Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

soggybagel posted:

I wish Criterion would put all their DVD covers up on the store and sell them as posters.

They have an image on their Facebook page of several of the covers as full-size posters, and the comments are full of people going absolutely apeshit. I'd kill for a full-size poster of Scenes From A Marriage, and there are a few that I'd maim for. There are a handful of posters on the Criterion site but none of the really great ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There are a handful of posters on the Criterion site but none of the really great ones.

I wonder why they don't do more posters?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I would be all over a Le Samourai poster, especially since the original theatrical poster sucks.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
I just watched Faces for the first time. God, what a wholly depressing film about terribly unhappy people. And goddamn was it good.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
On my quest to nab a copy of House today, a guy at one of the stores told me that the release date on all Criterion releases were delayed. He said the reason for this was because of disc issues with the Seventh Seal. This didn't really make any sense to me, considering I can't find any information about this on the internet, and that the Thin Red Line and the Darjeeling Limited were released on the date they were supposed to.

But, I can't find a copy of this Blu-Ray anywhere in the Toronto area. I knew I should have pre-ordered it, but maybe I'll just wait until the B&N sale after all.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.

Twin Cinema posted:

On my quest to nab a copy of House today, a guy at one of the stores told me that the release date on all Criterion releases were delayed. He said the reason for this was because of disc issues with the Seventh Seal. This didn't really make any sense to me, considering I can't find any information about this on the internet, and that the Thin Red Line and the Darjeeling Limited were released on the date they were supposed to.

But, I can't find a copy of this Blu-Ray anywhere in the Toronto area. I knew I should have pre-ordered it, but maybe I'll just wait until the B&N sale after all.

Store clerks say all kinds of crazy poo poo.

In the early 2000's the guy working at the last video store in town to carry new Laser Discs would be constantly talking about "all the new titles coming to laser." I was only ever able to verify about 1/8th of what he was claiming and most of those titles were canceled due to lack of interest.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Twin Cinema posted:

Totally false. The Seventh Seal was released back in like June, and there have been zero issues reported with it. Every single Criterion title since has come out on time, and there are no signs of this changing.

House is out there, it's just always a struggle to find Criterion titles in brick & mortar stores. I actually have a copy on hold for me at B&N - I'm gonna pick it up on November 2nd after the 1/2-off sale has started.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Well, I gave his opinion a little more credence because it is an independent store. There was even an HMV that claimed it had the title in stock on its website, but apparentl, it was an error. I hate pre-ordering things, mostly because of the wait involved, but I didn't think it'd be such a hassle to find a copy of this. I just wanted to be watching House already. :(

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
It's definitely gotta be out there somewhere, see my post above! Though maybe the fact that I got it early and your shortage are related somehow. I've got preorders maybe a day early but never in that time frame. :tinfoil:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Alzabo posted:

Store clerks say all kinds of crazy poo poo.

In the early 2000's the guy working at the last video store in town to carry new Laser Discs would be constantly talking about "all the new titles coming to laser." I was only ever able to verify about 1/8th of what he was claiming and most of those titles were canceled due to lack of interest.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Laserdisc for aesthetic and artistic reasons, but strictly from a practical viewpoint, they just weren't realistic.

The artwork looked great for the same reason that LPs look great, they're real big and it forces you to take notice of good cover art. The quality was great too and were clearly superior to early DVDs. Also, you could very easily and smoothly fast forward even through the FBI warnings. It's almost like you'd imagine an analog image on a VCR as apposed to the slower and more fragmented fast forward on a DVD. It will immediately resume when you let go of the fast forward as well.

The major problem with them was the amount of data one side could hold was woefully insufficient for a longer movie (or even a regular sized one). As I understand it, one side could only hold about 60 minutes at most, so you'd need to flip the disc at least once during a movie. No different than an LP, but obviously it's not the same thing. I think it holds so little information per side because it's technically an analog video signal, not digital, which I guess is also part of the reason it looks a bit better than some DVDs. I've seen it in person once or twice and I thought it was immediately noticeable that the Laserdisc image was a lot clearer.

Later they learned to compress information better on DVDs making laserdisc even more irrelevant. I still find myself being impressed by them though whenever I get the chance to see them. I don't know why, but I just find it really compelling.

EDIT: Also, I watched House tonight with some friends. Not bad. Very strange of course. Enjoyable rear end biting and piano chomping.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I've got a handful of laserdiscs, and they're kind of fun to use now and then, but they definitely don't stand up to DVD (it's still an analog signal, but it doesn't wear down like tape does, so at best it looks like a brand-new VHS). The disc-flipping is kind of impractical, too, particularly when it comes at a weird time. However, they do have incredibly excellent sound, sometimes almost matching a really good Blu-Ray.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
In addition to the already stated reasons why laser-discs are great fun, "modern" players eliminate the need for disc-flipping by having lasers on both sides of the carriage, so you can enjoy your giant gaudy playback with only minimal inconvenience!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Stop making me want to spend hundreds of dollars on a long dead format just to be a complete nerd, thread.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My dad had an RCA videodisc player when I was a kid. The movies looked like giant LP-sized floppy discs. I don't know anything about the format at all or why it even existed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The floppy disc ones were a really early version, and I they even had grooves, like an LP, requiring an needle (and thus wear and tear). I found one once, Flash Gordon, at a thrift store. Some kid had Crayola'd it half to death so I didn't buy it, though it would have been neat to have had around.

