Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Hawtin on Nov 18th and Tiga on Nov 26 :hellyeah:
I'm also playing a gig in London Ontario mid November, this is looking like a great month.

Also loving Popof right now and I'm very sad I missed him. His basslines are so drat good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EVDDoZKmw

Here are some more tracks I'm loving,
In Out Life (The Groove) - Alex Tepper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=361z7pX4F_M

Whores - Antranig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdxRFGfd7yw

Firaga fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
i hate popof

he puts me to sleep - no idea why

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago House-heads!

So, I was at the Broken Note show at Smart Bar last night / this morning...and some random guy comes up to me and asks me if I'm gonna see Bassnectar on Saturday. I shrug and tell him I didn't know about it...then he gives me two tickets to see Chromeo and A-Trak at the Congress Theater on Saturday (10-30-2010)! I can't use 'em 'cause 1 - short notice, and 2 - I work...so whoever wants 'em and is in the Chicago area better get at me NOW

Send all inquiries HERE.

Nagget
Jan 17, 2003

Mr Viper posted:

First HARD announces a special guest and everyone thinks it's gonna be daft punk. Now this Busy P show is advertising 2 *french* special guest, which of course everyone thinks is gonna be daft punk. I really can't wait for promoters to stop thinking they're clever and intriguing by hinting that DP is gonna be playing their dumpy little events.

You were right, in my sugar coated fantasyland I was hoping it would have been Daft Punk or Justice, but as it turns out it was loving A-Trak and Chromeo, so apparantly "french" and "french Canadian" are the same thing.

The show as great regardless, but I still felt ripped off at the end of the night.

Whoever promoted that poo poo can suck my dick.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.

delicious beef posted:

Weren't Daft punk supposed to be doing a world tour either this year or next, or did I make that up?

Lysis posted:

It was a big hoax last year that they were going on a world tour this year.

The news section of their own site says they are going on a world tour in 2010 or 2011 (at this point, seems more like the latter).

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Nagget posted:

You were right, in my sugar coated fantasyland I was hoping it would have been Daft Punk or Justice, but as it turns out it was loving A-Trak and Chromeo, so apparantly "french" and "french Canadian" are the same thing.

The show as great regardless, but I still felt ripped off at the end of the night.

Don't get pissy because you fell for the oldest trick in the book

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Nagget posted:

unh, "French" and "French Canadian" are the same thing, as french canadians are french.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

i hate popof

he puts me to sleep - no idea why

:qq:

I'm the same way with Dubfire. I love him with Hawtin but I can't get into him on his own.

Nagget
Jan 17, 2003

Threatis posted:

unh, "French" and "French Canadian" are the same thing, as french canadians are french.

Thats like saying I am Italian because I am an Italian American. It depends whether you are referencing cultural heritage or geographic location.

Either way it was a dirty trick.

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
There is literally a French speaking area of Canada. Comparing French-Canadians to Italian-Americans is not on the same level. Once there are language laws like in Quebec, then you can talk about geographical bullshit and cultural heritage.

Furnace fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 30, 2010

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
You guys are either crazy or haven't spent enough time in QC if you don't think there's a difference between French and French Canadian

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
I was born in Montreal and lived there, so I think I know a thing or two about French Canadian and their loving ROOTS. Threatis literally lives 5 minutes away from Quebec, so yeah, we don't know a single Goddamned thing about it.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
bloc quebecois

jk619760
Oct 25, 2007

by T. Finn

Pacra posted:

now now, boys, no top tier genre sissyslap fights in this thread

I was getting sentimental and managed to track down a couple good vids of Sasha and Digweed at Webster Hall in 2008 (after they made webster look cool again.) They do incredible live sets when they're together. Also their LED structure was consistently amazing and varied. Highly recommend seeing either of them when they come around again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVs2cMAjfA0&

Agreed. S&D can do no wrong. Daft Punk might be the "cool" duo to praise, but Sasha and Diggers are on a completely different level in terms of programming sets and shows.
Almost supra-human when it comes to knowing how to work a crowd in tandem like that. No wonder their annual WMC Yacht Parties are the most sought after event during that weekend.
My favorite video from their Buenos Aires set in 2005. Madness when Beta Boy drops!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du60FW2u34U

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

vibrantglow posted:

The news section of their own site says they are going on a world tour in 2010 or 2011 (at this point, seems more like the latter).

Well there was a massive ticket scam based around a Daft Punk world tour in 2009, look it up it's not hard to find.

