Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Does anyone know what the normal cruising temp should be for a NA/NB Miata?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

FatCow posted:

Does anyone know what the normal cruising temp should be for a NA/NB Miata?

185/186 in autumn weather.

Mine goes from cold up to about 215 and then drops down to 185 with occasional spikes up to 195ish. Thermostat opens and fans come on at 208.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Will I have fitment issues with a 15x8 +20 wheel? Car is lowered with H&R "race" springs on bilstein sport shocks.

Edit: 00 LS

crutt fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 30, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
949racing's twin disc clutch is made of hilarious.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Just put a deposit down on this.

http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=52981

Plans are to pull the turbo poo poo off, put it on my car, then sell the car stock. Also will be selling the wheels to fund some 15x9 6UL's. mmmmmmm.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

destructo posted:

My first car is a Miata and it's still not wrecked :colbert:

"haven't wrecked my first car" crew signing in :cool:

July 2006:

April 2010:

Shauntron
May 19, 2005

I spent 10 bucks on this shit so don't get fucking banned okay.
After about half a year of obsessing over craigslist and going on test drives I finally got myself an NB with exactly the trim and color I was looking for!

Seen here parked in front of my Weaklipse.

80k miles and aside from relatively worn tires, it seems to need nothing. I'm in love. Whenever I do replace the tires, I may do the wheels as well- I was thinking something five spoke and flat black. Any suggestions?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Not sure about 5 spokes but some nice light wheels are 6ULs or TRmotorsports (on the tirerack website, which I can't figure out how to link to). Both are around 12lbs each and are like $130 or $90 respectively for the 15x7s.

Mazda actually did a nice job on the stock wheels, they are pretty light, if not ugly as dogshit.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Piano posted:

Not sure about 5 spokes but some nice light wheels are 6ULs or TRmotorsports (on the tirerack website, which I can't figure out how to link to). Both are around 12lbs each and are like $130 or $90 respectively for the 15x7s.

Mazda actually did a nice job on the stock wheels, they are pretty light, if not ugly as dogshit.

I like the stock 5 spokes for the early NB's. :(

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Shauntron posted:

After about half a year of obsessing over craigslist and going on test drives I finally got myself an NB with exactly the trim and color I was looking for!

80k miles and aside from relatively worn tires, it seems to need nothing. I'm in love. Whenever I do replace the tires, I may do the wheels as well- I was thinking something five spoke and flat black. Any suggestions?
Congrats on the emerald green mica NB buddy! The paint looks wonderful, the top looks to be great condition too! This ones mine.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I like the stock 5 spokes for the early NB's. :(

I agree!

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Stock miata wheels you say?

They're pretty rad.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Stock miata wheels you say?

They're pretty rad.

So jealous of these. :swoon:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So soft... like cream cheese.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I don't really get why people say the BBS 15ers on the 95M are so soft. Mine have hit an unfortunate number of pot holes and have seen a few really crappy dirt roads and are still as true and round as the day they were made. Never had any issues balancing them, and the car cruises smoothly up to and over 100 so maybe I'm just lucky?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This god drat car gets dirtier faster than anything else I've owned. I washed my last car like 4 times a year. If I go two weeks in the miata it looks like a lint roller on both the inside and out.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Phone posted:

So soft... like cream cheese.

They're made of hopes and dreams, but they look so good!

edit: is a bit of (what I'm assuming is) diff noise normal under heavy acceleration on turns? I only seem to get it on 90º turns when accelerating from a stop, such as pulling into traffic from a side street and having to get heavy on the gas. car is a 95M, in case it makes a difference.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 2, 2010

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

DreamOn13 posted:

Just put a deposit down on this.

http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=52981

Plans are to pull the turbo poo poo off, put it on my car, then sell the car stock. Also will be selling the wheels to fund some 15x9 6UL's. mmmmmmm.

Why would you sell those wheels, Volk TE37's are the best wheel on the planet!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Because with the money from the TE37s, you can buy 15x9 6ULs with no problem.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Phone posted:

Because with the money from the TE37s, you can buy 15x9 6ULs with no problem.

