Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
That article should have ended here:

quote:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Jeff Francoeur was asked Monday what he brings to this Rangers team.

"Well, a nice beard for one, I'll tell you that," Francoeur said. "So-so beard? All right."

The truth is: That's exactly what he brings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Mike Silva is currently sperging out about how Joba is a disgrace for...smiling?

http://twitter.com/!/NYBD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Let's take a trip down memory lane to when Rick Reilley didn't suck:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064748/1/index.htm

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So that's where the line about John Wooden being "so square, he was divisible by four" came from. One of my favorite backhanded compliments of all time.

And, while we're going down Memory Lane, let's not forget the piece on the HS FB referee who tried to kill himself.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/10/14/2010-10-14_sad_lil_home_on_the_range.html

the absolute worst "Kiss Da Ringzz" bullshit.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

So that's where the line about John Wooden being "so square, he was divisible by four" came from. One of my favorite backhanded compliments of all time.

And, while we're going down Memory Lane, let's not forget the piece on the HS FB referee who tried to kill himself.

That line doesn't make any sense. Infinitely many multiples (8, e.g.) of four are not squares. :colbert:

e: ^^^ Hollllly gently caress, they actually come out and say "the Yankees franchise is worth a lot more than the Rangers, ergo they will win the ALCS." I mean, that's basically the truth, but people aren't supposed to come out and say it. We're supposed to pretend that baseball is fair, I thought.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 14, 2010

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
My question is how has Filip Bondy held a job writing his bullshit for so long?

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Politicalrancor posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/10/14/2010-10-14_sad_lil_home_on_the_range.html

Haha oh my god, this is so great it might be a troll.

quote:

The Rangers have retired exactly one player's jersey (aside from Jackie Robinson's) and attempted to counter George M. Steinbrenner with George W. Bush in the owner's box.
Yes, the franchise "countered" Steinbrenner by being owned by another guy with the same first name. :psyduck:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

A drat FOG posted:

Haha oh my god, this is so great it might be a troll.

It is a troll it's Filip Bondy.

Here's his recent article history: http://bit.ly/9fyxi7

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Politicalrancor posted:

The best is if you take their poll, linked in that article:

code:
What will be the outcome of the American League Championship Series?
Yankees in four 	2% 	
Rangers in four 	1% 	
Yankees in five 	8% 	
Rangers in five 	2% 	
Yankees in six 	        15% 	
Rangers in six 	        51% 	
Yankees in seven 	2% 	
Rangers in seven 	20%

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
This was on Primer today, and holee shittt

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2010/10/14/a_swing_and_a_miss_in_ted_williams_tribute/

quote:

On Sept. 29, in his column “Splendid memories of a genuine giant,’’ Dan Shaughnessy also described many great moments. However, in a cruel aside, Shaughnesssy wrote that today my father is “sometimes a punch line because of his son’s kooky decision to have his remains frozen.’’ My dad personally supported Shaughnessy at a dark moment in his life. John-Henry trusted Shaughnessy and provided him with firsthand information to help him write privileged stories. Neither Dad nor my brother critically judged Shaughnessy’s personal decisions. They just gave support.

I wonder why a Boston writer, especially Shaughnessy, is the one without regard for my family. He continues to use his cloak of freedom of the press to criticize my family, and use cruel and hurtful words to describe our private and sacred family decision. My friends tell me that the line “meant nothing.’’ But it does mean something to me, and it should mean something to Shaughnessy and every family that values the sanctuary of privacy.

Show respect to my father and our family by respecting our right to make certain private decisions. Enough is enough. Please leave my family in peace.

As clearly as my father, I heard Shaughnessy’s boo.

Claudia Williams
Hernando, Fla.

Still not sure he's worse than Selena Roberts though.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's funny how that one issue has the only two of his stories I ever liked (this being the other).

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kim Jong Il posted:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2010/10/14/a_swing_and_a_miss_in_ted_williams_tribute/

He isn't. If Ted Williams is so much greater than A-Rod, then why is he dead, frozen, and having his head used as a ball by lab techs? :colbert:

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Kim Jong Il posted:

John Henry Williams and anyone who says any semi-nice thing about him ever can go gently caress right off. :colbert:

On the other hand, she's attacking Shaughnessy, so she can't be all bad.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

So never read Boston.com. Although I like Amalie Benjamin, I follow her on twitter.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Amalie's kinda dumb but I guess not even close to the worst in her profession.

