Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Splizwarf posted:

What about installing a petcock oil pan plug replacement? They make em with a nipple so you can attach hose, too.

That's loving brilliant. I didn't even know those existed. Thanks a bunch, ordering now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010
How do those things hold up to adverse weather? My current winter beater is a stock s10 blazer 4x4 with lovely compact-truck clearance. I'm a tad paranoid from last year's 2x @ 24" snowfall and was close to bottoming out several times during the events. The last thing I want is to have them snap off in stupid weather doing stupid stuff like making the liquor store a priority instead of just staying home and weathering the DT's....

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I think I'm gonna market this to lonely DIY-ers. It's usually easier to just wedge this between the pedal and the floor rail than to find an extra foot. :unsmith:

edit: that's what I get for posting from a phone.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 19, 2010

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

That's quite the large image you have there. Here let me show you how to do it better next time. This is a clamp I made for my drill press. The handle has an eccentric that pivots the plate to facilitate clamping.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Thats so much more complicated than soft jaws. Whats that for?

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

It goes around the column of my drill press and swivels about freely on the column. I put the end of it on the part to be drilled, crank the table up a bit to take up the play, then rotate the handle. The eccentric pivots the jaw against the work, locking it in place. To release, you simply flick the handle back the other way.

I copied it from a clamp on a drill press in our shop at work. It speeds some things up like you wouldn't believe.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Say what you want about Jesse James... this would still be one hell of a toolbox to have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110600863626&

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

meatpimp posted:

Say what you want about Jesse James... this would still be one hell of a toolbox to have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110600863626&

Wow I can't imagine how long it took to do that pinstriping, or how much he would have charged a normal person.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Wow I can't imagine how long it took to do that pinstriping, or how much he would have charged a normal person.

I'm kind of impressed by the $20k that toolbox runs at full retail.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Looks like there's an awful lot of drug paraphernalia there...

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Speaking of tool boxes, how is the Kennedy brand?

Recently my friend's father passed away. He was a career machinist and my friend now has all his tools and boxes. I'm not looking to cash in on my friend's tragedy, my friend is a calibration tech, so he'll end up using all his dad's tools. I was just impressed by the quality of the boxes when he showed them to me. I've worked out of Craftsman, Snap-On and Matco boxes. They all seemed about equal, and all were blown away by the still tight drawers of a probably 1960's Kennedy set. Plus, I loved the wrinkled brown powder coat, no need to polish.

I looked through Kennedy's catalog and found a 29" roller and two different chests that I like. I googled to find prices, and the pair comes out at $1100-$1200 with ball bearing slides. Are Kennedy boxes good anymore, or should I just go get some Craftsman boxes during the post Christmas sale?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Skyssx posted:

I looked through Kennedy's catalog and found a 29" roller and two different chests that I like. I googled to find prices, and the pair comes out at $1100-$1200 with ball bearing slides. Are Kennedy boxes good anymore, or should I just go get some Craftsman boxes during the post Christmas sale?

I'm curious about this too, my dad has a 1970s Kennedy machinist chest that still feels nicer than any other box I've used. If their build quality is still that good I definitely want to buy one when I upgrade to a larger chest.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Skyssx posted:

No matter how awesome a toolbox may be, is it really worth paying that much more for it than for something from harbor freight or home depot that may rattle and squeak a bit, but organize your tools just as well?

Are they really that nice?

grover fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 30, 2010

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

grover posted:

No matter how awesome a toolbox may be, is it really worth paying that much more for it than for something from harbor freight or home depot that may rattle and squeak a bit, but organize your tools just as well?

Are they really that nice?

When it comes to supporting the weight of the tools, quality becomes important.

Cheap boxes that slide like poo poo when empty loving suck when full. *slide*bind*slide*bind*

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

mod sassinator posted:

He's blowing out a lot of good equipment for good prices if you got the cash laying around.

Our desert race team picked up his Monster Garage Baja Trophy truck, the owner is rebuilding it now with a new cage, engine and chassis and is flipping the old chassis. We're keeping the crazy paint scheme.

As for the big tool boxes, it's pretty crazy to see techs spend 3-10k on them. I guess they get lured in by the tool truck financing. On the other hand I wouldn't bind buying a nice tool box. I've seen a few deals with loaded tool chests going around with all snap on tools, still expensive but much cheaper then buying new.

