Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Black88GTA posted:

:barf: Looks like I'm gonna need to do a little cleaning up.

How bad is that? I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I figured the cross-member was an inch-thick mousse of oil and sand/road fines.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Got my new radiator. My dad got me a discount on one from his work for $70 as opposed to the $120 AutoZone wanted. His mechanic also quoted me at $400 for a head gasket replacement. I need to call him back and ask how much to do the head gasket, timing belt and water pump all at once. Currently making a list of everything I need. ARP head studs, OEM head gasket, not sure what timing belt to use though, I need to do a little more research.

\/\/\/ Thanks.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 28, 2010

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got my new radiator. My dad got me a discount on one from his work for $70 as opposed to the $120 AutoZone wanted. His mechanic also quoted me at $400 for a head gasket replacement. I need to call him back and ask how much to do the head gasket, timing belt and water pump all at once. Currently making a list of everything I need. ARP head studs, OEM head gasket, not sure what timing belt to use though, I need to do a little more research.

OEM timing belt should be fine unless you're running stiffer valve springs or oversize cams

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Black88GTA posted:

Wait, what? What the gently caress is this poo poo? :gonk:

WHY THE gently caress IS MY CRANK PULLEY EATING THE PLASTIC? Does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm no Subaru/SVX expert, but it looks like that plastic cover isn't fully secured allowing it to sit on the pulley. You probably have a loose bolt, the part of the shield that secures against the bolt is cracked or the shield is warped.

Solution: get rid of the shield. Its probably not doing anything other than making the engine bay look pretty anyways.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Black88GTA, you in all likelihood could have just unbolted the A/C compressor and zip-tied it out of the way. Unless it was broken.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Geoj posted:

I'm no Subaru/SVX expert, but it looks like that plastic cover isn't fully secured allowing it to sit on the pulley. You probably have a loose bolt, the part of the shield that secures against the bolt is cracked or the shield is warped.

Solution: get rid of the shield. Its probably not doing anything other than making the engine bay look pretty anyways.

Yeah, shooting his timing will be easy without it. :rolleyes:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Splizwarf posted:

I'm sure setting timing off of a piece of plastic that is damaged and is clearly not sitting correctly is going to be accurate...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Geoj posted:

I'm sure setting timing off of a piece of plastic that is damaged and is clearly not sitting correctly is going to be accurate...

Which is why I implied that he needed to repair/replace it rather than deleting it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Put a bigger and tinted aeroscreen on. It's supposed to keep air from enturbulating all in the cabin area. It was windy today, but I only took it up to about 45 mph after installing it. It seemed to improve wind noise, which is what I was shooting for.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Splizwarf posted:

They don't have a distributor. Or an adjustable cam sensor.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Baby Hitler posted:

They don't have a distributor. Or an adjustable cam sensor.

Fair enough, I don't know enough about Subarus to recognize that. I went off the fact that there's timing marks. Are the marks just a vestigial thing from an older ignition design?

jshoreflyer
Jan 19, 2009

Oh You Wan Taste Rainbow? Skittle No Good Only Rice An Noodle!
I changed the oil in my Chevy Cobalt SS today and its the first time its had synthetic put in the engine. Now it shakes when turning off the ignition :ese: drat another thing for me to figure out

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

loving A, that is so listenable and makes the video hypnotic. Nice.

Thanks! I'm going to see if I can get a video with proper sound working this weekend.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

I figured the cross-member was an inch-thick mousse of oil and sand/road fines.

This is correct. Unbelievable amounts of sludge. The pic doesn't really do it justice.

Geoj posted:

All bolts were in, and all were tight. Consensus on the big SVX forum is that the cover is probably warped - apparently they tend to do that, and aftermarket pulleys (which I have) seem to exacerbate the problem. So, a new one will be installed. $65 from the dealer, but I don't like reinstalling the hosed up one. I thought briefly about running without it, but there's a lot of poo poo going on behind there:

One well-placed rock or piece of road debris would have the potential to completely ruin my day without the cover in place.

Baby Hitler posted:

Black88GTA, you in all likelihood could have just unbolted the A/C compressor and zip-tied it out of the way. Unless it was broken.

The A/C system has had a problem ever since I bought the car where the refrigerant leaks out and has to be recharged each season. When I was messing around with stuff in the engine bay a while back, I slightly nudged one of the hardlines connecting to the compressor and it started hissing. :sigh: Whoever had this car apart before me apparently reassembled it without O-rings in the fittings. So the A/C system was empty and had to be taken apart for resealing anyway, plus I wanted to clean up and repaint the pulley / bracket while it was out.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
:mad:

Finally fixed the power steering leak I've been chasing after for a few weeks.

