Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Hey, there's an airplane channel on IRC called #plaens (on irc.synirc.net). Join if you want to talk about things that scoot through the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Remote control scale model V-22 Osprey makes a couple Helicopter/Airplane mode transitions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ySVGx71SSI

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
More aircraft cupholder goodness:

Cupholder by Radar display at Nav's station:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Cupholder by Co-Pilot's right knee

There was one by the Pilot's left knee

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Those are the same goddamned cupholders the Army trucks have in our GSA sales.

I loving hate those.

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005

Colonel K posted:

I believe this is true AI.

Kenyan Does six months intensive research on the internet, then makes his own light aircraft. Here's hoping this one actually makes it up and doesnt end up like the previous two kenyan attempts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujU1DjaYfs4&

Judging by the nosewheel it could be some time before the aircraft is anywhere near reaching take off speed.

Well, here's an update (nothing spectacular):

Kenyan homebuilt aircraft followup

Even if it's Kenya, they do have laws. Plane must inspected and conform to regulations, and the pilot needs a licence. Not that I think it will keep our DaVinci here on the ground.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Jeece posted:

Not that I think it will keep our DaVinci here out of the ground.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
That report lists the aircraft weight at 800 Kg which is about double the weight of a Cessna 152. I also did't see any sort of control stick and he is using an ebrake lever as a throttle.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

2ndclasscitizen posted:

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Don't have this in higher res do you?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tremblay posted:

No sorry :( Got it from a comment on Jalopnik.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Jeece posted:

Well, here's an update (nothing spectacular):

I'm sort of dissapointed now. I would have loved to see the video of it trundling down a strip somewhere to see if it showed any promise at all. Apparently the elevator is foot operated, so who knows what he's come up with for the other surfaces.

In trying to find out more about this chap I came across the Somali contingent, they have decided to go straight to rotocraft. Their cameraman also appears to be completely fearless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjL6xBBQ8ps&

e: A Nigerian has actually made one and flown it on six occasions. It may only fly to a height of seven feet but that's drat impressive.
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hV0rzEDq7TWnlm7tMmr2zeQmiRig

Colonel K fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 23, 2010

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Colonel K posted:

In trying to find out more about this chap I came across the Somali contingent, they have decided to go straight to rotocraft. Their cameraman also appears to be completely fearless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjL6xBBQ8ps&

Holy gently caress. That scared me just watching that thing fart and bang around.

Also, is it a diesel?

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts

Tremblay posted:

success!

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/SR-71/Large/EC98-44817-2.jpg

3000x2690 big enough for you?

:)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

MisterSparkle posted:

success!

Thanks! Q. The caption says it's on max afterburner; isn't that only possible for the SR-71 at supersonic speeds?

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

More aircraft cupholder goodness:

Cupholder by Radar display at Nav's station:

Cupholder by Co-Pilot's right knee

There was one by the Pilot's left knee
So which type of Herc is this that it needs a radar display?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

grover posted:

Thanks! Q. The caption says it's on max afterburner; isn't that only possible for the SR-71 at supersonic speeds?

It acts as a ramjet at high speeds.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

slidebite posted:

It acts as a ramjet at high speeds.
Yeah, that's what I meant. The turbojet doesn't have the same power or compression at low speeds as the ramjet at Mach 3.2.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ramjet effect or not, it doesn't make untrue a photo caption that basically says "SR-71 at balls to wall throttle setting".

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

grover posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. The turbojet doesn't have the same power or compression at low speeds as the ramjet at Mach 3.2.
The engine in if full afterburner. It's on the ground acting as a turbojet. Not sure what you're getting at...?

If you're saying it's not making the maximum thrust possible because it's not acting as a ram jet? You may be right as I don't know what the thrust is @ altitude, but the photo isn't saying max thrust, it's saying max burner.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Ah, OK, that makes sense. Full afterburner, but not necessarily max thrust. Same is true of any engine on a test stand, really.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tsuru posted:

So which type of Herc is this that it needs a radar display?

Probably weather radar.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

MisterSparkle posted:

success!

Thank you so much! My previous background lasted for almost 6 months, but I think this one has a shot at beating it.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

MisterSparkle posted:

success!

You sir, kick massive amounts of rear end.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Gabriel is back at it. Prepare for a somewhat dissapointing test run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-_dsNTZch0&

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The A380 has had it's first fuckup - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11691197

The engine cowling isn't supposed to do that!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy hell, that's what you call a proper engine failure. #1 poo poo a big brick in a way that neither Airbus nor Rolls Royce intended brickshitting to happen.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
as engine failures go, that's not so bad. Looks a like "just" a simple engine fire.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I always love the 'eyewitness' and passenger reports in these kinds of cases.

quote:

Others have spoken of seeing one of the wings "broken", or with a hole in it, but this has not been confirmed.