I can't remember the specifics, but she made up this stat a few months ago that was heavily reliant on RBIs.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Bear in mind that the "dark time" that Claudia is referring to is when Dan Shaughnessy's young daughter had cancer, and Ted Williams went out of his way to visit with her and call her on the phone and basically do what he could to help. Seriously. Ted Williams, of all people, did that for Shaughnessy's kid despite his hatred of sportswriters. And yet reading that recent column of Dan's, he makes no mention whatsoever of it. Perhaps it's because he has some respect for the privacy of his own family? Difficult to say.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

kaworu posted:

Bear in mind that the "dark time" that Claudia is referring to is when Dan Shaughnessy's young daughter had cancer, and Ted Williams went out of his way to visit with her and call her on the phone and basically do what he could to help. Seriously. Ted Williams, of all people, did that for Shaughnessy's kid despite his hatred of sportswriters. And yet reading that recent column of Dan's, he makes no mention whatsoever of it. Perhaps it's because he has some respect for the privacy of his own family? Difficult to say.
I prefer to think of it as Dan Shaughnessy being a loving prick.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I guess this should be posted here. The Washington Post has just announced a content exchange partnership with...The Bleacher Report?

quote:

Bleacher Report launches content exchange partnership with The Washington Post

We are thrilled to announce our latest distribution partnership – a content exchange with The Washington Post. Our first links are up on the sports home page today and you can check them out at: http://www.washingtonpost.com /sports/.

For our writers, this means that the Washington Post, one of the leading news publications in the world, will be featuring your articles daily on their sports page and article pages. The Post will benefit from the unique and original sports writing you create in order to supplement their current content. We will also feature Post articles on BleacherReport.com and in our newsletters.

We are excited to offer this additional distribution to our writers and encourage all D.C. focused writers to keep up the great work and look out for your links on the Post.

This is also a great time for us to recognize all our writers and editors whose production of high quality, original and entertaining content make these partnerships possible. We’ll keep you updated as we continue to expand our distribution network and give you even more opportunities to reach a larger audience.

Jesus loving Christ

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

The Inquirer does that too, probably in both cases a desperate attempt to be 21st-century-relevant, without realizing how godawful it is.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

bishnu posted:

I guess this should be posted here. The Washington Post has just announced a content exchange partnership with...The Bleacher Report?

Jesus loving Christ

That is terrible. :psyduck:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

:stare:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

http://deadspin.com/5669694/

quote:

Changes to B/R Publishing Policies
Dear Writers,

People write for Bleacher Report to reach an audience, and as B/R's audience continues to grow, and we strive to keep our quality standards high, we are asking a significant percentage of writers to reapply to write for the site.

Your Bleacher Report profile, account and past articles are still intact, and you're still able to comment on stories and interact with fellow readers. But in order to continue writing, you'll need to send a writing sample, and a link to your B/R profile page to NewWriters@BleacherReport.com.

As the site grows, we need to make sure the writers contributing to the site are providing clean and well-edited copy, high-quality analysis, and adding something new to the sports conversation. To be fair to the many writers at Bleacher Report, our quality standards must remain high.

We know this is an inconvenience, and if you feel your writer privileges have been removed mistakenly, don't hesitate to reapply to write for the site — your work should speak for itself.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I'm sure their quality is just going to go through the roof now!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm still laughing about the fact that WaPo partnered with them.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Because I like this thread and it's dying, here's a present from the Philadelphia Daily News - a live chat with Phillies "writer" Marcus Hayes!

http://crashburnalley.com/2010/10/26/one-more-note-on-chase-utley/

quote:

[Comment From PhilliesPhan]
Even though it will not happen phillies should consider trading Utley as he is a liability in the field and in the next 2 years he will need a new position such as first base because in the long run he will not be a second baseman. This money could be used as money to sign Werth, and maybe even trade victorino and move Werth to center and Brown to RF.

[Hayes]
Yes. But Utley has a [limited] no-trade [clause].

[Comment From Greg]
What do you think about moving Utley to Left field after the ibanez deal is done? I’m worried about his Knoblauch yips.

