Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

HondaCivet posted:

Augh, I can't find my boyfriend any games he likes (yes I am more of a gamer than him) . . . he really liked Twilight Princess, Okami and Darksiders . . . are there any more good 3D Zelda-type games he could try? I can't get him to play Wind Waker either, it's "too easy" or too cartoony or something . . . aaaagh.

Try Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's like metroid but with Batman punching guys and it's seriously one of the best games I've ever played. If he doesn't like it you still get your moneys worth because you can hit him with it for being LAME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Category Fun! posted:

Try Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's like metroid but with Batman punching guys and it's seriously one of the best games I've ever played. If he doesn't like it you still get your moneys worth because you can hit him with it for being LAME.

Gonna second this recommendation. It's a fairly reliable rule of thumb that dudes love Batman, and this is the best Batman game by far.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Category Fun! posted:

Damnit, he already played this one too. :( Thanks though.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

HondaCivet posted:

Damnit, he already played this one too. :( Thanks though.

I haven't played it yet but it SEEMS that the newest Castlevania fits the same mold - relatively simpler combat, big set pieces, huge boss fights.

If he was into pure action the obvious choice would be Bayonetta or Vanquish, but based on Zelda/Darksiders comparison.. that seems more apt.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm looking for an RPG with a real-time, yet fairly involved combat system. I'll explain. I played WoW for a good while, and while I'm not much for the game anymore, I really dug the combat system. Basically, no matter what class you were, you had aywhere from 4-6 different abilities you'd use per combat session. If you were a warlock, for example, you might kill an enemy by casting 3 to 4 damage-over-time spells on an enemy at once, then you'd use direct damage spells on the enemy as extra damage, as the damage-over-time spells were ticking away. As a mage, you'd do something like cast an ice bolt at an enemy, which would damage them and slow their movement, and when they got close to you, you could freeze it in place, then run away a little bit, then cast more ice bolts, and it only gets more complex from there.

Basically, can anybody recommend a good RPG where combat is basically like WoW's, that is, each instance of it is basically a series of steps and choices you make that damage your enemy or enemies?

I don't care if it's a single character or party-based RPG, and it doesn't matter if it's relatively new or old, as long as it's no older than, say, the infinity engine.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

GreatGreen posted:

I'm looking for an RPG with a real-time, yet fairly involved combat system. I'll explain. I played WoW for a good while, and while I'm not much for the game anymore, I really dug the combat system. Basically, no matter what class you were, you had aywhere from 4-6 different abilities you'd use per combat session. If you were a warlock, for example, you might kill an enemy by casting 3 to 4 damage-over-time spells on an enemy at once, then you'd use direct damage spells on the enemy as extra damage, as the damage-over-time spells were ticking away. As a mage, you'd do something like cast an ice bolt at an enemy, which would damage them and slow their movement, and when they got close to you, you could freeze it in place, then run away a little bit, then cast more ice bolts, and it only gets more complex from there.

Basically, can anybody recommend a good RPG where combat is basically like WoW's, that is, each instance of it is basically a series of steps and choices you make that damage your enemy or enemies?

I don't care if it's a single character or party-based RPG, and it doesn't matter if it's relatively new or old, as long as it's no older than, say, the infinity engine.

You might want to try out Numen: Contest of Heroes.

Also, does anyone know of anything like this (I doubt it exists but whatever):

A multiplayer city building game. What I mean is like, you guys know of Cities XL right? Well, imagine the MP portion of that.. only no monthly fees and didn't fail extremely badly.

My friend and I are bored, and we both like city building games, but 100% of the ones we know are SP; like Tropico 3 and Sim City games.

Does anyone know of any?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ziji posted:

You might want to try out Numen: Contest of Heroes.

Haha, I'm not falling for that one. :) I've followed the Steam thread enough to know how awful that game is.

But yeah, if Numen was actually a good game, that would be right up my alley as far as what I'm looking for.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

GreatGreen posted:

Haha, I'm not falling for that one. :) I've followed the Steam thread enough to know how awful that game is.

But yeah, if Numen was actually a good game, that would be right up my alley as far as what I'm looking for.

To be honest, I picked it up for $2 and I only played like 10 minutes of it before a buddy wanted me to play L4D2... then I forgot about it.

My bad.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Besides the standard EA games/Undisputed/Smackdown or whatever, are there any excellent boxing/MMA/wrestling games out there? Career mode is a huge plus, PC is preferred but I've also got a 360.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

GreatGreen posted:

It's probably a fairly obvious answer, but Dragon Age: Origins is a lot like this. Playing on the harder difficulties can involve some serious strategy. I gather you've already played it though.