Yes. I'm sure you did.

I also love the picture of a 'smoking' engine which is actually a perfectly functional engine that is sucking in a bit of fire retardant foam.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The engine sucking water is #1, the close up is of #2 - the engine that blew up. Note the kangaroo logo on #1 and then notice how that entire part of the nacelle is missing from #2.

Flying debris causing damage to wing:

After it's done loving up the wing, it proceeds to gently caress up a van:

Rumours say that two people on the ground were injuried by debris.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I couldn't find any pictures of the wing - fair enough. I knew that it was #1 that was sucking foam and #2 that died, it just seemed a bit misleading to show the picture of #1.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Ola posted:

After it's done loving up the wing, it proceeds to gently caress up a van:

Rumours say that two people on the ground were injuried by debris.

Hell of a souvenir.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Aren't most engines designed to blow up and stay *within* the casing?

Like I remember watching someone's test video of like a brick or explosion on the first fan, and the entire thing blowing apart, but staying within the case. Anyone remember what engine that plane was on being tested?

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

dietcokefiend posted:

Like I remember watching someone's test video of like a brick or explosion on the first fan, and the entire thing blowing apart, but staying within the case. Anyone remember what engine that plane was on being tested?

From the picture of the back of that van it looks like this engine threw a compressor disc, which is very hard to contain inside the engine if it fails due to its large weight and consequent high energy.

The video you saw was probably a blade-off test, where a single fan blade comes off of the compressor or turbine, and the resulting debris is light enough to be stopped by the engine casing.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dietcokefiend posted:

I'm pretty sure that the casing is designed to be strong enough that the turbine blades won't fly out in a circular pattern. I don't see how you could design it such that everything stays inside when an engine blows.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Colonel K posted:

Oh dear god. I love they rough they are with is - tossed haphazardly into the back of a truck.
Also, 800kg? Dear god!

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 4, 2010

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Colonel K posted:

Man... even with a perfectly smooth, slight downhill runway that thing would barely get enough speed to take weight off that front tire :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www1.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/bd36c747996b02d78625777e00523051/$FILE/2010-16-07.pdf

The FAA posted:

We are adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for the products listed above. This AD results from mandatory continuing airworthiness information (MCAI) issued by an aviation authority of another country to identify and correct an unsafe condition on an aviation product. The MCAI describes the unsafe condition as:

Wear, beyond Engine Manual limits, has been identified on the abutment faces of the splines on the Trent 900 Intermediate Pressure (IP) shaft rigid coupling on several engines during strip. The shaft to coupling spline interface provides the means of controlling the turbine axial setting and wear through of the splines would permit the IP turbine to move rearwards.

Rearward movement of the IP turbine would enable contact with static turbine components and would result in loss of engine performance with potential for in-flight shut down, oil migration and oil fire below the LP turbine discs prior to sufficient indication resulting in loss of LP turbine disc integrity.

We are issuing this AD to detect rearward movement of the IP turbine, which could result in loss of disc integrity, an uncontained failure of the engine, and damage to the airplane.

Hmm. Might be related, might not be. Certainly an inconvenient coincidence.

I'm kind of glad it's not that likely to be one of the fasteners that caused the problem, obviously. I could ask one of the guys at RR for the inside track on what's happened, but I can't imagine they really want everyone and their dog badgering them about it, or accidentally telling someone something they shouldn't.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

dietcokefiend posted:

Man... even with a perfectly smooth, slight downhill runway that thing would barely get enough speed to take weight off that front tire :(

I feel that's probably very true, or that there'd be so much play in his nosewheel that it'd just shake itself to bits as it increased speed.

But I'd love to see him trundling down some form of highway on full chat just for that small chance that he might get just get off the ground a little. preferably coming to the ground with his life intact, I can't imagine the undercarriage surviving any but the finest greaser.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Nerobro posted:

as engine failures go, that's not so bad. Looks a like "just" a simple engine fire.

Still, it's not something Airbus wanted to have happen, especially when a carrier publicly grounds their flagship product in response to an uncontained engine failure.

Over the last few years, Airbus has had the A380 delivery delays (including being forced to cancel the freighter version), the loss of the Air France A340 and subsequent revelations of icing issues in A340 pitot masts, the constant schedule and budget overruns with the A400M, and changing the A350 design every five minutes in attempt to copy the 787.

As screwed up as Boeing's 787 schedule has been so far, they still have yet to reach the "piss off a customer and have to cancel an entire production variant" Airbus hit a few years ago with the A380.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Ola posted:

The engine sucking water is #1, the close up is of #2 - the engine that blew up. Note the kangaroo logo on #1 and then notice how that entire part of the nacelle is missing from #2.

Flying debris causing damage to wing:

Great, now my "irrational" uncomfortableness when sitting aside the engine is confirmed. Thanks, Airbus.