Sheldrake posted:

Stop making me want to spend hundreds of dollars on a long dead format just to be a complete nerd, thread.

If you're lucky to find a working player for super-cheap (or, like me, free) then it's totally worth having around. A lot of the Criterion discs have extras and commentary tracks that you can't find elsewhere (though you can probably get audio rips off the internet). The visual quality is definitely lower than DVD, but it makes up by being entertaining on a rainy day, and also by being huge. It's just fun to pull one of them off the shelf and plonk it into the player, and fiddle with the mammoth Eighties-style remote control, and admire the square twelve inches of artwork.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The floppy disc ones were a really early version, and I they even had grooves, like an LP, requiring an needle (and thus wear and tear). I found one once, Flash Gordon, at a thrift store. Some kid had Crayola'd it half to death so I didn't buy it, though it would have been neat to have had around.

Yeah, we probably have 40 or 50 of the discs around somewhere (the first time I saw American Werewolf in London was on videodisc) but no player to play them on.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
I didn't intend to start a LD discussion. The picture isn't as bad as most people say, using a old lovely LD player from the 80's is gonna result in a worse picture than a more modern LD player.

While I can't afford a HLD-X9, my 11 year old DVL-919 looks quite a bit better than my early 90's CLD-whatever, my 1991-ish Panasonic LD player or my mid-nineties gas-laser Pioneer LD player intended for classrooms.

Also, don't hook up your LD player w/ the S-video connection, while it separates the Chroma and Luminance it bypasses the comb filter on most TVs, which exacerbates the “grainy” look that most people associate with LD. Use the 75ohm RCA jack and you’ll be much happier.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

got dat wmd posted:

It's definitely gotta be out there somewhere, see my post above! Though maybe the fact that I got it early and your shortage are related somehow. I've got preorders maybe a day early but never in that time frame. :tinfoil:

I think you're onto something. I just find it weird that nowhere seems to have it. So, I ordered it on Barnes & Noble, because it was already 40% off. I know that the 50% off sale is coming soon, but I can't wait. I need to see it ASAP.

edit: Even with shipping, and the exchange rate, it still ended up being five to ten dollars cheaper then I would find it around here.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 29, 2010

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Just saw The Night of the Hunter at the AFI Silver Screen. Even though it was my third or fourth time seeing the movie, it still left me speechless. Harry Powell is in my opinion one of, if not the, greatest movie villain. Robert Mitchum's performance is simply sublime. I can't wait to get my hands on the dvd. Everyone should see this film.

"I see you lookin' at my fingers, boy..."

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Bn.com sale is live now, 50% off all Criterion DVDs.

Get ready to spend!

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.
I spent almost $500 on the last B&N sale. I think I'll take it easier this time:

House, Seven Samurai, Breathless, The Thin Red Line, The Darjeeling Limited, Crumb, Paths of Glory, Modern Times, Antichrist.

Anybody know when this thing ends?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I just ordered:

Charade, Paths of Glory, House, Crumb and Seven Samurai

and it came to just $125.

That America: BBS Story boxset is still showing as 106.99 on their site :(

Edit:

zandert33 posted:

Sale is not valid for preorders.

I thought that , Night of the Hunter is listed as being 24.99 right now when earlier today it was 42.99. Threw me off!
I'll make a second order once those are released.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 1, 2010

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Safe Driver posted:

I just ordered:

Charade, Paths of Glory, House, Crumb and Seven Samurai

and it came to just $125.

That America: BBS Story boxset is still showing as 106.99 on their site :(

Sale is not valid for preorders.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking about loading up on P&P: Black Narcissus, Red Shoes, Canterbury Tale, IKWIG. But none of those films got more than an 8/10 from me on the first viewing, I don't want to go overboard like I did during the last sale.

Also considering Brief Encounter, which would be a mere $10 for the EAH version.

Hmm, what else? Nothing's jumping out at me. I've got all the ones I consider must-haves. Maybe the Lubitsch and Late Ozu Eclipse sets. Gah, decisions decisions....

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

So is there any chance of Douglas Sirk Blu-Rays in the foreseeable future, or should I grab the DVDs while they're on sale?

penismightier fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 1, 2010

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking about loading up on P&P: Black Narcissus, Red Shoes, Canterbury Tale, IKWIG. But none of those films got more than an 8/10 from me on the first viewing, I don't want to go overboard like I did during the last sale.

Also considering Brief Encounter, which would be a mere $10 for the EAH version.

Hmm, what else? Nothing's jumping out at me. I've got all the ones I consider must-haves. Maybe the Lubitsch and Late Ozu Eclipse sets. Gah, decisions decisions....

just out of curiosity and because im having a hard time narrowing down my own decisions on this sale.... which do you consider to be must-haves? and im open to any genre from any era..

