Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Delrith Ur posted:

I played the everloving poo poo out of the TES series and loved them, though Morrowind (which I think is superior to Oblivion on the roleplaying end of things) had abysmal combat. Still loved it though. Gothic had it's moments but is so goddamn broken, and isn't Two World's universally thought of as being an abysmal Oblivion clone? I've only heard bad things about it. Videos on Youtube don't make it seem to appealing.

I haven't tried Two Worlds myself, because it doesn't seem like my cup of tea. :v: But I know a lot of people in the "games should be about FUN and doing stupid poo poo!"-crowd prefer it over Oblivion. It's broken, the story is poo poo, but it's fun is basically their argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Delrith Ur posted:

It appears to be a bit stiff and automated and not very maneuverable, and that always disappoints me because it always makes me feel like there's a disconnect between the character and myself. Obviously I'm not expecting there to be a deep and fulfilling RPG with a God of War combat model (dear god somebody please make this), but even the more simplistic yet tighter feeling of control like Fable which essentially amounts to pressing left quick to swing my sword and jumping and dodging attacks or Jedi Outcast's retarded simple lightsaber swinging are more akin to what I am looking for.

Ummm, actually no - it is browler style - much more then usual RPG's. I don't know where you get the notion that it's not - maybe from the fact that it has a specific combo system - where you have to click with proper timing to create a chain. You also have different stances like in Jedi Outcast. You can also dodge enemy attacks and you move your character with WSAD so this could still be your cup of tea. Still combat is not as interactive as Jedi Outcast - I'll give you that. I don't remember how it compares to Fable.

From what you're saying one thing could be a big selling point for this game: decisions. Yes, decisions matter in this game and they actually put Bioware's devine angel/hitler evil morals system to shame. You will have to use your gut feeling, often choose a lesser evil and those decisions will bite you and come back to hunt you. They WILL have a big impact on your quests. Your future quests WILL be influenced by your past choices - even those seemingly unimportant. I can't stress this enough - I think this game allows for the biggest impact of player choices on the story from all the "big" RPG's.

It also has an interesting and unique lore - this is why you have to play this one chosen character without much "looks" customization. It's based on an amazing fantasy book series which unfortunately wasn't translated that good from Polish. It's like Planescape Torment in this regard - controlling any character other than "The Nameless One" wouldn't have much sense, if you know what I mean.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Palpek posted:

Ummm, actually no - it is browler style - much more then usual RPG's. I don't know where you get the notion that it's not - maybe from the fact that it has a specific combo system - where you have to click with proper timing to create a chain. You also have different stances like in Jedi Outcast. You can also dodge enemy attacks and you move your character with WSAD so this could still be your cup of tea. Still combat is not as interactive as Jedi Outcast - I'll give you that. I don't remember how it compares to Fable.

I think you're overselling this. At its core, The Witcher is a point and click RPG with shallow combat where 90% of what you'll be doing is just left clicking with the proper timing and not worrying about anything else. This is fundamentally completely different from something like Demon's Souls.

I love The Witcher, but its combat is definitely its weak point.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Brace posted:

Still looking for a game that's anything like:

Baldur's Gate 2:Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath:Return to Arms

The term you're looking for is "Diablo clone".

If it's on PC instead of PS2, then check out Titan Quest and Torchlight, possibly also Sacred 2 though I personallu found it annoying.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

pigdog posted:

The term you're looking for is "Diablo clone".

If it's on PC instead of PS2, then check out Titan Quest and Torchlight, possibly also Sacred 2 though I personallu found it annoying.

Played all 3. I wouldn't say those two are diablo clones as much as say titan quest though. They definitely have a more unique feel to them

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Looking for a single character RPG with good, tactical combat. I've played the witcher and while the writing was good, the combat and character progression didn't exactly grip me. I've seen threads on Risen and Divinity 2 pop up occasionally here, are they decent enough to look into?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Edit: ^^^Risen is pretty decent - it's the actual Gothic 4, so if you played Gothic you know what to expect. On the other hand I would rather put a perfectly round, ideally flat piece of poo poo into my DVD drive than a Divinity 2 disc - trust me on this one.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think you're overselling this. At its core, The Witcher is a point and click RPG with shallow combat where 90% of what you'll be doing is just left clicking with the proper timing and not worrying about anything else. This is fundamentally completely different from something like Demon's Souls.

I love The Witcher, but its combat is definitely its weak point.

