Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

stratdax posted:

This highlights my problem with Jerry Seinfeld's humour. Doesn't matter what topic, Jerry thinks it's stupid. Dancing is a fun thing to do. In that book of his, he makes fun of people who work out, because they're working out so they can be in shape for the next workout. Uh no... they're working out so they can stay in shape.
Like, he misses the point on everything, and then says it's stupid. Drives me nuts.
Thats the point. Hes a person that doesnt like other people. Also: its a joke.

Why have you read the book and watched the series if you don't like his humor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

stratdax posted:

This highlights my problem with Jerry Seinfeld's humour. Doesn't matter what topic, Jerry thinks it's stupid. Dancing is a fun thing to do. In that book of his, he makes fun of people who work out, because they're working out so they can be in shape for the next workout. Uh no... they're working out so they can stay in shape.
Like, he misses the point on everything, and then says it's stupid. Drives me nuts.

Do you really think he doesn't understand the concept of working out, or maybe -- just maybe -- he was exaggerating for the sake of the joke?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just don't understand why they call it Ovaltine.... they should call it ROUNDtine!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

Do you really think he doesn't understand the concept of working out, or maybe -- just maybe -- he was exaggerating for the sake of the joke?

Yes I know, that was my point. He exaggerating something to the point where what he's "joking" about has nothing to do with the subject. There's no connection. Like, it would be funny if there was any fragment of truth to what he was talking about, but if you know anything about the subject that he's joking about, the jokes are just dumb.

Cage posted:

Thats the point. Hes a person that doesnt like other people. Also: its a joke.

Why have you read the book and watched the series if you don't like his humor?

I read the book because I liked the series. Turns out, what I liked about the series was Larry David, not Jerry Seinfeld.
Costanza was a better character for pointing out why things are dumb or why society sucks.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I also am looking for a quote from Seinfeld, it is my all-time favorite (along with "...How can a street intersect itself, I must be at the nexus of the universe!") and goes something like this:

*George and Jerry are talking about building a log cabin*

George: Jerry, we could do that, we could build a log cabin!
Jerry: Us, no. Two men? yes

That's a horrible rendering of it, but something along this lines. I think it may be in one of the episodes that involves Susan's parent's log cabin, but that is just a guess from the subject matter.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I also am looking for a quote from Seinfeld, it is my all-time favorite (along with "...How can a street intersect itself, I must be at the nexus of the universe!") and goes something like this:

*George and Jerry are talking about building a log cabin*

George: Jerry, we could do that, we could build a log cabin!
Jerry: Us, no. Two men? yes

That's a horrible rendering of it, but something along this lines. I think it may be in one of the episodes that involves Susan's parent's log cabin, but that is just a guess from the subject matter.

I think that's pretty close, I think it's more like "Well, not us, but two men could."

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Goerge: We could build cabin like that! (snaps his fingers)
Jerry: Well, maybe not us but two men could

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

stratdax posted:

Yes I know, that was my point. He exaggerating something to the point where what he's "joking" about has nothing to do with the subject. There's no connection. Like, it would be funny if there was any fragment of truth to what he was talking about, but if you know anything about the subject that he's joking about, the jokes are just dumb.

I think you just don't like his joke about people who only workout to look good in the gym(which isn't a completely off-base observation).

Also, speaking of exaggerating something to the point that it has nothing to do with the subject:

stratdax posted:

Everything.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Anyway, this is from the thread in GBS "Things you Just figured Out"

forsakenfuture posted:

Remember that 90's show Seinfeld? Remember when Jerry would be doing stand up before, during and after the show? By watching the first seasons DVD I realized that those were part of the show. For some reason it always felt like part of an intermisson or something. Not actually canon.

Goddamn. Read that first sentence.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

stratdax posted:

That's really loving sad. :(

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

Relayer posted:

She has a taint! I can't see it, but I know it's there. Maybe if I could shrink myself down like in Fantastic Voyage and get inside a microscopic submarine I could be sure. Although if there was something there it might be pretty scary.. of course I would have that laser..

