Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
It's not in here.

Yes, it is.

Hey, I'm not an idiot.

Did I say you were an idiot?

Well wouldn't I have to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I'm sorry! I guess I just wasn't ready for the responsibilities of a pretend marriage.

penis sandwich
Aug 28, 2004

have some pudding :)
Hello! I'm sorry, I'm just fighting with my wife.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Wow, they just showed the parking garage one and at the end he does his stand up bit where he says they should name the parking garage levels something like "You mother's a whore!" I'm always surprised when I hear lines like that, I forget what they got away with. (not that whore is some unairable word, but it just doesn't seem very Seinfeld)

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

The pig says "my wife is a slut"?!

g_mangler
Mar 17, 2009

by Ozma
Now that's a complaint!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Now that's a complaint.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
So you got violated by two people while you were under the gas. So what? You're single.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

stratdax posted:

This highlights my problem with Jerry Seinfeld's humour. Doesn't matter what topic, Jerry thinks it's stupid. Dancing is a fun thing to do. In that book of his, he makes fun of people who work out, because they're working out so they can be in shape for the next workout. Uh no... they're working out so they can stay in shape.
Like, he misses the point on everything, and then says it's stupid. Drives me nuts.

I personally find Jerry Seinfeld hilarious, but I know what you mean. Your complaint reminds me of something Douglas Adams wrote:

Douglas Adams posted:

There’s always a moment when you start to fall out of love, whether it’s with a person or an idea or a cause, even if it’s one you only narrate to yourself years after the event: a tiny thing, a wrong word, a false note, which means that things can never be quite the same again. For me it was hearing a stand-up comedian make the following observation. “These scientists eh? They’re so stupid! You know those black box flight recorders they put on aeroplanes? And you know they’re meant to be indestructible? It’s always the thing that doesn’t get smashed? So why don’t they make the planes out of the same stuff?” The audience roared with laughter at how stupid scientists were, how they couldn’t think their way out of a paper bag, but I sat feeling uncomfortable. Was I just being pedantic to feel that the joke didn’t really work because flight recorders are made out titanium and that if you made planes out of titanium rather than aluminium they’d be far too heavy to get off the ground in the first place?

I began to pick away at the joke. Supposing Eric Morecambe had said it? Would it be funny then? Well, not quite, because that would have relied on the audience seeing that Eric was being dumb, in other words they would have had to know as a matter of common knowledge about the relative weights of titanium and aluminium. There was no way of deconstructing the joke (if you think this is obsessive behaviour you should try living with it) that didn’t rely on the teller and the audience complacently conspiring together to jeer at someone who knew more than they did. It sent a chill down my spine and still does. I felt betrayed by comedy in the same way that gangsta rap now makes me feel betrayed by rock music. I also began to wonder how many of the jokes I was making were just, well, ignorant.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Popcorn posted:

I personally find Jerry Seinfeld hilarious, but I know what you mean. Your complaint reminds me of something Douglas Adams wrote:

I think Jerry acknowledges that most of his comedy is the perspective of a simple layman who is confused and frustrated at random poo poo, most of which is easily explained. We saw this sometimes when Kramer would pitch material.

"Whats the deal with packing peanuts? Why do we need so many, and why... are they... so SMALL?"

"So where's the punchline?"

"It's all in the delivery."

The function of packing peanuts is obvious, but an audience can still laugh at them, because everyone in that audience has been annoyed by them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

I think Jerry acknowledges that most of his comedy is the perspective of a simple layman who is confused and frustrated at random poo poo, most of which is easily explained. We saw this sometimes when Kramer would pitch material.

"Whats the deal with packing peanuts? Why do we need so many, and why... are they... so SMALL?"

"So where's the punchline?"

"It's all in the delivery."

The function of packing peanuts is obvious, but an audience can still laugh at them, because everyone in that audience has been annoyed by them.

I like to think that most Seinfeld humor went a bit farther than that, however. It never seemed like it was just "don't think too hard about it" humor. In fact it seemed quite the opposite, it was more "what happens if you think about this too hard"? I mean, most of the situations in the show were about this group of wretched characters obsessing about things that normal people would just... dismiss.

Edit: I'm talking just about the show; Jerry's stand-up had a shitload of "don't think about it too hard" humor, and you can really tell that it was Larry's influence that shaped the show to be something different from that.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

Wow, they just showed the parking garage one and at the end he does his stand up bit where he says they should name the parking garage levels something like "You mother's a whore!" I'm always surprised when I hear lines like that, I forget what they got away with. (not that whore is some unairable word, but it just doesn't seem very Seinfeld)

I saw that episode on TBS tonight too, and they edited out the best gag in the whole episode. When Kramer it trying to start the car, he gets out and looks back at a non-existent horizon for a second, then gets back in the car. In the edit, they ended the episode as he's turning over the engine the first time.