Ok, I guess you're right. I also played it long time ago so my perception of combat can be blurred by other titles. I just had the impression it was more Gothic-style than Diablo-style. I don't mind non-interactive combat in RPG's too so maybe that's why I don't remember it that well V :) V

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 1, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pikey posted:

Looking for a single character RPG with good, tactical combat. I've played the witcher and while the writing was good, the combat and character progression didn't exactly grip me. I've seen threads on Risen and Divinity 2 pop up occasionally here, are they decent enough to look into?

How about the Fallout games? You CAN get companions, but they're usually fairly weak and dirt stupid and the whole game can and should be played with one character. They're also really tactical and fun. Fallout 1 and 2 are cheap and on https://www.gog.com.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Delrith Ur posted:

Well, that does look pretty badass. How are the other RPG mechanics? is the world big and sprawling? Can I buy a house or become infamous for stealing everything that isn't nailed down? Can I hire dudes to fight with me? what kind of RPG stuff do I get besides the skill system (which looks awesome)?

edit: Nevermind. The Witcher doesn't really seem to be what I'm looking for. While I'll probably end up picking it up at some point because I'm really intrigued by the skills and alchemy system, the combat doesn't look like what I'm trying to find. While it's not as point > click as Dragon Age, it's definitely not really in the brawler style. It appears to be a bit stiff and automated and not very maneuverable, and that always disappoints me because it always makes me feel like there's a disconnect between the character and myself. Obviously I'm not expecting there to be a deep and fulfilling RPG with a God of War combat model (dear god somebody please make this), but even the more simplistic yet tighter feeling of control like Fable which essentially amounts to pressing left quick to swing my sword and jumping and dodging attacks or Jedi Outcast's retarded simple lightsaber swinging are more akin to what I am looking for.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "brawler" style, and I might be misunderstanding you here, but that simplistic yet tighter feeling combat you mention is exactly what The Witcher has. You click for an initial attack, then watch the cursor change to a flame or a lightning bolt or something and then click again for a follow-up attack. You've got to get the timing down for a proper follow-up, but you'll have it down after a fight or three. As you progress and level up you get more follow-up attacks, until you perfect a fighting style and get a finishing move. But it still amounts to moving and dodging and jumping around, then clicking to attack. Simple and tight, yet expandable, so to speak.

To answer your other questions, the world is indeed big and sprawling, I don't think you can buy a house (your character's profession in the game isn't really the house-buying type) but you can become infamous for a number of reasons. No hirelings (again, a Witcher is a loner by necessity), but other RPG stuffs include the alchemy system which is awesome, a magic system (the "Signs") that's not terribly in-depth but very satisfying for a combat oriented RPG, multiple approaches to just about every situation you come across (which lead to different follow-up situations and, ultimately, endings), and bagging dames left and right.

Fake edit: Forgot about the multiple stances that Palpek mentioned, these become important as you fight different foes (sometimes all at once).

I really hope you give it a try, because I really think it's what you ARE looking for, or at least very very close. You say you don't like this and you don't like that, but I think I speak for all of us who are recommending it to you that no, you're not quite getting the real ins and outs about this and that and dude, seriously, just play it. An hour into it and you wont mind not being able to change your look or buy a house, you'll have so much else to consider. And even then it's never overwhelming, there's a sortable journal system that keeps track of your quests for you.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Witcher owns but the combat is just click-click-click (use your magic power of choice) click-click-click. The combat is uninteresting and the game is great in spite of that. The sequel looks to be revamping that though and adding in some more Arkham Asylum style brawling.

Delrith Ur
Apr 26, 2006

by angerbeet

Tender Bender posted:

The Witcher owns but the combat is just click-click-click (use your magic power of choice) click-click-click. The combat is uninteresting and the game is great in spite of that. The sequel looks to be revamping that though and adding in some more Arkham Asylum style brawling.

That is essentially what I want. Flashy brawler combat where I repeatedly mash somebody's face in while not sacrificing agility and mobility because I'm really just auto attacking,

Lazlow, like I already said, the combat definitely seems to be less point and click than something like Dragon Age or Baldur's Gate, but it isn't quite what I'm looking for. Since it's based off the Neverwinter Nights engine, I'm assuming it at least controls somewhat similar and has similar limitations. I'm definitely interested in the Witcher, it's just not what I'm in the mood for at the moment.

essentially: Is there a game out there that feels like Ocarina of Time or Darksiders that gives me the option of customizing my character and has some quests?

Delrith Ur fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 1, 2010

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Pikey posted:

Risen has a combat system that is quite different from anything else. It kinda looks like hack-n-slash, but prepared to be raped by boars over and over until you figure out it's all about timing.

