Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Lot 49 posted:

Also Dispatches sounds too brutal for me tonight:

I know for a fact that I'll switch over to football at the first ad break and not have the fortitude to go back.

Oh, oh my god, watching this just now and I really don't know if I can anymore. The last scene before the ad break showed a dead-eyed little waif of a 16 year old injecting herself with heroin. It's just so desperate and sad and awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

As has been mentioned, Skins is a fantasy of being a British teenager, watch the simply amazing Inbetweeners for a much more realistic version which you will probably be able to relate to more easily. It really is an excellent and very well observed comedy.

My childhood was pretty lacking in fish related violence, fights with disabled kids, accidental flashing, etc. The Inbetweeners is unrealistic in exactly the same way skins is, it puts realistic characters in exaggerated scenarios that convey how excruciatingly awkward and embarrassing secondary school can be. It's just that Skins does it for emotions other than embarrassment and is consequently a much better show (S1&2 only).

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Get Some In, late seventies comedy about National Service RAF Airmen on YouTube now up to series five.

There is an interview on Youtube with the witer Harlan Ellison back in the 70's where he praises British shows, but was shocked at the level of racism that Get Some In had. He was amazed at the use of the term "Chinky Bint". He said that the UK had some highs and lows but you only see the best stuff imported on PBS. He wrote books about TV called the Glass Teat and a sequel to that that people hail as really good and even prescient about the nature of TV.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Danny Mac's poem is the most amazing thing ever. Someone transcribe it for me. Amazing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

FelchTragedy posted:

There is an interview on Youtube with the witer Harlan Ellison back in the 70's where he praises British shows, but was shocked at the level of racism that Get Some In had. He was amazed at the use of the term "Chinky Bint". He said that the UK had some highs and lows but you only see the best stuff imported on PBS. He wrote books about TV called the Glass Teat and a sequel to that that people hail as really good and even prescient about the nature of TV.

Double edged sword with our old telly, I swore it was cheeky when I heard said phrase due to the accents. I can't watch Love Thy Neighbor despite it being excellent because of the white neighbors racism makes me cringe.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Double edged sword with our old telly, I swore it was cheeky when I heard said phrase due to the accents. I can't watch Love Thy Neighbor despite it being excellent because of the white neighbors racism makes me cringe.

At least we were meant to think Eddie is a racist fuckhead and total twat, unlike a lot of American TV of the same vintage such as Diff'rent Strokes which really was racist through and through.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, the Corporal who spouted such stunning lines is horrible bitter little man anyways.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

My childhood was pretty lacking in fish related violence, fights with disabled kids, accidental flashing, etc. The Inbetweeners is unrealistic in exactly the same way skins is, it puts realistic characters in exaggerated scenarios that convey how excruciatingly awkward and embarrassing secondary school can be. It's just that Skins does it for emotions other than embarrassment and is consequently a much better show (S1&2 only).

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Tardstar posted:

What the hell is this?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gentlemen please we all know what the superior show is about mid teenage life.

Obviously Grange Hill is the winner.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Gentlemen please we all know what the superior show is about mid teenage life.

Obviously Grange Hill is the winner.

Byker Grove man. Also Coppers on C4 was a depressing insight into life at "custody suites".

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
Nobody talking about The Trip?

I thought that it was pretty good for a series opener, the impressions went on for a little bit too long though. Definitely enough to make me want to carry on watching it.

It also got me even more excited for the first Alan Partridge clip due out this Friday.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

keveh posted:

I thought that it was pretty good for a series opener, the impressions went on for a little bit too long though. Definitely enough to make me want to carry on watching it.

It also got me even more excited for the first Alan Partridge clip due out this Friday.

Think it is a pretty dubious concept for a show, but it was kind of interesting to watch and made me laugh a few times. I did get the impression Coogan was close to corpsing a few times though (at least I heard it's improvised rather than scripted).

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

It's just that Skins does it for emotions other than embarrassment and is consequently a much better show (S1&2 only).

Digital skateboard turd spliff text trilby swearing indie-rock community police ponce pub lady.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

quote:

Stuff about The Trip

Here's an interesting article about the relationship between Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/oct/26/steve-coogan-rob-brydon

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Is it me, or is there an awful lot of Misfits adverts on the side of buses all of a sudden?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Rathen posted:

Danny Mac's poem is the most amazing thing ever. Someone transcribe it for me. Amazing.

I concurr. I wasn't going to watch Coppers as I figured it would be just Daily Mail fodder, and I don't really have much respect for the scuffers to start with ( and lo, it was to be), but for a smackhead that was incredible. Also, when he was pulling faces like some satanic Pob ( who is pretty scary to begin with) nearly split my sides. Thers a gif there, just waiting to be made.

The coppers were cunts though, and yes, I know it is wearying to deal with scum everyday. But having someone in a position of authority who uses the phrase 'human rights' with the same expression on their face I would have if you waved a lollystick coated in dog poo poo under my nose? No ta, build your time machine and go see the Waffen recruiting sargent.