Cheap o-ring replacements did me in on the high pressure lines on the steering box. The 2nd set didn't seal worth of poo poo, and wound up getting Vitron o-rings and those did the job.

Third times the charm I guess.
No dripping with the brakes applied or steering lock to lock. I'll know tomorrow since , hopefully I'm going up into the mountains off road :tinfoil: Better bring spare hose and spare PS fluid.

gently caress, when I did these jobs in the past I had no problem using generic o-rings.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 29, 2010

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

kimbo305 posted:

Put a bigger and tinted aeroscreen on. It's supposed to keep air from enturbulating all in the cabin area. It was windy today, but I only took it up to about 45 mph after installing it. It seemed to improve wind noise, which is what I was shooting for.

You can get clear inserts for the seat headrests that black the cold air stream from the back of your next, it really makes a difference when driving in the winter

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Recieved my R32 calipers today for my mk4 gti. Just gotta save up for the discs now, oh god the price.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Picked up a Polk 12" subwoofer from cowboom.com, a lovely wiring kit from Walmart, a used sub box, and dug out the lovely Dual "460 watt" (when lightning strikes maybe) amp I had leftover from my Integra.

Didn't even know if the amp still worked, haven't hooked it up in 5 years. But it does. And my stereo has a nice kick to it now, though it'd probably kick a bit nicer with a decent amp.

In retrospect, I really wish I'd paid someone to run the + wire from the battery, or maybe removed the drivers seat first. Screwed up my back pretty good trying to drill a hole in the firewall and pull the wire through it. Every other car I've had I was able to sneak the wires through an existing grommet, not this one.

Tomorrow.. motor mounts. :suicide:

alexnessie
Jun 12, 2005

[.........Elysium.........]
After fitting my new gearbox and clutch, I drove 15 miles, whereupon the new gearbox decided "gently caress this" and 2nd gear shattered.

The bang it made was so loud I thought I'd been shot.

My car has done more miles in the past month attached to the back of an RAC recovery van than it's done under it's own power, and has just reached the point where it's cost double the purchase price in repairs and parts.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I planned to change my transfer case fluid since there's no record of the PO ever having done it. Good idea, right? Except the socket I need is special order everywhere I've looked and the nearest dealer only had one quart of fluid.

So instead I decided to detail my wheels, which the PO had chromed. They were apparently not chromed well, as what was a few spots of discoloration on one wheel is now numerous spots of discoloration on three wheels. Chrome polish ain't touching it. :suicide:

This goes nicely with last weekend, when "I'll just change this resistor" turned into a dealer warranty appointment to replace the blower motor, resistor, and half the wiring harness. I think this may all be penance for selling my old Jeep instead of replacing the diff.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Winter tires are on, which guarantees nice weather never getting below freezing for all of November. Oh well, I'll be ahead of the curve on my slightly melted tires (not really, it's unlikely to get that warm...).

Now I'm off to buy beer to uh, test the mounting, uh, yeah.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Installed a graphic equalizer cassette stereo from an XT6 in my '86 Subaru XT, which subsequently added 10% more 1980s to the car. I'll put my CB radio on top of the dash where it'll impale my face in a crash, or mount it on the side of the console like an old car phone. Or have the CB on the dash AND install an obsolete car phone. Mmm, outgassing plastic.

The 1980 Mercedes 300cd got an oil change, dirt scrubbed out of the wheel wells with simple green & a brillo pad. I'll pull the block & radiator drain plugs later as it's been 2 years since the last coolant change.

Also replaced the XT's battery, which was 3 years old and leaking acid everywhere. NAPA gave me $30 off since it was still under warranty, so $40 total for a new one.

MATLAB 1988 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 30, 2010

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
'94 E36 - replaced ratty old center armrest and dirty tan console with a near-pristine black unit from a '98 328. For laughs, had the car appraised at Carmax to help my cover story about being interested in a 135. $800.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Changed the fuel filter in my 540i. The original was still in there at 148,000 miles. Washed it and detailed the engine bay a bit. Taught my 16 year old how to do everything we were working on and how the right tool makes the job easier, in this case a panel removal tool to take out the plastic rivets holding the underbody cover on over the fuel pump as well as hose clamps.

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.
This weekend I officially stored my rx8 for the winter. Tires over-inflated, fuel stabilizer, wash + wax etc. I was told I should do an oil change but I just had one done 1500km ago. It should be ok..

