Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can anyone recommend other AV furniture brands that have a similar aesthetic to Salamander's stuff but aren't quite so spendy?

I really love most of what they do, especially this Madrid stuff but I just can't see myself spending $1,000+ on a cabinet/stand quite yet.

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/madrid/ma7022.jsp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

SatanX posted:

I think Im done for a Home Theater upgrades for awhile.

Is... is that a Bill the Cat plush on the sub?

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie

Schpyder posted:

Is... is that a Bill the Cat plush on the sub?

The true cornerstone of a Home Theater

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone recommend other AV furniture brands that have a similar aesthetic to Salamander's stuff but aren't quite so spendy?

I really love most of what they do, especially this Madrid stuff but I just can't see myself spending $1,000+ on a cabinet/stand quite yet.

I picked up this stand earlier this year, and couldn't be happier. It fits my Denon receiver perfectly, and my center channel fits in with little room to spare and I think it looks great. It has been extremely stable with a 40" flat screen, two mdf bookshelf speakers, receiver, cable box, internet goodies, center channel, xbox, and movies and shows no sign of sagging. This is the best price I've seen on this unit as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JCXDQC/ref=oss_product

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I really enjoy my make shift av cabinet as I only have 4 components. This cabinet fits my needs with the 3 bays for equipment and the triplite sit on top of this. I did have to drill 1 1/2in hole through the top to run my cables but this is out of site as it is mounted above the couch. I just about finished my setup so hope to have pictures for you guys.

It currently holds
Onkyo 507
PS3
xbox
triplite surge protector

Width: 58 5/8 "
Depth: 14 5/8 "
Height: 13 3/8 "
Max. load: 99 lb
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10176273

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
This is what my setup is looking like after the recent addition of a new receiver and some new speakers.

Samsung LN40A650
Pioneer VSX-1020-K
Velodyne SPL-1000 sub (not pictured... one of my best craigslist finds ever)
Aperion Intimus 4C center channel
Aperion Intimus 5B bookshelves

The center is a little on the small side but it sounds great for it's size and all 3 of the speakers were picked up at an annual warehouse sale and ended up being a great deal. The sub next to the PS3 is actually for the PC speakers, I just switch back and forth between the PC speakers and receiver depending on if I'm gaming or listening to music or watching a movie. The PC is connected to the receiver via DVI > HDMI video and optical audio.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 4, 2010

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

SatanX posted:

For any of those that have never seen theater lights in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-NSYHzGs0

I take it the flickering/pulsing is just a product of the camera you shot that video with?

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

Legdiian posted:

I take it the flickering/pulsing is just a product of the camera you shot that video with?

Yes, the color change is very smooth.

Videos and Pics really do not do it justice.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

SatanX posted:

For any of those that have never seen theater lights in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-NSYHzGs0

Is there any specific purpose or function to the Cryon lighting or is it more for "looks"? I could see how having them on during a movie, if watching it in complete darkness would take some of the brightness away from the TV. But then again, you're watching movies at the theather in complete darkness...

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

AzCoug posted:

Is there any specific purpose or function to the Cryon lighting or is it more for "looks"? I could see how having them on during a movie, if watching it in complete darkness would take some of the brightness away from the TV. But then again, you're watching movies at the theather in complete darkness...

a lot of people get headaches when going from bright to dark. It's actually supposed to be better for your eyes to have ambient light on.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

AzCoug posted:

You really want a soft white light (behind the display), it makes a difference.

From HomeTheaterMag.com
http://www.hometheatermag.com/bootcamp/163/

quote:

A good lighting system enhances your theater room in a couple of ways. From a performance point of view, the system needs to provide light so that people can safely move around the room. You should also arrange the light sources so that they don't cast any glare or light on the image, which would wash out the picture. If you have a direct-view or rear-projection display, the folks at the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) recommend that you place a bias light behind the display. This reduces eye fatigue by providing a constant light source, and it doesn't compromise image performance.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

To give you an idea of what it's like, I use one of the two 'white' modes when I want to watch a movie. It seems bright in the pic, but its a lot softer (iphone cam sucks, my digital cam is not here atm). It makes the colors pop and makes the blacks seem deeper. Want to try it out? Go to the supermarket and get yourself one of those low power bulbs, dimmer the better (something like this - http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-CFL-Light-Bulb-20-Watt-75W-Equivalent-6-Pk/5650616 ). Put it in a desk lamp and put it behind your TV (point it at the wall).

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
OLD AND BUSTED

NEW HOTNESS:

Just picked up a Sony KDL55NX810, and a few weeks ago got a Shuttle XS35GT and threw in an SSD. Got rid of the DVD player since that's no longer needed. A new flush mount is coming, I just wanted to get it thrown up there until it gets here.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

devmd01 posted:

OLD AND BUSTED

NEW HOTNESS:

Just picked up a Sony KDL55NX810, and a few weeks ago got a Shuttle XS35GT and threw in an SSD. Got rid of the DVD player since that's no longer needed. A new flush mount is coming, I just wanted to get it thrown up there until it gets here.

wait, why would you want your MPC to have a small SSD?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MMD3 posted:

Because spinning hard drives can be noisy?

Because having a responsive computer is nice?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
So many tvs wall mounted at 4-6 feet off the ground.. i feel sorry for your guests :(

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MMD3 posted:

This is before the raid card got here, but you get the idea. Goes in the back room, so the only noise I hear when listening to a movie is the movie. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

devmd01 posted:

This is before the raid card got here, but you get the idea. Goes in the back room, so the only noise I hear when listening to a movie is the movie. :)

Very nice. Why switch DVDs / Blurays / CD / etc... when you can navigate to all of it from the couch.

