Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For Assassin's Creed II I second the notion of pumping all your money into the Villa. At the very least, pump the shops right away so you can get discounts.
Another good thing to know is that counters with the Hidden Blade are one-hit kills. The timing takes a couple tries to get down but once you get it down combat becomes trivial.
Also a suggestion that when you find a landmark with a Glyph on it, find the glyph before you continue. They're not marked on your map and they're a huge pain in the rear end to track down again (not sure if you need all of them to beat the game, I haven't finished it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

RagnarokAngel posted:

Works for lockpicks too! (You get 3 mistakes before pins start breaking)

The most game-balance-breaking change the designers made to New Vegas was giving you four mistakes before pins break (or if you are super-crazy and only barely start turning it just to get a gauge on how close you might be, even more!). It completely ruined my immersion. My immersion that I believed I was still playing Fallout 3.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

Okonner posted:

Fallout 3
Skills to avoid Tagging
Energy Weapons - by the time you find good ones you'll be able to raise this skill plenty.
Sneak - Sneak has to get very, very high before the points you put in it start to actually make a difference. Just look up the "Silent Running" perk and make sure you have the required points by the time you hit that level.
Barter - Just pay attention to the weight/value ratio of everything around you and loot as much as you can, you'll have plenty of caps.

DO NOT set any S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats to 10 at creation, as every stat has a bobblehead you can pick up in the gameworld to raise that stat by 1. Also bear in mind you'll be able to get a permanent boost to STR or PER as a reward to a fairly simple quest that you'll get early on. Easy-to-find apparel can give you a +1 to PER and/or CHA.

There's also bobbleheads for each skill that give +10, and lots of books that give permanent +1 skill boosts (+2 if you take the comprehension perk, which you should). Bottom-line: don't bother leveling any skills to 100.

What I usually do starting out on my FO3 runs are to tag Energy Weapons, Science and Lockpicking, set Luck to 8, Int to 9, Agi to 9, then finally run to Rivet City and get the Int bobble head and the Android's gun. Of course this may completely ruin any challenge to the game.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Anything for Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War? I got Gold Edition + Dark Crusade + Winter Assault.

And while you're at it, feel free to inform me about Dawn of War II.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Alris posted:

Fallout 3

It's possible to skip entire sections of the main storyline accidently. To avoid doing so, do not visit Rivet City (the aircraft carrier) or The Jefferson Memorial until instructed to do so.

You missed the biggest skip in the game, and saying not to visit Rivet City period is pretty restrictive. I'll repost the small spiel I wrote for the Fallout 3 OP on this issue:

I'm not planning on doing the main quest line right away, do I need to know anything?
You can't wear power armor until you are about 2/3rds of the way through the main quests or you have completed the Operation: Anchorage DLC. Also, because of the nature of the main questline, it is possible to accidentally stumble upon key points where one of the main quests ends and the next begins, skipping earlier quests in the line. If you want to do the main questline from the beginning later in the game, here are the locations to avoid:
Casey Smith's Garage - Don't enter the building.
Chevy Chase - Entering this area of DC won't advance the questline, but you will see an event that relates to one quest in the sequence. Entering the major building of this area will advance the questline.
Jefferson Memorial - Don't enter the building.
Rivet City Science Lab - Dr Zimmer offers a side quest, but don't talk to anyone else

Note that the only reason I'm spoilering this is if you would like the surprise of dicovering your dad several quests early as an unintentional sequence break. The stuff in the spoiler text doesn't tell you anything about the quests, or the areas, it's just a list of locations and details of what you can do in those areas without things skipping forward, if applicable.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

C-Euro posted:

For Assassin's Creed II I second the notion of pumping all your money into the Villa. At the very least, pump the shops right away so you can get discounts.
Another good thing to know is that counters with the Hidden Blade are one-hit kills. The timing takes a couple tries to get down but once you get it down combat becomes trivial.
Also a suggestion that when you find a landmark with a Glyph on it, find the glyph before you continue. They're not marked on your map and they're a huge pain in the rear end to track down again (not sure if you need all of them to beat the game, I haven't finished it)

