Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

iv46vi posted:

Are there actually people out there with five grand in cash breathlessly waiting for these?

There should be. My brother-in-law is still $40,000 in tool debt from the year he decided to be a mechanic, then subsequently decided he didn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SideShift
Aug 7, 2010

Snapon PH3050A air hammer. Thing kicks all kinds of rear end. Quickly finding it to be one of the most versatile and time saving tools in my collection.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Give me a rundown of appropriate tasks for that air hammer; I'm not really clear on what's smart and stupid to do with it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

There should be. My brother-in-law is still $40,000 in tool debt from the year he decided to be a mechanic, then subsequently decided he didn't like it.

What? How is that even possible? Does he at least have a bitchin' tool collection to show for it?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

bolind posted:

What? How is that even possible? Does he at least have a bitchin' tool collection to show for it?

Ha.

Probably not.

OldSquid
May 28, 2007
Flying a plane is just like riding a bike, except it's harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

iv46vi posted:

Sure, but who actually buys those things on craigs?

I'm looking in the tools classifieds from time to time and there is always a couple of "complete starter set with box" or just "expensive top-end box" with four figure price tags and they seem to be listed forever. They often suffer from lovely descriptions like "everything you need, text me only, no lowballers" or 99% of the original price asked, but those are fairly common problems in general.

Are there actually people out there with five grand in cash breathlessly waiting for these?

I'm guessing no. http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/2022269135.html

This is my neighbor's ad (that I posted for him because he barely knows what a computer is, much less how to get on the internet). I've renewed it once already, and he's had zero calls so far. And he won't budge on the price.

e: For the record, I'm not asking (or even recommending) someone here buy this.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
So what you're saying is, we should all call and offer $400?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
If you are real good friends with the truck guy, he can usually get you a deal on someone else's misfortune on buying tools and boxes. I've seen snapon guys "buy back" tools for 1/3 of their value to clear up debt and turn around and resell them on the side. Not sure if that violates franchise rules or not, I never asked.

You can get the occasional bargain. Go in person and deal in cash, no one bargins over the phone like most of the craigslist callers out there.

I had one guy offer to sell me the "aircraft carrier" snapon super box set, whatever model that was. The 9-12 foot long one. Yeah where the gently caress I'm I going to park that thing, much less buy the mountain of tools needed to stock it.

Tool box wars are crazy.

Speaking of which I need to track down a good pulley puller/installer.. again. My last one grew legs and walked off :sigh:

SideShift
Aug 7, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Give me a rundown of appropriate tasks for that air hammer; I'm not really clear on what's smart and stupid to do with it.

Check out the list on the left for an idea, but among other things I've used mine for driving out rusted in pivot pins for heavy duty air brake shoes, deforming bushings in blind holes enough to get them to pry out, driving out bushings with the bushing driving bit and appropriate sized driver (wow does this make life easy), driving in bushings the same way (typically having to compress them with vise grips), driving out rusted bellcrank shafts in forklift steer axles, king pin shafts, of course shearing off rivets is also a major use, hammering off brake backing plates that have been red loctited in place from the factory, etc...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I stumbled into some 33% & 40%-off online coupons for Advance Auto Parts if anyone's interested.

OldSquid
May 28, 2007
Flying a plane is just like riding a bike, except it's harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Skyssx posted:

So what you're saying is, we should all call and offer $400?

If he's drunk enough, you may get lucky.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

grover posted:

If the big advantage of the Kennedy-quality boxes over the cheap ones is they don't bind and last a long time... and that's really the only thing "wrong" with the cheap ones... what are you getting for $10k for the rolls royce boxes that you aren't getting for $1500 in a Kennedy?