Divinity 2 is a lot of fun, as long as you don't try to play a melee character.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brace posted:

Still looking for a game that's anything like:

Baldur's Gate 2:Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath:Return to Arms

Check out all the Activision Marvel games which almost feel like they're built on the same engine. I enjoyed The Bard's Tale (2004 version) as it was kind of funny and and felt like it had better level design than the twisty caverns of Dark Alliance or Champions. Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes is another one of those top-down brawlers (kind of like Gauntlet) but it's meant for at least two players or you'll have zero fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Check out Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean for Gamecube. It's a fun, challenging JRPG with a CCG-inspired battle system and a customizable deck for each party member. Some fun and strange gimmicks like mid-battle item crafting (by combining cards) and cards that age and change effect with the game clock (bananas ripen and then rot, bread becomes beer).

I wouldn't recommend Baten Kaitos Origins as they removed a lot of the complexity and strategy and made it more reflex-oriented.

This is an old reply, but there's also Culdcept Saga to consider. It's a CCG-meets-Monopoly. You take control of property by summoning monsters onto them and take over property by having them fight. It's really not a half bad game. For something more action-oriented, there's Lost Kingdoms 2 for the Gamecube.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I'm looking for a party-based (S)RPG with tactical turn-based combat. Games that fit that bill (more or less) that I've already played/don't want to play are: Tactics Ogre series, Final Fantasy Tactics series, Fire Emblem series, Vandal Hearts, Disgaea, Sayuki, Shining Force series, Bahamit Lagoon, HoMM series, Fallout 1&2, any squad-based game such as X-Com, Fallout Tactics, Silent Storm etc. where you can only see as much as your characters.

I'd prefer PC games, but I'll also take any console title that isn't violently Japanese or mostly populated by eight year olds in skimpy clothing (see Disgaea).

I thought Eternal Dagger or Demon's Winter by ISS might be what I'm looking for, though I've also read that they're basically predecessors to the Gold Box games, in which case I'm not interested. I know nothing about D&D rules and learning those while also getting used to a crappy interface seems a little too annoying. So what I want to know is whether Eternal Dagger and Demon's Winter are really that similar to the Gold Box games or if I'm wrong about those (the Gold Box games) and should give them another chance.

Myron fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 1, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Steam has all the Overlord games for $7.

Yay or nay?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Myron posted:

I'm looking for a party-based (S)RPG with tactical turn-based combat. Games that fit that bill (more or less) that I've already played/don't want to play are: Tactics Ogre series, Final Fantasy Tactics series, Fire Emblem series, Vandal Hearts, Disgaea, Sayuki, Shining Force series, Bahamit Lagoon, HoMM series, Fallout 1&2, any squad-based game such as X-Com, Fallout Tactics, Silent Storm etc. where you can only see as much as your characters.
The new King's Bounty series should be right up your alley.

Delrith Ur
Apr 26, 2006

by angerbeet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yay or nay?

Yay if you like humor, minions, a little hackin and slashin and the whole morality aspect in games. They're fun games, and for $7 they're a steal

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Myron posted:

I'd prefer PC games, but I'll also take any console title that isn't violently Japanese or mostly populated by eight year olds in skimpy clothing (see Disgaea).

I thought Eternal Dagger or Demon's Winter by ISS might be what I'm looking for, though I've also read that they're basically predecessors to the Gold Box games, in which case I'm not interested. I know nothing about D&D rules and learning those while also getting used to a crappy interface seems a little too annoying. So what I want to know is whether Eternal Dagger and Demon's Winter are really that similar to the Gold Box games or if I'm wrong about those (the Gold Box games) and should give them another chance.

Temple of Elemental Evil is on GOG now for 6 bucks and that would seem to fit the bill, it was highly lauded for its porting of the DnD 3.5E rules. Knights of the Chalice may also appeal to you.

You mentioned a few games that sound like PSP games so you may want to check out Jeanne of Arc which is a pretty fun JSRPG that doesn't involve scantily-clad 8 year olds, so that's a plus.

There are a few PS3/XBOX SRPG's such as Record of Argharest Wars but I think those maybe be a bit _too_ Japenese (there's romance elements and such I believe).

You could also try one of the many X-COM successors, none of which are nearly as good as the first X-COM but can still be fun. I think UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold is the last in this string of games? I played some of the UFO: After* series and they were all right.

I don't see Jagged Alliance on your list so you may want to check out JA2 or one of the Russian JA-wannabes like 7.62mm.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yay or nay?