BTW, newegg is having a nice sale on the 2TB WD green drives (w/ 64mb cache). $89 a pop.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

devmd01 posted:

ahhh, nice... so do you have it configured to automatically buffer any movies you want to watch to the SSD or something?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just streams directly over the network, ssd only holds Windows 7 and XBMC. I installed a gigabit cat-6 infrastructure with at least 2 drops to every room in the house, which is nice with U-Verse because I can just move a box wherever I want. The xs35gt only has a 100mbit nic in it, but it's still plenty to stream off the file server. Massive heatpipes with no fans and an ssd makes for a 100% silent htpc, kind of freaks me out. :)

Keystone wallplates are nice, too:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 6, 2010

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

So many tvs wall mounted at 4-6 feet off the ground.. i feel sorry for your guests :(

Or 8 feet. Holy poo poo that hurts my neck just looking at the picture.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Legdiian posted:

Seriously! That looks like sitting at the front row of the movies.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Omegaslast posted:

Legdiian posted:

Barry posted:

Seriously! That looks like sitting at the front row of the movies.

Very helpful posts. Get out.

Wall mounting it like that at an angle actually drastically reduces glare in that environment. Also if you would be so kind as to specify where he should better mount it we could all benefit from such knowledge.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

BrettRobb posted:

Very helpful posts. Get out.

Wall mounting it like that at an angle actually drastically reduces glare in that environment. Also if you would be so kind as to specify where he should better mount it we could all benefit from such knowledge.

Says the guy with his TV mounted 6 feet above the floor for no good reason.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

Neutral corners.

To each thier own.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I honestly discounted houses with living rooms centered around a fireplace that made it impossible to place the TV anywhere. A decade or two ago you could stick a 27" CRT in the corner, but these massive TV's we have nowadays make it really challenging to layout rooms. And for how often you use a fireplace compared to a TV, I just found them really annoying.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Oh, come on now. :rolleyes:

Admittedly, I thought when installing that being level with the doorway would be more pleasing overall. I can drop the tv around 9" without exposing the current mount holes.

However, I do feel you're blowing the issue of out proportion. Its not even remotely uncomfortable to watch. (mostly because i exceed the optimal viewing distance)

Assuming the grey paint in your room is ~80" tall, this looks to be fairly accurate.

Crazy what a difference 61 makes vs 50.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
After a good 10 hours of tv/movie/sports watching this weekend, my neck is fine. Thanks for your concern, everyone! :tipshat:

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Where's the best place to find quality Cryon lighting?

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

AzCoug posted:

Where's the best place to find quality Cryon lighting?

Sam's Club - http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=197703&navAction=

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Samsung 46" 1080p/120hz
Nintendo Wii
Samsung Blu-Ray player
8-bit NES
Aiwa Turntable
Aiwa Speakers (I have JBLs, I just have to rewire them and use those instead)
Vintage 70s Fisher Receiver
Init TV Stand (was around $130)

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

Red posted:

Samsung 46" 1080p/120hz
Nintendo Wii
Samsung Blu-Ray player
8-bit NES
Aiwa Turntable
Aiwa Speakers (I have JBLs, I just have to rewire them and use those instead)
Vintage 70s Fisher Receiver
Init TV Stand (was around $130)

Very nice. But you are missing one important thing. An Atari 2600. Seriously. That near that reciever would look drat nice.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

SatanX posted:

Very nice. But you are missing one important thing. An Atari 2600. Seriously. That near that reciever would look drat nice.

That is not a god damned bad idea. Somewhere around here I have a random Spider-Man cartridge. That game sucks, but at least it's a start.

Yalc
Mar 5, 2003

Gayin it up itt

MMD3 posted:

I know OmniMount does, but I am not sure the quality
amazon search "modern tv stand" and some good results follow.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ignore this. Thought I was on the last page.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 11, 2010

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

jonathan posted:

Cool for music or just to trip on, but it's widely understood that non neutral coloured lighting/walls cause your eyes to do funny things which degrade picture quality. I'd keep it on a white setting for movie watching. And experiment with brightness, if you get it right, the blacks your TV produces will seem darker.

Yup, thats exactly what I do.

SatanX posted:

To give you an idea of what it's like, I use one of the two 'white' modes when I want to watch a movie. It seems bright in the pic, but its a lot softer (iphone cam sucks, my digital cam is not here atm). It makes the colors pop and makes the blacks seem deeper. Want to try it out? Go to the supermarket and get yourself one of those low power bulbs, dimmer the better (something like this - http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-CFL-Light-Bulb-20-Watt-75W-Equivalent-6-Pk/5650616 ). Put it in a desk lamp and put it behind your TV (point it at the wall).

SatanX fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 11, 2010

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sterster posted:

I really enjoy my make shift av cabinet as I only have 4 components. This cabinet fits my needs with the 3 bays for equipment and the triplite sit on top of this. I did have to drill 1 1/2in hole through the top to run my cables but this is out of site as it is mounted above the couch. I just about finished my setup so hope to have pictures for you guys.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10176273

Check out my pictures a page or two back. I have the same piece, however I mounted it as a floating unit on the wall.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to hiding all the cables behind my wall mount. Ended up just rigging up a painted board that matches the rest of the trim in the room in the corner behind the set. Took me so long because I got lazy finding an Wii sensor bar extension wire and a longer power cable.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Thaaat's better:

Glare isn't visible from the seating area. Ran optical from the TV back to the receiver too for 5.1 netflix/pandora goodness. :D

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I may be looking at getting a new TV to replace my 40" Samsung. I was thinking in the 55-65 range (so, giant). I'm renting and can't mount my TV on the wall, so I am limited to entertainment units. Where are good places to look for bench style units? I figure this would be a good place to check and see what people are using.