Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Waiting for this to launch so I can buy one for my parents and just set it up with a 1TB external drive. I use boxee on my mac and its a really slick interface so cant wait to see what the retail version brings. As think fear says I wish it supported local metadata.

Also in the UK the launch price is rumored to be £199, and if so is way above the us price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Been playing around with XBMC and Boxee software on an old laptop as I don't currently have a HTPC, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on the Boxee box. I would really love to buy one of these for $200 over decent nettop for $400. I think my main concern at this point if performance. Netflix streaming is a big deal for me and the lack of it pretty much kills XBMC. Yes, I am aware of PlayOn but it is a dirty hack and lacks basic functionality.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Fatal posted:

Yeah, I'm banking on it being buttery smooth since it's taken this long to get out the door.

This is totally what's gonna happen.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Fatal posted:

Yeah, I'm banking on it being buttery smooth since it's taken this long to get out the door. As much as I'd like to get another HTPC, I really don't use mine for anything else but a media center (extender? File server is elsewhere and I don't have cable to DVR) and this seems to fit the bill quite nicely since my current setup doesn't do 1080P very well and is quite large.

every other delayed media tank has done the opposite of buttery smooth. Im gonna wait for it to be out a week. Ive waited this long whats a week more to find out if it sucks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Welp, shipping November 10th for preorders. Available 17th in big box stores.

Beloved Cunt
Jan 14, 2004

Just pre-ordered here in the UK, £199 though, ouch!

Aardappel
Jun 9, 2003

I keep a swastika flag hanging out my backside,
But only on the left side, yeah that's the Third Reich side
The lack of 'hype' surrounding the Boxee Box worries me a bit.. A few more weeks of waiting..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone seen any articles or anything comparing the boxee box to that googletv one from logitech?

I'm getting slight second thoughts and might cancel my preorder to wait and read some reviews on the box.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

priznat posted:

Has anyone seen any articles or anything comparing the boxee box to that googletv one from logitech?

I'm getting slight second thoughts and might cancel my preorder to wait and read some reviews on the box.

Seeing as one just got released last week and the other isn't out yet there's still a bunch of speculation, however the primary feature that boxee has over gtv is local content. Google has mentioned nothing about this, and as far as I've seen it has no plans on supporting local content. Whither that is a feature for you or not is something I don't know, but if you have a media/file server, gtv will do nothing with it as of right now. Future application development may allow for local content to be played, but it's certainly not there right now nor has it been planned for since the beginning like boxee.

Here's a feature comparison chart:
http://newteevee.com/2010/10/04/goo...%28NewTeeVee%29

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for that! Local content is the primary concern for me, so I think I'll keep the boxee preorder then.

I like how the boxee app will index my NAS video folder and figure out tv episodes etc, that's a big plus.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

priznat posted:

Thanks for that! Local content is the primary concern for me, so I think I'll keep the boxee preorder then.

I like how the boxee app will index my NAS video folder and figure out tv episodes etc, that's a big plus.

Average consumer does not have a NAS or any sort of local media library past what they've downloaded through iTunes, that is the group google is targeting (which is vast). Boxee is attempting to target the same group but is adding in the user that has a NAS (usually a relatively tech savvy person). I personally think it's a better strategy because it draws the geeky ones in to be the first wave and they in turn can show it off to the relatives who have no clue which one to purchase. Google is marketing it towards those who have a big boner for google and those who don't know what they're buying but want WebTV 2.0 so they can watch youtube on their 50" (something most tech savvy people have already figured out)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That's totally true. I think the Logitech version of the GoogleTv might be a tough sell to the average consumer. Once TVs show up with it built in it might gain some better traction.

I wouldn't be surprised if a big handicap is big box electronic stores putting it in the computer section with the rest of the Logitech stuff, so people who might be interested in attaching something like that to their TV who aren't computer nerds would just miss it altogether. Perhaps if they have a decent Harmony remote section in the store they can put it around there.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm gonna laugh my rear end off when this thing finally comes out and all the network sites plus Hulu block it too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

priznat posted:

That's totally true. I think the Logitech version of the GoogleTv might be a tough sell to the average consumer. Once TVs show up with it built in it might gain some better traction.

