Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Brown Moses posted:

Misfits series 2 starts on Thursday 11th November.

Brilliant. I'm kind of worried that my immediate concern was it might clash with True Blood though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UmYOmTG3B0

Somewhat low-key new Alan Partridge trailer. Not much, just some clips set to mournful music, but guess who co-stars?

TIM KEY :)

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
i though 5th gear was cancelled?

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
I'm sure that this series of QI has been particularly grusome. That 'Humans' episode from a few weeks back where they discussed trepanning, amongst other queezed subjects was pretty bad, and tonights episode is entitled HORRIBLE. :ohdear:

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I just caught the end of Eastenders before QI, why on Earth would you get back inside a stopped car on a level crossing? :ughh:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Magic Mango posted:

I just caught the end of Eastenders before QI, why on Earth would you get back inside a stopped car on a level crossing? :ughh:

That must take the award for the most predictable cliffhanger in soap opera history.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Dell_Zincht posted:

Somewhat low-key new Alan Partridge trailer. Not much, just some clips set to mournful music, but guess who co-stars?

The man is a loving genius.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It looks like Iannucci might get a political drama picked up by HBO. (still won't get a rip-off Sky sub)

Dennis Nedry
Feb 13, 2008
oh geez
Anyone been watching Million Pound Drop? A few of us were playing along live online tonight and I'll be damned if it isn't fun to play.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Dell_Zincht posted:

I love how things tech wise has changed in the studio but Alan still looks like when we last saw him in 2002.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Dennis Nedry posted:

Anyone been watching Million Pound Drop? A few of us were playing along live online tonight and I'll be damned if it isn't fun to play.

I was watching and playing along too (because Fallout New Vegas hasn't arrived yet and what else is there to do on a Friday night?) It is a lot of fun. Davina takes a bit of flak sometimes but you have to admit she does handle a live show very well. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been for those two annoying prats at the end though. I like to think the technical glitch (when their microphones stopped working) was a deliberate protest from one of the sound engineers at their non-stop babbling. Couldn't they get enough 'real' contestants?

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Gram-O-Phone posted:

I was watching and playing along too (because Fallout New Vegas hasn't arrived yet and what else is there to do on a Friday night?) It is a lot of fun. Davina takes a bit of flak sometimes but you have to admit she does handle a live show very well. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been for those two annoying prats at the end though. I like to think the technical glitch (when their microphones stopped working) was a deliberate protest from one of the sound engineers at their non-stop babbling. Couldn't they get enough 'real' contestants?

I thought that they were alright- charming and much less annoying than most of the reality show rejects that are usually on it. It really annoyed me that davina hurries them so much into picking a subject, and then they ramp up the time wasting with tension building pauses and phone calls from close family to say gently caress all.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Magic Mango posted:

The best thing about Eastenders is the crescendo leading up to Christmas. We've got two babies due, a few departures due and a 13 year old coming out of prison with the fantastic leadup line of "we won't even recognize him when he gets out". Which won't be a huge surprise as an entirely new actor has been bought in. poo poo's going to get real in Walford at Christmas! And it'll be in HD from Christmas Day so I'm going to presume they'll blow something up.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable

J33uk posted:

The best thing about Eastenders is the crescendo leading up to Christmas. We've got two babies due, a few departures due and a 13 year old coming out of prison with the fantastic leadup line of "we won't even recognize him when he gets out". Which won't be a huge surprise as an entirely new actor has been bought in. poo poo's going to get real in Walford at Christmas! And it'll be in HD from Christmas Day so I'm going to presume they'll blow something up.

there is one thing i would not like to see in this world and that is a high definition pat butcher, she already looks like a bulldog's scrotum as it is

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

King Crab posted:

there is one thing i would not like to see in this world and that is a high definition pat butcher, she already looks like a bulldog's scrotum as it is
is she still on that? thats the thing that did my head in about that program when I watched it, that women had men fighting over her and she is the loving definition of big ugly pig. maybe she gives real awesome head or something.

ok paul its all made up, its a soap, calm down

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Misfits series 2 starts on Thursday 11th November.

Excellent.

The first series was so good I'm rather interested to see what they can do to maintain, or even to better, that standard.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

Excellent.

The first series was so good I'm rather interested to see what they can do to maintain, or even to better, that standard.

The important question: Will the murder rate equal or beat the 0.5 innocent deaths per episode that season 1 had?

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

I'm hoping there's more shape shifting old ladies

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

I also hope that more programs cater to my weirdly specific fetishes

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I hope we find out more about Superhoodie. And also that poor Simon gets a girlfriend. Preferably one that isn't just using him for information and doesn't die accidentally at his hand not five minutes after giving him a kiss.

I love Misfits, it was the best thing on the telly last year (well, that and Being Human)

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Competition posted:

gently caress the haters I'm enjoying phoneshop.

The big problem with it was that the first ep was quite rubbish and with 4 of the same chav characters, the episodes after have been great though.

I dont see why it was hated so much? It's pretty funny all round and goons have absolutely adored worse.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

watching

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vlq0y/Classic_Albums_Black_Sabbath_Paranoid/

this at the moment. Pretty good documentary. For the most part I'm a little iffy about documentaries of stuff I'm half familiar with as it retreads a lot of old ground, but for a documentary about Paranoid which I haven't listened to for a while let's me appreciate it a bit more.