Came across this the other day, seems handy...

http://www.formafunnel.com/

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"

Got this oil suction pump for under $10 from harbor freight. Sealed reasonably well and made filling the gear oil in my Camaro's T-5 simple. Looks like it may come in handy for the rear diff as well.

Also got this grease gun. Having never used one before, I have nothing to compare to but it seems to work well enough for greasing my front suspension.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Sockington posted:

When it comes to supporting the weight of the tools, quality becomes important.

Cheap boxes that slide like poo poo when empty loving suck when full. *slide*bind*slide*bind*
I've been pretty happy with my dirt-cheap toolbox, with no binding or anything, despite cramming it full of tools because I have way more tools than toolbox. I can see how a lovely toolbox would turn you off cheap stuff pretty quickly, I hope my luck holds out on this one...

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
When you're in and out of the drawers constantly it's nice to have rollers that slide easily and don't bind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You can buy bearing drawer slides at DIY stores and fit them to a cheapo toolchest yourself, should the whim take you.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Hi guys, I just sorta finished my belt grinder!

Click here for the full 992x744 image.

It is based on the KMG belt grinder. The awesome thing is there is a huge amount of options I have for attachments and stuff and I plan to make all of them especially the rotary platen.

A lot of it is quick and dirty but I will pretty it up(nice tooling arm lock handle, tracking adjustment knob) as time permits. It uses a 2x72 inch belt. The motor is an old pump motor that makes 3/4hp and turns 3450 rpm.

The pulleys have adjustable sheaves allowing me to change speed some more. I want to eventually use the 2hp 3 phase motor seen in some of the pics powered by a VFD.

Next thing is gonna be a steel platen and work rest for this attachment. The bar that the aluminum plate is mounted on slides out and another bar w/ diff attachment can quickly slide into its place.

More pics!

The tensioner wheel is Delrin. It is made of a hinge and a 3/8 bolt threads in from the other side to push the hinge up or let it down in order to adjust tracking. The drive and 2 idler wheels in front are aluminum. It is very loud and rattly. I plan on making a base and maybe mounting all the components on little strips of rubber. I dunno if that will work but it should help. It's also all made from scrap so it has cost me nothing but my time.

Chauncey fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 31, 2010

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
FYI for us saps that don't own a huge gently caress off compressor, this thing http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-electric-impact-wrench-45252.html is well worth the money especially if you use the 20% off. It broke free old bolts on my 325i that would have strained my back on. It is also handy if you have an invertor in your vehicle.... especially if you get a company van with a 2000 watt one.. shh..

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

FYI for us saps that don't own a huge gently caress off compressor, this thing http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-electric-impact-wrench-45252.html is well worth the money especially if you use the 20% off. It broke free old bolts on my 325i that would have strained my back on. It is also handy if you have an invertor in your vehicle.... especially if you get a company van with a 2000 watt one.. shh..

I own this product and heartily endorse this statement. The single downside to the unit is it's kinda big so it's hard to use under a car without jacking it up. Bought mine for exhaust work, best $40 I've spent on tools in a while. :razz:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Can it remove and retorque lug nuts? My air compressor leaks and is annoying as hell and my impact sucks anyway. Would it be worth it for that?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

AnomalousBoners posted:

Can it remove and retorque lug nuts? My air compressor leaks and is annoying as hell and my impact sucks anyway. Would it be worth it for that?

I bought one just so I could remove wheels faster and while the car is jacked up, it's worth it just for that. I would recommend the $10 HF 1/2 inch torque wrench for torquing lug nuts though, I've had one for 3 years and it's still accurate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I also own one and have given two as gifts. I haven't touched my compressor impact (or really any of my air tools) since I got it.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

GearWrench ratcheting wrenches are cheap right now at advance auto, 5 piece set for 14.99. They feel like pretty good quality for the price & are made by danaher tool group.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...1125#fragment-3

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
That Form-A-Funnel looks neat but it is forty US American bucks.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Does anyone know where I can find a small round carbide rasp that will fit a dremel type tool? We don't have a compressor at work and the only rasps I've seen, the shanks are too big to fit, and probably they're too heavy to work safely in one anyway. The only grinding poo poo I've found for dremels have been the ummm.. Sharpening stone type material whatever its actually called.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Go to mscdirect.com and look for carbide burrs with the shank size that you have dremel collets for.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Chauncey posted:

Hi guys, I just sorta finished my belt grinder!

