Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

very posted:

I just got a G13 out of curiosity. The only thing that I don't like so far is that the most comfortable hand position is actually on the 16-19 keys, which is nowhere near where the indents are... So right now my fingers get a bit lost. Do I have tiny hands or something?

The other thing is that I don't know if I'll ever be able to lose the muscle memory for my main character's buttons.

For FPS games muscle memory wasn't too big of an issue except that I always used Mouse2 for forward movement (go go 1990s QW config) and that was a strange habit to break.

My biggest hangup was finding a replacement for [TAB] in WoW but once I settled on using my pinky on the G15 key I fell right into step with everything else about it.

Also yeah if your fingers are resting on the 3rd row down then either you are sitting your palm a bit far back or your hands are really small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Linux Nazi posted:

go go 1990s QW config.

:psyboom: That's an ergonomic nightmare. My fingers are getting arthritis just thinking about this.

On that note, I think I'm going to commemorate my odd gaming style (ESDF) by painting the keycaps. What should I use to ensure that it'll be thin enough and retain the texture? Model paint?

EDIT: VVV Oh, I thought it was a lot crazier, but that makes sense.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 3, 2010

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Illuminado posted:

:psyboom: That's an ergonomic nightmare. My fingers are getting arthritis just thinking about this.

Not at all. it was still ASD for strafe/backwards movement just mouse2 instead of W for forward. It never gave me cramps, it's just what I got used to back playing quakeworld 40 hours a day.

I now use Mouse2 instead for jump, and I don't use Mouse1 for anything really.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So upon second look at the HHP, I don't think I could live with no arrow keys, that's just madness imho. Currently looking at the Realforce 87U (if I can find it) or the 103UB. Figure I'll have clicky-as-gently caress Das at home, and a nice Topre at work.

Never owned a keyboard (aside from laptops) without a numpad...I think the only thing I use my numpad for at home is slamming in my password usually.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.

movax posted:

So upon second look at the HHP, I don't think I could live with no arrow keys, that's just madness imho. Currently looking at the Realforce 87U (if I can find it) or the 103UB. Figure I'll have clicky-as-gently caress Das at home, and a nice Topre at work.

Never owned a keyboard (aside from laptops) without a numpad...I think the only thing I use my numpad for at home is slamming in my password usually.

Here's an 87U

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se0500

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In case anyone cares I think newegg is selling Rosewill Filco copies with Cherry switches: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040&Tpk=rosewill%20mechanical%20keyboard

$99 for it, so I would think it was just a rebrand rather than a cheap copy.

damnit
May 3, 2004
I got a Lenovo USB keyboard with Trackpoint earlier this week. Typing up TPS reports has never been this fun

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I was looking for black to be honest, and that's the 86U (don't really care about 86 vs 87, it's just that extra Windows key). Judging from cursory Googling, elitekeyboards is unlikely to carry the 87U again for awhile... :(

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee
Is there anywhere I can try out a Filco or Das keyboard before spending >$100 on one? They sound pretty awesome but it seems ridiculous to spend that much on a keyboard.

Zash
Mar 30, 2010

COMPTUERS
I bought a das professional a couple of months ago. I loved the way it felt/sounded but the drat thing was a huge pain to get working. I'd plug it into my Win7 machine (tried it with and without the adapter) and it was a crap shoot. Sometimes (maybe once out of 10 tries) it would just work. I ultimately returned it to micro center and ordered a Unicomp Customizer that I love love love.

I am interested in the das model s though. There have been rumors floating around about them fixing the compatibility issues.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

movax posted:

I was looking for black to be honest, and that's the 86U (don't really care about 86 vs 87, it's just that extra Windows key). Judging from cursory Googling, elitekeyboards is unlikely to carry the 87U again for awhile... :(
Yeah, I wanted an 87U too... apparently they were limited-edition and EliteKeyboards won't ever stock them again! :(

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

redeyes posted:

In case anyone cares I think newegg is selling Rosewill Filco copies with Cherry switches: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040&Tpk=rosewill%20mechanical%20keyboard

$99 for it, so I would think it was just a rebrand rather than a cheap copy.

