Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManWhatADork
Oct 2, 2001

lowcrabdiet posted:

Also, how did you run the wires to the in-ceiling speakers? In-ceiling speakers seem like a great idea but I don't have any idea how to implement them :(

In comparison to some I guess I had it lucky. The house is a split level so above this room is an attic. I drilled down through the top of the wall behind the tv, cut a hole at the bottom of the wall and dragged the wires up into the attic. The holes for the speakers were REALLY scary to cut but once I started they went pretty easy. The wires are just draped across the insulation and joists in the attic. I finished the hole up with a plastic wall plate / feed from Monoprice.

This makes it seem pretty straightforward, but the reality was it was kind of a pain in the rear end, particularly getting a fish wire down from the attic, through the wall insulation and down through the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Belldandy posted:

I never thought about the speaker being so good it actually reveals poor mastering. That's awesome. I need to go to the local B&W store to check those out. Thanks for the pictures!

My old B&W 603 S2's were able to reveal poor mastering, I'm sure your current setup can as well.

asari
Jul 8, 2008
I love B&W speakers, Rotel not so much.

greginno
Jan 7, 2004

Belldandy posted:

Good christ, that's like 300-400 less than I paid. Go get it.

So about that wonderful deal. Well, the shipment arrived at my door today... and it was a loving Energizer 9V battery! Called up customer support at The Price Pros, and they didn't even have it in stock. How disappointing.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Need to fix up my cable management, I was moving stuff around the other day.

Omnimount Stellar G303
- Ugly fan that I will put away because the weather is not that hot anymore
- Wireless Sennheisers
- Asus router acting as a bridge
- xbox (died last week :(), ps3 and wii

Omnimount Modena 47FP
- Panasonic 37" LCD
- Denon surroundbar (I don't like messing around with rear speakers and this apartment is made of solid concrete so couldn't really hide the cables anyway)
- Asus O!play
- Crappy satellite box
- WD hard drive

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Drogadon posted:

- Denon surroundbar (I don't like messing around with rear speakers and this apartment is made of solid concrete so couldn't really hide the cables anyway)

How does a soundbar work for you? I'm fascinated by the concept but have never seen one in real life so I'm still a bit skeptical.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Tivac posted:

How does a soundbar work for you? I'm fascinated by the concept but have never seen one in real life so I'm still a bit skeptical.

For me it's good enough, the sound is great but obviously not equal to a proper surround system. It was pretty cheap too ($500 which is an awesome price around here, should be cheaper in the US).

I decided to go with it because I can't hide cables in this apartment, if I had my own house I would probably go with a normal surround system. For a dorm/apartment setting it's awesome though.

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
Where'd you get that DVD shelf? I like it.

neka
Sep 11, 2006
The office;

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Doctor Londom posted:

Where'd you get that DVD shelf? I like it.

It's actually two of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Side-Wave-Multimedia-Shelf-Units/dp/B0009I73I0

I got mine locally from Office Depot.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

Ino Audio pi60s + bs60
NAD 208
Denon PMA-1500AE used as a preamp
Squeezebox

Decent fittings for the absorbers are on the to-do list. A projector and screen is on the to-get list, to add some V to all the A.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
Old:
Mitsubishi 720p DLP tv. 5 years old. Cost: $3200
This was also before the basement flood (twice), so we still have carpet in this photo.

New:
Mitsubishi 1080p DLP 3d tv. WD-60738. Cost: $1200 (only paid $500 since the other set failed).

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

It is insane how much the prices dropped. It is also crazy that the first set only lasted 5 years before it failed.

I'll get real pictures of the new setup soon, have to clean up a bit down there, and I'm waiting for my camera to be returned.

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 19, 2010

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Click here for the full 1996x369 image.

Haven't posted in a while, still pretty ghetto setup, its a 360 view but a small room so lots of distortion.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

No comments about the projector.. its lasted forever, it was free, and works just fine for my purposes.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Puddin posted:

I don't have a picture of mine at the moment, however I had a memory of something that I may have seen here.