That being said, Daft Punk playing with Phoenix is a pretty good sign that they'll be touring at some point in the future, after Tron comes out.

Also, Quebec sucks! TDot for life bioottcchhh

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFe41uvBq2I
The dj at work played this tonight, first time i've heard it in a long time, and I figured I'd share it with all of you outside Ireland who've probably never heard this awful poo poo

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

fruitpunch posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFe41uvBq2I
The dj at work played this tonight, first time i've heard it in a long time, and I figured I'd share it with all of you outside Ireland who've probably never heard this awful poo poo

The tune itself wouldn't be that bad for 90s "untz-untz" music, but the MC is horrible.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Yeah that's kinda why I posted it. I remember being 16/17 getting into clubs and that was all the rage. People still go mad for it nowadays, wrecks my head that after a dj plays an astounding mix of los lobos/gypsy kings/ritchie valens remixes that more people were on the dancefloor when he played that :(

Edit: the "MC" is also the "DJ"

Edit 2: that sasha mix is fabulous, it'll keep me going for weeks, it's the first I've ever heard of it, anyone want to fill me in on the "legend?"

forpush fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 30, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Its just that its been so notoriously hard to get. A real collectors item. A well kept secret that everybody talked about.

Only sasha can get this level of cult status going on.

Saw him in Oslo in '99 and the dude was on. loving. point. Holy poo poo.

He finished off with Hardfloors remix of Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke, and the place was literally boiling. Tune of the night was This though. Holy crap i must have lost 5kg's that night.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Mr Viper posted:

You guys are either crazy or haven't spent enough time in QC if you don't think there's a difference between French and French Canadian

yeah dude, i only live in the most french city in english canada, can walk to quebec in under 5 minutes (im literally looking at the bridge over out my window, and am bilingual. you know, i guess i must know poo poo about this topic.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Hooooly crap Avicii played one of the best sets I've heard in a while. He played everything from house to trance to techno, his mixes and loops are spot on, and his track selection is incredible. He picks apart songs and mashes them together.
Bromance closed the trance part of his set and he played the new remix, mixed it into the original, then brought the remix back. So good.

claymore
Feb 5, 2006

French Canadians certainly speak French, albeit their own version, but they are certainly NOT French. Not in culture, not in citizenship, and only superficially in their language. The two cultures are very much different. And Montreal is not at all indicative of the rest of Quebec. In fact, I think they'd both be insulted by such a statement.. well, maybe not some quebecois

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just saw deadmau5 at Voodoo Fest. Completely blew me away. I had no idea he would put on a show that energetic, but it was a great surprise. Second best electronic show I've seen, right behind Pendulum at the House Of Blues.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
This was slightly covered a few pages back but I think it needs a bit more attention. But this new Skrillex EP is amazing IMO, His new With Your Friends mix and Kill Everyone is in my tops for 2010.

Mivias
May 25, 2007

If you want to keep your testicles healthy, remember these three words: stop, touch, and tell.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just saw deadmau5 at Voodoo Fest. Completely blew me away. I had no idea he would put on a show that energetic, but it was a great surprise. Second best electronic show I've seen, right behind Pendulum at the House Of Blues.

Watch your step in this thread. I've personally always enjoyed his shows a ton because he's really energetic and always brings something really interesting to the table. Some folks hate him just to hate him here though, so.

Imapanda posted:

This was slightly covered a few pages back but I think it needs a bit more attention. But this new Skrillex EP is amazing IMO, His new With Your Friends mix and Kill Everyone is in my tops for 2010.

I'm really digging this new release too. Some of my friends were slow to like him after I showed them My Name Is Skrillex and Da Do Oliphant but with this new track Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, they seem to be getting on board. It's just really dynamic and dirty.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mivias posted:

Watch your step in this thread. I've personally always enjoyed his shows a ton because he's really energetic and always brings something really interesting to the table. Some folks hate him just to hate him here though, so.

I already hated on him in this thread, but for petty poo poo. I had no idea what the quality of his live shows was.

At the festival I went to this weekend, I saw a bunch of electronic acts. Rusko, Boys Noize, Ferry Corsten, The Crystal Method, Paul Van Dyk, Oakenfold, deadmau5, etc. But deadmau5 was the most fun out of all of them.

