Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
:siren: New Strip! (like clockwork) :siren:

That's cold, Surma. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Thinking caps on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Heeey, that's entrapment!

Anyway, this development pleases me a lot, if for no other reason than Surma's character has just become much more three-dimensional. Dead mother characters seem to be a "don't sully" in most stories, and it's nice to see the comic acknowledge that she was an actual person. (It would be very interesting to me if Anthony were actually a great guy with some issues and Surma was a charismatic but manipulative person.)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, that was certainly unexpected.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Hahaha the Court is so lovely to everyone, I guess.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Am I the only one who immediately thought that Kat's mom is lying for some reason (probably to cloud the plot even more)?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Kat's mom has no reason to lie about this. She's always proven fairly honest about anything relating to Surma or Renard, probably because Surma was her best friend. Why would she lie about Surma tricking Renard when it makes Surma look like a badguy?

I have to say I like this a lot, though, I'm a fan of moral greys.

EDIT: It IS possible Kat's mom doesn't have the full story, though.

It's also interesting that from what we know, Renard refused to take Coyote's powers until after Surma tricked him like this, and then he happily accepted the offer and ran off into the court. The court couldn't have known he wasn't interested, but they kind of hosed themselves on that one.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 1, 2010

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Poor Renard :smith:

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Pick posted:

Heeey, that's entrapment!

Anyway, this development pleases me a lot, if for no other reason than Surma's character has just become much more three-dimensional. Dead mother characters seem to be a "don't sully" in most stories, and it's nice to see the comic acknowledge that she was an actual person. (It would be very interesting to me if Anthony were actually a great guy with some issues and Surma was a charismatic but manipulative person.)

Yeah, I've been consistently impressed with Surma's characterization. Back during the flashback chapter it would have been easy to write Surma as a generation xerox of Annie, but instead she was pretty much the polar opposite: Loud, emotional, aggressive, etc. She's constantly been referred to as an almost angelic figure that everyone loved, but now it's been revealed that she was willing to act underhandedly for a greater good.

It's like she's a 3-dimensional person, something which many webcomics struggle with.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

The 19th Person posted:

She's constantly been referred to as an almost angelic figure that everyone loved,

Another sign of good characterization is that most of the Surma is the bestest person ever talk is from guys that see her as the one that got away. So it would make sense they are idealizing her. Also, most of the Anthony Carver is a jerk talk is coming from the same people.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

Pick posted:

It would be very interesting to me if Anthony were actually a great guy with some issues and Surma was a charismatic but manipulative person.)

If Anthony were a great guy I don't think he'd have dropped his daughter off what has to be the most dangerous boarding school in the world and then immediately proceeded to drop off the face of the Earth.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Psych posted:

If Anthony were a great guy I don't think he'd have dropped his daughter off what has to be the most dangerous boarding school in the world and then immediately proceeded to drop off the face of the Earth.

Yeah, and what's with all those British parents during WWII sending their kids off to the country, leaving them with strangers where they might be mistreated, even sexually abused? Didn't they care? What could possibly be more important than being beside their children to nourish them during their formative years?

Context, context. Anthony might be called away because what he does is important and potentially even more dangerous than your average life at Gunnerkrigg.

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 1, 2010

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

And anyway, at least the Court isn't as bad as Hogwarts.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

Pick posted:

Yeah, and what's with all those British parents during WWII sending their kids off to the country, leaving them with strangers where they might be mistreated, even sexually abused? Didn't they care? What could possibly be more important than being beside their children to nourish them during their formative years?

Context, context. Anthony might be called away because what he does is important and potentially even more dangerous than your average life at Gunnerkrigg.

Last I checked Gunnerkrigg Court does not take place during world war III, the cell phone has been invented, mail still exists, and there are boarding schools that are not plagued with monsters.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Court probably just had Anthony kidnapped so they could test out some new strain of eyeball-eating nanites on him or some poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Psych posted:

Last I checked Gunnerkrigg Court does not take place during world war III, the cell phone has been invented, mail still exists, and there are boarding schools that are not plagued with monsters.

Way to miss the glaringly obvious point of my post, which was that we have literally no information regarding why Anthony did what he did (or even what he did outside its consequences for Antimony). In a world where First Nations trickster gods are peddling off teeth and Polish gods of the dead stalk hospital halls, there might possibly be room for a passable excuse. Just saying.

