Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

GoldenSeraph posted:

how come whenever I see a majestic lego creation I get this inkling to HULK SMASH the ever-loving poo poo out of it? :(

Because you are a BAD MAN and are not invited to my house :mad:

Dammit why do I keep getting snipes with nothing good to add :jerkbag:
Here's something cool to make up for it, though it may have been posted before:

Click here for the full 854x1139 image.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=438618

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Sainsburys (big supermarket chain in the UK) have been doing half price on all their toys in store recently, and I managed to grab some decent Lego bargains. The store near me only has a small toy section, but I knew they usually had some Lego in stock and I ended up getting:
Shave A Sheep and UFO Attack games for £4 each
Two Police helicopters (7741) for £5 each
An Offroad Fire Rescue truck (7942) for £5
and a small City Fire car (7241) for £2.50
That was basically one of everything they had (well, two helicopters), bar the Police motorbike and a Star Wars IG Assassin droid battle pack (which both seemed a bit dull). Will be great for some Christmas (and upcoming birthday) presents for young relatives.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

GoldenSeraph posted:

how come whenever I see a majestic lego creation I get this inkling to HULK SMASH the ever-loving poo poo out of it? :(

You were one of those kids, weren't you? My childhood friend had the Test Car and the neighborhood Moes enjoyed snapping the big beams when they visited :(

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Happy Halloween everybody!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is there an anti-aliasing option? :gonk:

If not you could always try forcing it from the graphics card control panel.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
LDD Red Dwarf.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Minifig. loving. Crowbar.

And some new dog and new backpack, too, but who cares about those?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

After three weeks of waiting on a slow, slow Bricklink seller, I finally got enough pieces to mostly finish this guy. The slow seller even screwed up my order, sending me a 6x16 plate instead of a 6x14 like I ordered, but it was close enough to put the set together. Also, I used the modern 2/3 tongue yellow hinges on the rocket, because gently caress paying $4-$5 a pop for the old-school 1/2 tongue hinges :mad:

Also, this is a repeat but totally worth it, the best remake of this set ever:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

^^^^^
I think you mean the best remake of any set, ever

I'm a little disappointed that older pieces didn't make it in to the LDD update, even though they exist in Lego Universe, like the flat hinges.

I've only got a few more sets to put together from my craigslist haul, and assembly is a bit frustrating. The pieces missing from the sets aren't very consistent--minifig accessories, computer tiles, 1x1 cones, 2x2 dishes, whip antennas, common structural elements. Already have 6 pages of notebook paper worth of parts I'm missing.
Most of the sets are already partially assembled, but sometimes they're assembled wrong from the instructions or using incorrect colors. Found nearly a dozen minifig control sticks put pretty much wherever the previous owner thought was good.

Also have 3 sets of instructions from even older, 80s-era sets, but they're not actually in the box. :(

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I made another spaceship! I think this one's my favorite, if only because I'd spent so long trying to create the sphere part and finding a good design for the rest of the ship to go with it. Can't see anything to do about anti-aliasing, oh well.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Flavor Bear posted:

Minifig. loving. Crowbar.

And some new dog and new backpack, too, but who cares about those?

Where's you find the pics?

e: Nevermind, found them on Brickshelf.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Where's you find the pics?

They're on the Toys'R'Us website. They have several new city sets, none of which are shown as shipping yet, but although they're supposed to be 2011 sets it looks as though they might be released for Christmas.

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt
Celebrated finding the series 2 figs by picking up Monster 4 and throwing a quick Blacktron themed monster party!

More pumpkin head supremacy!

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

I worked some more on my Japanese sand garden and added an arch and a dojo.

Click here for the full 1450x791 image.

Coder
Nov 15, 2004

Jusupov posted:

If not you could always try forcing it from the graphics card control panel.
Or you can just render it bigger and scale it down.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Hail goonsires, Do you have the right stuff?
Do you Love lego prizes? Do you like cash money?

Are you a whiz on the Lego Dgitial Desginer?
http://ldd.lego.com/download/

Well dust off those MOC skills and win my design prizes.

Maybe you arn't a LDD pro but you know how to get legos cheap?

Then you should enter my logisitcs comeptitions.

I am setting forward a series of constests to design lego kits for several
Minifig scale models.

All of these models will need to interface together, so how you create these
interfaces will reflect greatly on your ability to win the prizes.

I encourage team work so you can work together to win a prize and split it
how you see fit.

Each model will have 2 prizes associated with it.

1. The design and instructions contest. This is where you create minifig scale
representation of the specified design compelte with "instructions created via screenshots
into .pdfs via LDD.

2. the Logisitics contest. You job to take the above approved designs and to source the legos
You can use any combination of website or existing sets and suggest alterations to the designs
where going to a 1x4 brick vs a pair of 2x2's are called for.

Depending on the success of the first round of the contest I will sponser additional rounds.

Some of these will be rather large models some smaller the prizes will be calculated based on
final part counts and ideally would look something like federal minimum wage for the effort
you put out. We will see.

As it stand right now my rough order for the designs will be

1. SpaceX falcon 9 rocket with payload fairing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_9
2. Spacex Dragon crew/cargo capsule/ compatible with the above design.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_Dragon
3. Space ship 2 with Eve mothership.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceShipTwo
4. Bigelow BA-300 with SpaceBus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BA_330
5. Double contest Masten space and Aramdillo aerospace VTVL rockets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo_Aerospace
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masten_Space_Systems
6. Whatever big dumb Shuttle/ARES frankestien rocket NASA designs.
No links yet.

There are ofcourse lots more things I can think of to be modeled but this is a good selection across the space industry right now. Each of these designs will probably get you 15 minutes of fame on the various newspace sites as well. NASA is last because we have no idea what this design will be.

