Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My picks this time:

Paths of Glory Blu
Modern Times Blu
The Night of the Hunter Blu

Probably going to save Von Sternberg silents for next pay day.

I'd really like to get The Darjeeling Limited and Seven Samurai, but I'm trying to stick to stuff not in my collection yet. Modern Times is an exception since I have the ancient Image edition, which is very windowboxed and looks weak on a 16x9 display.

For what it's worth, The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus, 8 1/2, Playtime, M, Yojimbo, The 400 Blows, and Stagecoach are all essentials on BluRay. Great movies, excellent transfers, and lots of supplements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I can't bite the bullet on 400 Blows, I just don't want to own two copies of the same movie and there's no way I'm getting rid of the Doinel box. Although now that I've bought Psycho on Blu, I guess I've already set a precedent.

Ah gently caress it, I'm waiting for the next sale. With all these awesome new releases, money is just too tight at the moment. I just hope the ones I was considering don't go OOP in the meantime.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

My picks this time:

Paths of Glory Blu
Modern Times Blu
The Night of the Hunter Blu

For what it's worth, The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus, 8 1/2, Playtime, M, Yojimbo, The 400 Blows, and Stagecoach are all essentials on BluRay. Great movies, excellent transfers, and lots of supplements.

thank you for the recommendations! i have every one of those 'essentials' on blu already with the exception of Yojimbo. My decision now is whether to pick up Yojimbo/Sanjuro together or just get the film by itself...
my basement got flooded this past summer and wrecked a bunch of my Criterion cases... its a shame to have The Third Man & Stagecoach hidden away in a dvd-binder.. :(

strongly agree with The Red Shoes, my god that just looks beautiful on blu. i would also put Last Year at Marienbad and Days of Heaven in that category.
also on the fence with whether to blind-buy Hausu or not..

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

friendo55 posted:

also on the fence with whether to blind-buy Hausu or not..

Do it!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

friendo55 posted:

my basement got flooded this past summer and wrecked a bunch of my Criterion cases... its a shame to have The Third Man & Stagecoach hidden away in a dvd-binder.. :(

God that sucks, those are such beautiful covers.

EDIT: Buy House.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'll be picking up Night of the Hunter, Seven Samurai, Paths of Glory, Hausu, and maybe The Magician (which I want to own but don't need to have ASAP - but I might as well get it while it's cheap).

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got done with House. If I had to list the 5 best Criterion Blu-Rays, this is the only one I'm certain would be on there off the top of my head. Best $13 I ever spent.

edit: I lied, I know Marienbad would be another.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

penismightier posted:

God that sucks, those are such beautiful covers.

EDIT: Buy House.

believe me i know... the good news out of this is, i was able to claim all the stuff that got wrecked through insurance so I made money back on movies that technically were never ruined.. though as we all know, the covers & booklets are just as much the collection as the movie itself.

i've almost purchased the OOP Third Man on EBay just so i can have that cover back! gahh..

ALSO, this overwhelming instant feedback is good enough for me. House is purchased.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

friendo55 posted:

believe me i know... the good news out of this is, i was able to claim all the stuff that got wrecked through insurance so I made money back on movies that technically were never ruined.. though as we all know, the covers & booklets are just as much the collection as the movie itself.

i've almost purchased the OOP Third Man on EBay just so i can have that cover back! gahh..

ALSO, this overwhelming instant feedback is good enough for me. House is purchased.

Are you talking about the Blu-Ray? I have a spare original Third Man case left over from when Criterion sent me that awesome plastic case replacement.

If you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 1, 2010

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Sporadic posted:

Are you talking about the Blu-Ray? I have a spare original Third Man case left over from when Criterion sent me that awesome plastic case replacement.

If you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

i've been meanin to buy the platinum upgrade anyway..
now's as good of a time as ever.

yes, i meant the blu-ray! and thank you!
expect a msg sometime before the day's over [its 5pm for me right now]

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

friendo55 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQtK33C-KrQ#t=3m47s

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

friendo55 posted:

i've been meanin to buy the platinum upgrade anyway..
now's as good of a time as ever.

yes, i meant the blu-ray! and thank you!

You don't have to buy platinum. You can just email me at mrsporadic (at) yahoo (dot) com and we can work it out.

I also have The Last Emperor case if you need that one too.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Is there any point of buying the DVDs of some of these Criterion releases? Or should I hold out for the Blu-Rays? What about the Essential Art House? I have seen the 400 Blows and Le Jour se Leve with that collection, and I didn't notice any quality difference; just the lack of extras.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

that was wonderful lol dare I ask what show that is?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Darkplace

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Twin Cinema posted:

What about the Essential Art House? I have seen the 400 Blows and Le Jour se Leve with that collection, and I didn't notice any quality difference; just the lack of extras.

