Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Didn't make an oath for the oath thread last month, but that doesn't mean I didn't get anything done, as I managed to throw some paint at this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus dude, those rocks. Those rocks are amazing looking.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

R.S. Gumby posted:

Didn't make an oath for the oath thread last month, but that doesn't mean I didn't get anything done, as I managed to throw some paint at this:

Goddamn dude.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
This weekend was quantity over quality. Me and a friend painted a shitload of Empire guys:

Late friday before we got stuck in. It's a bit over 150 unpainted mans.

Sunday night when we finally stopped painting. We finished everything except for 30 Greatswords and five guys on horses. Well, that and bases.

Really pleased with how the Flagellants came out considering they only took about seven hours to complete.

Arlaharen fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 1, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
WOW! You guys did an awesome job. I wish I had both the patience and a friend with the patience to paint something like that in a weekend.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Uber Kosh posted:

Sorry for some major necromancy, but PV what green and gold is that on this model?

It was pretty much all mixes, I honestly cant remember

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

R.S. Gumby posted:

loving

Gorgeous

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
So, I've been using Dakka's Paint Range Compatability Chart to try and find some equivalent colors across a few brands, but it's been coming up very short (especially where VMC is concerned.)

Searching farther afield, I just came across this pdf file on Vallejo's site. It appears to be an equivalence chart; not just of their own paints to their competitors, but matching colors between two different competitors' lines as well.

I'm not familiar enough with the assorted ranges to know how accurate it is, but this thing looks loving comprehensive.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
There is also this site (which is referenced from Dakka's page):

http://colors.silicon-dragons.com/full_line.php

I don't know if I'd call it a problem, but it seems to me that a lot of of the VMC paints I've purchased have been a lot lighter than the little color preview would have you think. Not really that bad, they are quality paints regardless, just something to think about.

I like having paints from all the ranges, gives a nice variety.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive never seen a paint comparison chart that was very accurate, and the "sample" pics are usually pretty off too. Best way to compare is to hit your LGS and hold em in your hands in good lighting.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

PaintVagrant posted:

... LGS ... good lighting.

Hahaha, good one, PV!

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
My LGS has great lighting. :unsmith:

Ingo Pech
Oct 1, 2010
Mine is literally in a basement of an ancient house. There is a foyer upstairs but the windows are covered by blinds and advertisements, it is perpetually eye straining-ly dim in there.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Y'all have some awful LGS's

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~
Hey can i get a quick tip? I'm really, really new at this and am having trouble with some elements of painting. Specifically, I'm having trouble applying wash smoothly. It comes out all patchy and blotchy, particularly on lighter colors. I am using the citadel wash Devlan mud on citadel paints. Am I using too much wash? I can't find an "intro to applying wash" kind of tutorial. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Ingo Pech
Oct 1, 2010
I'm in there about once a week or so and the clerks have never really acknowledged me beyond the customary customer greeting deals. Until last week when the sterotypical LGS clerk looks at me with this thin grin plastered across his face and lets out a barely audible, reedy little whisper: "I recognize you..." He didn't say anything else, aside from my total and the token "Bye."

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
First, make sure you shake up the wash real well. Second, if you are washing large, flat areas its difficult to get a smooth finish. Washes really shine for shading recesses and adding depth. Just slop it on there and drag it about with your brush, trying not to let it pool too much where you dont want it to. Then just leave it for half an hour to dry.

Perhaps if you got some pics or something we could evaluate the problem further.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

i saw dasein posted:

Hey can i get a quick tip? I'm really, really new at this and am having trouble with some elements of painting. Specifically, I'm having trouble applying wash smoothly. It comes out all patchy and blotchy, particularly on lighter colors. I am using the citadel wash Devlan mud on citadel paints. Am I using too much wash? I can't find an "intro to applying wash" kind of tutorial. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Use a dry brush to pick up the wash where you don't want it. Also as Miles said, it will pool on flat surfaces and there isn't much you can do about it besides applying it with an airbrush. What are you using the wash on?

magnetbox
Jun 7, 2002

I Heart Thomas and Guy-Man
Get some mixing medium into the wash, makes it less splotchy

