Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I haven't seen that series of Curb, but in Seinfeld Jerry always had macs, he even had the super fancy limited edition 20th anniversary Macintosh. It had a flat screen! So I'm sure he would have an iPhone.

Also I'm laughing at the idea of 'Seinfeld canon.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Flobbster posted:

Here's something we can all argue about : Are the new Seinfeld scenes in Curb to be considered part of Seinfeld canon?

Yep, that's your Seinfeld finale do-over, and both Larry David and Jerry consider it an official Seinfeld episode.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Flobbster posted:

I guess that's expected when we haven't been able to see the characters evolve in the interim, and Seinfeld wasn't a show that usually had the latest technology of the day play a major role in the plot of an episode. (But I could be forgetting a couple.)
Jerry DID have a car phone. I dont remember many people having those.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

T. Finn posted:

Yep, that's your Seinfeld finale do-over, and both Larry David and Jerry consider it an official Seinfeld episode.

I loved that the rest of the cast kept talking about having a chance to "get it right" and fix the mistakes of the previous finale, while Larry kept insisting there was nothing wrong with it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Flobbster posted:

Here's something we can all argue about : Are the new Seinfeld scenes in Curb to be considered part of Seinfeld canon?
Uh, absolutely 100%. The basis of an entire scene was the whole cast ripping on how lousy the finale was.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Flobbster posted:

When I was watching that season of Curb and got to the last few episodes, the iPhone references gave me such an awkward anachronistic feeling. I guess that's expected when we haven't been able to see the characters evolve in the interim, and Seinfeld wasn't a show that usually had the latest technology of the day play a major role in the plot of an episode. (But I could be forgetting a couple.)

Sienfeld was always a product of it's time. Current events and pop culture were a constant source of stories and jokes. Get the DVDs and turn on the Notes about Nothing to realize just how often those kind of things actually come up.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Cage posted:

Jerry DID have a car phone. I dont remember many people having those.

"Hello? Can I ask you a question?"
"Sure"
"Did you steal my car?"
"Yes I did"
"That's my car!"
"I didn't know it was yours."

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
I haven't seen Curb yet so I don't know what kind of app George invented, but I've always thought of him when someone mentions that app that tells you where to find the best public restrooms.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Horseface posted:

I haven't seen Curb yet so I don't know what kind of app George invented, but I've always thought of him when someone mentions that app that tells you where to find the best public restrooms.

Whoa! -Kramer

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Bobfromsales posted:

Sienfeld was always a product of it's time. Current events and pop culture were a constant source of stories and jokes. Get the DVDs and turn on the Notes about Nothing to realize just how often those kind of things actually come up.

Yes, current events and pop culture were obviously a big deal, but what I was referring to was technology in particular. I'm having trouble remembering times when the "latest hot gadget" was the plot point in an episode. My memory could be clouded by the passing years, but it's not like the Wizard personal organizer or the label maker were the thing to own when a plot centered around them.

Then again, watching the show over a decade later means I wouldn't recognize the references as new for the time it was filmed.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Flobbster posted:

When I was watching that season of Curb and got to the last few episodes, the iPhone references gave me such an awkward anachronistic feeling. I guess that's expected when we haven't been able to see the characters evolve in the interim, and Seinfeld wasn't a show that usually had the latest technology of the day play a major role in the plot of an episode. (But I could be forgetting a couple.)

I would kill for George's app though, no lie.

There was one late episode about how someone made a cell phone call for something important, a breakup maybe? Apparently it was a faux pas to make that call from a cell phone instead of a landline. Weird thought.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Flobbster posted:

Yes, current events and pop culture were obviously a big deal, but what I was referring to was technology in particular. I'm having trouble remembering times when the "latest hot gadget" was the plot point in an episode. My memory could be clouded by the passing years, but it's not like the Wizard personal organizer or the label maker were the thing to own when a plot centered around them.

Then again, watching the show over a decade later means I wouldn't recognize the references as new for the time it was filmed.

The Wizard was supposed to be an early sort of palm pilot though. There weren't a lot of references to gadgets because it was still the 90s.

There was that joke about 'what's e-mail?' in the betrayal. And Kramer once mentioned how he heard about something in Jerry's personal life on the internet.

Jerry thought a 2 line phone was a very cool gift. the finale had the 'cell phone walk and talk' Numerous stuff about answering machines. Alarm Clocks.

