Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005
Well I just ordered one from Amazon. Thanks to Amazon Prime for free, it is only $4 for next day shipping. Hopefully it is a great box, and doesn't have to be returned.

I have NBA League Pass Broadband. Does anyone know if that will work on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone with the box know if the Wireless N is 5ghz or 2.4ghz?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

Was yours just stuck in with misc PC stuff too? I was honestly ready to give up when I saw this black box with a hint of green and went "HMM!"

It was like a treasure hunt, sorta. Treasure I had to pay $200 for.

I love when you come across some hidden little thing when your browsing around a big box store. I was just in a Best Buy a month ago when I was walking along:

"drat, they've got no copies of StarcrHELLLLOOOOOO, what's this!? The full series box set of Kids in The Hall.... right net the the full box set of Monty Python's Flying Circus?!? SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I don't have prime and didn't feel like paying extra for shipping. Amazon says ETA is monday but I'm hoping it shows up friday. Or even Sat since its a USPS tracking (DC) number. I care about 20% about netflix, 5% about streaming, and 75% about NAS performance (since I have like 3.5TB on movies/TV on my NAS).

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

ilkhan posted:

I don't have prime and didn't feel like paying extra for shipping. Amazon says ETA is monday but I'm hoping it shows up friday. Or even Sat since its a USPS tracking (DC) number. I care about 20% about netflix, 5% about streaming, and 75% about NAS performance (since I have like 3.5TB on movies/TV on my NAS).

Netflix apparently won't be in immediately, but it is coming. NAS performance seems great. It takes a while to scan the whole library (and we have a fraction of what you do). And there's one annoying glitch where it mislabels TV shows as movies and just won't let me fix them, but I expect that to be fixed in 1.0. Otherwise I couldn't be happier so far - it's so nice to finally have a proper solution for watching stuff off the NAS.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LittleCat posted:

Netflix apparently won't be in immediately, but it is coming. NAS performance seems great. It takes a while to scan the whole library (and we have a fraction of what you do). And there's one annoying glitch where it mislabels TV shows as movies and just won't let me fix them, but I expect that to be fixed in 1.0. Otherwise I couldn't be happier so far - it's so nice to finally have a proper solution for watching stuff off the NAS.

This is totally my view of it after messing around with it for the past few hours, it's amazing for cataloging and presenting all my painstakingly gathered video from my NAS and the shows look fantastic on the TV.

I'm curious, will it continue to identify shows if I hit the "logout" or does it put it into low power mode? I just left it on for now and turned off the tv instead.

Anyone feel like adding other folks on the boxee friends? I'm "priznat" on there as well.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
So I was going to ask if the Boxee Box has better music support than Boxee pre-1.0, and now I'm seeing that there's not even a music option on the home page :psyduck:

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
does the boxee box support wake on lan and the ability to send a magic packet?

i need a device that can send a magic packet to wake up my windows home server, ideally whenever the device is turned on. i don't want iphone apps or any other bullshit like that, just a streamer that can send a magic packet. thank you for any help.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think I'll need to pick one of these up once Hulu support is added. Seems like this is the answer to my cheap-1080p-network-streaming-xbmc-replacement dreams :).

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
I'm thinking about getting some kind of set-top box. The Boxee Box looks nice, but I'm wondering what justifies it being twice as expensive as the Roku or Apple TV. Can someone summarize what the Boxee Box offers over either of those?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

priznat posted:

I guess it is hit or miss depending on the bestbuy, the one here had no such section but I think someone had mentioned earlier in the thread there was going to be a similar media section in a bestbuy they went to.

Streaming a 1080p mkv from my NAS now, it rocks :cool:

I hope the nhl gamecenter thing will be added tomorrow in the 1.0 update.

Have you (or anyone else) been able to stress test this puppy yet? My ONLY concern with this box is that it'll choke on really heavy blu-ray rips/etc. If this sucker chugs along just fine, I'm in love. (I'm getting mine tomorrow!)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

I'm thinking about getting some kind of set-top box. The Boxee Box looks nice, but I'm wondering what justifies it being twice as expensive as the Roku or Apple TV. Can someone summarize what the Boxee Box offers over either of those?

It should play any online flash content is the big difference over other devices.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

It should play any online flash content is the big difference over other devices.

My impression was that it's Achilles heel is that it doesn't have the Apple or Google app store support, if you care about that kind of stuff. The underlying philosophy of the device is to play anything you can throw at it. The social aspects and such are ancillary in my opinion. I want something I can plug into any TV and it'll play anything on my network in high quality without flaws. Watching stuff online is not much in my use-case so I can't speak much to it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

Neither the AppleTV nor the Roku box play local content, they are strickly streaming boxes only. (actually, AppleTV can if it's iTunes format and in the iTunes library.)

Actually, just read this. http://gizmodo.com/5649560/video-box-battle-royale-who-should-be-your-tvs-new-best-friend

TraderStav posted:

My impression was that it's Achilles heel is that it doesn't have the Apple or Google app store support, if you care about that kind of stuff.

