger, and kickflipped a skateboard out of the store- like, no, lady, I'm not just ignoring you, there really is no one else here who can help you and I really can't drop this burning hot urn of coffee to get you your small iced tea (LIGHT ICE!!! MAKE SURE YOU GO LIGHT ON THE ICE!!) Plus, I saw her walk up to the register, she was there for maybe a total of five seconds before she got into a snit.

Oh and we've started a contest in the store to see who can sell the most sandwich/soup combos. If we sell more than two we get a sticker, if we sell more than five we get a star with SOOUPER UPSELLER written on it. Disregarding the fact that this is incredibly infantilizing for something that literally determines how many hours we get a week, the metric for if we get a sticker or not is if our register number is in when the sale goes down. Which is BEYOND stupid, because a)our register numbers stay in for an infinite amount of transactions unless we log out, which means if we are busy and Coworker A's number is in the register, Coworker A gets the sale even if I rung it up, and b)When we get busy one person is supposed to take drinks and the other person is supposed to ring people up, which means that unless we are exactingly careful in terms of dividing up people's register time (we won't be, because rushes don't work like that) someone is getting screwed.

Blegh. This thread is cheaper than getting another, work stress specific therapist.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules

manguero posted:

My biggest peeve was probably customers who interrupted me while I was talking to another customer. E.g., I am helping customer A with something, or telling them something while checking them out, etc., and customer B interrupts me mid-sentence to ask a question. God it would piss me off so much. I think because I felt forced to immediately answer their question and therefore be rude to customer A. Also it presumed a lack of a preference for politeness, whether giving or receiving, on my part.

Another big peeve for me is the customer who has their things at the register, you start ringing the items up (perhaps making conversation, or not), and the customer walks away to continue browsing. Jesus Christ, do your shopping before you get up here. If you actually want this stuff then at least hang out for the 60 seconds it takes for me to scan it, I know it's hard but you can at least try.

I hate this too. A little while ago, I was talking to a rather nice elderly gentleman about radios and a young lady with a young son just walked up mid-conversation and told me that she'd been waiting ten minutes to be served. My original customer narrowed his eyes and snapped, "well maybe no one here wants to serve you if you're going to be interrupting them every five seconds".

She looked at him and then stomped out.

Then he carried on as if nothing had happened.

Also, I was on the receiving end of some horrible customer bullshit the other day.

Here in the UK we have a chain of clothing stores named Primark. It's full of quite nice on-trend clothing but is a budget chain so it is EXTREMELY popular despite the fact that the materials aren't top notch. After I finished work I popped into our local store to buy some cheap slippers but as the place was about to close it was pretty busy and the queue was very long.

I was waiting about 20 minutes and was getting near to the front when I noticed there was a young girl about 11 or so in the corner of the line. Where the cash registers were positioned there was a 90 degree turning and she was nestled up against the inside of the barriers letting people pass her. As I got closer a middle aged woman and a companion walked up to the barrier, passed this girl some clothes over the top and then clambered underneath. They start talking in French and the woman starts to measure the clothes up against herself and the child.

They finish up and this woman starts looking for a place to enter the queue. At this point I am nearly at the front and my blood rises as I realised she is trying to cut. There is NOTHING I hate more than queue jumpers. It really grinds my gears. I can hear people start mumbling about her behind me.

Naturally she attempts to slide in in front of me, and in doing so actually physically pushes me backwards. As she pushed me I let out a "hey!", more in reaction to the physical interaction than her actually cutting the line on purpose. She IMMEDIATELY whirls around, hands on her hips, and shouts at me in a thick French accent, "EXCUSE ME MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN HERE A VERY LONG TIME SO I THINK IT IS MY TURN NOW."

I blink, taken aback because this woman was radiating angry bitch vibes and is glaring at me with such ferocity that I was actually feeling quite threatened. The cashier called and I skirted around her with a mumbling of "yeah, I think I'll go pay now" and went to purchase my slippers.

I was shaking so hard and was actually really upset. I honestly thought she might have hit me, she was so hostile. Luckily one of the security guards saw and asked if I was OK. I was a bit teary but he said he saw and hoped I'd still shop here in future. As I left I saw him going over to her at the register but I didn't see what happened - I just wanted to go back home.