Jesus its even deactivated, you cant even put your email in to be notified of stock.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

kri kri posted:

Jesus its even deactivated, you cant even put your email in to be notified of stock.

lovely, it wasn't a few days ago.

Nalix
Apr 16, 2007
I've had my G15 V1 for about four years now and the thing has worked great for me aside from the LCD screen going out around a year ago and the lights for the keys are now starting to flicker. After reading this thread I went up to Microcenter to pick up a mechanical keyboard to test them out. I ended up getting the Adesso MKB-135B keyboard (blue switches) and I really like it. I was debating between keeping this keyboard and getting a Filco but I was leaning towards this keyboard because of the usb ports on it and it also has the headphone and microphone jack.

After seeing that new Razer BlackWidow keyboard I think I'm going to have to return this keyboard and get it. It has exactly what I'm looking for, the mechanical keys and the gaming aspect of it. I'll probably end up getting the ultimate version because I like having the illuminated keys just for looks. I'm going to go ahead and (pre)order it now and I'll have to let you guys know how I like it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm looking for a new keyboard because my current one (default Dell keyboard from many years ago) is filthy and can't register pressing A + S + Space or S + D + Space (which can be annoying in FPSes). I really don't need anything fancy, just a good solid keyboard with nice tactile feedback, although ease of cleaning would be a big plus. Anyone have any tips?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I'd say if you don't need anything fancy, just go over to a local store and demo some inexpensive Microsoft or Logitech keyboards and find something you like, and then test them to make sure they register the key presses you need them to. Write down the names of all the keyboards you like and do research to check to see if they have any key ghosting issues. Personally I use a Model M that must be a decade old and it is still going strong; if you can find one of these in a thrift shop or local computer place and can verify it works (and have a PS2 port available, I know some comps do not) they can be very reliable if heavy, loud and huge.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Pibborando San posted:

Otaku time!

What sexy bitch. Feels pretty good but after using the Model M for a while, it's definitely going to take some getting used to.

The keys are much easier to press, which is both good and bad. I felt like the M, while easy compared with most rubber domes, took just a little too much force to activate. The Filco has somewhat of the opposite issue. The keys are so light and easy to depress, I find myself typing unintended letters by just brushing my fingers over the keys to press the intended one. The spacing is also narrower than the M which means I've been mashing two adjacent keys at once pretty often.

I like the relative quietness of the Filco though. It's got a really solid, businesslike clack as opposed to the M's loud clicking and "ping"ing from the springs. The Filco's keys feel a little loose compared to the M. They can be jiggled around slightly more. It's not really noticeable when typing but the feeling you get when pushing a key down is slightly rougher than the silky smooth action of the M.

This thing would be perfect if the action was a little smoother and it had a steeper resistance curve to activation with a more solid feeling click. The cherry blue version sounds like it might be closer to my ideal but I don't want the loud clicking.

The Filco definitely has enough advantages over the M (form factor, aesthetics, ease) for me to make it my main board, at least for a while. But is there anything else out there that might be closer to what I'm looking for?

Where does one acquire a black tenkeyless Filco with blank keys? Not seeing it on elitekeyboards.com.

I love my Logitech Illuminated, but some of the keys broke when I pulled them off to clean and I'm not sure I want to spend another $70 on buying the same keyboard again. Unfortunately, I've talked to Logitech and they won't ship me replacement keys for the keys that are broken.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

coldfire07 posted:

Where does one acquire a black tenkeyless Filco with blank keys? Not seeing it on elitekeyboards.com.

They used to be pretty much where you'd expect to find them, under space savers and filco products; they were a limited run so it looks like they're out of stock for the time being.