It depends on what you want. I bought the game thinking I could be an evil character in an RPG for once and make good people's lives miserable. Turns out you're still a good guy by comparrison to the rest of the game universe and you end up fighting against a force that's even more evil than you, making the player, yet again, the good guy.

Overlord is a lighthearted, linear RPG. If that's what you want, you should be alright. If you want a Sauron simulator, look elsewhere.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

Temple of Elemental Evil is on GOG now for 6 bucks and that would seem to fit the bill, it was highly lauded for its porting of the DnD 3.5E rules. Knights of the Chalice may also appeal to you.

I remember that ToEE got fairly mixed reviews, but it seems that the combat is its strongest point, so I'll look into that, thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

It depends on what you want. I bought the game thinking I could be an evil character in an RPG for once and make good people's lives miserable. Turns out you're still a good guy by comparrison to the rest of the game universe and you end up fighting against a force that's even more evil than you, making the player, yet again, the good guy.

Overlord is a lighthearted, linear RPG. If that's what you want, you should be alright. If you want a Sauron simulator, look elsewhere.

On the other hand, you can pillage towns, enslave their women, steal their food, and make their lives fairly miserable. The problem with Overlord is that its default path has you being mostly a goodie two shoes, you kind of have to go out of your way to be evil and most people end up not knowing about most of the evil stuff you can do.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

GreatGreen posted:

If you want a Sauron simulator, look elsewhere.

Actually on that note what are some good games where you play the bad guy? I've already played Evil Genius, Dungeon Keeper (games just generally like those two would be awesome as well) and Overlord. Also before anyone suggests Fable, while technically able to be evil you're still saving the world hero style so it's not really evil (3 has this represented the best, you're not evil, just immoral).

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

Actually on that note what are some good games where you play the bad guy? I've already played Evil Genius, Dungeon Keeper (games just generally like those two would be awesome as well) and Overlord. Also before anyone suggests Fable, while technically able to be evil you're still saving the world hero style so it's not really evil (3 has this represented the best, you're not evil, just immoral).

Temple of Elemental Evil (mentioned above, on GOG for $6) lets you play any (D&D) alignment. Been a while since I played it, but you can play as chaotic evil and just go around killing everyone and looting everything.

Edit: If memory serves, each alignment has a different ending, so you could play as chaotic/neutral/lawful evil and get three different endings, allowing for at least three different modes of evilnitude.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Hello again. I completed Arkham Asylum yesterday, and I'm looking for more GOOD (and <15$, i'm saving for nv D:) games better played with a controller (I just bought one and fancy using it) that can be bought on Steam. I know this is a very vague request, but anything like batman, max payne or even recettear will be fine.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cable posted:

Hello again. I completed Arkham Asylum yesterday, and I'm looking for more GOOD (and <15$, i'm saving for nv D:) games better played with a controller (I just bought one and fancy using it) that can be bought on Steam. I know this is a very vague request, but anything like batman, max payne or even recettear will be fine.

If you want an amazing game that is fun to play with a controller, uses a third person camera, is very violent and destructive, and allows the player to move around in three dimensions very freely, you would probably squeal with glee over Just Cause 2. It's incredible.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 2, 2010

Delrith Ur
Apr 26, 2006

by angerbeet
So I decided to go ahead and purchase The Witcher, and I have to say the people who recommended it to me were completely off base. As in, recommending The Witcher to somebody who is looking for brawler based combat is like recommending EVE Online to somebody because you heard they like Star Wars.

Palpek posted:

Ummm, actually no - it is browler style - much more then usual RPG's. I don't know where you get the notion that it's not

Probably from the fact that it is not a brawler but instead a point and click dice roll RPG

The game certainly isn't bad, and I'm kind of glad I made the purchase.It certainly looks like an RPG I could sink some time into. I like the skill system in it, and alchemy adds a unique style of character specialization to the game. But when it comes to the actual combat itself, it's......really unsatisfying and flimsy. No, it is in absolutely no way a hack and slash game. You essentially just click your mouse, watch a five second animation play, wait for the cursor to change color and then click again. The combat stances are not as big of a deal as you guys were making it out to be. If you see a fast enemy you click on the 'fast stance'. If you see a strong enemy you click on the 'strong stance'. That's about it. It amounts to clicking on the screen and watching dice rolls for damage while animations play, and you do in fact sacrifice the ability to maneuver around in combat; if you dodge away or start moving around, you interrupt your attack sequence and stop damaging your opponent. This is quite literally the same exact combat model used in every MMORPG ever made, and is so prominent in RPG games in general that I came to this thread looking for recommendations to avoid exactly this. Put simply, the combat is loving terrible.