They're not required to finish, but they're still worth doing on account of being kinda fun and you're definitely right about them being hard to find a second time. You CAN see landmarks on your map (they're a darker grey than the rest of the buildings) and you can get a list of which landmarks have glyphs on them (somewhere in the start menu, can't remember where exactly), but what you cannot do is see where exactly those landmarks are on your map; not every landmark will have a glyph. To make matters worse, sometimes the game won't tell you that a glyph is on a landmark (or even what the landmark is) when you approach it after the first time.

So unless you have a good memory, are taking notes, and/or have an above-average familiarity with renaissance Italian architecture, it might be a good idea to get the glyphs when you find them if you're interested in getting them all.

Or you could just use an FAQ.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kennel posted:

Anything for Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War? I got Gold Edition + Dark Crusade + Winter Assault.

And while you're at it, feel free to inform me about Dawn of War II.

Not having played much DOWII I can't offer a whole of advice other than managing your squads and gearing them up is super, super important unlike DOW I where its only a little important.

Both games though, you must know this. Offense is the only defense. Turrets are not going to stop anything but the absolute shittiest attack and exist only to supplment your forces. Your goal is to be constantly pushing forward capturing new resource producing areas.

Don'y hesitate to send people to their deaths if it prevents the enemy from securing a position. You'll get the money back and you'll choke off their flow.

Always be bolstering squad strength. Built squads are not at their maximum strength and cost money to bring up to full power. If they lose members you can pay to do it more. The cost of the initial squad is far more than the cost of adding the new members.

There are times, especially early on, where you have to decide if going for two objectives with two weak squads and gambling on it is better than taking one for certain with one large reinforced squad.

If you have the expansion pack with sisters of battle, know that they are completely and utterly broken.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Binowru posted:

Fallout 3

I've posted this about half a dozen times in this thread, but it bears repeating; if you're the role-playing sort, leave the game difficulty at Medium, then build your character whichever way strikes your fancy. A charismatic, two-fisted bounty hunter who befriends animals and children? Go for it! However, if you want a challenge, set the difficulty to Hard or Very Hard, and follow the character building tips people have posted here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ainsley McTree posted:

So unless you have a good memory, are taking notes, and/or have an above-average familiarity with renaissance Italian architecture, it might be a good idea to get the glyphs when you find them if you're interested in getting them all.

I think we had this exact same conversation in the actual AC2 thread :v: Next you tell me to check Google Maps for the locations of some of these landmarks (which was actually a really good idea)

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Reveilled posted:

You missed the biggest skip in the game, and saying not to visit Rivet City period is pretty restrictive.

To be fair, you're a lot less likely to accidentally run into the place out in the middle of the wasteland than you are to run into an aircraft carrier.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was touched upon a couple of pages ago but there is one tip I find absolutely indispensable.

Those combos that you bought once and never really used again? They all come in handy against enemies you fight way after you get the moves and forget them. One of these which is amazing all around is the dash run x, y. It's one of if not THE fastest block breaker and is indispensable against faster enemies that block, like the sword masters. Guillotine should be used against broken skeletons (and the slimes that hold you in place from the Knight/Laura's dolls. The block, jump, jump combo that you can then counter attack on is great against all large enemies other than trolls, who turn too fast for that to be effective. Also purchase the heavy combos, as these stun medium sized enemies and allow you to do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. As a matter of fact, with lucky positioning, you can take out 2 sword masters that are fairied at the same time if you heavy X combo them while they're stunned on Knight difficulty while in shadow mode. Finally, against small enemies, especially on Paladin, the wings combo WRECK them. Y, A, A, or X, A, A to your hearts content, they won't be able to touch you and the wing burst does MASSIVE damage, especially if you're in shadow magic when you do it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Anonononomous posted:

To be fair, you're a lot less likely to accidentally run into the place out in the middle of the wasteland than you are to run into an aircraft carrier.