Because we has bought all the precious, we hassss....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

One Swell Foop fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 9, 2010

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
So what's the Filco wrist rest actually like then? Seemed like a high premium to pay for something like that.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
Is that tomato juice in a batman glass?

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

One Swell Foop posted:

They used to be pretty much where you'd expect to find them, under space savers and filco products; they were a limited run so it looks like they're out of stock for the time being.

Because we has bought all the precious, we hassss....

drat!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

nftyw posted:

Thanks for the advice!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Streebs posted:

Is that tomato juice in a batman glass?

Heh. Maudite in a Unibroue glass.

Edit: just noticed this

weapey posted:

So what's the Filco wrist rest actually like then? Seemed like a high premium to pay for something like that.

I find typing with it really comfortable; it's firm, slightly compliant but not at all squishy like gel pads, and the heel of my hand just rests lightly against that little step with my fingers nicely over the home keys. I'd never used a separate wrist rest before but I was coming away from an MS Ergo board (which has those built-in pleather pads), and this rest feels similar in a way.

This is the $42 one btw, not the $70 one without the step that's on the elitekeyboard site now. I do 80% of my work on that keyboard and the rest definitely seems to reduce typing fatigue, so as far as I'm concerned I think it was a good buy.

Phone posted:

Sup Filco 87 with Blues and an MX Revolution buddy?
Hey, glad to hear your purchase worked out!

One Swell Foop fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 10, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

One Swell Foop posted:

Sup Filco 87 with Blues and an MX Revolution buddy?

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
I know most people around this thread are big into the expensive mechanical boards, but I jumped on that G15 deal that was posted, and I'm really impressed. I prefer a quiet keyboard, and this one delivers in spades. It's about half as loud as my old MS Office keyboard, and the action is nice and smooth for a membrane keyboard. Now I just need to get around to configuring those macro keys, and figuring out a decent script or command to bind to one of them to serve as a sleep button.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Does anyone know what happened to Enermax? I tried to find a replacement for my Aurora which is getting beat up, only to find that it seems to have been discontinued in 2008 and is now impossible to find. Enermax still shows their entire keyboard range in their online product catalogue but at retail its like they bailed out of the industry entirely.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

WanderingKid posted:

Does anyone know what happened to Enermax? I tried to find a replacement for my Aurora which is getting beat up, only to find that it seems to have been discontinued in 2008 and is now impossible to find. Enermax still shows their entire keyboard range in their online product catalogue but at retail its like they bailed out of the industry entirely.

They may have bailed out of physical retail, but they still have their own section on Newegg, and a lot of products on Amazon.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
ugh... My son dumped a 44oz soda all over my desk and killed my keyboard. everything is fine except for the A,Q and Z buttons, which no longer respond at all. I took it as an excuse to replace my Unicomp Customizer (IBM Model M redux) with their Space Saver model. Same Buckling Spring keys but with a smaller form factor. The customizer was great, but it was a little too big for my tiny space.

I almost bought a Filco Tenkeyless board, but couldn't justify the price when the Unicomp boards are brilliant to type on at half the price. Also, this lovely oem HP keyboard is like being punished.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Sir Unimaginative posted:

They may have bailed out of physical retail, but they still have their own section on Newegg, and a lot of products on Amazon.

I just checked Amazon.com and you are right. I'm thinking they have forsaken the EU market because Amazon.co.uk don't have squat, nor does Dabs.com nor do I get any hits outside US sites and one or two from eBay through google shopping.

I am crushed. :(

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

So elitekeyboards is out of the brown filco tenkeyless (http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_87key&pid=fkbn87meb) and they haven't responded to me about when they're going to be getting more in stock.

How much louder are the blues compared to the browns? And does anyone have an idea how much louder the blues would be with the o-ring mod?

I looked around for Youtube videos with little success, and I'm getting really bored of typing on this Illuminated keyboard considering a few of the keys broke and I had to switch ones from the numpad around.