I also had a chance to sand, fill, and paint the rust holes on the winter beater integra. It also received a wash, polish and wax and looks pretty good for a 14 year old car that the previous owner never washed and stored outdoors.

Today, I washed, clay-bared, polished, and waxed my parents mazda3. It looks like it just came out of the showroom :D

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

10000lbsofbananas posted:

This weekend I officially stored my rx8 for the winter. Tires over-inflated, fuel stabilizer, wash + wax etc. I was told I should do an oil change but I just had one done 1500km ago. It should be ok..

Oil has a limited life once its been poured, which is why oil change intervals are quoted as "__ months or ___ thousand miles."

I always do an oil change as soon as I take my car out of winter storage, and I don't see how doing it before would be anything more than a waste of oil.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Went out for my second Auto-X ever in the Yaris. Such a nice crew to race with in Tucson! And I managed to place 2nd in PAX scores in the Novice category this time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnicqsH8cnM

I'm starting to feel a minor addiction come on.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Winter tires are on, which guarantees nice weather never getting below freezing for all of November. Oh well, I'll be ahead of the curve on my slightly melted tires (not really, it's unlikely to get that warm...).
Tell me about it, I put mine on a month ago and it was irrationally warm all month. The mornings it has been plenty cold for them but otherwise I have been driving my truck around just to save tires...I'm waiting till there is snow next year as I will have two fully dedicated wheel/tire sets after this winter.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

tonedef131 posted:

Tell me about it, I put mine on a month ago and it was irrationally warm all month. The mornings it has been plenty cold for them but otherwise I have been driving my truck around just to save tires...I'm waiting till there is snow next year as I will have two fully dedicated wheel/tire sets after this winter.
So I post that thing about it unlikely to get too warm, and CBC is predicting 18 loving Celsius on Friday. I don't usually drive during the week, I walk to work, but I'm definately not hitting the roads if it's that goddam hot on Friday.

C'mon winter, what the gently caress!?! I want snow, dammit!

Podothehobbit posted:

Went out for my second Auto-X ever in the Yaris. Such a nice crew to race with in Tucson! And I managed to place 2nd in PAX scores in the Novice category this time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnicqsH8cnM

I'm starting to feel a minor addiction come on.
OK, you autocrossed a Yaris, and your friend a Cadillac. Fuckin' AI right there.
And you're right, it is quite addictive.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Smogged my car today. Tech somehow broke the fuel door, it won't stay closed.

Finally changed my passenger side motor mount. It was vibrating "slightly".

That's supposed to be one piece right?

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I replaced the old 35w HIDzz with brand new and working 55w HIDzz. When I hit the lights and tried to started the car, one of the old ballasts couldn't take it and flickered for a few seconds before blowing the headlight fuse, which I assume means something in the ballast went horribly wrong. The battery had poo poo the bed and was outputting something like 10.5v. On an Evo, it seems that the bumper must come off to change your regular headlight bulbs because there wasn't nearly enough clearance to see the backs of the bulbs let alone get my hand in there, which means the light needs to come out and 2 of the bolts are behind the bumper. Thankfully the PO (or whoever he hired) was a lovely electrician and cut off the stock plugs on the harness, which I would've otherwise been able to use with my kit. At least he soldered instead of using vampire taps or just twisting them together. I don't like to hack up a harness if I can avoid it, though.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 3, 2010

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Put in a new battery and changed the oil. The list of things that need to be fixed keeps growing, not reducing.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Finally got my little £300 shitrat out on the track today. It did very well indeed, no issues at all and it had no problem with the 70 miles each way to and from the track either. Great fun, and now I can't wait to do it again.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Awesome pics. It's something I'd really love to have a go at myself.

jshoreflyer
Jan 19, 2009

Those pics are sweet and its a nice looking car. How much hp does the hello kitty sticker add? :p

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took it hunting. Tagged a 10 point buck, but unfortunately I only broke its back legs and it dragged itself into a field.

Getindachoppa!
Aug 21, 2005
Go! Now!
Got a bath and winter tires:

Click here for the full 1142x683 image.

jshoreflyer
Jan 19, 2009

Thank god I thought I was the only Cobalt SS Sedan owner on the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getindachoppa!
Aug 21, 2005
Go! Now!

jshoreflyer posted:

Thank god I thought I was the only Cobalt SS Sedan owner on the planet

I've only seen one other on the road, I think the sedan only ran for the 2009 MY didn't it?