But there's nothing wrong with going onto the Carrier. It's the largest town in the game, and only one of the people there has an effect on the main quest.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

OxMan posted:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was touched upon a couple of pages ago but there is one tip I find absolutely indispensable.

Those combos that you bought once and never really used again? They all come in handy against enemies you fight way after you get the moves and forget them. One of these which is amazing all around is the dash run x, y. It's one of if not THE fastest block breaker and is indispensable against faster enemies that block, like the sword masters. Guillotine should be used against broken skeletons (and the slimes that hold you in place from the Knight/Laura's dolls. The block, jump, jump combo that you can then counter attack on is great against all large enemies other than trolls, who turn too fast for that to be effective. Also purchase the heavy combos, as these stun medium sized enemies and allow you to do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. As a matter of fact, with lucky positioning, you can take out 2 sword masters that are fairied at the same time if you heavy X combo them while they're stunned on Knight difficulty while in shadow mode. Finally, against small enemies, especially on Paladin, the wings combo WRECK them. Y, A, A, or X, A, A to your hearts content, they won't be able to touch you and the wing burst does MASSIVE damage, especially if you're in shadow magic when you do it.

What about the Holy Cross/Dark Cyclone/Really Evil Seismic Activity combos? Those saw next to no use from me...

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Yeah, Rivet City? Don't avoid it, just avoid the Science Lab.

The real place you want to avoid is Casey's garage. If you see Casey's garage, don't go in. Just don't.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I got Resonance of Fate a few days ago. The wiki has nothing on it, but I found some minor tips in this thread and I'm slowly making my way through the main thread, but I'd rather avoid any big spoilers.

I had played the game before when a friend lent it to me, so I have a grasp of the combat system; I'm looking for anything missable or tips in general.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Reveilled posted:

But there's nothing wrong with going onto the Carrier. It's the largest town in the game, and only one of the people there has an effect on the main quest.

Hell, there's nothing wrong of going into the science lab. It affects the skipped bit by changing the reward for Three-Dog's Quest and the fight outside against the behemoth.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 9, 2010

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
I just got Devil May Cry 4.

Any advice on upgrades?
Or anything I should know in particular?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Damonic posted:

I just got Devil May Cry 4.

Any advice on upgrades?
Or anything I should know in particular?

Learn how to use the Red Queen's accelerator effectively. Rev it up to full during any downtime to start it off in combat, and learn the timing to instantly rev it to full during an attack (IIRC, it's usually a moment after the actual attack lands). Additionally, it's good to invest in the charge attacks for Nero's gun. A fully charged shot is extremely useful against the phantom type enemies that don't stagger when you hit them until you break their cloak.

Also, abuse abuse abuse the Devil Bringer. It can seriously gently caress up pretty much everything, including bosses. If you see a boss act stunned, nail him with the Devil Bringer to do a massive combo. Some bosses attacks can also be countered with it. Everything else can be grabbed at pretty much any time, except a couple that need a part broken to be grabbable. When Nero gets his Devil Trigger, you can enable it during these combos to do even more damage.

When you encounter a pair of sentient suits of armor lead by a golden suit of armor, they can do a group attack that launches a large projectile that, if you deflect with your weapon or DB, will instantly kill all 3 and give you a SSS combo rank.

When you play as Dante, Gilgamesh has Real Impact. Unlock it right away. When you use Real Impact, activate his DT as soon as it makes contact and it'll do double damage, turn it off again right away to do triple damage, turn it on again for quadruple damage, and so forth until the attack ends. You can completely level a boss in two or three Real Impacts using this, and it's guaranteed to stun them after the first one.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Any advice for Pikmin 2? I've played it a couple times before but never beaten it, and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything (like tips on beating the burrowed buzzard heads).