That's not including my gripes about the voice atrocious voice acting, which sounds entirely phoned in, and the character design (women should have BIG BUSTY TITS and skimpy revealing robes that show their CLEAVAGE). The game still has an interesting amount of depth to it, and it looks like I could definitely have some fun developing the character and playing him the way that I want to play him, whatever that may be.

However, The Witcher just isn't what I'm looking for at the moment. After coming fresh off of Arkham Asylum which was quite simply an amazing beat 'em up/stealth experience, and Fable which is a fun little hack n' slash RPG, I have a strong hankering for bashing in some digital skulls and dealing out button mashing combos. Like I said, what I'm looking for is essentially Ocarina of Time meets Morrowind. I know such a game probably does not exist, so I'm trying to find the closest thing I can get to that. The Witcher will just have to sit and wait until I'm done working out my bender of testosterone fueled button mashing fury.

Delrith Ur fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 2, 2010

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Combat in The Witcher is pretty much a really slow version of DDR. If you ever go back to The Witcher, the voice acting is terrible but if you have the extended edition it apparently helps to switch to Polish and just read the subtitles. If you think it's bad now you don't even want to know what it was like before the EE.

Delrith Ur
Apr 26, 2006

by angerbeet
Dance Dance Revolution? Dungeons And Dragons?

Yeah, I got the Enhanced edition. I'll try switching it over to polish, sounds like a good idea. I always enjoyed STALKER more after switching the VO's to Russian Only. And christ, I can only imagine. The voice acting in the previews for The Witcher 2 are even worse than the first one.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Delrith Ur posted:

However, The Witcher just isn't what I'm looking for at the moment. After coming fresh off of Arkham Asylum which was quite simply an amazing beat 'em up/stealth experience, and Fable which is a fun little hack n' slash RPG, I have a strong hankering for bashing in some digital skulls and dealing out button mashing combos. Like I said, what I'm looking for is essentially Ocarina of Time meets Morrowind. I know such a game probably does not exist, so I'm trying to find the closest thing I can get to that. The Witcher will just have to sit and wait until I'm done working out my bender of testosterone fueled button mashing fury.

Have you ever played Demon's Souls? It is very much like Zelda meets Oblivion. The combat requires more planning than "mash buttons and watch kick rear end stuff happen" like most traditional brawlers, but the spirit of the combat mechanics are very similar and once you get the hang of it, you can really string together some cool stuff. You're always balancing offense vs defense as well. "Do I stick back, waiting and blocking until my enemy is done trying to hit me? Do I flat-out attack him and hope for the best? Do I intercept him and counter once he tries to hit me?" It's nothing like The Witcher. Combat is very viceral and you are in control of your character's every move. The controls are extremely tight, actually, and the hit boxes are very good too.

Combat in Demon's Souls is phenomenal, actually. It's one of the few modern RPGs I've played where the combat really and truly was good enough to be the center of the game.

If you like brawlers and RPGs, you seriously owe it to yourself to try the game. Personally, I bought a PS3 just to play it and have never regretted it at all.

The only thing that it doesn't quite line up with that you're looking for is the fact that it's not open world. Instead, the layout is sort of a hybrid between a hub sytem and a linear one. Basically, you hang out in a big hub that's connected to everything, called the Nexus. From there, you can access any 1 of 5 worlds. Each world has between 3 and 5 sections, which you have to reach in order. So like you can instantly go to the first part of world 2 or 4 when you start the game, but if you want to go to, say, world 4, section 2, you have to beat world 4, section 1 first. It's a cool system, and it feels "open world" enough to satisfy the open world fans, partially because you can play through all the worlds in any order you want, and partially because every time you leave a world, it repopulates with enemies (except bosses, once you beat them they're dead for good), so it definitely feels like an open world game in that you can keep comning back and killing stuff, even to places you've been before and have previously wiped out.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 2, 2010

Delrith Ur
Apr 26, 2006

by angerbeet
I sold my Ps3 to buy my phone + plan because I'm a poor rear end dude, so I need PC only games. Or Gamecube, but the chances of finding a good gamecube game outside of the handful that I already own are pretty much none.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Delrith Ur posted:

Dance Dance Revolution? Dungeons And Dragons?