Alternatively, if someone knows of another retailer that sells the Filco tenkeyless with the cherry brown switches that would be amazing. Rakuten is all I found online and if possible, I'd prefer to not deal with ordering something from Japan.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Why all the love for the space savers with no ten key?

I love my ten key, and don't want to let it go.

Contemplated buying a Filco for home. I have some random keyboard by ABS that has mechanical springs at work and it's the best drat thing ever. Even if my boss has compared the sound of my typing to "Optimus Prime pleasuring himself with a jackhammer."

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Citizen Z posted:

Contemplated buying a Filco for home. I have some random keyboard by ABS that has mechanical springs at work and it's the best drat thing ever. Even if my boss has compared the sound of my typing to "Optimus Prime pleasuring himself with a jackhammer."

Because it looks nicer and saves some desk space is my reason.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Citizen Z posted:

I have a numpad on my keyboard, I never use it.

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

coldfire07 posted:

So elitekeyboards is out of the brown filco tenkeyless (http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_87key&pid=fkbn87meb) and they haven't responded to me about when they're going to be getting more in stock.

How much louder are the blues compared to the browns? And does anyone have an idea how much louder the blues would be with the o-ring mod?

I looked around for Youtube videos with little success, and I'm getting really bored of typing on this Illuminated keyboard considering a few of the keys broke and I had to switch ones from the numpad around.

Alternatively, if someone knows of another retailer that sells the Filco tenkeyless with the cherry brown switches that would be amazing. Rakuten is all I found online and if possible, I'd prefer to not deal with ordering something from Japan.

I can't give you any direct information regarding Blue Vs Brown Cherry MX switches as I never even seen a brown switch, but I do have a Filco Tenkeyless with blue switches for my home desk. I find the blue switches to be nearly as loud as my Unicomp Spacesaver with less effort in key depression (while only slightly). So yes, I would classify them as loud, but man is it a pleasant typing experience.

As I can't fully answer your questions I can direct to another forum that will provide all the keyboard info you need http://geekhack.org/ .

At geekhack there is an entire thread dedicated to discussion on the availability of the Filco Tenkeyless with Cherry MX Brown switches.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

coldfire07 posted:

I would say that the volume of the blues and the browns are quite similar, except the blues will make twice as many clicks. Blues with o-rings would probably sound close to browns without o-rings.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Is there a type of keyboard with good resistance/tactile feedback and that's quiet? The keyboard I have is a $10 generic thing with keys that depress if I just rest my hands on the homerow, but I like the silence of these membrane keyboards.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Some dillweed posted:

Is there a type of keyboard with good resistance/tactile feedback and that's quiet? The keyboard I have is a $10 generic thing with keys that depress if I just rest my hands on the homerow, but I like the silence of these membrane keyboards.

I believe cherry browns + o-rings on all the keys will get a fairly quiet keyboard, but I only have reviews in this thread to go on. The traits you're asking for are mutually exclusive to some extent.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

kapinga posted:

I believe cherry browns + o-rings on all the keys will get a fairly quiet keyboard, but I only have reviews in this thread to go on. The traits you're asking for are mutually exclusive to some extent.

There's more than just cherry switches. Topre are nice from my understanding, they are similar to a membrane keyboard, but with springs for each key, and the membrane is "snappy" when you depress it. Should be quieter than a full on mechanical switch, but no cheaper.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

You weren't kidding when you said they're not cheaper. A Topre Realforce is about double the cost of a Filco at elitekeyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

coldfire07 posted:

Can't really talk about the o-ring mod, but I have both a blue and brown key Filco and the blues are noisier, but I don't think either are noisy enough to distract or piss me off while typing. No-one in my office complains about me typing, but I do work in an office of pretty laid-back people.

I'd say that if you ask yourself the question as to whether you're a fussy or an awkward person compared to the next guy, the blue switches won't be an issue. They're louder, but you might just find it satisfyingly louder anyway :)

• Locked thread