Bobfromsales fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 7, 2010

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Bobfromsales posted:

Alarm Clocks.

Why separate knob? WHY SEPARATE KNOB?!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Chunk posted:

There was one late episode about how someone made a cell phone call for something important, a breakup maybe? Apparently it was a faux pas to make that call from a cell phone instead of a landline. Weird thought.

This was used in a recent British Telecom advert, a little girl was upset that her deadbeat dad was calling her from his mobile rather than from a BT landline. Because if you are calling from a mobile you aren't giving the other person your full attention because you must be down the pub or something. It was ludicrous.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

Chunk posted:

That was the finale.

If I call Jill from prison, do you think that would make up for the other ones?

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that the rest of the cast kept talking about having a chance to "get it right" and fix the mistakes of the previous finale, while Larry kept insisting there was nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, I loved that, especially since I agree with Larry.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

George: "I got greedy. Flew too close to the sun on Wings of Pastrami..."

Jerry: "Yeah, THAT'S what you did."

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Horseface posted:

I was just tellnig my brother last week that someone really needs to make this as an app.

I haven't seen the Curb episodes though and didn't know about this until right this moment so I guess this puts me on a wavelength with George...?

Noxville fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 8, 2010

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"The iToilet...And I invented it!!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

neoboman posted:

Yeah, I loved that, especially since I agree with Larry.

At the time I was disappointed in it because I'd let myself get too caught up in the hype of THE BIG FINALE but as the years have gone by and I've thought about it, it really was a stupendous finale. These horrible, horrible people finally having every horrible thing they've ever done come back on them and forced to sit there and suffer society's condemnation... and yet they still remain unaffected and indifferent to it all. Doubly effective because it forced the viewers to accept that, there's no getting around it, they might love Jerry, George, Kramer and Elaine but they ARE horrible, horrible people.

What makes me laugh now looking back is all the people who were convinced that the show would end with a marriage, like Jerry and Elaine getting married or something, which was just.... I mean... did these people ever watch the show?

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't seen those episodes yet but that is hilarious. I can totally picture it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Well I guess it's high time I started watching CYE.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Also hilarious is Larry getting personally offended when Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Jason Alexander talk about how much of an idiot George Costanza is since the character is based so much on him.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
And then Jason Alexander using his knowledge of all things "George" to seduce Cheryl, which enrages Larry because Alexander is just being Larry, etc.

Seriously go watch the the show if you've never seen it

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

At the time I was disappointed in it because I'd let myself get too caught up in the hype of THE BIG FINALE but as the years have gone by and I've thought about it, it really was a stupendous finale. These horrible, horrible people finally having every horrible thing they've ever done come back on them and forced to sit there and suffer society's condemnation... and yet they still remain unaffected and indifferent to it all. Doubly effective because it forced the viewers to accept that, there's no getting around it, they might love Jerry, George, Kramer and Elaine but they ARE horrible, horrible people.

What makes me laugh now looking back is all the people who were convinced that the show would end with a marriage, like Jerry and Elaine getting married or something, which was just.... I mean... did these people ever watch the show?

My sentiment exactly. If those people did watch the show, they clearly never got the point, that much is obvious. I'd get off on hearing all the trendy people who just watched the finale to be part of the event complain about it, if it weren't for the fact that the popular opinion still seems to be that the finale was subpar. As Larry said through George once: "I'm not going to dumb it down for some bonehead mass audience!"

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Jerusalem posted:

:aaaaa: Seinfeld is Camus' The Stranger in sitcom form!

I could totally see someone like George going to his own mother's funeral, and not only find the energy to complain about minor nuisances like the heat, but also remain emotionally unaffected.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crimsonjewfro posted:

:aaaaa: Seinfeld is Camus' The Stranger in sitcom form!

I could totally see someone like George going to his own mother's funeral, and not only find the energy to complain about minor nuisances like the heat, but also remain emotionally unaffected.

This is a guy who got told his fiance was dead and pretty much just reacted with,"Oh," and walked away with his friends and continued his life apparently completely unaffected.... till he later discovered he was now missing out on some material benefits.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bobfromsales posted:

Well that one is kind of true though. Most orchestras could play the standard repetoire in their sleep, and only need someone to say 'go.'

The bit is funny to me not as 'conductors are useless' but as 'all that arm waving up there ain't as important as he things it is.'