I wouldn't be surprised if a big handicap is big box electronic stores putting it in the computer section with the rest of the Logitech stuff, so people who might be interested in attaching something like that to their TV who aren't computer nerds would just miss it altogether. Perhaps if they have a decent Harmony remote section in the store they can put it around there.

Bestbuy here has them all setup with the home theater stuff. Far away from the computer aisle.

Also the googletv boxes do play local content, however from reading avsforum there are some major issues with codec support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheScott2K posted:

I'm gonna laugh my rear end off when this thing finally comes out and all the network sites plus Hulu block it too.

It seems pretty likely at this point.

I'm about ready to write off the whole "media streamer as appliance" setup for now because the only consistent way you are going to access online TV streaming will be through a PC running a regular OS. Everything else is going to be a cat and mouse game of blocking access until some sort of licensing agreement is in place.

Fortunately, nettops are powerful enough now to stream full screen flash and they are rather inexpensive while being nearly the same size as these appliance boxes. The only thing they lack is the UI polish.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Fortunately, nettops are powerful enough now to stream full screen flash and they are rather inexpensive while being nearly the same size as these appliance boxes. The only thing they lack is the UI polish.

As is pretty much always the case with tech, the price of quality is knowledge and motivation. UIs have made gigantic strides in the last two years, and they're only going to get better. Meanwhile the system requirements for (non-3D) 1080p video are going to stay basically static for the time being. In five years most normal people are still just going to be using the DVR their cable company gave them and they'll probably be fine with it. Maybe they'll enjoy whatever multimedia crumbs their PS3 or XBox gets added to it, or maybe whatever their BluRay player ends up supporting, that's about it.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

bull3964 posted:

I'm about ready to write off the whole "media streamer as appliance" setup for now because the only consistent way you are going to access online TV streaming will be through a PC running a regular OS. Everything else is going to be a cat and mouse game of blocking access until some sort of licensing agreement is in place.

Personally, I don't give much of a poo poo because I get my media from other places, but surely there has to be a way around this? Does anyone know how they are blocking it? Couldn't I do something to trick the streaming sites into thinking that the Boxee is a regular computer?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Couldn't I do something to trick the streaming sites into thinking that the Boxee is a regular computer?

This is how Google TV will get around it, since it's using android you can change how your browser reports to websites.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Photex posted:

This is how Google TV will get around it, since it's using android you can change how your browser reports to websites.

:ughh: They've already figured out how to beat changing your UserAgent, they figured it out within hours of the tip disseminating. The Flash plugin is still happy to inform whatever server it's interfacing with what OS it's running on, and if people figure out a way to change that they'll figure out something else. The '90s are over, media companies aren't retarded anymore. No box you can get at Best Buy is going to access their content if they don't want it to.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TheScott2K posted:

:ughh: They've already figured out how to beat changing your UserAgent, they figured it out within hours of the tip disseminating. The Flash plugin is still happy to inform whatever server it's interfacing with what OS it's running on, and if people figure out a way to change that they'll figure out something else. The '90s are over, media companies aren't retarded anymore. No box you can get at Best Buy is going to access their content if they don't want it to.

How possible would it be for Boxee to set up their software so that when the flash plugin queries the OS, it tells it that it's some version of Windows or OSX or Linux? I mean, it's not like there's an unlimited amount of different info streams your computer is broadcasting to Hulu that identify what OS you're running. How many could there be? Once you spoof all 3 or 5 or 10 of them, what else can they do? Your IP isn't going to look any different. The way it interacts with Hulu's servers is that same... that is, would deep packet sniffing even help identify what device is sending the requests?