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~
I was using it on a crisis suit (small figure with lots of flat surfaces) overtop a light color so I bet that was it. Thanks for your tips guys. I am still trying to figure this stuff out... :)

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
No problem, it's what we're all here for. We shall learn... together. :glomp:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ha ha ha I wasn't using krazy glue enough but now Doombull sits on his base nicely. :eng99: Thanks whoever said "you're using krazy glue, right?"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

i saw dasein posted:

I was using it on a crisis suit (small figure with lots of flat surfaces) overtop a light color so I bet that was it. Thanks for your tips guys. I am still trying to figure this stuff out... :)

Try not putting so much on, or after you get some on your brush, lightly touching it to the surface of your water pot to thin it a litte. And yeah, a dry brush to wick away pools.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Does anyone know where to get smaller sizes of mdf board? I can get one of the large sheets at a home improvement store here but I only need like a 4" x 6" area or slightly larger.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Can someone suggest a progression of GW colors I can use to paint black and have it end up highlighted with ice blue on the edges or something? I'm going for some sort of obsidian deal, but I'm not sure how to paint stuff that will be mostly black and not suck. I'm thinking of freehanding some cracks in it, and if it ends up looking like lightning that's ok.

And if someone could relink the company that sells plastic transparent rods in the same diameter as the boring green necron ones, that would be cool too. :shobon: I've stalled on my main army because there's too much poo poo to do, and I figure I'll see if I can get inspired to actually finish all the necrons I have.

Tanith fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 2, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Rikthor posted:

Does anyone know where to get smaller sizes of mdf board? I can get one of the large sheets at a home improvement store here but I only need like a 4" x 6" area or slightly larger.

Most places here will offer to cut to the size need, worth a shot

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
A 4'x8' piece of MDF is like 6 bucks, just cut it down.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Why why why did I not keep all the little bits in a separate box when painting my doomwheel? I have lost one of the handles the driver uses :(

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Why why why did I not keep all the little bits in a separate box when painting my doomwheel? I have lost one of the handles the driver uses :(

Joystick Doomwheel.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Well, my tank is finished. I both hated and loved painting this thing. Good god it took a long time. And I have five more to go. Plus about 90 minis.

I really like how the plow turned out on this. Overall I'm satisfied. Unfortunately this model was bought used and was horribly put together and is missing a lot of tread. The dirt is covering globs of glue leftover from the previous owner.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It looks kinda bummed out.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

The Saddest Russ by C.S. Goto

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Posting to say that the plastic Deff Dread is one of the best 40k kits GW have ever put out. It is glorious.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Cranked out these little bastards today.

Edit: And in the last two hours I painted this happy fellow.

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 4, 2010

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I just basecoated an Armored Sentinel with Shadow Grey because I am retarded. In retrospect it's really more of a blue. :sigh:

Oh well, the paint went on really well so maybe I can still make it look cool.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
I'm working on a disembarked version of the scouts in the landspeeder storm.

Gunner:

Reloading Guy:

I was gonna base them in a desert theme tonight, but all the glue in my house apparently froze. So instead I'll saw the left-handed bolter arm off another storm scout. Not looking forward to it.

Master Twig posted:

Edit: And in the last two hours I painted this happy fellow.

Funny you posted this, I've been trying to paint my old standard bearer, but the flag broke off and I've been having trouble making it stay on again.

EDIT: Does anyone know if the the regular landspeeder's multimelta will fit onto the storm's gun rail?

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 4, 2010

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

The Blue Pyramid posted:

EDIT: Does anyone know if the the regular landspeeder's multimelta will fit onto the storm's gun rail?

Once you clean the mold line off of it it should. :smug:

Nah, seriously though, looks pretty good so far. I'd maybe lose the huge-rear end knife on the scout, but if you like it, leave it. Also, what are those heads from?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

The Blue Pyramid posted:

The multimelta in the land speeder kit is the same as the one in the attack bike kit, etc, they all fit on the land speeder/attack bike gun rails.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Sole.Sushi posted:

Joystick Doomwheel.

Ended up having to buy this for one of the handles

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_59_277&products_id=6453

Anyone wanna buy a Doomwheel frame :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If I wanted a laquered red wood look, how would I go about doing it? Blood red, badab black, gloss coat?

• Locked thread