Right now I am looking for feedback on this idea and once I am satisfied I will post the first official contest sometime this week I hope.

Questions? Thoughts?
Contact me via PM or aim Kingfisherb90 !

KingFisher fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 3, 2010

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

There are plenty of talented LDD users in this thread so you should get lots of interest. I may even take a stab at it if I get bored at work.

As for me, not much new except more sorting. I got through about half my unopened sets over the weekend and bought more shelves:

Of course this isn't very dignified for my own models, but its progress :shobon:

Edit because 'my own my own creations' is retarded.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 2, 2010

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We decided to do Christmas a bit early this year. Sometimes this hobby makes Warhammer look cheap.

A ton of dark green for another tank (mostly 1x3 and 1x6 bricks, a ton of 2x3 left and right wedges and so many 4x6 and 1x8 plates, making it hard to build with but I'm making due until I get more) that Indiana Jones set I'll eventually cannibalize for half tracks and such and hydraulics and power functions stuff for my wife.

If any of you are in the GTA you really need to check out Lasting Toys in Mississauga. They don't just sell sets, they also have a lot of this stuff and it usually works out to be around the same price as buying off of bricklink and having it shipped.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

KingFisher posted:

:pwn:

Maybe if you proofread and format the details of the contest better I'd actually be able to understand the rules and then participate, because from what I can make of it, it sounds fun :)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I added some photos of my sorting system to the LEGOons facebook group.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of LDD, I'm trying to play around with the software in hopes of reverse engineering some of the more difficult models. But I'm not finding many LDD files out there except on LEGO's website, which are relatively simple. Do people not usually post their LDD files on MOCpages and other sites?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Krispy Kareem posted:

Do people not usually post their LDD files on MOCpages and other sites?

No, and for the same reason most people don't usually post instructions to their builds. I understand the need for inspiration, but there are people within the community (not that I'm implying you're one of them :) ) who just steal creations whole cloth, and a lot of people want to avoid that sort of thing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

No, and for the same reason most people don't usually post instructions to their builds. I understand the need for inspiration, but there are people within the community (not that I'm implying you're one of them :) ) who just steal creations whole cloth, and a lot of people want to avoid that sort of thing.

It just seems odd on the digital side not to post it. I can see someone guarding their IP with a real life build though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

3 posted:

Maybe if you proofread and format the details of the contest better I'd actually be able to understand the rules and then participate, because from what I can make of it, it sounds fun :)

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what the contest entrants are being asked to build. Could you be more clear, KingFisher? This sounds fun.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Krispy Kareem posted:

It just seems odd on the digital side not to post it. I can see someone guarding their IP with a real life build though.

Same thing, really. I build almost exclusively in LDD, so I guard my creations about as zealously as someone with a "real" build because I've put about as much effort and thought into the creation as they have.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I like to at least give tips or exploded views when it's practical, but honestly I prefer to not make instructions myself. I did make instructions for my version of a Gekko, and while it's cool that others have made their own based on my idea, I kinda feel that it stifles creativity. I've always felt that there is more than one way to execute an idea, and I hate for people to think my way is the 'official way', when their ideas could easily be better than mine. I think the same logic applies to LDD files even moreso, since copy+paste takes even less thought.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

3 posted:

Hey if you want to help me work on formatting and such I am down, I write how I speak and if you give it a street corner salesman sort of cadence it works... in my head.

TL:DR I give you money and legos to design me new-space MOC's in LDD.

KingFisher fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 3, 2010

ppyy
Nov 5, 2005

Sloppy posted:

Also, this is a repeat but totally worth it, the best remake of this set ever:

Did this come from a series of photos? Are there any more old space remakes like this? link?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This thread + day off work = God drat Goons :argh:

and this one for my day off next week.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

InfinEight posted:

I like to at least give tips or exploded views when it's practical, but honestly I prefer to not make instructions myself. I did make instructions for my version of a Gekko, and while it's cool that others have made their own based on my idea, I kinda feel that it stifles creativity. I've always felt that there is more than one way to execute an idea, and I hate for people to think my way is the 'official way', when their ideas could easily be better than mine. I think the same logic applies to LDD files even moreso, since copy+paste takes even less thought.
Man I saw "Gekko" and I thought you'd made an awesome InfinEight-ized version of the Gekko-Go :(

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Reetz posted:

Did this come from a series of photos? Are there any more old space remakes like this? link?

They did a celebration of 30 years of Classic Space on Neo Classic Space a while back. Here's the link. Lots of good stuff there.

http://www.neoclassicspace.com/

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Mmm, frogs.

http://gizmodo.com/5679042/super-accurate-lego-frog-dissection-is-perfect-for-the-squeamish

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Man I saw "Gekko" and I thought you'd made an awesome InfinEight-ized version of the Gekko-Go :(

Heh, I don't think I have space for a 10 foot wingspan to make it properly. Though I've got some nice lime green pieces that could help with a micro-scale one...

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

I just thought you were talking about Michael Douglas. V:shobon:V

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But Infineight is the Lego spaceship dude, not the Lego hollywood actor dude. :v:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Hey, I dabble in other things! Like fuel trucks:

So a lego Michael Douglas could be right around the corner.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

To-scale aircraft carrier made of LEGOs, 23 feet long, over 500 lbs.

:monocle:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
That is pants-cummingly awesome.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

To-scale aircraft carrier made of LEGOs, 23 feet long, over 500 lbs.

Not to ruin your great find or anything, but the Intrepid's been old news for a while. Diment's just really good at making minifig-scale naval vessels. Check out his HMS Hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I figured it was "news" since the news post I was linking to was from today, and I saw no mention of it on the last several pages in this thread. :saddowns: