Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Gonzo McFee posted:

Name me a wrestler who isn't.

Barry Horowitz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ricky Steamboat?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

Dean Malenko, that whore!

Trapjaw
Jan 30, 2005

Sup, Haddonfield?
In his defense, this is a guy who ended up having mega success, and I can remember a distinct time when Cactus Jack was pretty much a loving joke character. I'd milk it for all it's worth if things ended up the way they did too.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
When Foley's first book came out, it seemed really honest and humble. Then everyone lauded him so much for his story, his humility and his writing ability, and he never seemed quite so humble again.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Who does WH2K think has the best looking sharp shooter?

I'm pretty sure most people have seen some really good executions of this move and some really poor ones in their time, I seem to remember Stone Cold throwing some pretty sloppy sharp shooters during his latter years.

My vote goes to the Rock, like everything else he does it with a great deal of rhythm and charisma and makes it look so effortless and athletic at the same time.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The Rock did the best copy of anyone's finisher.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Best Sharpshooter would probably be either Bret or Natalya. I love the left-leg version.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Benoit's always looked really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2roXMQtl0k

Edge had a cool variant too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsHarywoKBE

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm trying to list all the things that have been contested for in Ladder Matches over the years. This kinda ties into my previous question about other ladder and ladder-variant matches, as they are the best matches and I want to watch and sort them all, especially odd ones with weird prizes. My list so far:

Belts (all types)
Contracts (MITB, Title Shots, Pink Slips, Dominic Guerrero/Mysterio's parentage, etc.)
Cash (Terri Invitational Tournament, the older ones from the 70s)
A giant red X

Did the urn ever get put up in one, or is that just an SVR thing?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm trying to list all the things that have been contested for in Ladder Matches over the years. This kinda ties into my previous question about other ladder and ladder-variant matches, as they are the best matches and I want to watch and sort them all, especially odd ones with weird prizes. My list so far:

Belts (all types)
Contracts (MITB, Title Shots, Pink Slips, Dominic Guerrero/Mysterio's parentage, etc.)
A giant red X

Kurt Angle's gold medals
Keys to the Cage at Lockdown

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Web Jew.0 posted:

Kurt Angle's gold medals
Keys to the Cage at Lockdown

Thanks. I realize this is the most :spergin: thing, but I love ladders.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Scorpion Deathlock for life.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Belts (all types)
A giant red X

Was the giant red X ever put up in an actual ladder match? I always thought the whole point of the Ultimate X match was that there were no ladders involved (despite them being used a bunch of times).

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Faxman posted:

Was the giant red X ever put up in an actual ladder match? I always thought the whole point of the Ultimate X match was that there were no ladders involved (despite them being used a bunch of times).

I don't think so, but I am considering Ultimate X a ladder variant in the sense of "the thing is up high. get the thing" matches.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Faxman posted:

They used the X in the Williams vs. Buck ladder match I mentioned before. It wasn't billed as a Ultimate X match though. I think it was just a random match when Williams was doing his scared of heights angle. I remember Buck did an awesome sunset flip/powerbomb to Williams off the ladder. I never saw Buck before that match and thought he was just some jobber but his moves really impressed me.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

My vote goes to the Rock, like everything else he does it with a great deal of rhythm and charisma and makes it look so effortless and athletic at the same time.

I always thought the Rock did the worst Sharpshooter. He never seemed to put pressure on the guy. He just squatted slightly, leaned his head back, and opened his mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WasZTh75hCY

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
^

Rock had the worst sharpshooter ever

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Shadalator posted:

^

Rock had the worst sharpshooter ever

Seriously, to bitch about Austin's sharpshooter (which was pretty good in the Owen variation of using the kneepad for leverage) and praise the Rock's "let me slap this on as quickly and weakly as possible" ankle crossing variant is pretty strange.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Rock had kind of a crappy Sharpshooter, but The Rock owns so it all evens out.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

projecthalaxy posted:

Belts (all types)
A giant red X

If you're looking for more in these categories, you can add Three Count's recording contract.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Weapons (Janice, Barbed Wire, Singapore Canes)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The Rock had kind of a crappy Sharpshooter, but The Rock owns so it all evens out.