You said you grabbed it outta there real fast, right?

So I'm sure whatever germs it landed on were knocked out, and by the
time the rest of them realized what was going on, you had already grabbed it
out.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Monarch posted:

Goerge: We could build cabin like that! (snaps his fingers)
Jerry: Well, maybe not us but two men could

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IopX-tzM2Lo

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Jingleheimer posted:

If only The Marriage Ref was Jerry's idea of trolling NBC, sadly that is not the case.

ELAINE: So what you are saying is that 90 to 95 percent of the population is undateable?

JERRY: UNDATEABLE!

ELAINE: Then how are all these people getting together?

JERRY: Alcohol. :colbert:

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Jerusalem posted:

I just don't understand why they call it Ovaltine.... they should call it ROUNDtine!

I just stopped by to thank you. That risk management stuff you wrote for me? It's killer!...Aw, it's gold, Jerry! Gold! I got all these corporate gigs and even Cynthia took me back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

esperantinc posted:

I just stopped by to thank you. That risk management stuff you wrote for me? It's killer!...Aw, it's gold, Jerry! Gold! I got all these corporate gigs and even Cynthia took me back.

I love that George can't read books because he can't stand his own voice in his head, and when he finally gets the Risk Management book on tape, the guy reading it sounds exactly like him.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
You're hung up on some show from the 90s, man!

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
God, George coming up with those half-assed reasons why he needed to shove women and children to the ground during the grease fire was hilarious.

He hates his miserable life but will stop at nothing to save it.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

stratdax posted:

Anyway, this is from the thread in GBS "Things you Just figured Out"

Goddamn. Read that first sentence.

Hey, anyone remember that show from the nineteen hundred and nineties that is widely considered the best of all time, Seinfeld? ... anyone?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Hey kids, what's the deal with homework? You're not working on your home!

boooooo...

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

HateTheInternet posted:

Hey kids, what's the deal with homework? You're not working on your home!

boooooo...
According to popular wisdom that's pretty much exemplary of his recent acts in a nutshell. :stare:

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

stratdax posted:

I read the book because I liked the series. Turns out, what I liked about the series was Larry David, not Jerry Seinfeld.
Costanza was a better character for pointing out why things are dumb or why society sucks.

You know, I tend to think of the Seinfeld acts inserted on the series as done from Seinfeld's character's point of view. As in, the real Seinfeld writes the jokes exaggerating stuff (which can still be fairly funny once in a while), but that doesn't mean he actually thinks everything is stupid. His sitcom persona, on the other hand, seems to actually live by the moral of those jokes, and you can see how that works out for him. He's slightly misanthropist, quite spergy and the most accommodated character in the cast. If you compare him to the rest, you can notice how his life never changes and how he never takes any chances. AFAIK he's a comedian the whole time (and doesn't seem to suffer ups and downs in employment like George does), never gets into a serious relationship throughout the whole series (as opposed to George with Susan or Elaine with Puddy and such), and is pretty comfortable with his life living in that apartment, eating cereal, watching TV and (presumably) reading Superman. Anything beyond this is stupid for him and gets him uncomfortable.

George is a lot more adventurous. Since he's so lazy, incompetent and neurotic, he tries to cover everything up by lying his way through everything. And unlike Jerry, who may not do something that feels awkward for him, George will do anything to get something for free, even if it means eating trash or getting into a limo with neo-nazis. The result is George is always gambling with his jobs and relationships, and usually loses (resulting in humiliation and the loss of whatever he might have), but when he does win, you have his finest crowning moments of glory, like in "The Marine Biologist". Elaine is pretty similar to him as well, except she's more cultured and competent, so she doesn't have to lie as often, but she's constantly under pressure from society, in the shape of her demanding bosses (like Mr. Pitt, with the whole socks ordeal, or Mr. Peterman who makes her go after him in the jungle). Combine this with her energic, explosive temper and you have scenes where she does wacky stuff like running with all the rolls of toilet paper in "The Stall", or angrily defenestrating George's wig in "The Beard". Both characters go through many different relatively stable jobs and relationships, while Jerry's constantly single and a comedian. He never does anything different, except when coerced by the others.