Well there's the obvious stuff like size, material, and method of manufacturing. I've seen and touched the top-end boxes before, and there purpose is more as a "shop" box rather than a personal toolbox. The kind of chest that endures a production environment, and the abuse put on it of many persons over long periods of time. Where as a Kennedy, a line particularly popular with Machinists, who generally treasure both their tools and toolboxes, treating them with appropriate respect and care. Not to say they're not as durable, but rather are man-handled significantly less, if that makes any sense.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
Is it possible to get a good electric pressure washer under $100?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Honestly, it's not possible to get a good pressure washer period for under $700. So buy the cheapest you can find and plan on disposing of it after two seasons.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Skyssx posted:

Honestly, it's not possible to get a good pressure washer period for under $700. So buy the cheapest you can find and plan on disposing of it after two seasons.

I can confirm this. I used a 220v diesel Kärcher everyday for a 10years. This will last you.. but is way overkill.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 6, 2010

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I went to Harbor Freight yesterday to pick up some electrical connectors and tape, and looked at the power tools. Lots of angle grinders on sale for $20.

I realized I have always had an angle grinder-shaped hole in my life.

So I went back today and bought the $34 one. That paddle switch alone is totally cool enough to make it worth the extra $14.

It says in the manual that using it for "polishing or cutting-off" is "not recommended". That's just to cover their asses, right? It didn't explode when I slapped on a cutoff wheel and removed a rusted bolt that's been bugging me, at least.

Also in the manual: handling the cord exposes you to lead. Hooray, China!

Of course, I didn't really need an angle grinder, aside from that one small bolt that I could've cut with the Dremel. I suppose it'll be good for sharpening the mower blades come spring. Maybe I should start a YouTube series where I sand/grind/deburr/cut various things. With joke video of me brandishing it at the pet bunnies.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Delivery McGee posted:

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday to pick up some electrical connectors and tape, and looked at the power tools. Lots of angle grinders on sale for $20.

I realized I have always had an angle grinder-shaped hole in my life.

So I went back today and bought the $34 one. That paddle switch alone is totally cool enough to make it worth the extra $14.

It says in the manual that using it for "polishing or cutting-off" is "not recommended". That's just to cover their asses, right? It didn't explode when I slapped on a cutoff wheel and removed a rusted bolt that's been bugging me, at least.

Also in the manual: handling the cord exposes you to lead. Hooray, China!

Of course, I didn't really need an angle grinder, aside from that one small bolt that I could've cut with the Dremel. I suppose it'll be good for sharpening the mower blades come spring. Maybe I should start a YouTube series where I sand/grind/deburr/cut various things. With joke video of me brandishing it at the pet bunnies.

Good thing you bought the 4.5" kind. I steer anyone I can away from the 4" ones. It seriously won't fit any of HFs own accessories.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Delivery McGee posted:

Maybe I should start a YouTube series where I sand/grind/deburr/cut various things. With joke video of me brandishing it at the pet bunnies.

Will it blend grind?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

eddiewalker posted:

Good thing you bought the 4.5" kind. I steer anyone I can away from the 4" ones. It seriously won't fit any of HFs own accessories.
Yeah, I saw somebody complaining about that earlier in the thread.

Also mentioned way back, and replied to incredulously: 9" angle grinders. HF has one for $60.

I also picked up a variety pack of wheels for it -- a couple of grinding wheels, a couple of flap wheels, and some cutoffs. Now i just need something to use it on.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Absolutely do not use harborfreight electrical connectors or wire. See previous posts in this thread by me as for why. UL spec connectors are not much more and miles better.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

AnomalousBoners posted:

Absolutely do not use harborfreight electrical connectors or wire. See previous posts in this thread by me as for why. UL spec connectors are not much more and miles better.

I was going to post the same thing. I barely trust HF wire ties (I've seen about 10% of them are mis-shot and don't hold). HF electrical connectors would scare the hell out of me.

As an aside -- the new push-type electrical connectors feel like cheating. I'll never use wire nuts again.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Heres the results and info from testing HF connectors.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369&userid=129244&perpage=40&pagenumber=7

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

I was going to post the same thing. I barely trust HF wire ties (I've seen about 10% of them are mis-shot and don't hold). HF electrical connectors would scare the hell out of me.

