Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I love reading about cars and car technology but I also can't wait to finish school and move into the city so I never have to worry about buying/paying for/maintaining one again. Plus there's break-ins, vandalism, finding parking, lovely drivers, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I work from home in a really walkable district in Miami, so I only drive once a week or so. When my car dies, I really have no idea what I'll get. I want a GTI, but I can't rationalize it at all.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

I work from home in a really walkable district in Miami, so I only drive once a week or so. When my car dies, I really have no idea what I'll get. I want a GTI, but I can't rationalize it at all.

Nobody who owns a GTI can rationalize it. That's the point - it's a luxury. :D

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There's some photos up on Jay Leno's site of the Rossi 66. Normally, I don't like the "classic rebodied" Corvette thing, but this actually looks kind of cool:

Reminds me of the Alfa Romeo Montreal as much as anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Doesn't look like they treated the roofline or the rear window as much as the concept renderings showed it would. I'd really like to see how it all works out from other angles.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I love reading about cars and car technology but I also can't wait to finish school and move into the city so I never have to worry about buying/paying for/maintaining one again. Plus there's break-ins, vandalism, finding parking, lovely drivers, etc.

I live in Copenhagen and between the parking charges, vandalism, amazing public transport and the expenses of car ownership, I'm selling my car this spring.

Bike, bicycle and public transport can take care of 99,9% of my transportation needs and any store selling larger items (IKEA etc.) have delivery services with reasonably prices.

I can wait until I have a family and a house with a nice garage outside the city for any further car ownership.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I live in the city and honestly I only drive my car once a week to get to my parents place and to pick up groceries. I can't be bothered to do it for anything else. As much as I love cars I hate all the bullshit that goes with them. All I want is a racecar and use public transportation for everything else.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

InitialDave posted:

There's some photos up on Jay Leno's site of the Rossi 66. Normally, I don't like the "classic rebodied" Corvette thing, but this actually looks kind of cool:

Reminds me of the Alfa Romeo Montreal as much as anything.

:drat:
I'm not a huge fan of retro styling, but that looks amazing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I learned how to drive when I was about 18, but I was living in San Francisco, where parking is scarce, cars are expensive, gas is expensive, and (most of all) insurance for an under-25 male is incredibly, ridiculously expensive. And MUNI is (or was, at the time) pretty reasonable.

So I didn't get my license until I was 25, and only after I started having to commute all the way out to Hayward. I did the MUNI to BART to a shuttle to work thing for a few months but it was taking nearly 2 hours each way. Driving brought it down to less than an hour, and (including a bridge toll, gas, and maintenance on the car) cost the same.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Blocko posted:

I live in the city and honestly I only drive my car once a week to get to my parents place and to pick up groceries. I can't be bothered to do it for anything else. As much as I love cars I hate all the bullshit that goes with them. All I want is a racecar and use public transportation for everything else.

or even better, a motorcycle coupled with public transportation.

I got lucky to have my parents help me out throughout college with a car. It's not a car that I would want (it's big and gets lousy gas mileage for what it is), but at least I have a free car, and it's a Honda. They also pay for insurance and maintenance (I love them for this). I pay for gas ($100-150 a month). I'm stuck living in an area that requires car ownership. When I'm done with graduate school, I am hoping to move to a new area that would accompany what I want: riding motorcycles with public transportation available to fill in the gap for off-days and lousy-weather days.

I absolutely hate driving. My girlfriend recently got a Honda Fit 5-speed. I used to have a CRX HF 5-speed, and used to view driving as a fun activity. But over the past 1.5 years I've acculturated myself to motorcycle-riding so much that I just can't stand driving cars anymore even with a renownedly fun 5-speed car.

Even then, I still like reading about cool new cars. :3:

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 9, 2010

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Apparently all of you need to move to Texas, where the public transportation isn't terribly great and there is plenty of parking.

Of course car ownership will be down in cities like London, NYC, San Francisco, and others with huge numbers of people in a small area and amazing public transit. In Houston you still can't get around easily without one and I don't know a single person that doesn't either own a car, or have access to one whenever they need one (parents, girlfriend, etc).

