Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

HorrorJunkie posted:

You are a fool if you missed out on Vulcano.

That's the thing, the concert had already started by the time I found out about it (GMT +1 here). :smith:

Slow snipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUYE3924Zgo

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Anyone know if the two dvd version of until the light takes us is worth the money and hunt? I can find the single dvd version around here but the double is sold out and ten bucks extra.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Totally worth it. The second disc has an additional 35 minute film, as well has several hours of interviews with Darkthrone, Varg, Hellhammer, Frost (who comes off as a tremendous douchebag) , Ulver, and a few others.

I haven't checked the production company's website (Factory 25...?) since mine arrived, but that might not be a bad place to start.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

Totally worth it. The second disc has an additional 35 minute film, as well has several hours of interviews with Darkthrone, Varg, Hellhammer, Frost (who comes off as a tremendous douchebag) , Ulver, and a few others.

I haven't checked the production company's website (Factory 25...?) since mine arrived, but that might not be a bad place to start.

well I read the description of what was on it but no opinions about it being worth getting or not. I'm not surprised frost sucks considering what a dildo he came off like in the movie. Does hellhammer up himself to platinum card rear end in a top hat in the extras too?

But poo poo I could watch darkthrone interviews all day.

edit: anyone know why emperor was nowhere near this movie? granted it's fun watching frost almost kill himself but emperor had way more to do with things than that numbnuts.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 28, 2010

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
In that 'alternate' film Hellhammer absolutely does. I haven't watched any of the other extras interviews yet, just the Varg and Frost ones.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Morbid Florist posted:

But poo poo I could watch darkthrone interviews all day.

drat right, Fenriz is just brilliant no matter what he does, whether he's being stupid or serious, he just comes across as a really chilled, down-to-earth dude. :cheers:

I think Emperor not being nearby was either due to rights or wanting to distance themselves from the more off kilter people (like Frost and Hellhammer) in the movie.

It could also have to do with the film's apparent idolisation of Varg in his interviews. I seem to remember Ihsahn disagreeing quite vehemently with Varg's philosophies and the murder of Euronymous in "Lords of Chaos", though I may be mixing things up.

Edit: Fenriz just being awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh2-MeMuDuI

Radio Paranoia fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 28, 2010

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Radio Paranoia posted:

drat right, Fenriz is just brilliant no matter what he does, whether he's being stupid or serious, he just comes across as a really chilled, down-to-earth dude. :cheers:

In my opinion fenriz is the lemmy of metal. I can't disagree with anything he says and he seems like the coolest guy to hang out with.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

In my opinion fenriz is the lemmy of metal. I can't disagree with anything he says and he seems like the coolest guy to hang out with.

Lemmy isn't metal? :confused:

I have a feeling that Emperor was on their extended hiatus during filming in addition to their unwillingness of being mixed in with the numbnut crowd. So maybe they wouldn't want to sit down for a thing reminiscing the past when they were crackign on stuff for the future.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Kaiho posted:

Lemmy isn't metal? :confused:

Lemmy is straight up rock n roll, despite being god and midwife of modern metal.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

It could also have to do with the film's apparent idolisation of Varg in his interviews. I seem to remember Ihsahn disagreeing quite vehemently with Varg's philosophies and the murder of Euronymous in "Lords of Chaos", though I may be mixing things up.

Edit: Fenriz just being awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh2-MeMuDuI

That's pretty much the only thing I have against the film, myself. From what I've heard most members of the original bands just wanted to do their thing, and loath Varg for bringing politics into the picture, even for bringing BM into the media spotlight.
And, not counting his own musical achievements, his 'contribution' to the genre is murdering Euronymous, yet every time there's a docu or article on BM, he gets to speak at length.

More Fenriz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2juYt521w

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

We are not living in a trailer camp...just listening to anthrax you know

I loving love this man

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

drat, just looked through my newspaper and saw Nifelheim is doing a gig in my town tonight. :(
Together with a band from brazil called Volcano, who are "legendary", but aren't on Metal Archives. :confused:

Travel to Uppsala and check them out when they're coming back in a few weeks. You won't regret it.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

More Fenriz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2juYt521w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gqOY1dIUrU

"Transylvanian Hunger... any thoughts, any rememberance?"

"In 1994 we still had no clue what was going on in the rest of the black metal world.... this time TOTALLY Bathory stuff (...) we went from a larger studio this time to a four-track necrohell studio (...) in black metal drumming is not important".

Dude is a loving hero. They're just sitting outside, on a porch, in the freezing cold, smoking and shooting the poo poo.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
My favorite is still Nocturno Culto showing off darkthrone's studio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgIIjM24yA0&feature=related

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

edit: anyone know why emperor was nowhere near this movie? granted it's fun watching frost almost kill himself but emperor had way more to do with things than that numbnuts.

There are interviews with Bård Eithun (Faust), who was the drummer for Emperor until he got arrested for murder. I guess Ihsahn didn't want to talk to the film crew, or maybe they just chose to talk to Faust because the crime he committed was very important for the media outrage against the BM-scene in the 90's. Even though he is not a high-profile BM-celebrity, he contributed strongly to the notoriety of Norwegian black metal.

Why they gave Frost so much screen time is, however, not easy to comprehend.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

IF we're posting Fenriz stuff, then you've got to have this classic with really drunk Fenriz. "Always big sunglasses - cool band"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh2-MeMuDuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh2-MeMuDuI

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Pleasure to chill posted:

Why they gave Frost so much screen time is, however, not easy to comprehend.