:( Even if you are a customer, customers suck.

threnody_grey
Jun 27, 2010
I work in a bowling alley (I think I mentioned that a few pages ago) and one of the things that drives me absolutely batty is when I ask a customer if they need help putting names into the computer or finding a ball and they say "No" or "I know how to do it" but always wind up spending 10 minutes staring at the scoring screen in confusion or walking up and down the lanes trying to find a 6-pound ball (the lightest, kid-sized balls we have) with holes big enough to accommodate their XX-Large fingers. Of course, I then get chewed out by management for not helping them in the first place even though they said they didn't need help. :argh:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I work in a call centre, which seems to be pretty much the soul crushing same experience as retail (worked retail for about 2 years, also). It's for a communications company.

One thing about working for a massive telephone company, if any customer says "I HAVE HAD TO CALL EVERY MONTH TO GET MY BILL RIGHT YOU GUYS ALWAYS GET IT WRONG AND HERE I AM AGAIN CALLING AGAIN", this literally means 100% of the time that the customer has called to complain about problems that don't exist every month, and the consultants have not been able to get them to understand anything and the customer has hung up.

Customer called yesterday with the same intro, today complaining that the bill is WRONG and we are charging her 72c for 2second phone calls WAY too many times. It's obvious that she's calling someone, their answering machine is answering the call, and she is hanging up on it each of these times.

:( :THATS AWFUL HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE POSSIBLY CHARGE ME FOR THESE CALLS!!
:) :The person you are calling has a robot that answers the phone for them and talks to you when they are not home. Maybe you could ask them to get rid of that robot, or they could use <Our company's exchange level answering service> which we can detect, and know not to charge you for.
:( :THIS IS TERRIBLE HOW CAN YOU CHARGE ME FOR THESE TINY CALLS WHEN NO ONE EVEN ANSWERS!
:) :Someone does answer at the remote end, we can't tell if it's a human or a robot. You should really ask them to get rid of the robot they're using, it's costing you money.
:( :THIS IS BULLSHIT! THIS IS ALL BULLSHIT! gently caress YOUR COMPANY! NO WONDER YOU ARE LOSING CUSTOMERS!!
:) :No telephone company in the country can tell the difference between a human and a robot answering the phone, this is normal behavior for a telephone company.
:( :BULLSHIT IM NOT PAYING IT!

The call ended with the customer claiming she would take her bill to A Current Affair and we would be hearing about it. She'll just call up next month, get another consultant, and scream into the phone "YOU IDIOTS HAVE DONE IT AGAIN! EVERY MONTH I HAVE TO CALL!"

I also had the following conversation with a woman who sounded, from her voice, about 50 years old, and completely sane. (I don't know any smilies other than :) and :( sorry.). Just keep in mind, we sell telephone service, internet, and mobile service. We are a sales and product inquiry call queue.

:) :How can I help today?
:( :Yes... yes... "How can I help, what can I do for you," ALL I WANT TO KNOW... is... is did she get... she only JUST left now... and I need to know, did she get all the way home... is she there yet?
:) :Hmm... I'm not sure what I'll be able to find out for you, let me just get straight exactly what you need to know toda...
:( :IT'S NOT HARD! Okay?! She has just left, and I have THIS number... THIS NUMBER SAYS <reads out our phone number> AND I JUST WANT TO KNOW!... She took the taxi home about FIVE MINUTES AGO... Is she home yet?
:) :Okay, so you've just had a friend leave your house in a taxi, and you just want to know if she's made it home safely yet?
:( :Yes, now if you can just bring it up for me, which you can just do now, that's all I need, It's not that hard, is it?
:) :*deep breath in... and out* Okay... This is not a service we provide, the information you need to know, and the people involved in the service you're looking for, are not even remotely related to the company you've called today
*interrupts*
:( :THIS IS BULLSHIT! YOU GET PAID TO DO IT! JUST TELL ME IF SHE MADE IT HOME TODAY! JUST TELL ME! IT'S RIGHT THERE JUST READ IT OUT TO ME!
:) :You'll need to discuss this with the Taxi company you used, or you may find a more appropriate company to talk to if you call Directory Assistance, would you like the number for Directory Assistance?
:( :*Screaming uninterpretable nonsense about me not doing my job over the top of me*
:) :You have called <company name> today, we can help with telephone accounts, billing, mobile phone, internet, and pay TV inquiries, would you like the number for directory assistance? Would you like the number for directory assistance? Would you like the number for directory assistance? Would you like the number for directory assistance? Would you like the number for directory assistance?
:( :*SCREAMS, Hangs Up*

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

For everyone who is shopping at Walmart lately, I just want to apologize for the absolutely massive amount of people we have bugging you about credit card applications.

