Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Wikipedia posted:

When he guest-starred on Seinfeld (1990) in "The Jacket" episode as Elaine's father, Alton Benes, he scared the cast so badly that they never had him back on. He stole a butcher knife from the set and hid it under his jacket. When Jerry Seinfeld confronted him about it (much to the dismay of the entire cast), Tierney made a joking stabbing motion towards him as in reference to the movie Psycho. Writer Larry David said that Tierney returned to the show's offices about a week after shooting on the episode had wrapped, late on a Saturday night; although uncertain of his motive, David speculated that he was "looking for a sandwich or something."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
There was a box of raisins on the coffee table. Did you, by any chance, take them with you when left?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
This thread is wonderful, it has really renewed my interest in Seinfeld.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Ishamael posted:

That's weird. I thought it was pretty much universally known.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Q3orQhEcA

Greatest American Hero is one of those shows I remember very fondly from being young, but upon rewatching it is just crap.

I don't know any of the songs on the show. Lemon Tree? Whatever song George is singing when he's driving around in Jon Voight's car? Dunno.

Actually I know Downtown, but that's it.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

stratdax posted:

I don't know any of the songs on the show. Lemon Tree? Whatever song George is singing when he's driving around in Jon Voight's car? Dunno.

deessssperado :smith:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Your Proud Pal posted:

deessssperado :smith:

Oooooooh, Witch-ay woman!

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Doctor, we're losing him! Doctor!

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

stratdax posted:

Whatever song George is singing when he's driving around in Jon Voight's car? Dunno.

When George is driving Jon Voight's car, he sings "Everybody's Talkin'" by Harry Nillson.

The song was used as the theme for the movie "Midnight Cowboy," which starred Voight.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Capt. Sticl posted:

When George is driving Jon Voight's car, he sings "Everybody's Talkin'" by Harry Nillson.

The song was used as the theme for the movie "Midnight Cowboy," which starred Voight.

Also the scene at the end of the episode with Jerry/Kramer on the bus is the same as the ending from Midnight Cowboy.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

stratdax posted:

You are a young man.

Tippy toe! Tippy toe! I mean, lemon tree, lemon tree.

Valhalska
May 3, 2007

Please do not be alarmed, we are about to engage...
The Nozzle.

neoboman posted:

You are a young man.

Tippy toe! Tippy toe! I mean, lemon tree, lemon tree.

That’s what you had to tell me? Your father wears sneakers in the pool?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Oolarg posted:

That’s what you had to tell me? Your father wears sneakers in the pool?

That's doubly funny because at the time that episode aired, we had never seen George's father. And then, later on in the series when we did meet him, I could totally see him being a guy to wear his sneakers in the pool.

Also, holy poo poo. I know it's Wikipedia and all, but:

quote:

In Frank's first appearance in the episode "The Handicap Spot" of season 4, the character was played by John Randolph. At the urging of series creator Larry David, once Stiller had been cast for Frank Costanza, the scenes with Randolph were reshot with Stiller for syndication.

I know there's an episode where Jerry's father is played by someone else, but does anyone know if the original version of this episode is out there somewhere?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
It's on the dvd.

Also, Frank not wanting to take his shoes off was brought up at least two more times.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Cheese and biscuits, you're right! It is on the DVD!

Click here for the full 1118x746 image.

John Randolph is probably best known around here as Clark's dad from Christmas Vacation. He's great, but Stiller IS Frank Costanza.

Also, from that same scene:

Click here for the full 1128x748 image.

I'm just now noticing jokes from an episode almost 18 years old.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Cheese and biscuits, you're right! It is on the DVD!

Click here for the full 1118x746 image.

What is that in the window above George's head? I'm sure it's a lamp or something like that but it looks like a face and it's scaring me

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Your Proud Pal posted:

What is that in the window above George's head? I'm sure it's a lamp or something like that but it looks like a face and it's scaring me

It... looks like George.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

That's what I was thinkin but it couldn't possibly be his reflection maybe thats the Seinfeld ghost.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

It... looks like George.

