Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than ten books in the end. Ideas are cut or rewritten, etc. There's still the subplots to consider, especially since it's epic fantasy. There's four principle characters so far and a lot of questions, but there's a lot of other things that can happen that can take a lot of page space.

Dalinar promised to get shardplate for his younger son, so that's still up in the air, as are the consequences of him getting it, nevermind the methods Dalinar goes through to get it. King Elhokar is still paranoid and isn't likely to just let Dalinar become the Highprince of War without some sort of struggle, though whether the resolve comes from within or from another source (Sadeas probably) is also up in the air. Kaladin's crew are no longer bridgemen so there needs to be some time devoted to show the transition in their lives as well as on the field. Keep in mind that as bridgemen, they never really had to fight before.

And there's always the possibility of one mystery leading to another, which is almost a given. Shallan and Jasnah are currently just looking into the matter of the Parshendi and their motivations. There's still a lot of mystery concerning the past that they haven't even mentioned yet, like all the questions raised in the prologue, Shadesmar, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Dalinar's Shardplate: Dalinar's giving his own Shardplate to Renarin. Which means, when Szeth comes to kill Dalinar, he won't have a Shardblade or Plate anymore. :ohdear:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Superstring posted:

Dalinar's Shardplate: Dalinar's giving his own Shardplate to Renarin. Which means, when Szeth comes to kill Dalinar, he won't have a Shardblade or Plate anymore. :ohdear:

No, but he will have Kaladin. drat I can't wait until Szeth schools him on using his new powers...shits gonna be loving epic!

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

soru posted:

I understand that and my point was that it could be backwards from what you've assumed.

That's how I read it from the beginning. Perhaps the cost lead to Renarin becoming an invalid, though the old magic may not work that way.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Cartoon Man posted:

No, but he will have Kaladin. drat I can't wait until Szeth schools him on using his new powers...shits gonna be loving epic!

I don't think Szeth will have such an easy time of it. True, he has more experience, but Kaladin is coming into his own fairly quickly and his use of the power is much more instinctual.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Skellen posted:

I don't think Szeth will have such an easy time of it. True, he has more experience, but Kaladin is coming into his own fairly quickly and his use of the power is much more instinctual.

My own pet theory is: that his spren/sidekick is somehow connected to shard plate. Possibly becoming or powering normal shard plate to the glowy stuff. Since her full sentience seems to be directly connected to being near/with a Radiant Knight I expect she's some form of symbiont.

Either way it's going to be a painful wait for the rest of the series.

mabbott74
Mar 13, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

This book may be good or bad, I have no idea, but the description of it on wikipedia makes it sound loving hilarious:

Oh okay, kind of interesting.

Uh oh.

Hahahahaha.

Shartblade.

Sounds like a videogame I would play.

I wonder if he'll wield the mystical shartblade?

This is border-line trolling.

If you don't like it, gently caress off and go to another thread.

mabbott74
Mar 13, 2006

BananaNutkins posted:

Yea, well, find me a fantasy book that has a good summary. I think the pitch has little to do with the quality of the actual book, and I'm pretty sure that a lot of the times the writer wasn't even involved.

Here's a pitch where the writer WAS involved and it still turned out silly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9usnlWLK7I

My favorite line: "I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs to make the minstrels weep."

This book is anything but silly. Excellently written book; I can't believe that it is his debut novel.

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

mabbott74 posted:

This is border-line trolling.

If you don't like it, gently caress off and go to another thread.

What's funny about that post, for those of us that read the story. Kaladin has an opportunity to get a shardblade, yet, turns it down. No so predictable as that individual thought.

mabbott74
Mar 13, 2006
I know this is the TWoK/TSA thread, but if you are looking for something to read, I would highly recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

You will not be disappointed.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

mabbott74 posted:

I know this is the TWoK/TSA thread, but if you are looking for something to read, I would highly recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

You will not be disappointed.

Until you finish it and want to read the next one.

Girk
Apr 6, 2006

Sup?
This book was surprisingly good. Sanderson is one of the best at stringing those epic fantasies together coherently that I've seen. The world was really intriguing too; lots of interesting ecological ideas. Very inventive.