Rock's Sharpshooter was awesome cuz it looked like he was in more pain than the guy he was putting it on.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I always loved the variant Bret did when he would wrap the guy's legs around the ringpost.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
That was a figure 4, actually.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

If you're looking for more in these categories, you can add Three Count's recording contract.

My favorite contract for a ladder match has to be Austin vs McMahons for the controlling share of a publicly traded company.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
According to Wikipedia, Kaz and AJ Styles had a ladder match to determine who wouldn't have to wear a reindeer costume :psyduck:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As I recall, that was the final of a tournament. So the guys who LOST the earlier rounds didn't have to do anything, but the second place guy gets humiliated...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

My favorite contract for a ladder match has to be Austin vs McMahons for the controlling share of a publicly traded company.

They didn't go public for a couple of months after that. And anyway, the McMahons have the majority of stock in the company so they still could put it up in an SEC sanctioned ladder match. That is why no member of the Corporation could be involved, to prevent possible insider trading.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

MassRayPer posted:

They didn't go public for a couple of months after that. And anyway, the McMahons have the majority of stock in the company so they still could put it up in an SEC sanctioned ladder match. That is why no member of the Corporation could be involved, to prevent possible insider trading.

I wonder what the tax ramifications would have been if Vince and Shane lost since it wouldn't be a sale and it wouldn't be a gift. Would involuntary conversion rules apply if Vince/Shane willingly signed a contract for the match? Did Irwin R. Schyster have the foresight and influence to add wrestling match stipulations to capital gain/loss rules? We may never know

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

MassRayPer posted:

Weapons (Janice, Barbed Wire, Singapore Canes)

I was actually wondering if that had ever happened. It seems so weirdly counter-intuitive to have a match with legal foreign objects where the prize is another foreign object.

Also, chiming in with nothing (King of the Mountain).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

I was actually wondering if that had ever happened. It seems so weirdly counter-intuitive to have a match with legal foreign objects where the prize is another foreign object.

Basically the match is a pinfall/sub stip with "if you get the weapon it is now in play and you can beat the guy up with the weapon" rules. I don't recall if they have to get the weapon before pins count.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

CVagts posted:

Basically the match is a pinfall/sub stip with "if you get the weapon it is now in play and you can beat the guy up with the weapon" rules. I don't recall if they have to get the weapon before pins count.

Right, I get that. But what's the point of a ladder match with Singapore canes at the top of the ladder? Ladders are by definition already a legal weapon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Right, I get that. But what's the point of a ladder match with Singapore canes at the top of the ladder? Ladders are by definition already a legal weapon.

ECW did a lot of stupid poo poo. But in this case a Credible vs Dreamer Stairway to Hell (ladder match with barbed wire as the prize) was changed to a cane on a pole due to "the NY commission." Which could be the case, but they should have known about that before hand since they ran NY all the time.

The crowd let out a collective groan when it was announced, since why the gently caress would you use a cane when you could use a ladder!

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I always wanted to see TnA run an Iron Man ladder match.

Who can retrieve the MOST poo poo from the rafters in 30 minutes?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

That was a figure 4, actually.

No, I distinctly remember Bret using a ringpost version of the Sharpshooter once or twice.

He needed to use the ringpost that had the steps, but still...

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

George Kaplan posted:

Well, there was that match where the belt kept falling down. That's almost like retrieving it multiple times v:shobon:v

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

George Kaplan posted:

Sting wins.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

anakha posted:

No, I distinctly remember Bret using a ringpost version of the Sharpshooter once or twice.

He needed to use the ringpost that had the steps, but still...

He used a ringpost figure 4 and a ringpost Sharpshooter against the Undertaker at SummerSlam 1997. I think both were on the non-step corners though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

Sabu and Sandman had an absolutely brutal ladder match where they retrieved barbed wire after sabu had been stabbing sandman with a pair of loving scissors

Edit: Here it is. It's got what was good and what was bad about ECW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1OEI-Kc-3k

TimberJoe fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 30, 2010