Was I dreaming, or was there pictures of a guy who basically built a home theatre room underground where his garage previously was and after it was finished he built his garage back on top of it.

I remember something like this on avs, I think I found it looking at hidden bookshelf doors or something. As I recall it, he dug a giant pit behind his detached garage, built stairs down to it from his garage, and then a long tunnel from his new theater pit to his existing basement where he had a motorized bookshelf on rails that slid aside to reveal the tunnel.

I think most of the major construction on it was done a few years back, I searched briefly and couldn't find the thread. The whole thing probably cost something like 50 - 100 thousand before he even got into AV components, it was pretty outrageous.

fossil005
Mar 7, 2005

Doodarazumas posted:

I remember something like this on avs, I think I found it looking at hidden bookshelf doors or something. As I recall it, he dug a giant pit behind his detached garage, built stairs down to it from his garage, and then a long tunnel from his new theater pit to his existing basement where he had a motorized bookshelf on rails that slid aside to reveal the tunnel.

I think most of the major construction on it was done a few years back, I searched briefly and couldn't find the thread. The whole thing probably cost something like 50 - 100 thousand before he even got into AV components, it was pretty outrageous.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12234

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

doppler posted:

Ino Audio pi60s + bs60
NAD 208
Denon PMA-1500AE used as a preamp
Squeezebox

Decent fittings for the absorbers are on the to-do list. A projector and screen is on the to-get list, to add some V to all the A.

That's a great coffee table - where'd you get it?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

I no longer live in a bathroom!

lg 50pj350 plasma
klipsch synergy fronts
onkyo hts5200
ps3

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Is that the same print from Kick-rear end?

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

BrettRobb posted:

That can't be comfortable to look at a screen mounted they high.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Moved into a new place and decided I wanted something that sounded better than my old sony home theatre in a box.

Did some research and then started waiting for deals on craigslist and local retailers.

View from the balcony (also the same from the bedroom and dining room)

At night:

And the new setup

40" Bestbuy brand 1080p LCD (Calibrated, temporary TV going to the bedroom)

Pioneer VSX-919-AH-K receiver
Samsung BluRay player with wifi (and usb hdd for streaming downloaded movies)
Xbox
Telus Optik signal service/pvr

Klipsch F2 Floor speakers, C2 center, S2 surrounds, and the Klipsch 12" sub

I'm running monoprice 12g speaker wire with banana plugs.

Floating shelf thing is from Ikea. I took this picture on Monday after wiring it up and hadn't had a chance to tie up the power cords.

I did the full mcacc calibration and have everything under 80hz going to the sub. The sub is turned down pretty low. If I wasnt in a condo I would turn it up more but I don't know if they can hear the sub downstairs. It's a cement floor but the sub is downfiring.

evening listening level is -25db. I haven't had any complaints. I have the sub gain at just above 1/4 gain.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I sit far enough back, and have a tilt mount. I watched back to back seasons of breaking bad on it one weekend and didnt notice any discomfort. :)

Nice system jonathan, I've taken the grills off mine since I took the photo. Its growing on me. What tv you planning on upgrading to?

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

BrettRobb posted:

lg 50pj350 plasma
klipsch synergy fronts
onkyo hts5200
ps3

Can you tell me what the company and model name of the white cable hider thing you have going to your TV?

I need something similar for my new AV setup.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Dolemite posted:

Can you tell me what the company and model name of the white cable hider thing you have going to your TV?

I saw something like that at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-4-Cable-Concealer/14913293

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

sbyers77 posted:

That can't be comfortable to look at a screen mounted they high.

It's really not so bad:

Onkyo TXSR607
Polk Blackstone TL1600 5.1 Set
LG 47LG30
Generic Toshiba DVD Player
U-Verse STB
HP SFF PC for HTPC

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 3, 2010

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BrettRobb posted:

Nice system jonathan, I've taken the grills off mine since I took the photo. Its growing on me. What tv you planning on upgrading to?