The pacing was a bit off, and I found myself really only giving a poo poo about Kaladin, but at least he kept it very centered on just a couple characters. That's one of the #1 rules for epic fantasy for me - don't get caught up in a dozen different characters. I actually prefer just one point of view but I can live with splitting just a couple.

sadwallaby
Apr 12, 2002

Really liked this. Kaladin by far my favorite character, glad good things are happening with him. Badass things, no less.

I like how the overall world is shaping up, too. Odium rules, most powerful of the 16? I'm assuming that's what the Heralds were talking about in the first prologue, the killer of the Almighty, ie evil god / shardholder in charge.

Two years is going to be a long wait :(

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

Girk posted:

This book was surprisingly good. Sanderson is one of the best at stringing those epic fantasies together coherently that I've seen. The world was really intriguing too; lots of interesting ecological ideas. Very inventive.

The pacing was a bit off, and I found myself really only giving a poo poo about Kaladin, but at least he kept it very centered on just a couple characters. That's one of the #1 rules for epic fantasy for me - don't get caught up in a dozen different characters. I actually prefer just one point of view but I can live with splitting just a couple.

I agree about the pacing. It seems like the story lagged for a few chapters then surged forward to make up for it. The story did suffer through a little too much Kaladin feeling sorry for himself about the people around him that die, I think we can all agree that gets old the fourth time over.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

combat_potato posted:

I agree about the pacing. It seems like the story lagged for a few chapters then surged forward to make up for it. The story did suffer through a little too much Kaladin feeling sorry for himself about the people around him that die, I think we can all agree that gets old the fourth time over.

Yeah that did get a little old. But I do like the position he's in for Book 2. He's in charge of his own group of ultra loyal self trained troops and he still holds a grudge agaisnt most of the aristocracy. I'm sure the monarchy is going to hell in the next book and it will be interesting to see what he does.

Has the book been out long enough to still need spoilers in the thread?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cartoon Man posted:

It's been out for almost two months, so I don't personally have a problem with dropping spoiler tags once the thread hits the next page so people aren't accidentally spoiled on this one. I don't know how that sort of thing usually works around here, though.

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah that did get a little old. But I do like the position he's in for Book 2. He's in charge of his own group of ultra loyal self trained troops and he still holds a grudge agaisnt most of the aristocracy. I'm sure the monarchy is going to hell in the next book and it will be interesting to see what he does.

Oh man, so excited for Kaladin vs Szeth.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I finished Elantris today, apparently I'm going in reverse order. Started with Way of Kings, then Mistborn, now Elantris.

Has anyone noticed there's a "Hoid" in all Sanderson's books?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

soru posted:

I finished Elantris today, apparently I'm going in reverse order. Started with Way of Kings, then Mistborn, now Elantris.

Has anyone noticed there's a "Hoid" in all Sanderson's books?

Yes, apparently they all take place in the same universe, and there may be something tying them all together at some point down the road. But I believe Brandon's gone on record as saying they are all the same Hoid, though I don't have a source right now and may be mistaken.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Dramatika posted:

Yes, apparently they all take place in the same universe, and there may be something tying them all together at some point down the road. But I believe Brandon's gone on record as saying they are all the same Hoid, though I don't have a source right now and may be mistaken.

basically this. Sandersons entire metaverse revolves around the concept of one all-powerful/all-knowing deity (mentioned by the name of Adonalsium in passing in an epigraph of The Hero of Ages) that shattered into many different 'shards' and were then scattered across the cosmos. These shards seem to group in pairs of opposites (always a 'good' and a 'bad' to balance one another) but they are closer in power and ability to greek deities rather than judeo-christian (unlike Adonalsium). Supposedly we've either directly met or encountered the effects/influence of something like six or seven shards if you read all his books.

Hoid is indeed the same character appearing in all the books and is supposed to get his own story at some point which should illuminate more of his backstory. The Way of Kings is the biggest presence he's had in any of the books that I can remember, in most of them he's either a storyteller or beggar, but he's always some kind of information broker (and he always seems to know more than anyone else about the big picture).