As I recall until the 19th century, the conductor and the first violinist were literally the same person. The movement of the bow was the object the rest of the orchestra used to keep time. There was no guy standing there at all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I completely agree, but at the time I didn't like it for 3 reasons: a huge chunk of it was just a clips episode, they weren't in New York, and they had some uncharacteristic sets (plane, small town). It just didn't feel the same to my 12 year old self.

In retrospect, however, I love the episode, and I've put it in nearly the exact same words as you before

feedmyleg posted:

But as for the finale, I've grown to love it in time as well. Aside from the clip show aspect of it, it just serves as a great reminder that no matter what happens to these people, no matter where they go or what they do, they'll always just be the same petty, small, selfish people.

The Curb Seinfeld finale was great, too, though, because it returned everything to the status quo, which is perfect for one of the most iconic sitcoms ever. The only thing that didn't work for me completely was Amanda. Cheryl's actress actually would have actually been perfect for the role, because although she's beautiful, she's got an unconventional look to her that fits with the cast of the show. The replacement girl just looked too much like a supermodel. George was rich enough at the time, I guess, that he could date upward.

Also: Why oh why didn't Larry throw some of his enormous personal wealth in and just film the entire episode as a DVD extra?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 8, 2010

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Relayer posted:

The one joke of his that always really bugs me due to it's ignorance is the one about how orchestras don't really need a conductor. They definitely do need a conductor, so much that the joke always comes off as genuinely ignorant to me as opposed to intentionally ignorant for the sake of humor, like the black box joke.

Not that I don't still find it extremely funny the way he mimes the nervous cello player.

Aren't most of his jokes based on ignorance? If he or his audience knew the answer he wouldn't ask what was the deal with tiny bags of airline peanuts. Remember, Jerry also made fun of a dermatologist for just being "Pimple Popper, M.D.," until he remembered that they also treated skin cancer.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
It doesn't surprise me that observational humor isn't big on the Internet, since we can use Google in five minutes to find out why we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway. I can still see it being big in a comedy club where no one's looking this up on their computers, though - no one person can know everything.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

feedmyleg posted:

The only thing that didn't work for me completely was Amanda. Cheryl's actress actually would have actually been perfect for the role, because although she's beautiful, she's got an unconventional look to her that fits with the cast of the show. The replacement girl just looked too much like a supermodel. George was rich enough at the time, I guess, that he could date upward.

Have you seen the show Seinfeld? :colbert: I tease, but we're talking about a guy who went out on a date with Marisa Tomei, and could have had a second date if it hadn't been for that whole pesky "being engaged" thing.

But yes, Cheryl Hines is way hotter than the actress who ended up playing George's ex-wife anyway.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

T. Finn posted:

Seriously go watch the the show if you've never seen it

My expression when Seinfeld fans say they don't watch it

CHET'S SHIRRRRRRRT AAUUUUUGHHH

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I do believe this entire thread has gone by without perhaps my favourite Seinfeld quote of all time:

"If you can't say something bad about a relationship, don't say anything at all"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've still never seen the last episode. Everytime I try something happens that prevents me from finishing it.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

I've still never seen the last episode. Everytime I try something happens that prevents me from finishing it.

There's a show, that's a show.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

neoboman posted:

My sentiment exactly. If those people did watch the show, they clearly never got the point, that much is obvious. I'd get off on hearing all the trendy people who just watched the finale to be part of the event complain about it, if it weren't for the fact that the popular opinion still seems to be that the finale was subpar. As Larry said through George once: "I'm not going to dumb it down for some bonehead mass audience!"
My enduring problem with that it was too wink-wink nudge-nudgey and precious for its own good and it ended up coming off as a crass "remember that?", classic cornball sitcom gimmicks I'd liked to have believed the brand was above. I'm all for righteous condemnation of some legendarily awful protagonists - not when it isn't anywhere near as funny as anything that came before it, however.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Flobbster posted:

But yes, Cheryl Hines is way hotter than the actress who ended up playing George's ex-wife anyway.

Literally never had a celebrity crush until I saw Cherly Hines in Curb. :allears:

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
I think part of what hurt the Seinfeld finale's reception was that it was preceded by a 30 minute clip-show. When the finale's humour was built on reminiscing, it felt kind of like a retread already.

Seeing it again years after, it was plenty funny, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
Just watched the "The Library", Philip Baker Hall is AMAZING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF2gZu3ygEQ