[Hayes]
They tried him in the OF. He’s worse there. He’s a good first baseman, and that’s it.

[Comment From PhilliesPhan]
It is funny that over the years Rollins and Howard get crucified in this city but Big Baby Utley gets nothing……

[Hayes]
Yes. It is interesting. Except Utley is white. And he likes to curse in public. Imagine if Jimmy had done that?

[Comment From Guest]
the arrogance of jimmy and howard contribute to people being critical of them. they are the first to accept praise. chase does not look for attention so he does not get a lot of bad attention

[Hayes]
Chase hides from criticism. He hides from everything. Some leader.

[Comment From Guest]
I love when journalists make claims with no proof. Offer any evidence?

[Hayes]
Are you blind, pal? You have two MVPs in town who get nothing but ripped. Rollins is worth more to this team hitting .250 than Utley hitting .300 with 30 dongs, simply because he can catch. And what have Howard or Rollins done that was remotely as vulgar and offensive as what Utley did after the parade? Evidence? World Bleeping Champions? Come on.

[Comment From Mike in SJ]
Thanks for your time Marcus…What do the future prospects look like in the farm system? Do the Phillies have the developmental personnel to establish a new core in the next 5 years? I’m thinking back to the WS win in ’08 and the core was homegrown.

Marcus: The farm system is shoddy, pillaged the past 2 years to win now.

[Comment From Kyle]
That’s completely inaccurate concerning the farm system. The Phils have a top 10-15 farm even with the trades. The issue is that all of their talent in A ball

Marcus: Talent in A-ball is worthless. Talent in Double-A and Triple-A means something.

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 27, 2010

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

He started off so well and then what the hell happened? Like was he just being sarcastic for the first three answers? Because those seem pretty correct and then he dives into "Rollins is a more valuable player than Utley" and "minor league numbers don't mean poo poo"

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

He started off so well and then what the hell happened? Like was he just being sarcastic for the first three answers? Because those seem pretty correct and then he dives into "Rollins is a more valuable player than Utley" and "minor league numbers don't mean poo poo"

The copy and paste is a little misleading. The answer immediately under [Hayes] is what Marcus Hayes said, and then the next line between that and the next comment is a comment by the writer from Crashburn Alley casting aspersions upon Marcus Hayes' relentless idiocy.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah, sorry I forgot to delete the commentary, fixed.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Rollins is worth more to this team hitting .250 than Utley hitting .300 with 30 dongs, simply because he can catch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

seiferguy posted:

That entire quote is :stare:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Crosspost: He's a fantastic reporter, but holy poo poo does Wojnarowski need to stop writing columns.

quote:

Here was a “cancer patient,” as apparently K.G. likes to call them. Lucas died this week. He was 58 and lost his life to bladder cancer. Apparently, Garnett honored that memory with the mocking of the Detroit Pistons’ bald forward, Charlie Villanueva(notes), on Tuesday night. Garnett’s always gone too far, but never like this. Never this cruel, this twisted.

Nevertheless, it’s stained his legacy. This one promises to chase him into retirement. Beyond that of an MVP and an NBA champion, Garnett has gone to inexplicable lengths to craft a parallel legacy: a vicious bully, a cold and cruel jerk.

For all the instances of Garnett’s bullying available on YouTube, those two words – “cancer patient” – will never go away. This is the one that people will remember, the stain that’ll be hardest to wash away. Garnett’s 34 years old, and shamefully a man too smart – too principled in a lot of ways – to act like this. Only, he’s done it for years, and it’s now a bigger part of his legacy than an old Boston Celtics champion will want to believe.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean back and :stare:

Colin Cowherd posted:

"Much like I called out Greg Oden, I'm gonna call out John Wall....Before the game started, he spent 34 seconds doing the Dougie. That tells me all I need to know about J-Wow. Then he opened his mouth later and confirmed it: not a sharp guy. All about him. In that line last night, that 29-point line, when he was out of control, he had 8 turnovers. By the way, Rajon Rondo had 17 assists last night, 0 turnovers. Rajon's got rings, Wall will never have one.

"Folks, when you rob a bank, it's not just the act of it, it's that you sat down for weeks and planned it. That tells me you're an idiot. The act is just the final icing on the cake. The cake is you sat down for weeks and planned it. I always give people credit just for getting a job. If you interview with 300 people and get the job, you beat 300 people out for a job, you've got to have some skill-set.