It is based on the KMG belt grinder. The awesome thing is there is a huge amount of options I have for attachments and stuff and I plan to make all of them especially the rotary platen.

Man that is awesome. Are you going to make knives? Beautiful welds.

Please post this in the DIY blacksmith/metal thread :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Aceshighxxx posted:

GearWrench ratcheting wrenches are cheap right now at advance auto, 5 piece set for 14.99. They feel like pretty good quality for the price & are made by danaher tool group.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...1125#fragment-3

I also own this product and heartily endorse this statement. :razz:

However, I went for the fullest set I could get on Amazon, 8mm to 19mm, and with the locking heads. Tilting Gearwrenches are a lot more balls if you can't lock 'em, and if they don't tilt they're a lot less useful. Good price for those, though. I wish they'd make 6-point ones.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

Skyssx posted:

Speaking of tool boxes, how is the Kennedy brand?

Recently my friend's father passed away. He was a career machinist and my friend now has all his tools and boxes. I'm not looking to cash in on my friend's tragedy, my friend is a calibration tech, so he'll end up using all his dad's tools. I was just impressed by the quality of the boxes when he showed them to me. I've worked out of Craftsman, Snap-On and Matco boxes. They all seemed about equal, and all were blown away by the still tight drawers of a probably 1960's Kennedy set. Plus, I loved the wrinkled brown powder coat, no need to polish.

As a Machinist with a Kennedy Chest, I must say, yes!! I have the 526 model, 9-drawer top chest, absolutely beautiful and wonderful quality. Now I'm looking at upgrading my Mastercraft (ie. same as Craftsman) roller to a Kennedy, priced out at $900.

You may think the extra cost is outrageous when there's cheap brands out there for 1/4 of the price, but they're actually priced relatively cheaply. Look at the next step up, and you'll quickly realize that you'd be spending 2x as much.

For toolboxes there's 4 tiers. First is the cheaper, utilitarian makes ie. found out of Sears and Home Depot (Say $250-$500 for roller & chest). Then you have Kennedy (Around $1100-$1500 for roller & chest), then the third is closer to $2000-$4000 for roller & chest depending on manufacturer. Then with the last tier you have the really ridiculously priced models that creep over and above 5-figures.

Honestly, I've seen most makes of toolbox, and when it comes to value for money, Kennedy is superb. They're not just tools to last your lifetime, they are heirlooms passed down through the generations, and are still made with incredible quality to this day.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
DMC uses Kennedy tool chests to supply their tool kits to the military.

For example
http://www.dmctools.com/assets/dmc314mod1_sl.pdf

Pretty much everything there is on the high end of quality and value.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

tesko.pk posted:

For toolboxes there's 4 tiers. First is the cheaper, utilitarian makes ie. found out of Sears and Home Depot (Say $250-$500 for roller & chest). Then you have Kennedy (Around $1100-$1500 for roller & chest), then the third is closer to $2000-$4000 for roller & chest depending on manufacturer. Then with the last tier you have the really ridiculously priced models that creep over and above 5-figures.
If the big advantage of the Kennedy-quality boxes over the cheap ones is they don't bind and last a long time... and that's really the only thing "wrong" with the cheap ones... what are you getting for $10k for the rolls royce boxes that you aren't getting for $1500 in a Kennedy?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
For one, the ability to make payments you will default on when you're fired.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
For two, the ability to sell the box on craigslist for $3000 before you default on the payments.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Elephanthead posted:

For two, the ability to sell the box on craigslist for $3000 before you default on the payments.

Yeah, I was about to mention if you work at a shop/service center with lots of techs working, the local tool truck will give you EZ-credit to buy overpriced tool boxes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geared Hub posted:

Yeah, I was about to mention if you work at a shop/service center with lots of techs working, the local tool truck will give you EZ-credit to buy overpriced tool boxes.
Sell someone a big enough toolchest, and they won't be able to run away with it if they can't afford the payments.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
v0v even my tiny shop with two techs gets Matco and Snap-On alternating weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

Sure, but who actually buys those things on craigs?

I'm looking in the tools classifieds from time to time and there is always a couple of "complete starter set with box" or just "expensive top-end box" with four figure price tags and they seem to be listed forever. They often suffer from lovely descriptions like "everything you need, text me only, no lowballers" or 99% of the original price asked, but those are fairly common problems in general.

Are there actually people out there with five grand in cash breathlessly waiting for these?