Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

lazyjane posted:

The American Shameless, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.sho.com/site/shameless/home.do

I'm not sure.

Far too attractive. Well, not Macy, but (what I think are) the sons and the elder daughter. What's the nearest American equivalent to the Gallaghers council-house look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
they look like American actors

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I always thought the "Scottish people have it hard" routine was pretty old hat and lazy until I was told that Kevin Bridges was born in '86. He's a year older than me.

That's not the face of a man in his early 20s.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Ddraig posted:

I always thought the "Scottish people have it hard" routine was pretty old hat and lazy until I was told that Kevin Bridges was born in '86. He's a year older than me.

That's not the face of a man in his early 20s.

Holy crap, I was born in '78 and look younger than him.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

http://www.avclub.com/articles/hbo-picks-up-white-house-comedy-from-in-the-loop-w,47015/

ianucci going abroad to flog american thatcher romcom

Testro
May 2, 2009

Born agoon. posted:

Far too attractive. Well, not Macy, but (what I think are) the sons and the elder daughter. What's the nearest American equivalent to the Gallaghers council-house look?

Lip in particular looks miscast in comparison to the UK show - he doesn't look rough enough around the edges. And Ian, for that matter, looks like he's about 12.

It is very weird to be watching key moments from the first episode or so with completely different faces. Hmm.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I just started Skins, and have a question about the educational system in the UK. I'm assuming these kids are in an equivalent to high school here in the US (usually, ages 15-18), but they say that they're in college? In the US, 'college' is just like 'university,' so I don't really understand the school they're at, I guess.

Also, do teachers really swear at their students as much as they do in this show?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Aatrek posted:

I just started Skins, and have a question about the educational system in the UK. I'm assuming these kids are in an equivalent to high school here in the US (usually, ages 15-18), but they say that they're in college? In the US, 'college' is just like 'university,' so I don't really understand the school they're at, I guess.

Also, do teachers really swear at their students as much as they do in this show?

Until recently you could leave school at sixteen, our colleges are government funded community college things. We have Universities which are more traditional hardcore education establishments like the US ones though.

And no, none of my Community College Professors swore.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
College can be a place children go when they're 16-18 for what used to be the first stage of "further education". Recently they made it mandatory for everyone to be in education until they're 18, so you can either go to college, stay in a school that goes up to that old, or be in some form of apprenticeship.

If they were at university, they'd say they were at uni.

edit - Some of my teachers swore, generally not at us, but they'd occasionally swear while talking about things.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Oh, that's very different. We go to high school through age 18, generally, and then move on to higher education. If we go to college (aka 'uni'), it's usually a two to four year enrollment right after high school.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Aatrek posted:

Oh, that's very different. We go to high school through age 18, generally, and then move on to higher education. If we go to college (aka 'uni'), it's usually a two to four year enrollment right after high school.

Our Middle and High Schools are combined into a neat public school package of suffering and unhealthy school dinners know as Secondary School.

Not sure how the private school system works.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Our Middle and High Schools are combined into a neat public school package of suffering and unhealthy school dinners know as Secondary School.

Not sure how the private school system works.

Pretty much the same, but with more Latin and buggery.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Skins is entertaining and all, but it feels like there's a lot that I can't really relate to as a middle-of-the-road American, like hanging around and drinking at bars at age 16, or taking school trips to Russia for a history class.

The Russian girl who learned to speak English through Friends references is pretty funny, though.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I haven't watched Skins (keep meaning to) but I know a few Swedish girls who speak English with American accents because they mainly learned from watching US shows.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Aatrek posted:

Skins is entertaining and all, but it feels like there's a lot that I can't really relate to as a middle-of-the-road American, like hanging around and drinking at bars at age 16, or taking school trips to Russia for a history class.

As someone who did both those things I still feel comfortable saying that Skins is what every 16 year old Brit wants everyone to think their lives are like, rather than how they actually are. I was about 16 (and a bit of a waste) when the show started so it had some relevance initially, but it soon became so absurdly over-the-top that I just couldn't watch it. It's like everyone's compulsive-liar of a childhood friend making up stories about themselves and then turning them into plotlines. At its peak I also remember a sickening amount of middle-class teenagers who felt the need to aspire to the show or compare their lives to skins in some way, so much so that it became something of a running joke.

Also I've been to a few of the clubs they film in and naturally none of them are nearly so wild as they'd have you believe. God I hate that programme.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Skins is the life Jay from the Inbetweeners says he has

Inbetweeners is the life he does have.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Every single character in Skins is a massive, massive oval office and I loving hate them

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^ this is true. I stopped watching skins because it made me want to stab teenagers even more than usual.

Aatrek posted:

like hanging around and drinking at bars at age 16

Loads of British kids will do this if they can get away with it. GCSE (exams you take at 16) results day is hilarious for watching the kids in the bars getting utterly shitfaced on three alcopops, and the old paedos circling around the inebriated young girls.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

c0burn posted:

Every single character in Skins is a massive, massive oval office and I loving hate them

This loving Tony kid is just filling me with rage, and I'm only up to episode seven.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
:ssh: Tony is the villain, at least in the first series

ibroxmassive posted:

Basically this, it's unrealistic but in a very familiar way rather than the soap opera-y way of something like The OC, it's the kind of stuff that totally happened to this kid in Enfield comp, my cousin goes there and he told me right, etc. The characters attitudes and personalities are much more accurate too- like Tony is exactly the kind of prick I can imagine thinking was really cool in college.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Those twins would both get it though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Did no-one watch the Psychoville Halloween special last night? I thought they did an excellent job of having a perfect balance between horror and comedy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ibroxmassive posted:

This is the most perfect description of those two shows.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Did no-one watch the Psychoville Halloween special last night? I thought they did an excellent job of having a perfect balance between horror and comedy.