Sorry to any coppers in the thread, I know you are not all alike, but I have seen quite a few friends turn into massive pricks once they joined up.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

keveh posted:

Felt pretty much exactly the same. The impressions were funny, but seemed like they were on that scene for over half the shows length (Rob Brydon's Michael Caine was much better than Coogans). I'll definitely be tuning in for the next one.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I liked the trip. Plus it was filmed near where I grew up, awesome dudez! Looks like they're playing it pretty straight, glad there's not much north baiting as there seems to be in more or less everything else.

Psychoville was good. The semi-disabled guy obsessed with serial killers seemed a little more intelligent than normal, but it was a dream so that's okay.

Not really related but there was recently this story on the bbc site about an exploding collar, which is interesting to read. There's a bit in it a little later where he mentions that the rant of a bipolar woman as hilarious, which I e-mailed him about saying 'i dont know if you can say that' kind of thing and he e-mailed me back saying 'you're right' but it hasn't been altered or anything. Not that it really offends me, I just thought it strange that it was both there and I felt the need to point it out to the journalist. But I was drunk whilst I was doing it so that's alright. Whatever.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I had no idea Him off of This Life and Teachers was the main character in The Walking Dead.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Junkenstein posted:

I had no idea Him off of This Life and Teachers was the main character in The Walking Dead.

When was that on?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Walking Dead was on Halloween in America and it's on FX on Friday over here, as delays go it's pretty small.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Ratjaculation posted:

Digital skateboard turd spliff text trilby swearing indie-rock community police ponce pub lady.

I miss A&J :(

I loved The Trip, but then again there's nothing more enjoyable to me than 2 comedians bantering back and forth about nothing.

Has any one been keeping up with AIOTM? It's been brilliant recently, but wouldn't make any sense unless you've listened to all previous & the Collings and Herrin podcast...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

thebardyspoon posted:

Walking Dead was on Halloween in America and it's on FX on Friday over here, as delays go it's pretty small.

It got excellent ratings as well, so unless there's a big drop off I expect it'll easily get a second series.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It was confirmed for a second season ages ago, the first is only a half season, six episodes.

Enjoyed the Trip. It wasn't mind blowing or anything but it was good natured fun.

Who's hosting buzzcocks this week?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Buzzcocks is Jack Dee.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, I was kind of thrown with that too. Same with Combo from off of This is England playing Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire. I think this means they both count as British shows now. Oh, both Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead are fantastic. Watch them when they are on!

I really enjoyed The Trip, but I'm a big Coogan/Brydon fan. It's nice to see Coogan not doing lovely American films for the time being.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
hollyoaks using nick cave for their advert? i dread to say that it is luring me into watching it.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

King Crab posted:

hollyoaks using nick cave for their advert? i dread to say that it is luring me into watching it.

I was transfixed by that advert until it said Hollyoaks then I got angry that it had the audacity to entertain me.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Has anyone in here watched Single Father? I haven't watched it but everyone on my Facebook is going crazy for it, am thinking of checking it out cause I quite like David Tennant.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

DaWolfey posted:

I was transfixed by that advert until it said Hollyoaks then I got angry that it had the audacity to entertain me.

Hollyoaks tends to play some quite cool music. They had some lovely dream sequence with M83 playing over it last year, I remember :)

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Hey, Dobby was in that Alan Davies sitcom I didn't watch. Was this actually not poo poo or something?

edit: Oh, and that woman from the IT crowd who's in everything. Probably poo poo, nevermind.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Theshby posted:

Hey, Dobby was in that Alan Davies sitcom I didn't watch. Was this actually not poo poo or something?

edit: Oh, and that woman from the IT crowd who's in everything. Probably poo poo, nevermind.

I watched a couple and found them watchable enough. I'll probably watch the rest at some point :geno:

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
I enjoyed Whites, thought it was a pretty decent show.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just in case you haven't noticed the massive coverage it's receiving in the press, The Walking Dead starts tomorrow on FX.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Whites was really really good and I hope it gets a second series.

Speaking of Davies, just about to finish a Jonathan Creek marathon, as I've never watched it before. It's bloody brilliant, and features bonus Emma Kennedy in a bath of porridge oats.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

thehustler posted:

Speaking of Davies, just about to finish a Jonathan Creek marathon, as I've never watched it before. It's bloody brilliant, and features bonus Emma Kennedy in a bath of porridge oats.

Jonathan Creek is bloody brilliant. I did something similar to you, my girlfriend had watched a good few episodes and I'd never seen it, so got the box set and watched one or two a night.

I think that they are shooting a new series soon, or may actually be in the process already. Can't wait!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

keveh posted:

Jonathan Creek is bloody brilliant. I did something similar to you, my girlfriend had watched a good few episodes and I'd never seen it, so got the box set and watched one or two a night.

I think that they are shooting a new series soon, or may actually be in the process already. Can't wait!
that's good news, I love Jonathan Creek

I can never guess any of the mysteries though :negative:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Whites is decent to watch yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

that's good news, I love Jonathan Creek

I can never guess any of the mysteries though :negative:

I guessed the one that was lifted from duck soup, was properly proud of that.

The quality seamed to drop off after Ali Bongo stopped acting as a consultant. I'll still watch any new ones that come out though.