The only reason Hulu and other sites can tell you're using Boxee or GTV or whatever is because your software is straight-forwardly labeling itself as whatever it is and directly telling those websites, and I don't think it's a legal requirement for them to do so or anything. Maybe I just don't have enough imagination, but I don't think the situation is as dire as you make it out. They're all just PCs when it comes down to it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The only streaming service I care about is Netflix, in Canada all the good stuff (hulu, cartoon network) are blocked anyway and routing around that is too much :effort:

Netflix is pretty cool about getting their client in whatever so hopefully it'll be in the boxee box for certain. (has it been confirmed/denied? I just heard "maybe")

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

XboxPants posted:

How possible would it be for Boxee to set up their software so that when the flash plugin queries the OS, it tells it that it's some version of Windows or OSX or Linux? I mean, it's not like there's an unlimited amount of different info streams your computer is broadcasting to Hulu that identify what OS you're running. How many could there be? Once you spoof all 3 or 5 or 10 of them, what else can they do? Your IP isn't going to look any different. The way it interacts with Hulu's servers is that same... that is, would deep packet sniffing even help identify what device is sending the requests?

The only reason Hulu and other sites can tell you're using Boxee or GTV or whatever is because your software is straight-forwardly labeling itself as whatever it is and directly telling those websites, and I don't think it's a legal requirement for them to do so or anything. Maybe I just don't have enough imagination, but I don't think the situation is as dire as you make it out. They're all just PCs when it comes down to it.

I suppose you could take a crack at a full-on unbeatable spoof as long as your company's owners, your hardware OEM's management/shareholders, and your resellers were okay with potentially destroying all future business opportunities involving every media conglomerate, Microsoft, and/or Apple. And if you have a DMCA lawyer who has naked photos of a Federal Circuit Court judge, a Federal Appellate Court judge, and five of the nine US Supreme Court justices. And, you know, it really is unbeatable.

You can do whatever with free software you give to people for their computers, but when you're spending other people's money on a mass-market product the fun hacker shortcuts are a lot harder to get away with.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TheScott2K posted:

You can do whatever with free software you give to people for their computers, but when you're spending other people's money on a mass-market product the fun hacker shortcuts are a lot harder to get away with.

Ah, good point, I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. I thought you seemed confident enough that there was something I wasn't thinking of. Now I understand what you were saying with the "you'll never be able to buy a box in a store that does this" sentiment (or whoever said that).

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

priznat posted:

Netflix is pretty cool about getting their client in whatever so hopefully it'll be in the boxee box for certain. (has it been confirmed/denied? I just heard "maybe")

No official announcement has been made with Netflix on the Boxee Box but since Netflix can run on Linux (Roku & Boxee Box use it), I would guess they would announce Netflix for the Boxee Box at the launch party on the 10th if not sooner.

They have announced that Vudu (Walmart's video service) will be on the Boxee Box so it will be possible to have movies on Boxee on its release at least in the US

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 29, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, I was just talking to someone about the Boxee Box earlier today, and after saying the name out loud for the first time..... Boxee Box is a really dumb name. Sounds like something a 5 year old would call a DVD player when they didn't know the actual name for it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, I was just talking to someone about the Boxee Box earlier today, and after saying the name out loud for the first time..... Boxee Box is a really dumb name. Sounds like something a 5 year old would call a DVD player when they didn't know the actual name for it.

I think that if it starts to take off it'll just be called "Boxee."

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I think that if it starts to take off it'll just be called "Boxee."

Lets also not forget the Nintendo Wii. When the name first was announced everyone laughed their rear end off about it and thought it was hilariously stupid, it may still be a stupid name but it has been accepted.

Boxee has repeatedly tried to emphasize the easiness of using Boxee. Looking at the general consumers' viewpoint, if you wanted a simple media playing device with little complexities, an easy name makes it sound a lot less intimidating. D-Link B 150RMD V1.0 or Boxee Box?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

XboxPants posted:

Ah, good point, I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. I thought you seemed confident enough that there was something I wasn't thinking of. Now I understand what you were saying with the "you'll never be able to buy a box in a store that does this" sentiment (or whoever said that).

Here's just another example of the same thing.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/29/roku-disallows-playon-cites-possibility-of-legal-exposure/

Basically, Roku is spooked the networks will come after them if they allow the PlayOn channel even though their box wouldn't be accessing the content directly.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I don't entirely get Roku's concerns, in light of the other devices that PlayOn works on. Is it simply a matter of the other devices supporting DLNA and Roku making you use an actual channel? That strikes me as a weird distinction.