Theres a ton of discussion and intrigue surrounding the metaverse and how the characters all relate, a lot of it surrounding Hoid and his exact nature since there's suggestion in The Well of Ascension that he might not be entirely 'good'

edit: sorry ton of small edits

treeboy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 28, 2010

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This is the blog entry to read if curious whats coming down the pipe.
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/925/Another-Long-and-Rambling-Post-on-Future-Books

Brandon Sanderson posted:

MAYBE COMING SOMEDAY BUT ONLY PARTIALLY WRITTEN

•Dark One (YA dark fantasy.)
•Steelheart (Superhero apocalypse.)
•The King's Necromancer
•The Silence Divine (Shardworld novel, standalone.)
•White Sand (Shardworld trilogy.)
•The Liar of Partinel (Shardworld novel, one of two.)
•Dragonsteel (Major Shardworld epic. Won't be written until Stormlight is done.)

My guess is that Dragonsteel is going to be the big one that reveals a lot about Hoid and Adonalsium.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

Cartoon Man posted:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/925/Another-Long-and-Rambling-Post-on-Future-Books

My guess is that Dragonsteel is going to be the big one that reveals a lot about Hoid and Adonalsium.

Actually I'm pretty sure that The Liar of Partinel is going to be the one that reveals a ton about Hoid. He actually has a ton of unpublished novels he wrote before Elantris, which he shared with a few select readers. I read on his forums that the Liar of Partinel was one such novel in a rough alpha stage, and it had Hoid in it and featured him heavily. (in comparison, this story is probably going to be very different when it comes out, but the general ideas will probably remain the same). In it apparently Hoid is a character, but some of the readers said that the Hoid we see in the rest of the books is actually the apprentice of the Hoid in Liar of Partinel, who takes his name when he dies. If you remember, Hoid said he "stole his name as well from a dear friend" or some such in The Way of Kings.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cartoon Man posted:

Superhero...apocalypse?

Never have two words sounded better together.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ConfusedUs posted:

Superhero...apocalypse?

I'm going to pretend he means superheroes cause the apocalypse, because I started reading Irredeemable, and that makes it way cooler

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Superhero...apocalypse?

Brandon Sanderson posted:

POSSIBLE PROJECTS FOR MY TIME OFF

•Mistborn short story (Looking likely.)
•Unnamed urban fantasy (This is what I'm working on right now. Watch Twitter/Facebook for updates on this story. It involves a necromancer pizza deliveryman as a protagonist.)
•Scribbler revisions (Will almost certainly be done.)
•Finishing one of the unfinished novels mentioned above (Not likely, but you never know.)
"I only get a $1 tip? KLATU VERATA NIKTU!!!"
/raises an army of darkness before driving back to Papa Johns

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I like how his idea of time off consists of working on something not Wheel of Time related. That guy has a work ethic like I will never understand.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

treeboy posted:

These shards seem to group in pairs of opposites (always a 'good' and a 'bad' to balance one another) but they are closer in power and ability to greek deities rather than judeo-christian (unlike Adonalsium). Supposedly we've either directly met or encountered the effects/influence of something like six or seven shards if you read all his books.

I believe there was only one shard in Warbreaker. And in Way of Kings there are three. There's the 'Almighty' (who we don't know what shard he has but I have a guess), 'Cultivation' who is mentioned by the Almighty in one of Dalinar's dreams, and 'Odium' the big bad guy, and it seems the bad guy for the entire cosmere. Cultivations presence explains much about the society where Szeth is from. I think part of the reason Odium may be slightly more powerful than the other shards is he hasn't set down and tried to make people. I think the shards have to invest some of their power in making a world, and its magic, work, so Odium is just slightly more powerful than they are.

Yeroc2 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 30, 2010

Vaniljcola
Jul 11, 2009
More on Shards. mistborn and elantris spoilers
Ruin and Preservation in Mistborn. Sazed has both shards now.
There are two Shards in Elantris. We dont see them but Brandon has made some comments about them.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

There's also suggestion that even though we haven't encountered it directly, the deity of the faction of priests that rebels in warbreaker is the other shard of that world.

sorry about lack of names, its been awhile since i read the book and don't have it with me

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I got Brandon to sign my copy of TWoK when I went to the Towers of Midnight signing event. I like fantasy books way too much... I couldn't think of anything witty to make him write, hopefully I'll plan a bit better next time, this was kind of last-minute decision to go.