Exactly. White wheels would suck for brake dust as well. Some nickel 6UL's will be tits though, even if they're a couple lbs heavier (but 2" wider).

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

:shlick:

Question:

How much of a step up is an S2000, is it just as good but with a more powerful Vtec engine or does it fall down anywhere in comparison to the Miata?

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

Shauntron posted:

I have that exact make/model/trim. Only I have a hardtop :D Have fun is my only suggestion

willie_dee posted:

Question:

How much of a step up is an S2000, is it just as good but with a more powerful Vtec engine or does it fall down anywhere in comparison to the Miata?
S2000 has slightly less interior room; I'm 6'3" and while I'm snug in an NB, I was definitely cramped. Other than that it's just as nimble if not moreso, a bit harder to drive (I drove a first gen which like to swap ends) and quite a bit more powerful.

velocityJE fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 3, 2010

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
Mazda has an NC at SEMA this year.

Does anyone know the details on the removable hard-top?

Click here for the full 1280x851 image.

The Mazda press-release specifically states that the soft-top was removed from the car and the hard-top was fitted, so we know this is not one of those retractable roof cars.

I was not aware that once could procure a removable hard-top for the NC.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

toaster_pastry posted:

Wah? Sure you can, they're just not interchangeable with old generation tops. Here's one at Go Miata.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I would drive that NC. :fap:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Are there more angles of that car? That looks really good for a NC.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

FatCow posted:

Are there more angles of that car? That looks really good for a NC.

full story on Mazda's SEMA cars here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/02/sema-2010-mazda-brings-some-serious-zoom-zoom-to-las-vegas/#continued

the NC is pictured in the gallery. I agree; it's nice.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Question:

I've had a lot of seat time in the s2000, from a pure money standpoint, assuming it's $4k miata vs a $15k s2000, it is certainly not 3-4 times as good a car. As an arbitrary rating, I'd probably call it 25% better than a miata.

Likewise, (just as arbitrary of a statement), a miata with $2-3k dumped into it will be well into the ballpark of stock s2000 performance.

Awesome things in the s2000, though:
Gearbox: Hard to describe, but it's really exciting and fulfilling to shift, both with the super-precise shifter feel and the crazy redline.
Dash gauges: The Jesus Christ of tachometers.

edit: lol @ mazda putting the NA door handles on that NC. Hah. What a nice little kiss on the cheek from them.
edit: damnit beaten while editing.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 3, 2010

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Never realized how much the NC door handles sucked until now

vs

beatdown fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 3, 2010

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

beatdown posted:

Never released how much the NC door handles sucked until now

vs

Woah, I didn't notice that the SEMA car had the door handles changed. Nice!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Piano posted:

I've had a lot of seat time in the s2000, from a pure money standpoint, assuming it's $4k miata vs a $15k s2000, it is certainly not 3-4 times as good a car. As an arbitrary rating, I'd probably call it 25% better than a miata.

Likewise, (just as arbitrary of a statement), a miata with $2-3k dumped into it will be well into the ballpark of stock s2000 performance.

Awesome things in the s2000, though:
Gearbox: Hard to describe, but it's really exciting and fulfilling to shift, both with the super-precise shifter feel and the crazy redline.
Dash gauges: The Jesus Christ of tachometers.

edit: lol @ mazda putting the NA door handles on that NC. Hah. What a nice little kiss on the cheek from them.
edit: damnit beaten while editing.

I have a Miata that's worth about £3.5k, I want some more power. I have no mechanical knowledge or garage. Loads of people I know in the UK Supercharge or Turbo their Miata and then sell within 6 months! These things together make me want to change my Miata rather than FI it and get a 2 year or so newer S2000 for my car +£3/4kish. Thanks for the replies.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I find the steering wheel position of the (NA) Miata slightly better. And its pedal size and positioning is easier for heel toe. That's all pretty subjective, of course.