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Ainsley McTree posted:

They're not required to finish, but they're still worth doing on account of being kinda fun and you're definitely right about them being hard to find a second time. You CAN see landmarks on your map (they're a darker grey than the rest of the buildings) and you can get a list of which landmarks have glyphs on them (somewhere in the start menu, can't remember where exactly), but what you cannot do is see where exactly those landmarks are on your map; not every landmark will have a glyph. To make matters worse, sometimes the game won't tell you that a glyph is on a landmark (or even what the landmark is) when you approach it after the first time.

Yeah I see what you mean. The game told me about a glyph while I was in the middle of a mission and I had to skip it. Now I don't know how to go back and find it. :( Guess I'll consult an FAQ eventually.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

21stCentury posted:

What about the Holy Cross/Dark Cyclone/Really Evil Seismic Activity combos? Those saw next to no use from me...

I didn't use those much as their alternatives (aka, breaking the block), are usually better, being rooted to one spot is tantamount to suicide in this game, but I'd say if any manner of use, you can always pull one out on a stunned enemy. I'd say sadly the most badass and yet MOST useless attack are the variations on the sawblade move, mainly for the same reason (keeps you rooted in one place) All of the running start moves are worth doing though, they do disproportionately large damage for how easy they are to get off, I usually use them as an opener on enemies I have to run towards anyways.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Cliff posted:

Any advice for Pikmin 2? I've played it a couple times before but never beaten it, and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything (like tips on beating the burrowed buzzard heads).

Try your damndest not to let any Purple Pikmin die.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

There aren't a limited number are there? I mean, I can keep going underground to respawn them at purple flowers right?

I remember that barbell I needed 100 purples for that I never got.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
There aren't, it's just a pain in the rear end going back through the underground areas farming up the amount needed to get that stupid barbel.

If you're careful with your Purples, you should not have any problems with it.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Alris posted:

There aren't, it's just a pain in the rear end going back through the underground areas farming up the amount needed to get that stupid barbel.

If you're careful with your Purples, you should not have any problems with it.

I played the game, lost a ton of Purples and quit. Years later I did the same drat thing :bang:

So yes, treat your Purples like there's a limited number available because farming them is the worst thing about the otherwise fantastic game.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Cliff posted:

About half the time, a burrowing snagret/snarrow will take longer to unearth itself, leaving its head vulnerable. Swarm its head to do a ton of damage and keep it from attacking until it regroups. It's usually better to retreat if it comes up quickly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Going to start No More Heroes 1 for the first time.

Anything to know?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Anything to know?

You will have to grind for money constantly between missions. The jobs you get really aren't the best way to earn it though, the kill a bunch of dudes missions definitely are though. Just learn to live with the cash grinding, its horrible and is the games monotonous filler.

The best or honestly, actual, ending to the game is only unlocked if you have all the weapons. This requires you to grind some wicked cash. The easiest way to do so is you'll unlock a mission to kill like 100 guys in an alley, grind to your hearts content on these idiots.

Go to the gym every chance you get and do all the training you can. Collecting the basketballs and getting Killer 7 inspired moves is unnecessary.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Block and evade often at most times. More importantly, learn and master the Dark Side Step (to do the Dark Side Step, you gotta repeatedly turn the analog stick left and right after successfully blocking an attack. When everything becomes dark and slow-mo, you've done it right. After that, proceed to mash that A button like a maniac.) I've mastered it, and even Bitter Shinobu is a cakewalk once I got used her pattern.

Speaking of which, since I haven't played the 2nd game, I would like to know how much has it improved over the first game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Anything to know?

The overworld is pretty empty, but make sure to open any dumpsters you find. They'll either have money or unique clothes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Barudak posted:

Go to the gym every chance you get and do all the training you can. Collecting the basketballs and getting Killer 7 inspired moves is unnecessary.

-Lies, the dash move is essential (and the money multiplier, though it's not much extra). Go the gym every chance you get though- if you don't go between missions you actually miss out on the stat boosts (and you get a bonus at game's end for not missing a trip). Speaking of gyms, each time you get a new katana go back and do the Dumbbell curl one, it gives you a longer combo with that katana (equip it first!)