The costs are very high to own one even down here and I have maybe two friends that have bought new cars in the last ten years and they were a Fit and a Yaris. It's nice that the manufacturers are finally catching up with the times and barring any federal intervention in onboard tech, I think the next generation (not in the big cities) will still be buying cars and we might even see a jump in newer car sales since they could feel they need the new tech and not consider older cars because of that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Living in Florida requires a car because the public transportation sucks and everything is so sprawled out. Not to mention in the summer time you'd die of heat exhaustion riding a bike anywhere, so owning a car with working A/C is paramount. I still try not to spend too much money on cars though, I get cheap dependable cars that require little if any maintenance and have the bare minimum insurance. Cars can be surprisingly cheap to own if you know what to look for.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

oxbrain posted:

I wonder how much of the ambivalence towards cars is the fact that nothing really exciting has come out of the industry since GenY became old enough to think about driving.

I think it has more to do with the fact that you can't get a new car for anything less than the cost of a kidney on the black market. Factor in credit costs and it makes a lot of sense to not buy a car. Those of us in that age range who do have cars are making do with 15 year old clunkers that do everything we want in a car and probably cost us less than $5,000.

sacre
Jan 26, 2007
I moved from Melbourne, Australia to London and the contrast is incredible. I used to live in a city where poublic transport is barely an option and car ownership is more-or-less compulsory. Living in London, the public transport is incredible and I have not missed having a car. Although I will eventually move back to Melbourne, I'm not looking forward to car ownership becuase living in a city really sucks the fun out of driving a car.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
You may have heard about Lotus' new 2010 F1 car, the T127 with a 2.4l Cosworth V8, but wanted something a little more tame

Worry no more thanks to the all new track-only Lotus T125 Exos (equipped with a 3.5l Cosworth V8 putting out 640bhp) that you can actually drive through the Lotus "Exos Experience." I would love to know how exclusive that club is because drat :swoon:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sacre posted:

I moved from Melbourne, Australia to London and the contrast is incredible. I used to live in a city where poublic transport is barely an option and car ownership is more-or-less compulsory.

Melbourne's public transport isn't even that bad - I know a lot of people who've moved there chasing better pay and even the few who have cars barely use them.

Edit: of course that does depend on where you live in Melbourne

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

You may have heard about Lotus' new 2010 F1 car, the T127 with a 2.4l Cosworth V8,

According to the Lotus Racing facebook and twitter page, they're bringing back the black and gold livery for the 2011 season. :swoon:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

MonkeyNutZ posted:

You may have heard about Lotus' new 2010 F1 car, the T127 with a 2.4l Cosworth V8, but wanted something a little more tame
Worry no more thanks to the all new track-only Lotus T125 Exos (equipped with a 3.5l Cosworth V8 putting out 640bhp) that you can actually drive through the Lotus "Exos Experience." I would love to know how exclusive that club is because drat :swoon:

Oh my. :fap:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anyone eve wish for a convertible Nissan Murano?

2011 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet

World Debut - Nov. 17th at the Los Angeles Auto Show

The world’s first all-wheel drive crossover convertible, delivers the open-air exhilaration of a convertible while extending the versatility of the Murano in exciting new ways. With room for four adults, space for golf bags or luggage (even with the top down), and a premium level interior, the Murano CrossCabriolet represents a breakthrough in concept and design. Set to go on sale in early 2011.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Mr. Apollo posted:

The world’s first all-wheel drive crossover convertible, delivers the open-air exhilaration of a convertible while extending the versatility of the Murano in exciting new ways. With room for four adults, space for golf bags or luggage (even with the top down), and a premium level interior, the Murano CrossCabriolet represents a breakthrough in concept and design. Set to go on sale in early 2011.

wtf is the point?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

wtf is the point?

I'm sure somebody will want to drop the top and incite jealousy in the hearts of their Cayenne-having neighbors.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.
You know if you lower it by a foot it's not a bad looking car

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
All I can think of is hooning the poo poo out of it all over a muddy field with the top down, preferably with it belonging to someone else.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slothophile posted:

It reminded me of the Renault Wind concept:

If you throw in the 370Z cabrio, you have a 3 model lineup that share a certain design.