Apple TV doesn't have an app store.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Is anyone successfully running the new Boxee on an old AppleTV? I gave up a year or so ago and moved to XBMC, but would like to give it a shot again if it's useable.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

That list is old and a lot of things on the Boxee Box section is wrong. And it also references the old Apple TV, not the new one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

LittleCat posted:

Perfect.
Although I'm gonna have to rename human readable names to boxee approved dots and poo poo. "Name of Show - 00x00 - episode.mkv" apparently isn't gonna get correctly parsed by boxee. Same for movies. FML

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BorderPatrol posted:

Neither the AppleTV nor the Roku box play local content, they are strickly streaming boxes only. (actually, AppleTV can if it's iTunes format and in the iTunes library.)

Actually, just read this. http://gizmodo.com/5649560/video-box-battle-royale-who-should-be-your-tvs-new-best-friend

Apple TV doesn't have an app store.

Yet!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DudeDeuce posted:

That list is old and a lot of things on the Boxee Box section is wrong. And it also references the old Apple TV, not the new one.

It's about a month and a half old and it does indeed reference the new Apple TV. There's a picture of it right at the beginning of the article.

I'm sure the listing for Boxee do not reference any of the 1.0 features or anything announced yesterday.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Perfect.
Although I'm gonna have to rename human readable names to boxee approved dots and poo poo. "Name of Show - 00x00 - episode.mkv" apparently isn't gonna get correctly parsed by boxee. Same for movies. FML

That's exactly the naming convention I use with the current boxee beta and will be using with the box whenever Amazon decides to ship my poo poo. (Preordered two months ago, It would be nice for them to ship it on release day.) It works fine. I'd recommend throwing the year in the title for certain stuff like Doctor Who otherwise you might have issues.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

It's about a month and a half old and it does indeed reference the new Apple TV. There's a picture of it right at the beginning of the article.

I'm sure the listing for Boxee do not reference any of the 1.0 features or anything announced yesterday.

I don't know, a lot of the Boxee features that were there before today don't seem to be listed.

You can definitely rent movies and, I believe, tv shows through apps, which it -does- have. It also has iPhone integration (boxee remote). And it supports USB storage, while it only lists SD. A bunch more codecs.

It also doesn't currently have Netflix or Hulu support, but I guess it will so that's quibbling.

To the original point, though - if you want a box that can play your own local or networked files, boxee is a good choice. If you want a pure streaming box, it's probably not ideal.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

LittleCat posted:

To the original point, though - if you want a box that can play your own local or networked files, boxee is a good choice. If you want a pure streaming box, it's probably not ideal.

I'm really curious to hear Boxee Box vs Revo w/ XBMC for playing local content. The extra online content is bonus, but if I wanted to buy my parents a box that can play a lot of local content from a directly-attached 1TB USB drive, what is my best option? The Boxee Box appeals to me because of the price and the remote but I worry that the software is too buggy for regular use. Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts after they spend more time with it.

jmoney
May 15, 2003

what might have been

Chaucer posted:

if I wanted to buy my parents a box that can play a lot of local content from a directly-attached 1TB USB drive, what is my best option?

You want a WDTV.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Chaucer posted:

I'm really curious to hear Boxee Box vs Revo w/ XBMC for playing local content. The extra online content is bonus, but if I wanted to buy my parents a box that can play a lot of local content from a directly-attached 1TB USB drive, what is my best option? The Boxee Box appeals to me because of the price and the remote but I worry that the software is too buggy for regular use. Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts after they spend more time with it.

Well, Boxee works well for local content. I've encountered exactly one bug: If TV series aren't named correctly (Series.s#e#.extras.filetype), they occasionally get mislabelled as movies. If that happens, you can't fix them without renaming the files manually (And yes, that's still a problem in 1.0, which is unfortunate).

Otherwise it seems extremely slick and user friendly so far. Don't know if it's the *best* option, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ThinkFear posted:

That's exactly the naming convention I use with the current boxee beta and will be using with the box whenever Amazon decides to ship my poo poo. (Preordered two months ago, It would be nice for them to ship it on release day.) It works fine. I'd recommend throwing the year in the title for certain stuff like Doctor Who otherwise you might have issues.
Interesting. Renaming is on hold, then.
I was going off of this page.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iFitit has the teardown already
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Boxee-Box-Teardown/4109/1

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 11, 2010

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I'm not a big fan of 1.0, they have removed a couple features I wanted.

There is no longer a mark as watched/mark as unwatched option, and watching any video even for a few seconds marks it as watched.

There is no longer an option to continuously index an external drive, only scan never, scan once, and scan daily.

Clicking on movies/tv shows now takes you to the "popular' section by default, which seems to give you content that is popular on all their media affiliates. If you want your own content, you need to navigate to tv shows->files, and even then you might see random episodes available on other sources (my two seasons of Fringe include one random S3E5 available on CTV). Since the sidebar is gone, the only search box now comes up on the guide, and if you search for a tv show it will find you everything it can from all it's content providers (a process that can be pretty slow) before it just shows you your file.

The queue has been replaced with a favorites system, I don't know how well that works yet but it seems pretty simple and easy to use on the plus side. I'm really just frustrated about the things they have removed (continuous scanning, mark as watched) because I don't understand why they got rid of them. I can live with all the content integration, though I wish they made it easier to get to the files I actually want.