SHOPPA 4 LYFE
Jun 1, 2008

Remember
That on that day, at that hour, I shall lift my arms
And my roots will set off to seek another land
Goddamn Boys Noize absolutely wrecked at the Voodoo afterparty. "Yeah" is such a big song.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Mivias posted:

I've been lurking and I'm curious; could someone give a reason why deadmau5 is so disliked by this thread? I've always thought his stuff was okay but not offensively bad and have teased friends for being really into him. Is it just that he's perceived as mediocre but inexplicably popular and thus deserving of hate or is there some deeper reason to it.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I've been lurking and I'm curious; could someone give a reason why deadmau5 is so disliked by this thread? I've always thought his stuff was okay but not offensively bad and have teased friends for being really into him. Is it just that he's perceived as mediocre but inexplicably popular and thus deserving of hate or is there some deeper reason to it.

Really annoying fanbase and a lot of dick moves that are well documented on the internet thanks to his nerdiness. You don't see this thread up in arms about Tiesto's bland music that he pumps out on the regular, for example, but every time Deadmau5 takes a poo poo the internet knows about it so it opens him up to a lot of hate. His life is highly publicized and highly observed so people like to poo poo on him because they think his music is unworthy of such a rabid fanbase. But it's just music, y'know? Who gives a poo poo? Why making a 'bad' song should be the cause for such outrage is beyond me.

Also, he snubbed threatis at a party once.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
He's a big jackass. He burns bridges and criticizes his peers. His agent had to put out 3/4 apologies last year for stupid poo poo he's said in interviews.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

He's a giant douche, I wasn't disputing that with my post. He put on a great show, though. Almost Daft Punk-like with the big LED "DM" which was kinda like the pyramid at Daft Punk's shows a few years ago. Lots of great visuals, he kept the crowd pumped up the whole time, took off the mask and dressed up like a ghost at one point because it was Halloween, etc. It was just a fun show to witness.

But as a person? Dude's an rear end in a top hat. Just about everything I've heard him say in interviews and stuff he's posted on message boards and the like screams "I'm a giant dick" to me.

Man vs Child
Mar 21, 2004

by Ralp

My good friends from Night Drugs have just given me an awesome Daft Punk remix they just did. I haven't heard a good Daft Punk remix in awhile but this is pretty huge!

Daft Punk - Oh Yeah (Night Drugs remix)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

He's a giant douche, I wasn't disputing that with my post.

See, I dont think his music is all that either. I think it follows a formula and despite being well produced is massively lacking in creativity. It bores me to tears.
A light show is a nice thing to have, but you need that as well as good music otherwise it's pointless for me.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Over AIM, he got very abrasive with a good friend of mine after a bootleg was released containing a sample from one of his records. He threatened that he would get EMI's lawyers to take it down if he didn't, and that he should be ashamed of himself for "stealing other people's music"

It was an edit that he made that was posted by someone else.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I'm not going to dispute the guy is a dick in real life, but god drat if Strobe isn't loving fire.

And yeah the new Skrillex EP is ridiculous. I think people would be more receptive to him if he didn't look like well like a 7th grade gothic lesbian.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA

Thoogsby posted:

I'm not going to dispute the guy is a dick in real life, but god drat if Strobe isn't loving fire.

And yeah the new Skrillex EP is ridiculous. I think people would be more receptive to him if he didn't look like well like a 7th grade gothic lesbian.
Also his facebook updates are obnoxious and could easily be mistaken for a 7th grade gothic lesbian.

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007

He's a giant douche, I wasn't disputing that with my post. He put on a great show, though. Almost Daft Punk-like with the big LED "DM" which was kinda like the pyramid at Daft Punk's shows a few years ago. Lots of great visuals, he kept the crowd pumped up the whole time, took off the mask and dressed up like a ghost at one point because it was Halloween, etc. It was just a fun show to witness.

cant see how any of this matters a whole lot to call it the best set, how was the music? i too know how to toss a sheet over my head..

JimmyJazz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 1, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

JimmyJazz posted:

cant see how any of this matters a whole lot to call it the best set, how was the music? i too know how to toss a sheet over my head..

No, I know. Just sayin' that that kind of stuff is a nice bonus and adds more flair to the show. Some of the DJs I saw this weekend just stood behind the table and spun, fist pumping occasionally but not much more than that.

deadmau5 was actually entertaining to watch in addition to the music being great. High-energy music combined with crazy visuals and an entertainer putting it all on is a winning combination. There wasn't really a single moment during his set when the crowd wasn't seriously pumped up.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Whenever I see a large amount of new posts in this thread, I know somebody posted about deadmau5. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

because his music is absolute poo poo and so is he.