Unless that was actually where the episode ended and I'm just remembering that from a deleted scene. I could have swore that scene was longer in the DVD version though.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
You know, I've been issued a public urination pass by the city because of my condition. Unfortunately, my little brother ran out of the house with it this morning. Him and his friends are probably peeing all over the place.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Going back to what was said on the last page-- do you think the stand-up bits are meant to be Character Jerry doing material on what's happening in his life in the show or just Real Jerry doing topical material that mostly points to what's going on in the show? I've watched the show for most of my life, but I've never really thought about that until I was wading through the show for the second time since I got the collection last Christmas.

It kinda blew my mind to think it was the former. I always just assumed it was Real Jerry's existing material about which guided him and Larry David towards writing the episode.

It doesn't matter, of course, it's a sitcom and all and doesn't require any brain busting, but I thought it was interesting to consider.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
It's 100% supposed to be TV Jerry. The original idea behind the pilot was showing how a comedian gets his material.

\/\/\/ also in "The Bris" at the end his finger is in a bandage from when the mohel massacred his boy.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
It's character Jerry. In one episode he gets heckled by a guy involved in the plot. I think it's the one where he accidentally switches his drink with Elaine's boyfriend causing him to fall off the wagon. Or is it on the wagon.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Kevyn posted:

It's character Jerry. In one episode he gets heckled by a guy involved in the plot. I think it's the one where he accidentally switches his drink with Elaine's boyfriend causing him to fall off the wagon. Or is it on the wagon.

You go on the wagon, then you fall off the wagon. And yeah it's David Naughton playing Elaine's recovering alcoholic boyfriend, and Jerry accidentally sends him falling off the wagon. Note: This is the only time they ever broke into a Jerry standup scene and that's only because Larry David was told by NBC execs that they felt the ending was "too dark" and they wanted this shot to make sure there was a happy ending, as you see Naughton's character is now clearly back on the wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_iKwXWaYF8

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I always found it weird when bumper-Seinfeld referenced events in sitcom-Seinfeld's life.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kevyn posted:

I remembered this after I posted. Weird that I just never thought about it til this year.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
That's what's so vexing.

Matlock, BRB
Jun 23, 2004

by T. Finn
"Where have seinfeld gone"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Going back to what was said on the last page-- do you think the stand-up bits are meant to be Character Jerry doing material on what's happening in his life in the show or just Real Jerry doing topical material that mostly points to what's going on in the show? I've watched the show for most of my life, but I've never really thought about that until I was wading through the show for the second time since I got the collection last Christmas.

Yeah, looking at it now it's definitely supposed to be the former, but my young self didn't give it a second thought and thought it was the latter.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Popcorn posted:

I had the same experience Adams had when I first heard this Carlos Mencia joke: "My car's passenger-side mirror says 'Objects closer than they appear'. WHY DON'T THEY JUST REPLACE IT WITH A NORMAL MIRROR THEN, DUMBAAAAAAAS."

I feel awful for bringing up Mencia in the Seinfeld thread :(

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

So you're saying that you liked Mencia before that?

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Kramer on Jerry going out with a gymnast:

"Think of the flexibility. Mmmmm...that sex'll melt your face"

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

safety dan posted:

So you're saying that you liked Mencia before that?

Oh god no, I was just relating his experience of hearing an observational joke whose punchline relies on ignorance of how things work. Not so much the "falling out of love" part. Guess I shouldn't have brought it up, whoops.

I just hate it when entertainers don't do their homework.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

HateTheInternet posted:

Oh god no, I was just relating his experience of hearing an observational joke whose punchline relies on ignorance of how things work. Not so much the "falling out of love" part. Guess I shouldn't have brought it up, whoops.

I just hate it when entertainers don't do their homework.

I'd think most comedians (not named mencia or cook) actually put way more thought into their jokes than anyone else would, and in most of those cases probably know what they're saying isn't exactly right but as long as it gets laughs they'll tell it.

Sienfeld himself was(is?) extremely meticulous with the way he phrased jokes and his timing. A lot of people now see how Larry David's mind influenced Seinfeld thanks to Curb, but I don't think people should underestimate Seinfeld's contribution to what made the 'voice' of the show so memorable.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
The one joke of his that always really bugs me due to it's ignorance is the one about how orchestras don't really need a conductor. They definitely do need a conductor, so much that the joke always comes off as genuinely ignorant to me as opposed to intentionally ignorant for the sake of humor, like the black box joke.