From a roadster standpoint, I think it's handy on the rare occasion that you want to drop the top while pulling away from a stoplight. I know it's not a strictly safe thing to do, but in the S2000 you just put up the handbrake one notch so it thinks it's engaged, and then pull back on the droptop switch. Voila, the top and windows come down as you pull away in first. With the Miata, you have to practice a bit before you can gracefully guide the top back in one motion.

In terms of driving experience, the S2000 has way more grip and thus you have to go way harder to find the limit. With stock width tires on the Miata, you can have more fun at safe speeds or in traffic tossing it into turns.

Aws
Dec 5, 2005

quote:

Underhood, modern enhancements include a supercharged Cosworth engine with a DPTune reflashed ECU, and a Racing Beat header and exhaust for some added oomph. While the stock car doesn’t need much improvement in the handling department, Mazda has beefed up the suspension with Mazdaspeed coil-over shocks and a shock-tower brace, plus Racing Beat hollow front and rear anti-roll bars. The braking system sees Power Slot slotted rotors, performance brake pads and stainless steel brake lines from StopTech, and improved cooling from SpeedSource front brake ducts.

code:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/mazda-celebrates-the-mx-5-miata’s-20th-anniversary-again-with-the-mx-5-super20-at-sema/
(copy and paste, because 'miata's' won't work with a link)

Ah, door handles. That's what matters.

Aws fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 3, 2010

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Crossposting this from stupid question thread.

Just hooked up a Snap-on Solus OBD2 scanner to my year 2000 mx5 for an unrelated issue (IAC valve). I noticed that my knock retard was reading steady at 30 degrees, it didn't change at all by changing engine speed. There is definitely no engine knock.

It runs fine other than an idle issue from a stuck IAC valve, theres never been any modifications, it gets good gas mileage, and has normal power throughout the whole RPM range.

It seems like if the knock retard was really at 30 degrees my car should not even be running, especially not running well. Knock sensors don't really break often and when they do, I thought that generally they just don't give any signal to the PCM, so it wouldn't be retarding timing.. I'm not sure where to go from here, any ideas?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Piano posted:

I love Miatas, but this isn't true at all. You will spend a lot of money getting a Miata to go as fast as an S2k on the same tires.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

toaster_pastry posted:

Mazda has an NC at SEMA this year.

Does anyone know the details on the removable hard-top?

The Mazda press-release specifically states that the soft-top was removed from the car and the hard-top was fitted, so we know this is not one of those retractable roof cars.

I want one so bad right now. Too bad Mazda won't sell it like that. I suppose you could source all the parts yourself and build a NC to replicate that, but it would be amazing if Mazda actually sold a car like that.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Savington posted:

I love Miatas, but this isn't true at all. You will spend a lot of money getting a Miata to go as fast as an S2k on the same tires.

so just spend some of that $2-3k on tires :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimcicle posted:

I suppose you could source all the parts yourself and build a NC to replicate that, but it would be amazing if Mazda actually sold a car like that.

It'd take good money just to have the finger handles put in properly.

Here's the link for easy clickin'
bitching 20 AE car that will never be

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 4, 2010

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

televiper posted:

so just spend some of that $2-3k on tires :colbert:
Don't matter, S2000s are in a whole different league. I've seen a totally bone stock S2000 lap one of the tightest, most technical tracks around faster than the fastest Spec Miata. This is a track where they can barely get out of 3rd gear.

e: the BBS' might be soft, but they're so soft a couple high speed runs on the highway and they're straight again!

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

Don't matter, S2000s are in a whole different league. I've seen a totally bone stock S2000 lap one of the tightest, most technical tracks around faster than the fastest Spec Miata. This is a track where they can barely get out of 3rd gear.

e: the BBS' might be soft, but they're so soft a couple high speed runs on the highway and they're straight again!

It was supposed to be a bit of a joke.

I dunno, I like the s2000 a lot, but for the money, a Miata seems like a better bang:buck to me. But I don't race, so that might show my bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Cojones
Jul 11, 2001
Anyone know of a cheap decent looking antenna? I remember seeing a link to a smallish black one that cost like 12 bux but that was a while back.

I have a '94.