-Look for turquoise dumpsters, they hold either a couple thousand LBs or a shirt.

-Don't worry about getting gold medals on side jobs, you don't get anything.

-Rank 5 is the hardest fight in the game. Make sure you're absolutely caught up on your grinding beforehand.

-Ranking fights can't be repeated, and there are decorative items for your apartment in each of them. If you're a completionist make sure you're thorough, especially before loading doors in a mission.

-There's a New Game+, and I'm pretty sure you can re-select your difficulty for it.

-Lovikov Balls (the "basketballs") make a humming sound when you're close.

-Playing with the cat doesn't accomplish anything but do it anyway :3:

-Assassination Job #18 is the best money-maker in the game hands down, but you get it pretty late (around the Rank 2 fight)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 11, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thwack! posted:

Speaking of which, since I haven't played the 2nd game, I would like to know how much has it improved over the first game.

For the most part, yes. Suda decided to give up trying to make a point about video games being a waste of time and ditched the useless open world segments. It's now a linear level-based action game with some mini-games strewn within. It's much more focused and story driven without having to grind for money inbetween levels.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

Anything to know?

Play on Easy unless your tolerance for re-playing long stretches of gameplay is high; nearly every boss has a move they belt out at low health that will utterly destroy you, so on Normal you'll re-do a boss fight over and over, whittling down their health just to have them use their low-health move to kill you and make you re-do it all again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tachyon: The Fringe. Finally decided to get this out and play it, and I'm having a blast. Losing all of my ships and getting exiled was a bit of a surprise, especially since I hadn't gotten around to delivering the cargo to Earth orbit when it happened, and now I don't think I can. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Play on Easy unless ...

Don't do this if you want the full ending! You need to beat the game on normal or bitter in order to see it!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vander posted:

Don't do this if you want the full ending! You need to beat the game on normal or bitter in order to see it!

Yeah, its pretty drat important you get that real ending.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Play on Easy unless your tolerance for re-playing long stretches of gameplay is high; nearly every boss has a move they belt out at low health that will utterly destroy you, so on Normal you'll re-do a boss fight over and over, whittling down their health just to have them use their low-health move to kill you and make you re-do it all again.

The bosses really aren't that hard once you start getting the mechanics down. I think that the most times I died on a boss after Rank 8 was once, and most of the time not even that. Normal offers some resistance, but not enough to warrant playing on Easy.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Barudak posted:

You will have to grind for money constantly between missions. The jobs you get really aren't the best way to earn it though, the kill a bunch of dudes missions definitely are though. Just learn to live with the cash grinding, its horrible and is the games monotonous filler.

Either you're misremembering or you're misapplying the term 'grinding'. You can get enough money for the next target, training etc. by doing only the missions that open up after you beat the last target right up until the last two-three targets, at which point you have an assassination available that nets you about $100k.

If you have OCD and must buy every vanity item that unlocks every time you'll have more trouble, but that's your decision.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Frankosity posted:

Either you're misremembering or you're misapplying the term 'grinding'. You can get enough money for the next target, training etc. by doing only the missions that open up after you beat the last target right up until the last two-three targets, at which point you have an assassination available that nets you about $100k.

If you have OCD and must buy every vanity item that unlocks every time you'll have more trouble, but that's your decision.

Even if you don't buy a single thing you'll have to play three or four mini-games/missions to get enough for the next rank. If you want the full ending, which requires you to purchase all the swords, double the above number.

The wrestling videos are entirely useless aside from cosmetic changes (I never noticed a change in damage) and clothing isn't important either unless you're tired of seeing Travis in his dirty jeans and dumb jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, I'm about to start Fallout 1 & 2. I've played both before, but I never get very far because I'm really bad at them. Any advice?

And while I'm asking, do I need to do anything special to get them to play properly on Windows 7? I'm using the Fallout Trilogy versions if that makes any difference.