For example: Anthony has been known to disappear routinely. Perhaps Anthony does not actually exist all the time, but only on sporadic intervals.

Oh crap, forgot, they have cell phones. Silly me!

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
Absentee fathers should always be presumed guilty :colbert:.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
To be quite honest, We have absolutely no idea what Anthony's been up to the whole time. Even when he was in high school, Anthony was off doing something extremely important. What exactly was it, we got no idea. It could be for the good cause or for EVIIIIL purposes.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
The story from Anja also meshes with what Coyote said here about Renard being tricked by the court, so it's likely that it's the whole truth.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Psych posted:

You'll change your tune when it turns out he was hiding in the Court all along, waiting to transform it Autobot City-style to fight Ysengatron.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You'll change your tune when it turns out he was hiding in the Court all along, waiting to transform it Autobot City-style to fight Ysengatron.

You'll change your tune when it turns out that he was boxbot all along!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Psych posted:

You'll change your tune when it turns out that he was boxbot all along!

Antimony is half-robot? I hope we learn more about Surma, possibly an explanation of why none of the psychopomps came for her.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

farraday posted:

Antimony is half-robot? I hope we learn more about Surma, possibly an explanation of why none of the psychopomps came for her.

Wait, so now Annie's dick is a robot?

:psyduck:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Guys please this is the GC thread, the only dicks you should talk about are Ysengrin and Diego. :smith:

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
And that rear end in a top hat with the arrow!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

farraday posted:

Clearly none of the psychopomps came for her because she is a robot. Annie took her to the afterlife, thereby becoming the first psychopomp to the robot race.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fecha posted:

Guys please this is the GC thread, the only dicks you should talk about are Ysengrin and Diego. :smith:

Much as I love him, Coyote is clearly a much bigger dick than Ysengrin.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pick posted:

Much as I love him, Coyote is clearly a much bigger dick than Ysengrin.

Yeah, as wacky as he is, Coyote is a gigantic rear end in a top hat and I think has depths of assholeishness that we haven't seen. If GC ever commits to a single, epic plot, I would not be surprised if Coyote ends up being the villain.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Eh, Coyote's more a force of nature, and we're actually involved in a pretty big epic plot as it is... It just happens to be a lot of tiny threads instead of one big one.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Rei_ posted:

Eh, Coyote's more a force of nature, and we're actually involved in a pretty big epic plot as it is... It just happens to be a lot of tiny threads instead of one big one.

And in the big, epic plot, everything's already happened. We're just following Antimony around while she tries to figure it out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

Yeah, as wacky as he is, Coyote is a gigantic rear end in a top hat and I think has depths of assholeishness that we haven't seen. If GC ever commits to a single, epic plot, I would not be surprised if Coyote ends up being the villain.

He's a dick AND an rear end in a top hat?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Phy posted:

He's a dick AND an rear end in a top hat?
He's a special kind of Ouroboros.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why do I get the feeling that Annie will be packing a little stuffed wolf regardless of instructions?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Pick posted:

Why do I get the feeling that Annie will be packing a little stuffed wolf regardless of instructions?

Because they told her not to. Which means the Court actually wants her to bring him for some reason. Trickery!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I like how Anja and Kat are wearing matching bandanas. Dorkiness runs in the family, I guess.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
I don't think we can really blame Coyote for treating Ysengrin like crap. Ysengrin is a pathetic hanger on with no sense of humor and anger management issues. Whipping boy is just about the only useful function the guy can serve.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Psych posted:

I don't think we can really blame Coyote for treating Ysengrin like crap. Ysengrin is a pathetic hanger on with no sense of humor and anger management issues. Whipping boy is just about the only useful function the guy can serve.

I think he's a little smarter than you give him credit for.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=685

Or at least know when to dial back the anger and admit to a mistake.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Man, you are irrationally hard on the characters presently being cast as unsympathic, considering how little information we have and how morally grey most of the cast have been revealed to be. Remember when people felt sorry for Diego? Do you recall the response to Jack murdering the robot and trapping Renard?

Right now we get Annie's POV more than anyone's, but she doesn't know everything. Heck, in some versions of the Reynard mythos, Renard blinded Ysengrin's children.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Annie is totes gonna sneak Reynardine out of the Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Psych posted:

I'm almost certain that Ysengrin has some emotional issues in his past and that's why he's the way he is today. Not just the suit of armor, his behavior and attitude is a way of protecting his own vulnerability.