Not that I don't still find it extremely funny the way he mimes the nervous cello player.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Relayer posted:

The one joke of his that always really bugs me due to it's ignorance is the one about how orchestras don't really need a conductor. They definitely do need a conductor, so much that the joke always comes off as genuinely ignorant to me as opposed to intentionally ignorant for the sake of humor, like the black box joke.

Not that I don't still find it extremely funny the way he mimes the nervous cello player.

Well that one is kind of true though. Most orchestras could play the standard repetoire in their sleep, and only need someone to say 'go.'

The bit is funny to me not as 'conductors are useless' but as 'all that arm waving up there ain't as important as he things it is.'

Bobfromsales fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 7, 2010

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

It's also not based in ignorance. Neither was the black box joke. They're both funny because of the style and train of thought that formed those conclusions.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Bobfromsales posted:

I'd think most comedians (not named mencia or cook) actually put way more thought into their jokes than anyone else would, and in most of those cases probably know what they're saying isn't exactly right but as long as it gets laughs they'll tell it.

Sienfeld himself was(is?) extremely meticulous with the way he phrased jokes and his timing. A lot of people now see how Larry David's mind influenced Seinfeld thanks to Curb, but I don't think people should underestimate Seinfeld's contribution to what made the 'voice' of the show so memorable.

Case in point: "The Trip", where he loses the paper with the right phrasing of the joke and gets royally hosed.

coolhockey
May 3, 2005

let's party like it's 1994

Relayer posted:

No, you're totally right, that joke always stands out to me as terribly ignorant.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

coolhockey posted:

No, you're totally right, that joke always stands out to me as terribly ignorant.
To me its pretty funny though, because I don't know enough about orchestral music to know what the conductor actually does.

I googled it after making this post, but I really have to guess most people don't really know.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I personally enjoy the extremely dated "has this ever happened to YOU?" material. I recall one bit about being asked by the operator to insert more money while using a pay phone.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

coolhockey posted:

I am an orchestral musician and I think it's funny :colbert:

Again, it's the specific of how he phrases it. He never says "CONDUCTERS ARE SO STUPID AMIRIGHT??" he's just incredulous. Here's the actual quote:

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

I tell ya, I never really understood the importance of the conductor. I mean
between you and me, what the hell is this guy doing? Do you really need
somebody waving a stick in your face to play the violin? Does that really help
you out? I could see how we need him at the beginning. Okay, tap-tap-tap,
start. Okay, I can see how you need that. But once we're going, okay, once
it's all happening, what do we need him for then? I don't see the cellist
looking up, go, "I'm confused. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to
do." And the conductor goes, "Do this. Like this" "Oh, okay, thank you very
much.

bobservo posted:

I personally enjoy the extremely dated "has this ever happened to YOU?" material. I recall one bit about being asked by the operator to insert more money while using a pay phone.

I love any time phone's or answering machines came up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBpsrlAUJLQ&feature=related

Bobfromsales fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 7, 2010

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Bobfromsales posted:

Well that one is kind of true though. Most orchestras could play the standard repetoire in their sleep, and only need someone to say 'go.'

No, not really.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

I've played in an orchestra, but not a lot. Anyway, the conductor is most important during rehearsal, at least in my point of view. During the actual performance he or she is little more than a sort of guide. I generally looked at the conductor only in between songs, or glances while I wasn't playing. But again, this was a high school orchestra so how good could it have been?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Bobfromsales posted:

I love any time phone's or answering machines came up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBpsrlAUJLQ&feature=related

I'm sure if Seinfeld were made 20 years later they'd be obsessing over Facebook etiquette.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bobservo posted:

I'm sure if Seinfeld were made 20 years later they'd be obsessing over Facebook etiquette.

Well, George did make (and subsequently lose) millions from an iPhone app. And Jerry has a healthy hatred for "the Blackberry people."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

OldSenileGuy posted:

Well, George did make (and subsequently lose) millions from an iPhone app. And Jerry has a healthy hatred for "the Blackberry people."

When I was watching that season of Curb and got to the last few episodes, the iPhone references gave me such an awkward anachronistic feeling. I guess that's expected when we haven't been able to see the characters evolve in the interim, and Seinfeld wasn't a show that usually had the latest technology of the day play a major role in the plot of an episode. (But I could be forgetting a couple.)

I would kill for George's app though, no lie.

Here's something we can all argue about : Are the new Seinfeld scenes in Curb to be considered part of Seinfeld canon?