Yeah, I got the Enhanced edition. I'll try switching it over to polish, sounds like a good idea. I always enjoyed STALKER more after switching the VO's to Russian Only. And christ, I can only imagine. The voice acting in the previews for The Witcher 2 are even worse than the first one.

Dance Dance Revolution, I mean. You just hit the button in time with the flashes. And the issues with the unpatched dialogue wasn't so much the acting as it was the actual writing. The translators for some reason decided to cut down a huge amount of dialogue, so that all but the most important conversations just had two characters spewing facts at each other. I only got to near the end of Act 2 but I had no idea who half the characters were since most of the dialogue about them was removed.

Delrith Ur
Apr 26, 2006

by angerbeet
Yeah pretty much. And the combat animations can be decent at times, but outside of combat oh my god. The people walking and what not are so stiff it's laughable.

And speaking of laughable.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seems like no matter what game it is, you'll find somebody complaining about the voice acting. The Witcher is an amazing game, and you are seriously nitpicking if you're complaining about the voice acting and animations. Though I actually liked the combat. I'd say a little bit of interaction in the combat is better than just clicking on an enemy and watching your character attack by himself (ala KOTOR 1+2, Neverwinter Nights 1+2, etc)

Delrith Ur posted:

And speaking of laughable.

What's supposed to be laughable about this video? The obviously placeholder dialogue I'm guessing? Looks pretty awesome to me.

Delrith Ur
Apr 26, 2006

by angerbeet

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seems like no matter what game it is, you'll find somebody complaining about the voice acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc

Yes, complaining that the voice actors all sound like Uwe Boll and the characters all walk like cardboard cut-outs is nitpicking. It's not as if we have standards in the year 2008.

Like I said, the game seems fun and has some depth but it is certainly a diamond in the rough. It has some bad flaws (maybe that gives it some charm to people, like STALKER does for me). That doesn't mean it is a bad game though.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What's supposed to be laughable about this video? The obviously placeholder dialogue I'm guessing? Looks pretty awesome to me.

The fact that the dialogue lines are said in a monotone and robotic manner completely devoid of emotion. "Come now I will escort you" sounds like "beep boop greetings human follow me to your predetermined destination". And I don't care if that's Alpha Gameplay, that's exactly what the voice overs in The Witcher: Enhanced Edition sound like.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I can't believe you just linked that. I'm just going to bow out of this argument, I concede to you.

Delrith Ur
Apr 26, 2006

by angerbeet
Good, because I wasn't trying to derail the thread, I was just giving a criticism of the recommendation I was given, and the voice acting was completely inconsequential to that.

And I linked that video because of what I quoted you as saying, which was pretty stupid itself. gently caress man, Shenmue was awesome, but don't tell me I'm nitpicking when I say that game's voice overs sound like lobotomy patients reading from a Sears catalog.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just got laid off so I'm looking for a PC game to help pass the time. I used to play WoW, but once I hit 80 I got bored of doing the same dungeons 5,000 times. My favorite things to do in WoW oddly enough were mining and buying/selling at the Auction House. Are there any (free) MMOs that focus strongly on that aspect of the game? Don't get me wrong, I like grinding, doing quests and dungeons, but the WoW end game content was really boring to me.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Delrith Ur posted:

The fact that the dialogue lines are said in a monotone and robotic manner completely devoid of emotion. "Come now I will escort you" sounds like "beep boop greetings human follow me to your predetermined destination". And I don't care if that's Alpha Gameplay, that's exactly what the voice overs in The Witcher: Enhanced Edition sound like.

Considering that they're using Polish voice actors but they're speaking in English, I'd say that's placeholder dialogue for the purpose of advertising to the English-speaking press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just got laid off so I'm looking for a PC game to help pass the time. I used to play WoW, but once I hit 80 I got bored of doing the same dungeons 5,000 times. My favorite things to do in WoW oddly enough were mining and buying/selling at the Auction House. Are there any (free) MMOs that focus strongly on that aspect of the game? Don't get me wrong, I like grinding, doing quests and dungeons, but the WoW end game content was really boring to me.

X3 is basically a single player EVE Online that has just about the most expansive economic system any game is going to have. The entire game is about buying goods low to sell them high so you can buy more goods and sell them even higher so you can get more and bigger ships and eventually cruise around space with an entire fleet at your back to protect you and your factories (yes, space factories... that you choose, design, and build) that have automated selling/trading ships that do business with other organizations in the galaxy so you can get even more money to expand even further.

It's basically "Build a Space Empire: The Game." The learning curve is practically vertical though. It's very tough to get into, but I hear it's very rewarding if you do.