Nall fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 11, 2010

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

BorderPatrol posted:

Does anyone with the box know if the Wireless N is 5ghz or 2.4ghz?

Can't get it to use my 5ghz channel, and I read while trying to figure out why that it doesn't support it. Kind of pissed.

Otherwise, it is a nice change from using PS3 Media Server and my PS3 to do all of my streaming.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please keep the reviews coming. Anxiously awaiting whether or not this is a buy / no-buy. Need some sort of HTPC as the 360 isn't cutting it these days.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
This thing does not want to show my drives from my USB hub connected to my Airport Extreme. You click Network -> Airport Extreme -> and then its just blank.

The Youtube app sucks rear end. I have to turn off the subtitles for every movie I play, there's no universal setting to shut them off.

I'm having buyer's remorse.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
There is absolutely 0 reason to get Boxee when XBMC exists and is far better in every field except applications. Seems that Boxee 1.0 will be released as software eventually, meaning if you really do want those applications you can get it and run it on your custom-made HTPC.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Anal Volcano posted:

There is absolutely 0 reason to get Boxee when XBMC exists and is far better in every field except applications. Seems that Boxee 1.0 will be released as software eventually, meaning if you really do want those applications you can get it and run it on your custom-made HTPC.

There's definitely one reason - building a custom made HTPC is a bit more complicated than going to Best Buy and picking up a box that's all ready to go. I'm not computer retarded (I built my desktop system, so that's gotta be something), but trying to figure out which processor I'd need and how to make a fanless system and poo poo got overwhelming fast... and most of the stuff it seemed like I'd need was from the US, and shipping is a bitch.

This was quick, easy, relatively cheap, and plays HD video without a hitch. Works for me.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

DudeDeuce posted:

This thing does not want to show my drives from my USB hub connected to my Airport Extreme. You click Network -> Airport Extreme -> and then its just blank.

Do you normally have issues with your USB hub connected drives? If you can see them on your mac/pc then all you need to do to connect them to boxee is enter the address manually in sources including the drive path. For me it was smb://10.0.1.1/STORAGE with the username and password for the drive.

Boxee seems to have issues opening the airport extreme itself to see all the drives inside it, connecting directly to the drive fixed that problem for me and it's been smooth sailing since then (it took a long time to index the drive so be ready for that).

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

Nall posted:

Do you normally have issues with your USB hub connected drives? If you can see them on your mac/pc then all you need to do to connect them to boxee is enter the address manually in sources including the drive path. For me it was smb://10.0.1.1/STORAGE with the username and password for the drive.

Boxee seems to have issues opening the airport extreme itself to see all the drives inside it, connecting directly to the drive fixed that problem for me and it's been smooth sailing since then (it took a long time to index the drive so be ready for that).

I don't even see a way to manually add a drive with Boxee 1.0. Where is that option?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anal Volcano posted:

Except a Boxee is $200. I think it would be difficult to build a custom-made HTPC for that price.

As to the XBMC comment, I have it installed and have been tinkering with it. How do I get Netflix to work? Oh wait, that's right, you can't.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

DudeDeuce posted:

I don't even see a way to manually add a drive with Boxee 1.0. Where is that option?

settings > file sources > add sources

scroll to the bottom (if you have a long list) to "manually enter IP / Name..."

It's worth noting (if this matters to you) that the boxee box runs a SMB share server as well, and if you set up the box to go into power saving mode after like 15 minutes of inactivity, it virtually shuts off but keeps the SMB active. So you could plug the drive directly into it as well and still use it as a network share. OPTIONS.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

Nall posted:

settings > file sources > add sources

scroll to the bottom (if you have a long list) to "manually enter IP / Name..."

It's worth noting (if this matters to you) that the boxee box runs a SMB share server as well, and if you set up the box to go into power saving mode after like 15 minutes of inactivity, it virtually shuts off but keeps the SMB active. So you could plug the drive directly into it as well and still use it as a network share. OPTIONS.

Ok thanks for the location. Unfortunately, I keep getting connection timed out when adding a drive. I just don't understand this. My wd tv live found my drives with no problem.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

jmoney posted:

You want a WDTV.

Doesn't it have a terrible laggy interface?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Been playing stuff on my Boxee Box all day and nothing has so much of a hiccup yet.

I have noticed the filename naming issue so I'll have to muck about with some renaming scripts I have to do batch renames.

Make sure you turn off the lock in the setup menu preventing adult content to get the full list of the online apps btw ;) :tipshat:

Can't wait for Netflix to arrive. No Vudu in Canada I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

DudeDeuce posted:

Ok thanks for the location. Unfortunately, I keep getting connection timed out when adding a drive. I just don't understand this. My wd tv live found my drives with no problem.

Are you certain you are connecting to the drive directly and not just the Airport itself? Also double check your username and password. To test mine, I connected through finder go->connect to server on my macbook. If you can directly connect to the drive here then you should be able to do it in boxee without an issue. If not, then you are doing something wrong somewhere. Sorry I can't be more help, these are all the steps I took to get it working and it works fine for me now :)

• Locked thread