I noticed that there's a friends thing on bbc iplayer. If it's some kind of social network bullshit specifically for iplayer would anybody else be interested in joining and starting a tiny group? I'm not sure if that's even possible, but if it is it's something I wouldn't mind being a part of perhaps.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Does anyone else watch Merlin?

When it first started, it suffered a bit from predictable plots and klunky dialogue, but as it nears the end of it's third season it's improved immensely. It's still no Deadwood, but it livens up Saturday evening when ITV are busy spewing out x-factor dross.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Does anyone else watch Merlin?

When it first started, it suffered a bit from predictable plots and klunky dialogue, but as it nears the end of it's third season it's improved immensely. It's still no Deadwood, but it livens up Saturday evening when ITV are busy spewing out x-factor dross.

I watch it when I'm babysitting my very small niece and nephew. It's nowhere near as entertaining as Doctor Who, but it's an acceptable substitute. (I should confess that my enjoyment of it is directly proportional to the amount of time Arthur spends shirtless in any given episode.)

But yeah, it really has improved this last season. It's still formulaic but Morgana going evil has helped matters; it's given the season a strong backbone upon which to hang all the monster of the week plots. And tonights' episode about the Fisher King was very solid indeed.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Speaking of Merlin, there was this mini-series about King Arthur that aired when I was in school, so it's definitely mid to late 90s. I remember it being on one of the terrestrial channels (obviously), but I'm pretty sure it was on ITV. Me and my friends discussed it a lot.

Anyone have any idea what it could have been?

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
Possibly this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_%28film%29

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Doctor Who is Doctor Who. A fairer comparison is the Robin Hood series that was in many ways a sibling to Merlin.

That stank. It started with predictable plots and klunky dialogue, and three years later finished with predictable plots and klunky dialogue.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

justcola posted:

watching

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vlq0y/Classic_Albums_Black_Sabbath_Paranoid/

this at the moment. Pretty good documentary. For the most part I'm a little iffy about documentaries of stuff I'm half familiar with as it retreads a lot of old ground, but for a documentary about Paranoid which I haven't listened to for a while let's me appreciate it a bit more.

I noticed that there's a friends thing on bbc iplayer. If it's some kind of social network bullshit specifically for iplayer would anybody else be interested in joining and starting a tiny group? I'm not sure if that's even possible, but if it is it's something I wouldn't mind being a part of perhaps.
thanks for that recommendation, its a good doc.

re your group idea pm me if you want, we can see if we can get it organised. or email me on paul.mumford at gmail.com

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

That's definitely it. I've got to see if I can track this down. Hopefully the rose tinted glasses aren't lying, but I remember it being quite good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just watched this weeks HIGNFY on iPlayer. Is it just me, or is John Bishop yet ANOTHER comedian incapable of reading a loving auto-cue?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

goatface posted:

Just watched this weeks HIGNFY on iPlayer. Is it just me, or is John Bishop yet ANOTHER comedian incapable of reading a loving auto-cue?

He did struggle at points, but I think in general he did a pretty good job. His banter with the others was consistently funny.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

goatface posted:

Well, he is dyslexic, so there is that.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

LE0N posted:

I dont see why it was hated so much? It's pretty funny all round and goons have absolutely adored worse.

I think the pilot was so so and the first episode somewhat weak.

The advertising campaign was/is quite bad and focused on the "chav" characters and made them look annoying rather than funny, it didn't help that the first episode also featured two additional "chav" characters who were annoying.

Remember most of this thread call Gavin and Stacey poo poo despite never watching it because of the type of people who raved about it (Catherine Tate fans) or the other work the people in it did (all toss pretty much), I've yet to encounter someone who watched the first series and not fallen in love with it.

I can see phoneshop becoming a big success for channel 4.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I don't see the hate for Gavin and Stacey. It is okay to watch.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
The American Shameless, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.sho.com/site/shameless/home.do

I'm not sure.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Do we have to do equally awful adaptions of American TV to get the message across now?

How can we make a terrible British version of Breaking Bad or The Wire?

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
^^^^ I remember our terrible version of the 70s Show (an already terrible show though so maybe it was just a failure to fix something rather than us breaking it), a lot of US remakes I don't have much of a problem with because when you look at it a huge amount of our comedy has jokes that the foreigners wouldn't get (I just spent half an hour last night trying to explain the rivalry and stereotypes between the North and South to a Dutch girl, and let's face it regionalism accounts for 20% of our humour, thank god it wasn't our take on the Class system)

lazyjane posted:

The American Shameless, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.sho.com/site/shameless/home.do

I'm not sure.

It looks too poorly done, the acting is pretty weak all round and the social deprivation that really makes the UK version doesn't seem to be there/seems to be half-hearted.

They also seem to be using the style of the later series where it is more of a silly comedy rather than the early series where it was more of a drama and Frank rather than being this loveable rogue he is now was a villainous, abusive, and almost sinister figure.

I'm not opposed to the concept of American remakes and I feel that a well done show set in a blue-collar american community could be fantastic and potentially eclipse the original, this however I doubt will get another series.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't see the hate for Gavin and Stacey. It is okay to watch.
yeah, I think it's alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The Perfect Element posted:

He did struggle at points, but I think in general he did a pretty good job. His banter with the others was consistently funny.

He's funny, but his voice is an atrocity.