Yeah I thought it was great. Especially the clown's story, those kids were actually pretty drat creepy. And I loved the insane conspiracy stuff at the end, I clearly need to rewatch the first series now because I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. In a good way.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Aatrek posted:

As has been mentioned, Skins is a fantasy of being a British teenager, watch the simply amazing Inbetweeners for a much more realistic version which you will probably be able to relate to more easily. It really is an excellent and very well observed comedy.

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!

lazyjane posted:

The American Shameless, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.sho.com/site/shameless/home.do

I'm not sure.
Poor William Macy, he keeps getting so badly photoshoped into posters.

Brown Moses posted:

It was great. I liked how it was tied into the end of the first series and can't wait for the second.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

c0burn posted:

These are sentiments that I can get behind

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
Chris wasn't a oval office.

Skins was great and I could relate to the characters far more than the Inbetweeners. Inbetweeners always played it too safe and sanitised to reflect what I experienced as a child. Skins was far closer to the bone but with everything massively exaggerated. The weird dealer and all the petty relationship bullshit that they do to each other in spite of their being friends was very well done. The messed up lives of the kids and how their attitudes are influenced by their parents and teachers was pretty cool to see happen and evolve over time. 3rd and 4th not so much but it was still enjoyable. They just messed up the relationship dynamic between characters.

Inbetweeners is too self-aware whereas Skins, although cognizant of its own fantasy, plays it straight.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

ibroxmassive posted:

This is brilliant. I bet when you thought of this you smiled to yourself about how right it is.

The Trip is starting tonight. On the one hand I like both Coogan and Brydon, on the other if the clips they've shown for it are actually some of the highlights it's going to be boring as gently caress.

Also Dispatches sounds too brutal for me tonight:

The hollow-eyed teenagers in this harrowing film are like little ghosts, flitting from place to place, invisible to an uncaring world. Nick Read's film follows a handful of teens in different British cities, who have either left or been thrown out of chaotic homes by parents whose nurturing skills are kindly described on the commentary as "inconsistent". On the streets, where they are way down the list of local council housing priorities, they're vulnerable to violence and sexual abuse and, of course, drug addiction. Robyn, 16, was forced to inject herself with heroin when she was 11 and now roams Edinburgh, occasionally sleeping in a graveyard. "You just get used to a quality of life," she says matter-of-factly of a life that has no quality at all.

I know for a fact that I'll switch over to football at the first ad break and not have the fortitude to go back.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Just reading about Dispatches is making me more depressed than usual.

Also, something rare TV wise is up on YouTube but I'm not sure about the rules. Should I keep it mum?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just reading about Dispatches is making me more depressed than usual.

Also, something rare TV wise is up on YouTube but I'm not sure about the rules. Should I keep it mum?

Spill the beans, drat you :argh:

(AFAIK, if it's up on Youtube, it's fair game until they take it down)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lot 49 posted:

This is brilliant. I bet when you thought of this you smiled to yourself about how right it is.

The Trip is starting tonight. On the one hand I like both Coogan and Brydon, on the other if the clips they've shown for it are actually some of the highlights it's going to be boring as gently caress.

I think the last thing Brydon and Coogan were in together was Cruise of the Gods which wasn't that great.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be nice if it was good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Spill the beans, drat you :argh:

(AFAIK, if it's up on Youtube, it's fair game until they take it down)

Get Some In, late seventies comedy about National Service RAF Airmen on YouTube now up to series five.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

marktheando posted:

Yeah I thought it was great. Especially the clown's story, those kids were actually pretty drat creepy. And I loved the insane conspiracy stuff at the end, I clearly need to rewatch the first series now because I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. In a good way.

In and of itself it was good, but it didn't really change anything that was going on. Most of the stories were either dubious or revealed to be false at some point or another: Joy's and Mr. Jolly's were made up, David's was a dream and Oscar's was a friend-of-a-friend urban legend. But that's probably for the best: one of the things I liked best about Psychoville was that (almost) everything had a rational explanation, not just "it was ghosts".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Get Some In, late seventies comedy about National Service RAF Airmen on YouTube now up to series five.

Never heard of it. Is it actually good?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Whybird posted:

In and of itself it was good, but it didn't really change anything that was going on. Most of the stories were either dubious or revealed to be false at some point or another: Joy's and Mr. Jolly's were made up, David's was a dream and Oscar's was a friend-of-a-friend urban legend. But that's probably for the best: one of the things I liked best about Psychoville was that (almost) everything had a rational explanation, not just "it was ghosts".

Yeah the structure of it kind of reminded me of the old Simpsons Halloween specials, they were always amazing. Well they were before the Simpsons became poo poo of course.

But the stuff at the end with the spy-types after the jewellery actually happened right? Certainly seemed that way since they appeared in the preview teaser thing for the next series.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Brown Moses posted:

I didn't know it was on. You're supposed to use this thread to give an advance heads-up...

But we now have iplayer, so I'll let you off.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

Never heard of it. Is it actually good?

I'm enjoying it more than Dads Army, which is a classic. They seem very accurate about the time the tv program is set in (mid fifties).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm enjoying it more than Dads Army, which is a classic. They seem very accurate about the time the tv program is set in (mid fifties).

Never heard of it, but seeing as my grandfather is the biggest Dad's Army fan in the world and also served in the RAF for national service in the 50's, I'm gonaa buy him the boxset for xmas right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

Never heard of it, but seeing as my grandfather is the biggest Dad's Army fan in the world and also served in the RAF for national service in the 50's, I'm gonaa buy him the boxset for xmas right now.

My old man loves it apparently despite being former RAF Infantry, so your granddad is going to enjoy it.