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think everyone should own Scenes From A Marriage.

edit: and everyone should have Scenes From A Marriage avatars and the theme music should play on every page but that's probably why I'm not an admin

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 1, 2010

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

edit: and everyone should have Scenes From A Marriage avatars and the theme music should play on every page but that's probably why I'm not an admin

haha i think you've sold me. well played.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I feel this way about The Passion of Joan of Arc.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

friendo55 posted:

just out of curiosity and because im having a hard time narrowing down my own decisions on this sale.... which do you consider to be must-haves? and im open to any genre from any era..

Well, my must-haves are obviously the ones I own. Which are:

every Ingmar Bergman
Nikkatsu Noir
Aki Kaurismaki's Proletariat Trilogy
Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women
The 39 Steps
8 1/2
The Adventures of Antoine Doinel
All That Heaven Allows
An Angel at My Table
Au Hasard Balthazar
The Bad Sleep Well
Band of Outsiders
Blast of Silence
Bottle Rocket
Brazil
The Browning Version
The Burmese Harp
By Brakhage Vol 1 & 2
Charade
Close-Up
The Cranes Are Flying
The Darjeeling Limited
Days of Heaven
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Do the Right Thing (don't have the Criterion)
Dodes'ka-den
The Double Life of Veronique (don't have the Criterion)
Le Doulos
Elevator to the Gallows
The Exterminating Angel
F for Fake
Three Films by Hiroshi Teshigahara
Faces
Fires on the Plain
For All Mankind
The Furies
The Hidden Fortress
High and Low
House
I Fidanzati
Ikiru
Jules and Jim
Juliet of the Spirits
The Lady Vanishes
Last Year at Marienbad
Life of Brian (don't have the Criterion)
Make Way for Tomorrow
Miss Julie
Mon Oncle
Mouchette
M. Hulot's Holiday
My Dinner With Andre
Naked
Night and the City
The Night of the Hunter
Nights of Cabiria
El Norte
Notorious (don't have the Criterion)
Paths of Glory
Pickpocket
Play Time
Il Posto
Pygmalion
Ran (don't have the Criterion)
Rashomon
Red Beard
Repulsion
The Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Sanjuro
Sansho the Bailiff
Seven Samurai
Shoot the Piano Player
Simon of the Desert
Spirit of the Beehive
That Obscure Object of Desire
The Thin Red Line
The Third Man
Twenty-Four Eyes
Ugetsu
Vampyr
Viridiana
A Woman Under the Influence
Yojimbo

So there ya go. Just buy all those.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

So there ya go. Just buy all those.

thank you for that!
hopefully my idiotically general question was on others' minds as well.

mainly i just wanted to get some discussion going..
my most recent criterion watch was Eyes Without A Face which I thoroughly enjoyed... i'd also agree and strongly recommend F For Fake and Vampyr

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I'm just picking up The Thin Red Line this time. Everything else that's been coming out lately I've either picked up already (Seven Samurai), or don't want to blind buy (Hausu).

No need to go overboard, the blu-rays are still 20 bucks each, which isn't THAT cheap.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I keep hoping there will be another cool coupon to abuse like there has been the last few times.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Safe Driver posted:

I thought that , Night of the Hunter is listed as being 24.99 right now when earlier today it was 42.99. Threw me off!
I'll make a second order once those are released.

I think that if they will be released before the end of the sale, then you can preorder at the sale price.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RichterIX posted:

I keep hoping there will be another cool coupon to abuse like there has been the last few times.

Enjoy your $13 Blu-Rays.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Enjoy your $13 Blu-Rays.

Well Barnes and Noble actually have the Blus on sale for "$19.99" this time around, so you cannot use this coupon, plus I'm pretty sure you can't use the coupon anyways, the site says "cannot be combined with any offer".

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zandert33 posted:

Well Barnes and Noble actually have the Blus on sale for "$19.99" this time around, so you cannot use this coupon

Yes, you can. Read the fine print. And it has always said that it can't be combined with other offers. That's never stopped anyone.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

zandert33 posted:

Well Barnes and Noble actually have the Blus on sale for "$19.99" this time around, so you cannot use this coupon, plus I'm pretty sure you can't use the coupon anyways, the site says "cannot be combined with any offer".

It's based on the non-sale price, which is typically $39.99. I've used coupons like this to great effect in the past... it usually take a little explanation on your part, but you should have no problem getting them for 50% + 10%* + $5 off per movie.

*Note, this is only if you have the membership, which gets you an additional $10 off of the already discounted price, not a combined 60% off of the original price.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

Enjoy your $13 Blu-Rays.

I'm getting all teary-eyed just thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Anyone know how long this sale goes for? The month perhaps?

I've pre-ordered Night of the Hunter and Antichrist and was very close to buying Playtime, Repulsion, and The Thin Red Line, all three of which are at the top of my "films next to see" list. I thought better to ask for them as holiday gifts.