Arctic
Dec 4, 2005

HondaCivet posted:

Augh, I can't find my boyfriend any games he likes (yes I am more of a gamer than him) . . . he really liked Twilight Princess, Okami and Darksiders . . . are there any more good 3D Zelda-type games he could try? I can't get him to play Wind Waker either, it's "too easy" or too cartoony or something . . . aaaagh.

Maybe it'll be too easy/cartoony but there's Beyond Good & Evil which is on PC, PS2, Xbox and GC.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hope this is the right place to ask since it didn't seem worth starting a thread over, but I can't remember the name of a specific game.

It was a side scrolling platformer for DOS and played Moonlight Sonata on the title screen. I think there was also a scrolling text intro over a post-apocalyptic landscape.
I may have misremembered some details but I hope that's enough info to identify it.

Edit: It was Thexder.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 9, 2010

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
This one still gets bumped every once in a while, probably more what you're after.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2855926

(Sorry I have no idea what the game is.)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Please recommend me a farming game for the PC without superfluous BS. I only want to be doing farming poo poo and I don't want it to take 'real' time. I mean that I don't want to do Farmville because it takes real time for stuff to happen and I don't really want to do Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon because they have lots of other stuff you need to be doing besides growing things. I'm thinking business or tycoon-style, rather than a farming RPG thing.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
I haven't played this, only spotted it on Steam, but perhaps worth a look? http://store.steampowered.com/app/90200/

Edit: "Assume the role of a farmer experiencing the challenge of 18 hour days..."

Whoa, okay maybe not.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Anjow posted:

Please recommend me a farming game for the PC without superfluous BS. I only want to be doing farming poo poo and I don't want it to take 'real' time. I mean that I don't want to do Farmville because it takes real time for stuff to happen and I don't really want to do Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon because they have lots of other stuff you need to be doing besides growing things. I'm thinking business or tycoon-style, rather than a farming RPG thing.

Well, it's old as heck but you could give SimFarm a go? It's from the days when Maxis titles that started with Sim were practically on the border between gaming and 'edutainment'.

Besides that and the new farming simulator on Steam that appears to be an exercise in hard-core masochism, I'm not sure if anything else fits the bill.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Supreme Allah posted:

I haven't played it yet but it SEEMS that the newest Castlevania fits the same mold - relatively simpler combat, big set pieces, huge boss fights.

If he was into pure action the obvious choice would be Bayonetta or Vanquish, but based on Zelda/Darksiders comparison.. that seems more apt.

Don't the Castlevania games have a lot of backtracking/exploring stuff like Metroid? I couldn't get him to play Metroid Prime because there was too much backtracking. :(

And he also already played Beyond Good and Evil. He goes through games fast. :\

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

HondaCivet posted:

Don't the Castlevania games have a lot of backtracking/exploring stuff like Metroid?

Not the new one.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

I haven't played this, only spotted it on Steam, but perhaps worth a look? http://store.steampowered.com/app/90200/

Edit: "Assume the role of a farmer experiencing the challenge of 18 hour days..."

Whoa, okay maybe not.

When I saw that on the news page, I laughed like a maniac and sent it to like half my friendslist. The funniest thing I've seen on Steam in ages.

Calantus
Sep 26, 2006

I want to play an FPS online with my brother but I haven't kept up with FPS games for years, so please reccommend one for us.

It must be:

- Modern(ish).
- On the PC.
- Team-based.
- Still have a large community.
- "Realistic" in that it avoids people jumping around like crack monkeys. We like our FPSs a little slower and "tactical" than that.

Bonus points for:

- Less vehicles = more better.
- NICE interface and matchmaking. Take a look at bf2142. That's the perfect example of the opposite of what I'd prefer.
- Respawning. Counter-strike is great for when you want counter-strike, but a lot of the time it's just nicer if your buddy respawns.

We used to play a shitload of counter-strike and bf2142 and loved both in their own way if that helps. Honestly, bf2142 -vehicles -titans -lovely interface/matchmaking would be perfect.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Calantus posted:

I want to play an FPS online with my brother but I haven't kept up with FPS games for years, so please reccommend one for us.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 might wet your whistle.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

What would you guys recommend for a simple yet still fun 4x game? My only real foray into the genre was Civilization 4, and I would have really enjoyed that game except for the fact that the tutorial was fairly brief and I basically had to look up what's what online since the game (and manual) did somewhat of a poor job putting an emphasis on what's actually important to have and what everything really MEANS, beyond its in-game definition. I have all major systems (including a gaming PC) released in the last 10 years excepting the PS3 and Wii. MASSIVE points for portability, but nowhere near a prerequisite.