It looks like Dhalsim.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Your Proud Pal posted:

Larry David is watching you.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

George's first dad could astrally project.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, from that same scene:

Click here for the full 1128x748 image.

I'm just now noticing jokes from an episode almost 18 years old.

I don't get it, where is the joke in that picture?

Spoonerism
Sep 10, 2006

fritzov posted:

I don't get it, where is the joke in that picture?

George is reading his mother's Glamour magazine... again

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Spoonerism posted:

"Glamour"?

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
I can't look at George in his goretex jacket without thinking of ironman's grey armor.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Your Proud Pal posted:

That's some freaky 3 Men and a Baby poo poo

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

Spoonerism posted:

Ok now i get it.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
George is a genius I tell you. Thanks to George's wisdom, I now know that when I'm in class, all I have to do is look frustrated in order to appear busy and attentive.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

neoboman posted:

It looks like Dhalsim.

mr. slendermarbles :cry:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bruckner posted:

George is a genius I tell you. Thanks to George's wisdom, I now know that when I'm in class, all I have to do is look frustrated in order to appear busy and attentive.

Leave your car parked at work, they'll think you're the first to arrive and the last to leave!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Capt. Sticl posted:

Damnit, I really need to see that movie.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I'm here to clean the carpets. Most of the world is carpeted, and one day, we will do the cleaning.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

bruckner posted:

Well you've got a lot to do!!

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

bruckner posted:

If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I love the bombable discussion from The Package

Why can't I be bombable?

Who's going to bomb you, an airline for all the stupid little peanut
jokes?

I suppose you think your bombable.

Hey, there's a couple of people that wouldn't mind having me out of
the way.

There's more than a couple

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010

Hank Morgan posted:

If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.

It's not a lie, if you believe it.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I've only followed this thread sporadically so forgive me if this question has been raised before:

Would Seinfeld have fared even better without a laugh track? It has become such an anachronism for sitcoms, but even back in the day I thought it took away from the show. However, a laugh track does set up a certain timing scheme and rhythm to jokes. Even a live audience laughing would generate a different feel than your modern one camera sitcom.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I'd imagine most here would contend that it's one of the very few that skates just fine with audience noise. They certainly accommodated it quite effectively in terms of beats and timing, but it was no small effort. Like those stories about how you can trace a timeline over a few early seasons by the progressively more boisterous laughter whenever Kramer enters the apartment to the apex where the audience had to be cautioned to knock it down a few notches from then on.

I mean, it's also a huge help that Seinfeld was consistently hilarious for nearly its entire run.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CatchrNdRy posted:

I've only followed this thread sporadically so forgive me if this question has been raised before:

Would Seinfeld have fared even better without a laugh track? It has become such an anachronism for sitcoms, but even back in the day I thought it took away from the show. However, a laugh track does set up a certain timing scheme and rhythm to jokes. Even a live audience laughing would generate a different feel than your modern one camera sitcom.
Didn't Seinfeld have a live audience?

As it is, you couldn't remove the laugh track. Kramer's physical bits would seem awkward, and the pacing would be all off. I do think they could have easily adapted the show to work without one, but I don't think it would have fared better. Seinfeld did so well the way it was that there's probably nothing tangible that you could change that would have made it any more popular.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

wa27 posted:

Didn't Seinfeld have a live audience?

As it is, you couldn't remove the laugh track. Kramer's physical bits would seem awkward, and the pacing would be all off. I do think they could have easily adapted the show to work without one, but I don't think it would have fared better. Seinfeld did so well the way it was that there's probably nothing tangible that you could change that would have made it any more popular.

It was a live audience, and by the later seasons they had ask people to stop applauding so much whenever Kramer walked on set. I agree that removing the laugh track would disrupt the pacing of the dialogue a lot, which was designed to accommodate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

El Negocio posted:

It was a live audience, and by the later seasons they had ask people to stop applauding so much whenever Kramer walked on set. I agree that removing the laugh track would disrupt the pacing of the dialogue a lot, which was designed to accommodate it.

I guess the scenes that seem the most cheesy are the intro comedy club scenes with cut-aways to laughing people at tables.