At my store alone, these are all the people that ask if you want to apply for a card:
  • The greeter as you walk in
  • Various associates in the store who are tasked specifically to approach people shopping
  • The cashier
  • A manager, on the customer's way out, who asks if the cashier asked. If they didn't, he'll ask
  • The greeter (again) on the way out

Every single cashier I've spoken to thinks this is bullshit, and we are so very sorry you're getting bugged so much. A couple of us have been complained at (understandably) by customers, and we've let the higher-up managers know, but who knows if they'll let up. The more of you who call and complain, however, the better.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Every single cashier I've spoken to thinks this is bullshit, and we are so very sorry you're getting bugged so much. A couple of us have been complained at (understandably) by customers, and we've let the higher-up managers know, but who knows if they'll let up. The more of you who call and complain, however, the better.

How long have you worked retail? The more they complain, the more the middle management shits on you.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Fury1671 posted:

How long have you worked retail? The more they complain, the more the middle management shits on you.

Three and a half years at my current place, and before that, three years in a gas station. I want out. :(

But I think my store is in some sort of bizarro universe or something. The management is generally really not-braindead, and the customers are pretty cool overall. If enough people bitch, stuff actually does get changed at my store. For example, the cashiers used to only be allowed a bottle of water to drink during their shift if they had a doctor's note. Now we all can! Also, we all have little mini-fans now, which is also cool.

I dunno why they've gone so retarded with the credit card thing, though.

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010
Anyone else here work retail at a resort town? The lovely customers always scream about you ruining their vacation, as if that's some kind of leverage. I want you to have a nice vacation goons, but if a twenty minute wait is all it takes to ruin yours then I'm not the one with the problem.

I once worked in a grocery store with a huge Open 24 Hours sign, but they were closed on Sunday nights. When we announced the closing time, customers would become confused and the older ones would become angry and confrontational. "You can't do this," they would exclaim as if I had betrayed them in the middle of a life or death situation. The sign was a contract, and I was Judas once weekly for three years.

While working at the grocery store, I was a cashier (most of the time) and we would get locked out of our drawers if we had more than $700 cash in there. Someone from the office would have to come to our register and take money back to the safe. I began my shift at the express lane, and my first order was a guy paying cash for $750 in seafood. I could hardly believe it. The office did not. I had to send customers to the office to insist on my (and their) behalf that I was not bullshitting.

I once had a man of seventy, perhaps even eighty years of age approach me and ask "son, where are the condoms? You know, lubbers." I hope I'm that cool when I'm old.

I usually bagged a loaf of bread on top of a carton of eggs. Only the worst caliber of morons prevented me from doing so, and they were always so offended.

Console Parade fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 28, 2010

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Mug posted:

Call center stuff.

Huh. I suspect I'm working in retail for the same company. Well, a franchisee sucking the teat of the same company. I sell and deal with problems to do with phones anyway.

Our big bugbear at the moment is home phones. The company whose brand I wear is in the process of losing its monopoly of both the fixed phone service and broadband wholesaling, and it's still a bit in denial about the whole thing. As a consequence, we are getting absolutely flogged for not selling as many 'bundles' (fixed phone + internet + a massive loving billing dispute the next month like 90% of the time) as we should be, based on the most random loving statistics our deadshit area manager chooses to track, like number of people who walk in and out of our store as measured by a sensor built into the ceiling (always fun when we have kids running in and out of the shop, or a bored employee jumping backwards and forwards across the threshold to gently caress with the stats) and how many customers we've served today, total. When half the poo poo we do is service and repair related. gently caress me.

One of the sweeteners we sell with these magical bundles is a really stupid home phone that costs like $300. It's dumb, if you own one you're dumb and if you buy one it's worth a few bucks commission to me. But because they're an important part of the desperate struggle to not lose all of our fixed connections to mobile phones, they're getting pushed hard. To the point where our area manager passed down the degree that we'd all have to lug one of these stupid loving things around in its box for the day until we sold it. I drew a face on the side of mine and introduced it to customers as my associate George.

gently caress my job.

Abominable Toaster
Mar 19, 2009

BeardedFerret posted:

Huh. I suspect I'm working in retail for the same company. Well, a franchisee sucking the teat of the same company. I sell and deal with problems to do with phones anyway.

