Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Paperhouse posted:

that's good news, I love Jonathan Creek

I can never guess any of the mysteries though :negative:

Me neither, apart from the alien skull, which seemed painfully obvious from the outset. Although there's always more than one part to the mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!
Johnathon Creek is excellent TV. I can't really think of any other mystery show that is quite funny at the same time. Though the one from last Easter was a disappointment.

I enjoyed Whites too. It's always good to see Alan Davis in stuff.

Edit: Speaking of Alan Davis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBnKXXJ3n4s

Megaterium fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 4, 2010

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
apparently the most recent Creek episodes weren't especially good (according to reviews and people) but I still really liked them, easy to please maybe but I think the formula is just so good that it's difficult for me not to enjoy it

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene
I realise it was a few days ago now but:

The Trip (BBC iPlayer link)
I thought Coogan played The Trip a little too close to Partridge for my liking. I can't imagine him actually being like that whereas Brydon seemed a lot more believable. I still enjoyed the interaction, but didn't expect it to feel a little forced. Still worth 30 minutes of your time though.

Coppers (4oD link)
I really enjoyed Coppers - as has been mentioned, that poem was amazing. I found the police came off pretty well, really. Regarding the human rights thing that was talked about, I'm not surprised or bothered - the crims just waste police time and everyone knows it. I felt sorry for the girl. If you can't be arsed to watch the whole thing, the poem has been uploaded to YouTube. It might not have as much impact without seeing what Danny is like throughout the show though. The whole "pink shirt" phone call was hilarious too.

Tasty Pi
Nov 5, 2005
Yum

Paperhouse posted:

apparently the most recent Creek episodes weren't especially good (according to reviews and people) but I still really liked them, easy to please maybe but I think the formula is just so good that it's difficult for me not to enjoy it

Yeah, I think I read an interview with David Renwick (writer of the series) after the last Christmas special where he stated it was getting harder and harder to come up with original ideas and mysteries for the episodes hence why they were only doing the one-off holiday specials. I think this is reflected in the later episodes, that said I did still thoroughly enjoy all the episodes and if they're filming an entirely new series I'll still watch and no doubt enjoy it.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
I have never, ever seen an episode of Johnaton Creek. I have heard that it's pretty crap though...

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Zorba the Greek posted:

I have never, ever seen an episode of Johnaton Creek. I have heard that it's pretty crap though...
you been talking to the wrong people son, Jonathan Creek owns

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I loving loved Jonathan Creek when it first aired and I was pretty young.

But I convinced some friends to watch it recently and we couldn't get past the first couple of episodes.

I think everyone (like me) remembers the awesome mysteries but forgets that there is like 45 minutes of dull, unfunny side plots in between. Caroline Quentin is incredibly annoying, and so is the magician guy Jonathan works for. Alan Davies is still fantastic, but he can't hold it all together on his own.

I really, really wanted to love it as much as I used to, but I just don't think it's worth watching any more :(

Haven't seen any of the most recent episodes though.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
Despite Jedward, Katie Brand has managed to be the worst feature of this Buzzcocks.

They are really annoying and hyper but Brand is totally unfunny, cynical and generally just an arsehole.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Cracking pair of tit's though.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I am unironically loving this episode of Buzzcocks, massive Jedward piss-take I know but I'm still laughing heartily.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
That was a great episode of Buzzcocks, agreed.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I love how one of the little shits was quite clearly mortified at half the poo poo the other one was doing and basically said gently caress all through the whole thing. This season of Buzzcocks is shaping up nicely.

Daedo
May 5, 2002
Yeah, loved that episode of Buzzcocks! Jedward really were annoying little shits and clearly out of their element but it was great seeing everyone just laying into them. They didn't care, especially since half the time they didn't even realise they were getting ripped.

And yes, somehow Katy Brand was still the worst part of the show.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
ANOTHER American re-make, this time Being Human

http://www.daemonstv.com/2010/11/04/being-human-syfy-trailer/

Also can't wait for the new Misfits! I hope America doesn't try and remake that too :(

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Holy poo poo Pat Sharp was the presenter of Fun House?! I altered my memory to make it Noel Edmonds :psyboom:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

HoldYourFire posted:

Holy poo poo Pat Sharp was the presenter of Fun House?! I altered my memory to make it Noel Edmonds :psyboom:
i literally did the exact same thing and was surprised to find out recently Noel Edmonds never presented Funhouse

:wtc:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

FiftySeven posted:

I love how one of the little shits was quite clearly mortified at half the poo poo the other one was doing and basically said gently caress all through the whole thing. This season of Buzzcocks is shaping up nicely.