"Oh, I'm gonna get a lot of callers -- Colin, he's just having fun. What he did last night, Rondo never would, Isiah never would, J. Kidd never would, Stockton never would, Nash never would, Magic never would. Point guard is like the quarterback. it's an IQ-judgment position. The great ones are not about themselves. They're about the others. Leadership is IQ, it's not skills.

"J Wow's 37-second Yo dawg look at me I'm the man [dance], and his wild, out-of-control style, everybody else is buying his stock, and it told me all I need to know. He's gonna end up on the Iverson, Francis, Starbury [side]: great stats, nine All-Star teams, never play with good smart players and an elite head coach. He's gonna drive people nuts.

"It's not robbing the bank, it's that you planned it. It's not just doing the Doggie (sic) for 35 seconds, it's that you really thought before the game, this is gonna be super cool and people will like me. The wrong people. You all, go read the John Wall box score. Everybody's fascinated. ESPN SportsCenter will probably do like 9 minutes on it. I'll take the Rondo box score: 3 boards, 9 points, 17 assists, 4 steals, no turnovers....

"You could see it before the game started. Magic would never consider doing that. It's just who he is. And you think he's gonna change now that they gave him $75 million? Oh yeah, I'm sure he's gonna life change now. It's not robbing the bank, partner; it's that you planned it. It's not just the act, it's that you thought about it and thought it was a great idea....

"My daughter's 10. Ten years old. She knows the difference between right and wrong. My daughter knows what Randy Moss did is wrong. She's 10. The haves get it early, the have-nots never do. Look at me, I'm great, I'm unbelievable.

"You go look, we have a Hall of Fame point guard right now, his name is Rondo. Go look at his numbers....The best distributor in the league, and all we'll pay attention to is John Wall. Rondo is your superstar point guard, but we will spend hours on John Wall. I'd take Rondo in a heartbeat....When I see Wall dropping 29, you know what Wall's thinking tonight? Man, that dance was good, I might get 39 tonight. Great. Nine (sic) turnovers and 29 points. Welcome to the back of the class, get behind the Celtics, the Lakers and the Heat.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

Every time I hear sports talk radio, it's just dudes reiterating the same retarded points over and over again to fill air time. Who listens to this poo poo?

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Yeah I'm fairly sure no sports radio hosts actually believe what they're saying. It would be really hard to fill a radio show with well thought-out arguments for an hour a day every weekday of the year. You kind of have to delve into the "This dude doesn't have it" mindset.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Sports Media: TO is a cancer, Randy Moss is a CANCER.

KG: Charlie, you are a cancer to our league.

Sports Media: WHAT!?! THE HUMANITY!!!

Someone please punch one of these fuckers in the face.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Parlett316 posted:

Sports Media: TO is a cancer, Randy Moss is a CANCER.

KG: Charlie, you are a cancer to our league.

Sports Media: WHAT!?! THE HUMANITY!!!

Someone please punch one of these fuckers in the face.

If KG actually said "You are a cancer to your team and the league" no one would be mad at him, but no one believes that he actually said that. The issue is the fact that its far more likely that he called Villanueva a "cancer patient" and that's what people are responding to negatively.

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Yeah I'm fairly sure no sports radio hosts actually believe what they're saying. It would be really hard to fill a radio show with well thought-out arguments for an hour a day every weekday of the year. You kind of have to delve into the "This dude doesn't have it" mindset.

I can guarantee you (I work at ESPN in Bristol) from overhearing him in the newsroom and from my conversations with him that Colin Cowherd doesn't believe half the stuff he says. (or at least he'll have a mild reaction to something and then amp it up several levels for the air)

He says stuff to get ratings and to get a reaction. I haven't heard him talking about the reaction to the John Wall stuff yet, but there have been times when he's said something inflammatory and got national attention for it and he just laughs about it in the newsroom.

Getting people to talk about him was exactly what he was going for, he doesn't really have THAT strong of an emotional reaction to stuff that happens in sports. (and I'm sure the same applies to lots of radio hosts and columnists)

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

That's even worse.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
HAHAHAHAHA, did he just pull on the RINGS line on a rookie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Crazy Ted posted:

This put Colin Cowherd's voice in my head, drat it.