Our big bugbear at the moment is home phones. The company whose brand I wear is in the process of losing its monopoly of both the fixed phone service and broadband wholesaling, and it's still a bit in denial about the whole thing. As a consequence, we are getting absolutely flogged for not selling as many 'bundles' (fixed phone + internet + a massive loving billing dispute the next month like 90% of the time) as we should be, based on the most random loving statistics our deadshit area manager chooses to track, like number of people who walk in and out of our store as measured by a sensor built into the ceiling (always fun when we have kids running in and out of the shop, or a bored employee jumping backwards and forwards across the threshold to gently caress with the stats) and how many customers we've served today, total. When half the poo poo we do is service and repair related. gently caress me.

One of the sweeteners we sell with these magical bundles is a really stupid home phone that costs like $300. It's dumb, if you own one you're dumb and if you buy one it's worth a few bucks commission to me. But because they're an important part of the desperate struggle to not lose all of our fixed connections to mobile phones, they're getting pushed hard. To the point where our area manager passed down the degree that we'd all have to lug one of these stupid loving things around in its box for the day until we sold it. I drew a face on the side of mine and introduced it to customers as my associate George.

gently caress my job.

Does it start with a T and end in elstra?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Three and a half years at my current place, and before that, three years in a gas station. I want out. :(

But I think my store is in some sort of bizarro universe or something. The management is generally really not-braindead, and the customers are pretty cool overall. If enough people bitch, stuff actually does get changed at my store. For example, the cashiers used to only be allowed a bottle of water to drink during their shift if they had a doctor's note. Now we all can! Also, we all have little mini-fans now, which is also cool.

I dunno why they've gone so retarded with the credit card thing, though.

At my store they took all the little fans off our registers cause some fat bitch complained about being put on one of the registers that had a broken fan. So poof, no more fans. Of course that fat bitch got fired like 3 weeks after she got our fans ripped out.

Also the cashiers are the only ones who bug anyone about credit cards, and I never ask unless I know I'm being 'audited' (a CSM will stand right next to you checking off a list). Every time someone says 'no' I usually make a comment like "of course not, why would anyone want another credit card in this economy?" while looking directly at the CSM (we are all pretty good friends so I can get away with it). I've also managed to sign up 5 or 6 customers for credit cards by doing nothing - GUESS HOW??? - the loving customers that want credit cards aaaaassssssk "HEY CAN I GET CREDIT CARD?"

We're also supposed to ask if you've found everything OK today, which elicits another joke/quip I'm tired of "AND THEN SOME!" and then the customer goes on about how they came in for socks while I'm in the middle of their ~$200 cart. If they say 'no' to our DID U FIND STUFF question, we're supposed to feign care and write down what they could not find and stick it in a box that sits behind the smoke shop register. That box hasn't been touched by anyone but (new) cashiers in about 6 months.

The 'visual audits' we get are pretty annoying but it's maybe twice a week so if a CSM is creeping around behind you with a clipboard that isn't the front end flow-chart, then you've gotta make sure to:

- Greet The Customer (smile!)
- "Did you find everything you were looking for today?"
- "Would you like to apply for a WalMart credit card?"
- Put customers bags in their cart (if they don't have a cart, or are grabbing bags while you're still ringing them out, figure it out!)
- Inform Customer About Stupid Survey That Prints On Every Other Receipt
- Thank The Cusomer (smile!)

So greeting and thanking and helping the customer with the bags are things that I do 100% of the time anyways, but I only throw the mini-interview in when I know I'm being watched.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 28, 2010

Normalman
Sep 30, 2008

I didn't tell you I have an obsession with destruction. I've made explosives before for everyday use, I will level city blocks just for the thrill.
I've had it with these thieves selling their stolen merchandise in my Gamestop. It's been a problem for a long time and we've finally made a method of dealing with it that works most of the time. If you get a suspicious trade in, (Usually a game that just came out not a day or two ago, either in an obviously untouched case that's still slick to the touch, or just the disc and manual because they had to smash the box in a Wal-Mart bathroom to get the security thing out. And of course, they want cash.) give them the money for it the first time, then take their name down. When the come back in the next day or two with usually the same game, we can refuse them.

Most of them put up a little resistance, but after the clerk simply repeating "I'm sorry, I can't take this." four or five times, they get the hint and simply leave. The guy I got yesterday took it all the way to the breaking point though.

It was the mall's Halloween event, so we were incredibly busy, and the store is full of little kids. About five or six people down the line I see this guy, holding the discs and manuals for Rock Band 3 and Force Unleashed II. For the record, those came out last Tuesday. I recognized him immediately. He and a friend of his had done the same thing with multiple copies of Halo Reach and Madden '11, and had gotten pissed when I wouldn't take more copies of them the next day. He had a little posse of three or four guys with him this time. I was in for it.