I'm willing to forsake simplicity for an in-depth system that's actually well explained, both in game terms and in what it means to the player.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

OxMan posted:

What would you guys recommend for a simple yet still fun 4x game? My only real foray into the genre was Civilization 4, and I would have really enjoyed that game except for the fact that the tutorial was fairly brief and I basically had to look up what's what online since the game (and manual) did somewhat of a poor job putting an emphasis on what's actually important to have and what everything really MEANS, beyond its in-game definition. I have all major systems (including a gaming PC) released in the last 10 years excepting the PS3 and Wii. MASSIVE points for portability, but nowhere near a prerequisite.

I'm willing to forsake simplicity for an in-depth system that's actually well explained, both in game terms and in what it means to the player.

Well, Civilization 5 just came out and I think it's safe to say that it's more accessible than Civ 4 was? The resource model is somewhat more straight-forward and you don't have any expansions yet. I'd give that a shot.

There's also Civ: Revolutions for the XBOX I suppose.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Calantus posted:

It must be:

- Modern(ish).
- On the PC.
- Team-based.
- Still have a large community.
- "Realistic" in that it avoids people jumping around like crack monkeys. We like our FPSs a little slower and "tactical" than that.

Bonus points for:

- Less vehicles = more better.
- NICE interface and matchmaking. Take a look at bf2142. That's the perfect example of the opposite of what I'd prefer.
- Respawning. Counter-strike is great for when you want counter-strike, but a lot of the time it's just nicer if your buddy respawns.

We used to play a shitload of counter-strike and bf2142 and loved both in their own way if that helps. Honestly, bf2142 -vehicles -titans -lovely interface/matchmaking would be perfect.

Bad Company 2 has fewer vehicles than 2/2142, and the ones that are there have reduced roles. Tanks can be taken out in no time by the infantry and air power doesn't terrorize nearly as much. It's far more focused on infantry combat than any of the other battlefield games due to how fragile and less deadly vehicles now are.

Downsides: Matchmaking is nonexistent. The server browser is decent now (was terrible at launch), so it's not too hard to join the same server, but there's no party system and the game wont make any effort to make it easy to join the same server or join in on the same team. Other biggest downside is that the perk system is poorly thought out and balanced, imo. Newbies have it harder in BFBC2 than almost any other modern shooter I've played, mostly due to the Magnum Ammo perk.

It's still a really fun game to play and one of the best online FPSes out there, and fits most of your criteria.

The other option is to pick up Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops, which just came out. They're a lot more fast paced than Battlefield, and maybe too much so for your liking, but it's not exactly Quake or anything. You can occasionally pull off stupid stunts like jumping around corners but you're still on the ground for the most part. It's fast paced in the sense that people die fast, movement speed is pretty decent, and the maps are designed around sprinting around cover, flanking, and that kind of stuff. And I think they're built really well for just a couple players in a party teaming up and getting poo poo done together, since most matches (in MW2) are 6v6 and you don't need large team efforts to accomplish objectives, the two of you can often handle things on your own. With MW2, IWnet isn't great and there's often a bit of latency in the games, but buddying up with a friend and joining games together is a breeze. Black Ops uses dedicated servers with a server browser, but apparently it also integrates the Steam friends list feature. I haven't played it so I don't know how easy that is to use.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
I'd have a look at the Black Ops PC thread first if you're planning on getting it. There are some launch issues at the moment that make it pretty much unplayable for some people. It's being worked on, and hopefully we'll see a fix soon, but I'd hold off for now if I were you. The Steam integration is pretty sketchy at the moment, too.

That said, based on early impressions it does seem to fit basically all of your criteria, except matchmaking. Then again, it's a CoD game, so you probably know whether or not you'll like it already if you've played any of the other recent entries.

Calantus
Sep 26, 2006

I'll definitely try out the bad company 2 demo as that sounds pretty good.

On the CoD front, I haven't played one since the very first. How do modern warfare and black ops compare to eachother on a gameplay perspective?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
So what's good on the Amstrad CPC?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sizone posted:

So what's good on the Amstrad CPC?

Lemmings.

Outside of that, there was Outrun, Target Renegade, Turrican II and Prince of Persia but I can't really talk about much else that the Armstrad CPC had going for it. I'd also like to say pretty much all of those recommendations come from those games being awesome on other computers of the era, although I'm certain now that I've suggested them I'll learn the Armstrad versions started small fires.

