Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Which one of you was on today's pointless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

Dicky B posted:

Is that a new series? The first one was excellent and I was hoping they would bring it back for another.

Yup, new series of 6 episodes.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Muppetjedi posted:

Which one of you was on today's pointless?

I saw it yesterday and there was a neckbeard with a cowboy hat who mentioned Venetian Snares, is that who you mean?

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, with his kangaroo skin hat.

He was on today's episode as well. He won.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Muppetjedi posted:

Oh man spoilers.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

HoldYourFire posted:

I saw it yesterday and there was a neckbeard with a cowboy hat who mentioned Venetian Snares, is that who you mean?

I can't believe Venetian Snares was brought up on BBC 2. That makes me feel warm inside. If he isn't a goon i'd be shocked.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

NaDy posted:

I can't believe Venetian Snares was brought up on BBC 2.

Soon to be touring with Acker Bilk.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Obama's on the Daily Show tonight.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From the sounds of it Jon Stewart gives him some stick, rather then brown nosing him for 30 minutes.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

Muppetjedi posted:

His partner was equally goony:

They only won £1,250 - I know the BBC is tightening its belt, but that's ridiculous.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They will blow it all on subscriptions to Tank Model Monthly and 1980s computer parts before the week is through.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's that symbol on his shirt? Looks like either a phi or psi drawn with really bad handwriting.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

The pHo posted:

It's a shame, because it's a format we do well but with, generally, terrible guests. With the right mix of both American and British people (e.g. it was evident for a long time that Peter Serafinowicz and Will Arnett got along even before Running Wilde, and it extends beyond those guys)

Just out of curiosity, where was this evident? I can remember a scene in, maybe the Peter Serafonowicz show where they're both strolling with their showbiz wives and bump into each other, but are there any other instances of collaboration?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Jawidar posted:

His partner was equally goony:

They only won £1,250 - I know the BBC is tightening its belt, but that's ridiculous.

It was only because the jackpot had already been won the day before. It starts at £1000 with an extra £1000 being added every day the jackpot isn't won, plus £250 for every pointless answer found during the show. If they had gone a week without a winner the jackpot would be a much healthier sum, over £7000.

I watch this show quite a lot, it's much better than Deal or No Deal.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Re: Getting On

It is a new series, the first episode was directed by Peter Capaldi, who will be appearing later on in the series too. Gonna be a 6 episode season rather than 3. Also it is brilliant, and probably the second most realistic piece of fiction I've ever witnessed after The Wire.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Jawidar posted:

There was for a long time no cash prizes on BBC shows. It was deemed inappropriate to go giving away licence fee payers money. But totally appropriate to spend the exact same amount of a dishwasher, and to give that away.

I think weakest link was the time they changed the rule, but even now, you'll notice any cash prize tends to be modest.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've taken to playing along with The Million Pound Drop online.

I'm not sure why, but it's quite fun. I can never resist just plonking all my money on my best guess if I'm not sure though. I rarely split my imaginary money up. I suppose that makes the whole thing a bit pointless.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

incredible bear posted:

Re: Getting On

It is a new series, the first episode was directed by Peter Capaldi, who will be appearing later on in the series too. Gonna be a 6 episode season rather than 3. Also it is brilliant, and probably the second most realistic piece of fiction I've ever witnessed after The Wire.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just watched this on iplayer and it was very good, but also very depressing. Black comedy with an emphasis on black. Jo Brand is really funny, but the shape of her body is just baffling.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

There was for a long time no cash prizes on BBC shows. It was deemed inappropriate to go giving away licence fee payers money. But totally appropriate to spend the exact same amount of a dishwasher, and to give that away.

I think weakest link was the time they changed the rule, but even now, you'll notice any cash prize tends to be modest.
I'd never really thought about it before, but you're right - there aren't many BBC game shows that give away money. And of the ones that do, Eggheads is the same as Pointless (£1,000 each episode) and Weakest Link never seems to give away more than a few grand. The lottery programmes (like 1 v. 100) seem to give away a lot though...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Catherine Tate is the Skeletor of comedy and I wish ill upon her.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
loving hell, Buzzcocks tonight was one of the most awkward and stilted bits of television I've ever watched. Catherine Tate can't even read.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jawidar posted:

The lottery programmes (like 1 v. 100) seem to give away a lot though...

Not funded by the License Fee, funded by Camelot etc.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Catherine Tate is the Skeletor of comedy and I wish ill upon her.
I actually kinda fancy her, am I weird?

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Graviton v2 posted:

I don't fancy her but I sometimes find extreme stupidness attractive.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Graviton v2 posted:

Get off the internet, Doctor Who.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
It's never a good thing when the host is consistently outwitted and outcharmed by everyone else on the panel.

They should have given Howard Marks or Badly Drawn Boy that hosting role, they were both great. Hell, even her from N-Dubz was entertaining enough compared to Tate.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Catherine Tate is an act, it's forced and you can tell. Which makes it even worse. The best example being the awful slag/slang gag.

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
Is anybody else getting a weird bug where the sound doubles on the iplayer ?

Quentine
May 1, 2006
Of course. I'm deep. Just don't tell nobody.
Have y'all seen this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/extra/2010/oct/21/thickofit

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Graviton v2 posted:

No you're not. I've got some serious lesbian crush on her.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

A Humble Narcissist posted:

No you're not. I've got some serious lesbian crush on her.
I think thats twice we have agreed on a chick now, if I could convert you back to hetro it might be a match made in heaven.

Either that or im a lesbian in a mans body.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
gently caress the haters I'm enjoying phoneshop.

The big problem with it was that the first ep was quite rubbish and with 4 of the same chav characters, the episodes after have been great though.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

An0 posted:

I've had that! Turning it off and on again helps.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Graviton v2 posted:

I think thats twice we have agreed on a chick now, if I could convert you back to hetro it might be a match made in heaven.

Either that or im a lesbian in a mans body.

Richie: "Come back to my place ... and I'll cure you!"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

An0 posted:

This happens to me all the time. It seems to happen when you pause the program for an extended (5 minutes+) period of time.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Richie: "Come back to my place ... and I'll cure you!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xorvPO6K78s

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Time to see how funny this is after this much time, with only the sound on, whilst working.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Misfits series 2 starts on Thursday 11th November.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Brown Moses posted:

Misfits series 2 starts on Thursday 11th November.

yess

Can't wait, caught it on on demand a couple months after it came out, remembering the praise it caught on here, thanks guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Which is why the premise would be utterly hilarious, I want to hear the confused drunken ramblings of a Irishman wondering who the hell are half the bands in Rock Bands or Guitar Hero now trying to work for a song he knows and wants to play.

Let's Plays by Dara O'Brien. Sign me up.