As I recall the transfers are identical. I keep holding out hope that they'll release a Battle of Algiers EAH but such a release might deflate sales of the main title.

Related: was Pygmalion a title whose rights reverted to Studio Canal or did Criterion just put their DVD out of print when the practically identical EAH replaced it? (The EAH remains available.)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Probably going to preorder Antichrist and buy House. Really want The Thin Red Line, Paths of Glory and Night of the Hunter too but this isn't healthy.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Took it easy this time around and only ordered a few (for now). Ordered a few favourites: House, Seven Samurai and The Thin Red Line and took a chance on blind-buying The Magician, it seems right up my alley.

I might go back for Repulsion despite it not being one of my favourite Polanski films and I might also order Night of the Hunter if it's released while the sale is still on.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

My haul...

* House
* Seven Samurai
* Modern Times
* The Thin Red Line
* Antichrist
* Crumb

All Blus. I'm double-dipping on "Seven Samurai", but I don't mind seeing as how it's quite possibly my favorite film of all time. I'd like to get more, but with the holidays coming up I'm pretty sure I've already spent more on myself than I should. :sweatdrop:

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Sporadic posted:

You don't have to buy platinum. You can just email me at mrsporadic (at) yahoo (dot) com and we can work it out.

I also have The Last Emperor case if you need that one too.

lettin ya know that an email has been sent.

Also, purchases so far:
Hausu [blu]
Seven Samurai [blu]
Charade [blu]
Paths of Glory [blu]

Night of the Hunter [blu]
Modern Times [blu]
Scenes From A Marriage
The Passion of the Joan of Arc

mightttt get 1 more order of 4 in there, we'll see!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
As a Canadian, I just put in my order. I was surprised to see such cheap shipping, and the exchange rate is nearly even now. I already ordered House last week when it was 40% off, because I couldn't wait any longer.

DVD:
Do the Right Thing
Essential Art House: Volume Two
Hoop Dreams
The Human Condition
Ingmar Bergman: Four Masterworks

Blu-Ray:
Antichrist
Breathless
Crumb
Modern Times
Seven Samurai
Yojimbo/Sanjuro

I didn't get everything I wanted, but I have enough here to last me a few weeks.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Starscream posted:

I might also order Night of the Hunter if it's released while the sale is still on.
It will be. The sale ends on the 21st. Two days before America Lost and Found :(. Oh well, it's a good deal regardless.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I wish Rashomon was on Bluray. I already have everything I really want pretty much so I guess I'm just gonna pick up Night of the Hunter and Paths of Glory. I didn't hold out for this sale at ALL. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, B&N is also giving out 2-month trial memberships.

edit: Doesn't look like the extra 10% off applies to the Criterions. :(

Also ordered Modern Times and A Canterbury Tale on DVD for my movie buff uncle and aunt for Christmas. :)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 2, 2010

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Egbert Souse posted:

edit: Doesn't look like the extra 10% off applies to the Criterions. :(

Oh, it totally does... at least in store. Blus come out to $13.91 after tax for me when using the $5 off coupon.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can still get an extra 10% off online by ordering through their library store.

http://www.bn.com/library

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
Just got back from the sale.

Picked up:
For All Mankind
Paths of Glory
Darjeeling Limited
Bottle Rocket
Days of Heaven
Seven Samurai
Thin Red Line

all on Blu.

I really wanted to pick up Last Year at Marienbad and a couple other blind buys but alas I got nervous :ohdear:

I've read all your guys' lists and really want to take a leap but based on what I bought what would you recommend I go back and get before the sale is over?

*Thin Red Line EDIT*

William Pahllace fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 3, 2010

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.
Ordered:
Paths of Glory
Charade
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Wages of Fear
Repulsion

I'm still on the fence about House and M though. Might put in another order for those later. Is House really that good? It seems like one of those movies you'd only watch once or with a bunch of friends, am I wrong?

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

jot posted:

I'm still on the fence about House and M though. Might put in another order for those later. Is House really that good? It seems like one of those movies you'd only watch once or with a bunch of friends, am I wrong?