I originally thought that Hulu spiked it because Roku is going to try to make them happy in the run up to Hulu Plus, but Hulu Plus and PlayOn co-exist elsewhere, so what's the issue?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The issue is simply that Roku has a smaller legal dept than any of the other places were it co-exists and don't want the potential expense of defending a lawsuit.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Oof, after running the Boxee software as a potential XBMC replacement, there's no way I'm buying a Box. My album art doesn't work (which is a known issue, marked as a bug for like a full year now), the views for music and movies both are kind of poo poo, everything is incredibly glitchy (random loading bars, starts/stops playing for no reason), and the episode/show/film identification for TV and movies is terrible.

Seriously, the only thing XBMC is missing are some of the apps Boxee has, and considering they're all just loving ugly web views of pages - and since there's no way to interface with the "browser," in these streams, you're locked into, for example, Hulu's lowest quality.

And, holy poo poo, the Box comes out within a week. Please, god, do not buy this product.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The software available to download now from the Boxee site is months old. They have been working solely on the Boxee box and fixing the version of the software for that.

There's a high chance that all the bugs have been fixed and new features added, don't judge it by what is there now other than to get a feel for how it works.

They have said that once the Box is out, they will work on getting the downloadable version up to the same level as the Box version.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DaWolfey posted:

The software available to download now from the Boxee site is months old. They have been working solely on the Boxee box and fixing the version of the software for that.

There's a high chance that all the bugs have been fixed and new features added, don't judge it by what is there now other than to get a feel for how it works.

They have said that once the Box is out, they will work on getting the downloadable version up to the same level as the Box version.

The box comes with 1.0 software. 1.0 for win/mac/linux will be out 1q 2011

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I placed my order with Amazon to get the discount, but will keep it boxed (ugh) up until I see the reviews. I love the software on my old laptop, and have never had any issues with cover art for music or movies, so I'm hopeful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I cancelled my preorder from bestbuy.ca just to wait on reviews etc.

In the end I may go with a HTPC of some kind instead, more costly but I could use the server elements of it too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

canyonero posted:

I placed my order with Amazon to get the discount, but will keep it boxed (ugh) up until I see the reviews. I love the software on my old laptop, and have never had any issues with cover art for music or movies, so I'm hopeful.

With Amazon you should be able to open it and use it and still be able to return it. Yes?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

TraderStav posted:

With Amazon you should be able to open it and use it and still be able to return it. Yes?

I guess it depends on whether or not Amazon considers the Boxee a computer. Computer returns at Amazon incur a 15% restocking fee for opened items. If they count it as an Electronics item, then it would be 100%.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

canyonero posted:

I guess it depends on whether or not Amazon considers the Boxee a computer. Computer returns at Amazon incur a 15% restocking fee for opened items. If they count it as an Electronics item, then it would be 100%.

Amazon usually does right by the customer. If they don't, I'd like to see how they defend a set top box being a computer.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Someone please tell me why I should want this. I've run the PC version and am less than impressed. I don't have any locally stored content to play (I can put the disc in the DVD player, thank you very much, if I want to watch one of my movies), and could not care less about the social aspect, having no friends. That leaves about three video podcasts that I enjoy watching every once in a while, which I can to on my PC. Am I simply not the target demographic for this thing, or am I missing something obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Eccles posted:

Someone please tell me why I should want this. I've run the PC version and am less than impressed. I don't have any locally stored content to play (I can put the disc in the DVD player, thank you very much, if I want to watch one of my movies), and could not care less about the social aspect, having no friends. That leaves about three video podcasts that I enjoy watching every once in a while, which I can to on my PC. Am I simply not the target demographic for this thing, or am I missing something obvious?

Correct. Being what you appear to consider "too good" for locally-stored copies of movies, having no friends, and disliking the interface itself pretty much disqualifies you from any interest in this machine. I'm honestly wondering what you're even doing in here.

• Locked thread