Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Well it kind of is though he ain't a journalist and along with the larger body of the BBC union agreeing to the change it's not as clear cut.

So are assetco's workers not scabs then? There's no excuse for crossing a picket line regardless of who employs you, the point is that you're reducing the bargaining power of the workers, not that you're defying the organisation doing the bargaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ha what the gently caress Eastenders writers, another old man blackmailing a woman into sex in a creepy as gently caress way (this is like the 8th one in about 3 years) and some fun Eastern Europe kidnapping plans too.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Brown Moses posted:

The Walking Dead starts at 10pm tonight on FX.

YES! Thank you so much for reminding me. I forgot when it was on.

holy loving poo poo. What the hell is going on with Eastenders...

Onion Vanguard fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 5, 2010

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Shanty posted:

I watched the incredibly silly "Secrets of the Universe" last night. Am I insane or was the thirteen chimes thing a plot point in an episode of Captain Scarlet?

Holy crap I remember that as well!

CAP-TAIN SCAR-LET DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN

INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Shanty posted:

I watched the incredibly silly "Secrets of the Universe" last night. Am I insane or was the thirteen chimes thing a plot point in an episode of Captain Scarlet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxU_sQT4z6U

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Saw 3 mins of Stephen K Amos pretending to be his own mother, had to switch off. Terrible

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

thehustler posted:

Alan Davies, he's getting a LOT of poo poo this morning for not wanting to cross the NUJ picket to fill in for Danny Baker on 5live.

Danny Baker has cancer, but he won't say what type. I hope he's alright!

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

So are assetco's workers not scabs then? There's no excuse for crossing a picket line regardless of who employs you, the point is that you're reducing the bargaining power of the workers, not that you're defying the organisation doing the bargaining.

Could not agree more, youve hit the nail on the head. There is no excuse for crossing a picket line. End Of.

I watched that series about his teenage years and so now have much more resoect for the man in sticking by his principles.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

Could not agree more, youve hit the nail on the head. There is no excuse for crossing a picket line. End Of.

I watched that series about his teenage years and so now have much more resoect for the man in sticking by his principles.
Have you ever been in that situation? I have, I wasn't in the union, and I had to eat and pay the bills. But nah it's clear cut who the gently caress needs to make a living eh? End Of.

Edit: And I'd do it again now that I have a family to feed. You cock.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 6, 2010

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Maybe it's because it wasn't the usual set of wankers where I'm used to their particular kinds of arsiness, but was The Review Show last night a stealth parody? The hand movements, the insipid "insights".... there was a fat monologueist sat where there are normaly two guests... surely a piss-take?

Akuma posted:

I wasn't in the union

Here was your first mistake.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

Theshby posted:

Maybe it's because it wasn't the usual set of wankers where I'm used to their particular kinds of arsiness, but was The Review Show last night a stealth parody? The hand movements, the insipid "insights".... there was a fat monologueist sat where there are normaly two guests... surely a piss-take?

Haven't watched last night's yet. I watch it most weeks but I really shouldn't, it's not good for my health. I don't think the programme has ever managed to go longer than a few minutes without descending into four people talking over and interrupting each other. It's very rare that they have a guest on there with any sense of humility, the arrogance and "look what I know!" is maddening.

Plus it also frequently reminds me of the existence of the insufferable arse that is Paul Morley, which is never good.

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:
David Attenborough's new documentary is out on Iplayer- 'First Life'. Basically describes..well, the first life on Earth. I'm assuming there'll be a lot on the Cambrian period and such. But yes, I love David. :unsmith: :parrot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vspkd/David_Attenboroughs_First_Life_Arrival/

Edit: Bad side- it's not in HD. :smith:

Ezzie fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 6, 2010

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Oh man, I just love that intro. Captain Scarlet does not give a gently caress.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
Well he is indestructible.

Akuma posted:

Have you ever been in that situation? I have, I wasn't in the union, and I had to eat and pay the bills. But nah it's clear cut who the gently caress needs to make a living eh? End Of.

Edit: And I'd do it again now that I have a family to feed. You cock.

Yes and stealing bread to feed your family is the correct thing to do as well but theft is still immoral, and remaining honest when surrounded by crooks is still noble.

Sargeant Biffalot fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 6, 2010

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The only thing I remember about Captain Scarlet is that 13 strikes of Big Ben thing. It must have made a deep impression on a lot of us for some reason.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I thought Davies was a dick? How come y'all love him?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

There's no excuse for crossing a picket line

What, not even "I disagree with the position that these workers and /or their union are taking ?