Sorry for the horrible picture of book, I took that just now

subx fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 6, 2010

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

subx posted:

I got Brandon to sign my copy of TWoK when I went to the Towers of Midnight signing event. I like fantasy books way too much... I couldn't think of anything witty to make him write, hopefully I'll plan a bit better next time, this was kind of last-minute decision to go.

Cool! I saw on him tweeting about signing books all week. I wanted to see if he came anywhere in the midwest. Unfortunately he only stops in Detroit, the only place I wouldn't drive. I live in Wisconsin so Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis (St. Paul) were all in.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

combat_potato posted:

Cool! I saw on him tweeting about signing books all week. I wanted to see if he came anywhere in the midwest. Unfortunately he only stops in Detroit, the only place I wouldn't drive. I live in Wisconsin so Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis (St. Paul) were all in.

This was Cinicinnati - about 1.5-2 hour drive for me.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I think he's said that he's expecting to do a much bigger book tour come A Memory of Light, the end of the WoT series. I may head up to the NYC signing in a couple days. I had a friend who decided to head down to VA for a signing this weekend from the Philly area. If she'd have told me before leaving, I might have joined her.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

fordan posted:

I think he's said that he's expecting to do a much bigger book tour come A Memory of Light, the end of the WoT series. I may head up to the NYC signing in a couple days. I had a friend who decided to head down to VA for a signing this weekend from the Philly area. If she'd have told me before leaving, I might have joined her.

I was at that one, Harriet did a reading from the prologue. It was most excellent. Brandon is also an incredibly chill guy. He actually recognized me from the signing a little while back for TWoK

subx
Jan 12, 2003

BrandonSandrson on Twitter posted:

I feel bad, not having Stormlight 2 for you. But there was no way I could do that and AMOL. It is this or nothing. (And this is awesome.)

Guess we have to wait for Stormlight 2. Not that I blame the guy, A Memory of Light is a pretty massive undertaking, finishing up a series like that. At least he's not pulling a GRRM and just not working on anything.

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

subx posted:

Guess we have to wait for Stormlight 2. Not that I blame the guy, A Memory of Light is a pretty massive undertaking, finishing up a series like that. At least he's not pulling a GRRM and just not working on anything.

I saw that too and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I can only hope that the tentative release date of late 2012 hasn't been pushed back further. I seriously lack patience (besides this is a 10 book series, at that pace it'd take 18 years to finish).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think he said we are going to get a mistborn novella some time next year. I can see how this is probably eating at him, he knows that not all of his fans are WOT fans. But finishing WOT is really the best choice for him, he owes it to all his new fans that would have never known about him before. I think there would be riots in the streets if the final book had to wait 2 more years because of Stormlight 2. Theoryland might self destruct...

subx
Jan 12, 2003

combat_potato posted:

I saw that too and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I can only hope that the tentative release date of late 2012 hasn't been pushed back further. I seriously lack patience (besides this is a 10 book series, at that pace it'd take 18 years to finish).

He has said it will take a while anyways - he's going to take a break after the first 3 to write some other things, and then pick it back up to do a few more, then another break.

Hopefully we will get Stormlight 2 in 2012, which even two years apart is alright for a book series. If you are impatient, maybe you should just not read them for a long time when you can read 5 or 6 together.

Anyhow, 18 years sounds fairly likely for the entire series.

Cartoon Man posted:

I think he said we are going to get a mistborn novella some time next year. I can see how this is probably eating at him, he knows that not all of his fans are WOT fans. But finishing WOT is really the best choice for him, he owes it to all his new fans that would have never known about him before. I think there would be riots in the streets if the final book had to wait 2 more years because of Stormlight 2. Theoryland might self destruct...

I agree, especially as a WoT fan. I read a couple of his books before the whole WoT thing happened, but it definitely made me read more of his stuff. Honestly if he only gets AMoL done in the next two years I think that would be a bigger feat than many writers could do in twice the time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon just tweeted that the 1st draft of the mistborn novella is done and should come out next fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silenced Parrot
Dec 20, 2008

My god, it's full of Booze!

Cartoon Man posted:

Brandon just tweeted that the 1st draft of the mistborn novella is done and should come out next fall.

It apparently has an allomancer fight with guns. I cannot wait to sperg out over every little push and pull of bullets.