So that means that a quarter of Jedward is awful? Funny, I thought it was a much higher percentage than that.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Buzzcocks was amazing

"Like a simpleton Bros"

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Gram-O-Phone posted:

So that means that a quarter of Jedward is awful? Funny, I thought it was a much higher percentage than that.

Dont take my comment out of context. They are 100% awful and nothing they ever do will redeem that.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Phoneshop owned, hopefully they do another series.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
The first episode of the new Alan Partridge is out now http://www.fostersfunny.co.uk/ great start so far, shame they are only 13 mins long.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

the_cow_fan posted:

The first episode of the new Alan Partridge is out now http://www.fostersfunny.co.uk/ great start so far, shame they are only 13 mins long.

YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrpgmJxx0E

I think there are going to be around 7 episodes, so the length isn't too bad.

I thought it was brilliant!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I watched the incredibly silly "Secrets of the Universe" last night. Am I insane or was the thirteen chimes thing a plot point in an episode of Captain Scarlet?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Shanty posted:

I watched the incredibly silly "Secrets of the Universe" last night. Am I insane or was the thirteen chimes thing a plot point in an episode of Captain Scarlet?

I've not seen Secrets of the Universe, but yeah, Captain Scarlet had a plot point about hearing thirteen chimes if you're just far enough away to get your radio out of sync with the sound of bells. Awesome thing to happen, makes me want to move to London.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
New Partridge is amazing!

Re Alan Davies, he's getting a LOT of poo poo this morning for not wanting to cross the NUJ picket to fill in for Danny Baker on 5live. If you saw his recent activism series about his youth on Channel 4 you'd understand why he's done that, but everyone is really laying into him on Twitter for it.

Robin Ince is another person who has pulled out of a show because he refuses to cross a picket.

A few other people have crossed pickets and have basically used the "I'm not a journalist" defence, but that's not really the point is it?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Well it kind of is though he ain't a journalist and along with the larger body of the BBC union agreeing to the change it's not as clear cut.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

thehustler posted:

New Partridge is amazing!

Re Alan Davies, he's getting a LOT of poo poo this morning for not wanting to cross the NUJ picket to fill in for Danny Baker on 5live. If you saw his recent activism series about his youth on Channel 4 you'd understand why he's done that, but everyone is really laying into him on Twitter for it.

Robin Ince is another person who has pulled out of a show because he refuses to cross a picket.

A few other people have crossed pickets and have basically used the "I'm not a journalist" defence, but that's not really the point is it?

If you're not a part of the union involved then surely it is a matter of personal position on the matter at hand, rather than black and white scab or strike.

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:
Anyone watching Harry & Paul? Some of it's pretty funny but the most is a bit..er..stale. :smith:

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Ezzie posted:

Anyone watching Harry & Paul? Some of it's pretty funny but the most is a bit..er..stale. :smith:

You wouldn't think that in the mid-90s they were pretty much the kings of TV sketch-shows.

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:

pisshead posted:

You wouldn't think that in the mid-90s they were pretty much the kings of TV sketch-shows.

Okay I retract my previous statement. The Beatles sketch in episode two made me laugh way too much.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ezzie posted:

Okay I retract my previous statement. The Beatles sketch in episode two made me laugh way too much.

It goes up and down. I can't stand the Benefit family :rolleyes: or Parking Padaweo, but the Beatles/Oasis thing this week nearly made me piss myself.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Don't even care. The best program on British TV has to be Horrible Histories. I can't be the only goon that watches this glorious show.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I read those books when I was younger but the programme's target audience is too young. Also one of them looks like a pedo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The books were okay but those terrible jokes of UGH TEACHERS AND SCHOOL DINNERS will flop if translated into TV comedy.

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

Zorba the Greek posted:

Don't even care. The best program on British TV has to be Horrible Histories. I can't be the only goon that watches this glorious show.

I love it :) The songs are really good, and it's fun looking out for all the actors in bit parts in 'adult' BBC comedy (the stupid deaths guy was in that terrible ad agency show)

I also liked 'Sorry I've Got No Head', better than some grown up stuff.

shabutie fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 5, 2010

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

shabutie posted:

I love it :) The songs are really good, and it's fun looking out for all the actors in bit parts in 'adult' BBC comedy (the stupid deaths guy was in that terrible ad agency show)

Who is that guy? I love the way he enunciates his words.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Captain Mediocre posted:

I read those books when I was younger but the programme's target audience is too young. Also one of them looks like a pedo.

I read the books too when I was young but I think that the TV Program is actually better. It's more engaging.

Selma_Alabama
Sep 9, 2010
Pffft Horrible Science is where it's at. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Walking Dead starts at 10pm tonight on FX.