I first saw House a year ago. I've watched it three times since then, once as a low quality fansub, once when Janus did the limited release, and so far, once on Blu Ray. It is an entirely unique film, which is it's biggest asset (seriously, I like the movie enough that I've tried to find another like it, even one a fraction as good, and I've come up mostly empty handed. Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell is the only one worth considering). It is made by an auteur who was versed enough in the conventions of film and the horror genre that he was able to shred every cliche he touched. It has an impeccable sense of style which initially drew me in because it was so absurd and campy, but has continued to resonate with me because of the intention and sincerity behind it.

If you like horror movies, House is an essential purchase, because it is so familiar with genre conventions that it can turn them upside down. If you appreciate technical expertise in film, it's a worthwhile purchase, because Obayashi is very experimental, and he packs every technique he can into 90 minutes. If you have friends, you should own the movie, because once you show it to them, at the very least they'll want to show all of their friends. And you should buy it if you like being entertained, because even if you don't want to appreciate the nuance in camerawork or the satire on horror, it's a visually interesting and drat weird movie.

If you don't fit into any of those categories, then I guess you can skip it, though.

tickle monster fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 3, 2010

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

jot posted:

Is House really that good? It seems like one of those movies you'd only watch once or with a bunch of friends, am I wrong?

^^^ This is what I'm afraid of. I'm not really into horror and while I'd love to see it to say I saw one of the classics, I'm not sure how "ownable" it is for me...

By the way, For All Mankind is bringing tears to my eyes already! It blows me away how extraordinary the human race can be sometimes.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

At least Netflix it. Trust me, once you see it you will buy it. I saw it in the theater and had a blast.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Added The Darjeeling Limited and House to my collection, waiting on Seven Samurai and Modern Times to come in so I can snag them as well.

Considering Crumb and Gimme Shelter but I'm not sure if I need Crumb (I've seen it.. thought it was decent) or should blind buy Gimme Shelter... any thoughts pros/cons for either?

If throwing out suggestions is cool, I can't say enough about the 400 Blows, Bottle Rocket, Chungking Express, For All Mankind, and the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set... I'd recommend those to anyone. While I'm a big fan of others, such as Mystery Train, Playtime, and Stagecoach, it's harder to make a blanket recommendation on these.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

zenintrude posted:

Considering Crumb and Gimme Shelter but I'm not sure if I need Crumb (I've seen it.. thought it was decent) or should blind buy Gimme Shelter... any thoughts pros/cons for either?

I blind bought Gimme Shelter during the last sale and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a fascinating slow burn of watching the preparations and the concert itself spiral completely out of control.

I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the history of the concert or watching how organizing something seemingly as simple as a concert can go so wrong.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Night of the Hunter, Slacker and Modern Times will be hanging out at my place. I'm on the fence about a few others, like Jigoku and the Louis Malle box set. Good thing Netflix and my local library cast a wide net on Criterions to prevent too many blind buys! As much as I love beautiful cinematography and unconventional setups, Down By Law and Paris, Texas bored the bejeezus out of me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I cannot recommend Paths of Glory enough as a film. Kubrick spent his career making one masterpiece after another, but it's probably the most powerful anti-war film besides All Quiet on the Western Front. The terrifying battle scenes, the nightmarish death sentence, and stunning photography.

FYI, Rashomon, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, and Mon Oncle should be on BluRay soon. All have had recent restorations. The current DVDs are good, but the new editions will be awesome.

doctor thodt posted:

You can still get an extra 10% off online by ordering through their library store.

http://www.bn.com/library

Awesome, thanks! I'm glad I saw your post while I could still cancel and re-do.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
Solaris (one of my all time favorite films, even though its 1-2 week wait)
M Blu
House Blu
Seven Samurai Blu

$100 poorer :negative:

Yet also in a way...richer.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

friendo55 posted:

purchases so far:
Hausu [blu]
Seven Samurai [blu]
Charade [blu]
Paths of Glory [blu]

Night of the Hunter [blu]
Modern Times [blu]
Scenes From A Marriage
The Passion of the Joan of Arc

mightttt get 1 more order of 4 in there, we'll see!

just picked up my last round of movies:
Diabolique
Sansho the Bailiff
L'Avventura
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

..... im broke but i'm loving life!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I just picked up House, Paths of Glory, Seven Samurai, and The Last Emperor all on bluray. Can't wait to check them out!

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Made one last order: For All Mankind, Night of the Hunter, and Modern Times.

Can't wait till the next sale, it's going to be a test of my will power. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
Just ordered Paths of Glory and House on bluray. Despite there being great battle scenes, I'm more excited to see the trial in HD. Even on a crappy old version it's some of the best use of deep focus I've ever seen.