Yeah, I don't get that at all. He just comes across as "living the lifestyle" of being all true and grim and :black101: provided there's some kind of media spotlight on him. (The scene on the place with the little kid staring up at some sort of black metal tranny in the seat next to him was hilarious!)

As I see it, the contrast to Frost is Fenriz, who is in the same position but doesn't appear to be putting anything on for the camera and is just being himself.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
That's the problem with black metal, isn't it? An overly high proportion of poser cunts.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Does anyone know what band fenriz mentions at 2:49 in this interview?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqp6rdJt7Qc

It sounds like "metallion" but I can't find any band with that name. He calls them darkthrone mixed with motorhead, and I think he's saying they're from norway too.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Battalion? metal archives lists like 10 different thrash bands with that name, so good luck.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

Battalion? metal archives lists like 10 different thrash bands with that name, so good luck.

This has to be them
http://www.myspace.com/thebatallion666

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
big sunglasses; gotta be.

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn
Does anyone know why Eudaimony never released the three promo tracks they recorded back in like 2007 and/or what the gently caress is up with them as a project? It's been a long time since the last update.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Has anybody here heard Blazing War Machine?

It's an "Industrial black metal" project with members from Dagoba in it. Personally the "industrial" part is more in aesthetic than anything else (silly makeup and sillier song titles), it's mostly your typical symphonic black metal fare, but I was completely blown away by their full length this weekend.

It's kind of what I think Dimmu Borgir would sound like if they'd pushed the sound present on tracks like Mourning Palace and Vredesbyrd. It's nothing revolutionary, but drat me if it isn't a great album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASe6iJbJ8gM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srurrY_TMas

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
One release I have tried as hard as possible to get, or even just to hear for the sake of knowing how it was, is Sigfader which the line-up was ...

Gaahl (Kristian Eivind Espedal) - Vocals (Gorgoroth)
Goatboy (Tarjei Øvrebotten) - Guitar (Deathcult (Nor), Infernal Manes)
Skagg (Stian Lægreid) - Guitar (Taake, Deathcult (Nor))
Thurzur (Jan Atle Lægreid) - Guitar (Taake, Deathcult (Nor))
Kvitrafn (Einar Selvik) - Drums (Bak De Syv Fjell, Gorgoroth)

According to Enclopedia Metallium they released something in 1999, but I have never been able to even hear what it sounded like, let alone much other info about it, but they do have a promo photo so they planned something. I thought of it to be along the lines of a failed project like God Seed, but it says they did release something.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=23121

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Plasma1010 posted:

Sigfader

Hot drat that sounds like it would be badass. The only thing of interest I found was this which basically helps zero.

Bummer too, cause that's a killer lineup.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
You're not going to find that in all likelihood. Stuff that's only passed on to "the worthy" usually means 5-10 tapes passed to close friends. If it was going to leak, it'd have happened by now.

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn
Yeah much as I wish it wasn't the case you will never find Sigfaders Hevner. It was probably really good, though.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
The producers of Until The Light Takes Us are streaming the entire movie, plus extras on the movie's website now http://www.blackmetalmovie.com/moviepage.html

edit: Oh but you have to pay for it. I should really check these things out before I rush to post post post. It is worth the $2.49, though.

RHTITE fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 6, 2010

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

RHTITE posted:

The producers of Until The Light Takes Us are streaming the entire movie, plus extras on the movie's website now http://www.blackmetalmovie.com/moviepage.html

edit: Oh but you have to pay for it. I should really check these things out before I rush to post post post. It is worth the $2.49, though.

It's also been on Sundance Channel about once a week.

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn
Has anyone else got Sviga Læ yet and if so what are your opinions on it?

I'd maybe go so far as to call it Arckanum's best release, it's got a lot going for it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I haven't see it discussed yet, is the new Arckanum any good?

edit: vvvv Well, that's embarrassing.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 10, 2010

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

I haven't see it discussed yet, is the new Arckanum any good?

Ahaha, look up one post

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I don't think new Arckanum is the guy's best work based on initial listen, but it is excellent and I expect it to grow on me as it gets more time. If you like the style, absolutely pick it up.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I'm looking for some BM which is like Altar of Plagues and WITTR in that it focuses a lot more on moods and songwriting (moreso AOP) rather than negative and grimness, no ColdWorlds please!

Bit of a tough ask but it's always appreciated

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Cold Day posted:

I'm looking for some BM which is like Altar of Plagues and WITTR in that it focuses a lot more on moods and songwriting (moreso AOP) rather than negative and grimness, no ColdWorlds please!

It sounds like you're into atmospheric stuff. Check out Drudkh (not their newest), Alcest's Le Secret EP, Walknut.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

drainpipe posted:

It sounds like you're into atmospheric stuff. Check out Drudkh (not their newest), Alcest's Le Secret EP, Walknut.

Wellll Drudkh I think has some "negativeness" in their lyrics.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I guess I'll chuck out a few UK acts. Winterfylleth and Wodensthrone, the latter in particular, should appeal to anyone wanting atmospheric black metal. Askival might be worth your time too.

By far the best "atmospheric" styled album I've heard in recent years though was from Canada. Forteresse's Métal Noir Québécois.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Plasma1010 posted:

Wellll Drudkh I think has some "negativeness" in their lyrics.

For those of us who do not understand Ukrainian, this is a pretty distant concern.

Also, check out Skagos.

Edit: And also Fen.

Groke fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Cold Day posted:

You should maybe check out Negura Bunget, Cobalt and Krallice too. Cobalt's lyrics have a lot to do with Hemingway and their songwriting is great!

Fauna are pretty good as well, if you're into +60 minute songs.