I actually leave the grills on, however it looks cooler with them off. I figure when I have guests over for movie night I'll take them off.

The tv I'm going for is this one : http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN58C550G1FXZA

The Class 5 58" plasma. I'm going to be doing a winch and air compressor setup on my jeep first though, so I might wait for the new year before I pull the trigger on a big tv.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

BattleHork posted:

I saw something like that at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-4-Cable-Concealer/14913293

Nice find. Thanks! :)

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

man thats gross posted:

I know I've seen this one before, but where is this desk from? Ikea? Looks perfect for my bedroom.

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

Dolemite posted:

You can also get wire mold at your local home improvement store. http://www.legrand.us/wiremold

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Bigdee4933 posted:

You can also get wire mold at your local home improvement store. http://www.legrand.us/wiremold

I'm not far from a Hope Depot. I'll have to swing by there when it's time. Thanks. :)

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Acer 720p projector
LG 1080p 32" TV
Denon 1610 receiver
OR front speakers
Sony center and surround speakers
Homebuilt HTPC, Wii, Samsung Blu-Ray, Handan DVR

I'll upgrade the projector when this one breaks, it's now 2 years old. Current one is a little bit too loud to be really nice. As it is, 720p is surprisingly enjoyable to look at even if I'd prefer 1080p. To be rich...

Cable management could be better. At least the surround speakers and projector had their signal cables installed inside white plastic channels. Also the projector has a power socket near it.

Generally speaking the equipment I have is pretty cheap, the whole setup barring cabling and painting the wall was somewhere around $2000 (edit: I recalculated and it's around $2600 if you count Wii and HTPC. So it's pretty expensive after all). I prefer to use money for content rather than hardware.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 30, 2010

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie
I think Im done for a Home Theater upgrades for awhile.

Stoner Mode

Samsung 55b8500
Denon 2311ci
Energy Speakers (Fronts - CF-50, Center - CC-10, Surround - CB-5, Sub - ESWC10)
Popcorn Hour C-200
Acer Easystore Server (8 TB)
Xbox360
PS3
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 1100 remote
Cyron lighting

SatanX fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 2, 2010

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What stand is that on the left? Great setup by the way.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

What stand is that on the left? Great setup by the way.

Thanks.

I just got it. Z-Series 5-Shelf Audio Rack. On sale for $177. Very sturdy.

http://www.amazon.com/Z-Series-5-Shelf-Audio-Rack-Black/dp/B000PT0EQ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1288712598&sr=1-1

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the Z Series stuff is pretty nice, I have a black glass TV stand from them and I love it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

also thanks for the Cyron link, moving into a newly built apartment soon and might want to put these on my new entertainment center and desk.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

Photex posted:

also thanks for the Cyron link, moving into a newly built apartment soon and might want to put these on my new entertainment center and desk.

Dont buy it from Amazon. Sam's Club.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=197703&navAction=

$129 vs $77.62

At that price, its worth it.

If you set them up, try the slow fade. True stonervision.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

For any of those that have never seen theater lights in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-NSYHzGs0

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Are you controlling that? I imagine it would be distracting while watching something if they kept changing colors.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

Are you controlling that? I imagine it would be distracting while watching something if they kept changing colors.

The lights have many options.

You can have solid colors (2 different whites (good for movies), blue, red, green, purple). Then you have 3 speeds of fade (Slowest in video). You can pause the fade at any moment for any color you want.

I use the slow fade for music listining.

There are also 2 music functions (they strobe to music). You'll try it for all of 3 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

The audio stand is temporary going to be replaced with http://www.totallyfurniture.com/rta-avm-005b.html to match the tv stand.

Panasonic TC-P50S1
Denon AVR-2310CI
Pioneer Speakers (SP-FS51-LR fronts, SP-C21 Center, SW-8 Sub)
Klipsch Cinema 10s for the rears
PS3, Wii, 360 slim I liek gaem
Ion HTPC hiding next to the ps3