Meanwhile, Kramer, the wackiest of all, is the extreme case, as jobs, relationships and personal gain seem to mean very little to him compared to the pleasure he gets from fulfilling his insane whims, from cooking in the shower to going to Hollywood. This lifestyle could mean a risk to George or Elaine, but there's never any real danger in anything Kramer does, which's also why he's always so earnest. If George fucks up with his job, he'll be unemployed and god knows when he'll get another job, so the risk of having to live with his insane parents is always looming, while Kramer can gently caress up all he wants, because there's rarely any consequence.

Among them, I'd say Jerry's function is to work as some sort of ground or anchor. While George is constantly gambling whatever he may have, Elaine is forced to do absurd things for her bosses and Kramer is always doing something crazy, Jerry's the one who's always open to receive everybody in his apartment and show his skepticism to all that's going on. As a result, he may be far from being the funniest character in the cast, but he has a clear function in the structure of the series.

I don't think I've ever thought of writing so many words on Seinfeld. I'm not even defending the bad jokes, but I think the series points it out pretty clearly that if you actually take them to their conclusion, you'll end up living the boring life Jerry does - and the series' Jerry, that is, who doesn't own 46 Porsches.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Crimsonjewfro posted:

He's slightly misanthropist, quite spergy and the most accommodated character in the cast. If you compare him to the rest, you can notice how his life never changes and how he never takes any chances. AFAIK he's a comedian the whole time (and doesn't seem to suffer ups and downs in employment like George does)

Well of course it never changes and has no ups and downs...he's Even Steven!

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
Woot, nudity in a Seinfeld episode even if it only lasts for 0.5seconds.

You can see nipple in the Hampton's Beach episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Meanwhile, Kramer, the wackiest of all, is the extreme case, as jobs, relationships and personal gain seem to mean very little to him compared to the pleasure he gets from fulfilling his insane whims,

Here's to feeling good all the time :clint:

brenkelieshere
Mar 10, 2007
Jackie Chiles is back, sucka!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/ffe01defa1/introducing-jackie-chiles-for-the-people?rel=player

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Woot, nudity in a Seinfeld episode even if it only lasts for 0.5seconds.

You can see nipple in the Hampton's Beach episode.

Is that the one with the sunbathing woman? I doubt it, she was probably wearing modesty patches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Max22 posted:

Is that the one with the sunbathing woman? I doubt it, she was probably wearing modesty patches.

I don't know man, it was a wild scene.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
We could be zipping all over the place!

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Max22 posted:

I never noticed until now but when George is talking to that girlfriend on the drive out to the Hamptons he talks about his love of cough syrup with mixers. He was talking about Purple Drank, George is crunk as gently caress.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Mr.Kramer, my name is Lewis Maxton Graham. I'm one of the producers of Scarsdale Surprise.

H-hey, ehh, Lou!!! .. *looks worried*

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Relayer posted:

Mr.Kramer, my name is Lewis Maxton Graham. I'm one of the producers of Scarsdale Surprise.

H-hey, ehh, Lou!!! .. *looks worried*

What happened to you?
Raquel Welch!
That woman is a menace

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
"There is a George Bonanza here to see you."

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010

bleedbackwards posted:

Cooooo-stanza!

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

bleedbackwards posted:

Cartwright?

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
He's my protégé.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Mystic_Squid posted:

Cartwright?

Cant-stand-ya!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

T. Finn posted:

What happened to you?
Raquel Welch!
That woman is a menace

Woof!

penis sandwich
Aug 28, 2004

have some pudding :)
:sigh: Do you mean "reer"?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yes, that's the one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
George: Okay, here it is, I got it! She lost her thumbs in a tractor accident, and they grafted her big toes on! They do it every day.

Jerry: You think she's got toes for thumbs?

George: How's her handshake? A little firm, isn't it? Maybe a little too firm?

Jerry: I don't know.

George: Hand a little smelly?

Jerry: Why do I seek your counsel?