It's almost as if taking an absolute position and then saying "end of" is silly.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yes and stealing bread to feed your family is the correct thing to do as well but theft is still immoral, and remaining honest when surrounded by crooks is still noble.
Right because all strikes are equal and noble and justified and the people striking are paragons of virtue and the employer must be in the wrong?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

HMV are doing an Armando Iannuchi collection for £50 which contains The Day Today, Knowing Me Knowing You, I'm Alan Partridge Series 1-2, Time Trumpet and The Thick of It Series 1-3 and the Specials. Not a bad deal if you don't own any of them on DVD, works out about a fiver a series.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=382878

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What, not even "I disagree with the position that these workers and /or their union are taking ?

It's almost as if taking an absolute position and then saying "end of" is silly.

Well as I've made a theft analogy I'm tempted to make a self-defense one, but the objections are both good so I'll amend my position: scabbing is an act of economic and political violence against a union's members and their families, it can never be a morally neutral act (except in the sense that the good and bad in it may sum to zero).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God, Armstrong and Miller is loving poo poo. Every sketch has a single idea that just goes on for absolutely forever and it wasn't funny to begin with.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Armstrong and Miller is loving brilliant and it's a million times better than that Mitchell and Webb shite you all seem to put up with.

I'm actually amazed that it's on primetime BBC1, given how filthy some of it is. The sketch they did with the teacher getting pilled up in a club and running into his pupils was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
Aw, Jack Duckworth's send off was really good tonight. :unsmith:

I had something in my eye OK!

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene
I loved the Bond/Neeson bit in The Trip tonight.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Bishy posted:

I loved the Bond/Neeson bit in The Trip tonight.

I think some of the impressions are okay, but they really need to exercise some self-restraint. Both episodes now have followed the not particularly exciting formula of: drive to restaurant, sit in restaurant, eat the food, make mildly funny jokes, do LOTS of impressions, Steve Coogan has a depressing phone call, end.

I dunno, it either feels like it needs to be a bit longer, to establish a sense of the 'trip' in question (brief shots of them driving through northern countryside at the beginning don't count), or it needs to be snappier and less self-indulgent. It's definitely watchable, but hardly mesmeric.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Leyburn posted:

Armstrong and Miller is loving brilliant and it's a million times better than that Mitchell and Webb shite you all seem to put up with.

I'm actually amazed that it's on primetime BBC1, given how filthy some of it is. The sketch they did with the teacher getting pilled up in a club and running into his pupils was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Son, you're loving crazy.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
They are both funny I think, dont understand the hate Armstrong and Miller gets. That open with them dancing is loving retarded though and I have to skip through it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Graviton v2 posted:

They are both funny I think, dont understand the hate Armstrong and Miller gets. That open with them dancing is loving retarded though and I have to skip through it.

Chav Spitfire pilots is excellent though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That dancing at the start and between sketches casts a shadow over everything in that show.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Chuckle Brothers has been on TV for 23 years

23 years

loving hell.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Barry and Paul have changed the comedy landscape, things have never been the same post-chuckle.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

A5H posted:

I thought Davies was a dick? How come y'all love him?

Its odd, I liked him less after the documentary. Posh kid rebelling against his tory dad.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Szymanski posted:

Posh kid rebelling against his tory dad.

Better than agreeing with him

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Anyone noticed that in Jamies 30 minute meals he drowns every single dish in olive oil?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Faithless posted:

Anyone noticed that in Jamies 30 minute meals he drowns every single dish in olive oil?

Every one of his meals does it, his ingredients list is usually;

Olive Oil
Chilli

Actual food

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

ibroxmassive posted:

Olive Oil
Chilli

Actual food

That's why he's called Jamie Oliver.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

ibroxmassive posted:

Olive Oil
Chilli

Actual food

Yeah he puts it in everything.
Then after he is done, he drizzles some more of it over the top.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
He did spend a poo poo load of time in italy and he is tv best mates with gino ginelli or whatever his ice cream name is.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

ibroxmassive posted:

Chuckle Brothers has been on TV for 23 years

23 years

loving hell.
Chucklehounds started in 1985. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

The brothers are from Maltby,Rotherham. In April 2007, while on holiday on the Greek island of Kefalonia, Paul broke his nose and received cuts and bruises when he lost control of his motorbike after suddenly braking to avoid a shepherd and his flock of goats. British tourists who stopped at the accident, instead of helping him out, shouted out the Chuckle Brothers' catchphrase: "To me, to you."

Brilliant.