As an aside -- the new push-type electrical connectors feel like cheating. I'll never use wire nuts again.

Info Please? I hate wire nuts with a passion.
::edit:: you talking about these? http://www.all-spec.com/products/30-1034.html

I've seen them, used them on lighting fixtures.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 8, 2010

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does Harbor Freight sell individual sockets? Or where can I get a 1.25" socket as cheaply as possible?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Does Harbor Freight sell individual sockets? Or where can I get a 1.25" socket as cheaply as possible?

Is it for axle nuts? If so, some parts stores have a "lend-a-tool" program where you can just put a deposit on a set of four sockets (30,32,34,36mm) and return then when finished.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sockington posted:

Is it for axle nuts? If so, some parts stores have a "lend-a-tool" program where you can just put a deposit on a set of four sockets (30,32,34,36mm) and return then when finished.

It's for changing an oil filter. My girlfriend's car has one of those new-fangled cartridge filters. I used a huge crescent wrench the last time, but it's not a good angle for that and was a huge pain.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I've never seen single sockets at HF. Sears sells them for $5-8 each though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FogHelmut posted:

Once you get up above the 1" size its not too hard to find individual sockets for sale in-store. A quick check of HF's website would appear to show that they only sell sockets in sets, but I've found that often what they have on their website and what the individual stores carry varies greatly.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

oxbrain posted:

I've never seen single sockets at HF. Sears sells them for $5-8 each though.

Me neither. AutoZone might have it, though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've seen them at Pep Boys for maybe $15, or something ridiculous, which is why I ask. I'll check out Sears.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FogHelmut posted:

I'll check out Sears.

If you don't need impact - http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00944069000P?vName=Tools+%26+Equipment&keyword=1-1/4+6pt&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=L1

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A 32mm would probably be good enough for something that's not that tight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Advance Auto sells single sockets. I nabbed a 36mm for like $5.49 I think.

Ran to H today for a few odds and end and they have new notices at the register. They can no longer allow people to use the 20% off coupons on sale items which sucks because that's how I got my shop crane, engine stand and impact gun so cheap.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Advance Auto sells single sockets. I nabbed a 36mm for like $5.49 I think.

Ran to H today for a few odds and end and they have new notices at the register. They can no longer allow people to use the 20% off coupons on sale items which sucks because that's how I got my shop crane, engine stand and impact gun so cheap.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Rhyno posted:

God please tell me this is wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ASSTASTIC posted:

God please tell me this is wrong.

It's what they told me. I was buying one of those 2-sided ratchets and it was on sale for $13.99 and I wanted to use the 20% off on it. He told me it would only work on the original price, not the sale price.

Godzilla525
Sep 28, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

It's for changing an oil filter. My girlfriend's car has one of those new-fangled cartridge filters. I used a huge crescent wrench the last time, but it's not a good angle for that and was a huge pain.

GM Ecotec? (That's the exact same method I've been using..) I haven't ordered one of these yet, but I know my standard-depth impact 1 1/2" won't clear the intake manifold.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14700-Filter-Wrench-2-2L/dp/B0009OMYAQ/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1

I plan on getting one as soon as I figure out what else to lump in to qualify for super saver shipping.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Godzilla525 posted:

GM Ecotec? (That's the exact same method I've been using..) I haven't ordered one of these yet, but I know my standard-depth impact 1 1/2" won't clear the intake manifold.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14700-Filter-Wrench-2-2L/dp/B0009OMYAQ/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1

I plan on getting one as soon as I figure out what else to lump in to qualify for super saver shipping.

Yeah, its a 2008 Cobalt. Do you really need an ultra-low profile socket?

OldSquid
May 28, 2007

Godzilla525 posted:

If you have a .edu email address you can sign up for Amazon Student and get a year of Prime for free, which includes super saver shipping with no minimum purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/student You can tie it to your existing non-.edu Amazon account. I wish I could take credit for finding this on my own, but I found it in one of the Coupons & Deals threads on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FogHelmut posted:

Farm & Fleet does if there's one near by.