When his turn comes, he goes to my new coworker's register, and I immediately switch places. Before I can say a word, he bellows out "NOT YOU AGAIN! This ain't fair!"

:( : "I can't take any of your stuff today sir. I'm sorry."
:argh: : "Why the hell not? You did this to me last time! Why the hell not?"
Sidekick : "Yeah! Why not?!?"
:( : "I can't take any of your trade ins, and if you're going to be yelling like this, I'll have to ask you to leave."
:argh: : "THIS IS BULLSHIT! FUCKIN' BULLSHIT!"
:( : *My hands start trembling. This isn't going well.* "Hey man, please watch your language, there's kids in here."
:argh: : "WELL, IF YOU'RE REFUSING ME SERVICE, I THINK I CAN DO WHATEVER THE gently caress I LIKE!"
:( : "Whuh-a... Uh..."
:argh: : "YOU BETTER CALL SECURITY RIGHT loving NOW, AND THEY'LL MAKE YOU TELL ME WHY YOU'RE DOING THIS."
:( : *trying to sound cool, failing totally* "I-I would love for you to- I would love to- to call security. *dials phone*
:argh: : "I'M GONNA GET YOU FIRED BOY! I'M GONNA COMPLAIN!"
:( : "I'll give you our customer complain number. That would be great."
:argh: : "FUCKIN' CUSTOMER COMPLAINT NUMBER! BULLSHIT!"

At first, his friends were pumping their fists and saying "Yeah!" and "Right? Right?", but at this point they were getting freaked out and uncomfortable and one of them starts pulling on the guy's sleeve and saying "Dude, we gotta get outta here!" As soon as I get through to security, the guy immediately changes his mind.

:argh: : "YOU KNOW WHAT, NEVER MIND! I'M JUST GONNA GO! AIN'T EVER COMIN' TO THIS DUMP AGAIN!" *storms out*

He and I both knew exactly why I wasn't taking in his crap. I guess he was trying to get me to actually accuse him of stealing, which would land me in hot water. I still have trouble believing that there are people so self-centered that they'll cuss and rant like that in front of a group of kids. Everyone else in the store was speechless, but started making fun of the guy as soon as he was gone.

I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to confrontations, but I'd go through that a hundred more times before I give those scumbags a dime.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
wow. that seemed like that they were trying to force you to do what they wanted. the sidekicks was there to intimidate you.

tojarg
Mar 27, 2010

Oh hey. What's up.
The only time I ever do anything with the Walmart credit cards is if somebody asks.I have never once been told that I'm to ever try and get anybody to sign up for it, or even mention it to a customer. I work in electronics so I would assume it would be a big department to push for it if it was policy.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Abominable Toaster posted:

Does it start with a T and end in elstra?

A gentleman never Tels(tra).

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So had my first day in retail earlier in the week, nothing bad really except a couple of customers trying to use oyster cards as id (blank cards you put money on and use to pay for public transport in london) and some guy trying to use a spanish passport as id, at leased that's what he called it, it was just a laminated picture ID with some spanish writing on it :confused:

I'm not sure what to think about the 9th, COD's launching, i'm going in for the midnight launch and the manager told us last years Call of Duty launch went on for over 2 hours and had a que that stretched outside the mall :gonk:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Keket posted:

I'm not sure what to think about the 9th, COD's launching, i'm going in for the midnight launch and the manager told us last years Call of Duty launch went on for over 2 hours and had a que that stretched outside the mall :gonk:

The last midnight launch I worked was WoW: BC. Did Halo 2 and 3, the Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 before that too. They're usually really cool events, the folks that show up for it are the sort of folks who are super into the game so they're all there for the same reason and it's a cool community atmosphere. You should have fun, but make sure to set your alarm properly. I overslept the morning after the 360 launch and wound up rocking up for work the next day nearly an hour late. Wouldn't have been too bad except I was the only one rostered on for the first hour and it was launch day for the 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Found this post in the last thread:

quote:

You should have replied, "No, everything in the store is display only, none of it is actually for sale." I would have, and be damned the consequences.

I've done this. I swear, I have done this, in full sight of my favorite manager ever, and he just laughed.

I was working at an Eckerds right when it was bought by Rite Aid, and we were being remodeled. As soon as you came in the unlocked doors there was a sign in the middle of the floor. Dead center in front of you. Can't miss the drat thing. What does it say? "We're open during remodeling!" in huge loving letters.

I had no sympathy for that person. It's 2 PM on a Saturday and the doors opened and there's a sign proclaiming our status as "open". gently caress you.