Pre-Windows PC gaming blew, and yes, I stand by that ridiculous and outlandishly hyperbolic statement.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
What I've noticed so far that really gets me is how few of the games have background music. Emulated, at least, it sounds like the machine had a soundchip more or less equivalent to the C64, only with much better filters. I'm assuming that music would require too many precious processor clicks to have added in. Also, much like the C64, there's a -wide- disparity in terms of game graphics. Some look pretty good (adjusted for time period) and some look terrible. Figured it would be worth a lark, the number of games I run across made by European studios is pretty well dwarfed by the number made proudly in America :911: and Japan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Word on the street is the RoboCop game is pretty good and does a unique thing with the sound processor at the title screen. You may want to give that game a peek if your trying to see all the interesting things the Armstrad CPC can do.

Uh, why exactly are you playing an Armstrad CPC if I may ask? Its not exactly a popular or cult-classic system.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Two reasons: There's a good emulator of it for the DS and, again, I kind of want to see what the more European games were like at the time. Given the size of the library, while it may not have been popular, it also doesn't seem like a undersupported platform.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sizone posted:

Two reasons: There's a good emulator of it for the DS and, again, I kind of want to see what the more European games were like at the time. Given the size of the library, while it may not have been popular, it also doesn't seem like a undersupported platform.

I wasn't trying to say it was undersupported or anything, its just that when most people go diving into pre-windows PC gaming its not usually with the Armstrad CPC. Amiga and C64 tend to do all the heavy lifting so I was curious as to the reason behind it.

Emulation is a godsend with those machines. No, to hell with you R:Tape Loading Error.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Fair enough, I've played with C64 emulation before (even had a couple of working ones at various times before taking them apart for their SIDs) and I would consider the Amiga to be post-pre-windows based on capabilities if not entirely the timeframe (I'm a little more interested in stuff similar to NES/Coleco games at the moment than Megadrive/pc-cdrom era stuff). So you can add the following other two things to the list of my reasons: I'm running out of other stuff to fiddle with and it's there.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

bonds0097 posted:

Well, Civilization 5 just came out and I think it's safe to say that it's more accessible than Civ 4 was? The resource model is somewhat more straight-forward and you don't have any expansions yet. I'd give that a shot.

There's also Civ: Revolutions for the XBOX I suppose.

Bah, Civ just didn't really GRAB me. Any others?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

OxMan posted:

Bah, Civ just didn't really GRAB me. Any others?

Ehm, well if you aren't stuck on Real-World 4X you could give Galactic Civilization 2 a shot. When it comes to space-4X, Sword of the Stars is my game of choice.

The Total War games are sort of simplied 4X games with real-time combat, may want to check out Napoleon or Empire (people tend to either love or hate TW games).

Paradox makes some interesting 4X games but they tend to make Civ look simple but you may want to check them out anyhow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sizone posted:

Fair enough, I've played with C64 emulation before (even had a couple of working ones at various times before taking them apart for their SIDs) and I would consider the Amiga to be post-pre-windows based on capabilities if not entirely the timeframe (I'm a little more interested in stuff similar to NES/Coleco games at the moment than Megadrive/pc-cdrom era stuff). So you can add the following other two things to the list of my reasons: I'm running out of other stuff to fiddle with and it's there.

Have you played any MSX games? I mean it might be a tad advanced (running 1983-1995) but its interesting since it was Microsoft's first gaming console and has a gigantic Japanese catalog.

In addition you may want to look at ZX Spectrum, home of R:Tape Loading Error madness, and games like Rebelstar, Stop the Express, Rainbow Islands, and Chase H.Q.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Recommend me a game based around crafting and trade
PC only thanks.

OMGNate
Dec 4, 2005
Gay for SumoJo
Guys, I'm looking for some PS3 / PSP games that were great games, but weren't huge releases. I prefer that they not be new releases, as I've been keeping up with all the releases from within the past 3 months or so.

I'm talking things like Brutal Legend, Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls for PS3.
PSP, the only one I've come up with is Patapon.

Help me out.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
Hey guys, I'm looking for a game to patiently wait for Diablo 3. I want a RPG along the lines of Diablo 3/Titan's Quest with a great (and still alive) multiplayer. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapt
Sep 21, 2010

trapt posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a game to patiently wait for Diablo 3. I want a RPG along the lines of Diablo 3/Titan's Quest with a great (and still alive) multiplayer. Thanks!

Anyone?