The production Wind doesn't look like that, though:
http://imgur.com/phIjs.jpg

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Does the top take up the entire trunk, or just most of it?

How does this extend the versatility of the Murano?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

grover posted:

How does this extend the versatility of the Murano?

I already said, it gives you new ways to be a big prat.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Apollo posted:

Its almost a convertible people mover.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

obeyasia posted:

Its almost a convertible people mover.

The "breakthrough in concept and design" is that Nissan did not destroy any car washes during testing.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Slothophile posted:

That's the weirdest thing about Nissan's crossover lineup (Rogue, Murano, Juke); they look kinda "off" unless they're lowered, especially the Rogue and Juke (well, the Juke looks off, regardless).

leica posted:

Living in Florida requires a car because the public transportation sucks and everything is so sprawled out. Not to mention in the summer time you'd die of heat exhaustion riding a bike anywhere, so owning a car with working A/C is paramount. I still try not to spend too much money on cars though, I get cheap dependable cars that require little if any maintenance and have the bare minimum insurance. Cars can be surprisingly cheap to own if you know what to look for.

It's the same way with Austin, unless you live in the absolute heart of the city (and even then). You can kinda get away with not owning a car if you live in just the right places, but the whole area is so spread out that, unless your social/work life is confined to a several block radius, you need a car to do much of anything. I don't live in the city proper and I can put on 250+ miles in a good week going to work, friend's houses, bars and whatnot, and I'm what can be considered a "light" driver.

The same is true for pretty much any city in America unless you're one of the chosen few that lives in one of the major metros where owning a car can be considered impractical, which is, what, New York, San Francisco and Boston, maybe Chicago and Dallas?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I found a few articles all related to each other through Jalopnik about the new Lamborghini V12 coming out.

http://jalopnik.com/5690504/hear-the-new-lamborghini-v12-in-action

http://jalopnik.com/5690136/i-am-lamborghinis-new-beating-v12-heart

http://jalopnik.com/5690495/a-farewell-to-the-old-lamborghini-v12?skyline=true&s=i

Simply amazing that their last V12 lasted from 1963 to 2010.

quote:

We told you this weekend Lamborghini's Murcielago replacement will feature a 6.5-liter V12 engine with an output of 700hp at 8,250 RPM and max torque of 509 lb/ft of torque at 5,500 RPM. Here it is. More below.

quote:

Lamborghini's filed a claim with the U.S. trademark office on the name "Aventador." Some believe it's the new name for the Italian automaker's Murcielago-replacing supercar. Below, what the name means and specifications we expect for this new raging bull.

According to a select group of customers who saw the new bull-fighter at a special event this week, we're told the Lamborghini Aventador will look like a replica of the Lamborghini Reventón. It'll even use the Reventón's massive 6.5-liter V12 engine and produce a Reventón-besting 700 HP with a redline of 8,250 RPM. Also, we're told that amazing engine will be mated to a seven-speed single clutch gearbox.

And oh, yes, it'll be light. Thanks to Lamborghini CEO Stephen Winkelmann's clarion call for weight loss, the new bullish beast will feature a carbon fiber monocoque chassis that'll cut the weight 500 lbs. from the Murcielago while upping rigidity by a whopping 70%.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
The new turbo Buick/Opel looks pretty loving awesome.

http://www.insideline.com/buick/regal/2012/2012-buick-regal-gs-first-look.html

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Yeah, but not compared.. to this..
http://www.icars.sg/2010/16336/all-new-bmw-6-series-convertible-unveiled/

Brand new BMW 6-serie convertible.. drooling, seriously..

Also the Norwegian site I first read about it on had the best typo in a long time.
They said that the roof retracts electronically, and that it only takes 19 minutes. hahaha

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Autism Sundae posted:

It looks a beaut, but I wonder how price/performance will work out against its competitors. The VXR didn't fare that well against an S4 on that 5th Gear review. And I'm honestly wondering how many people are aching to buy a manual tranny Buick right now. 2000? 5000?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Don't know if I'm a fan of the bangle butt-esque chrome on the rear, but other than that it looks pretty good.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Goddamn, why isn't this car AWD?!?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

kimbo305 posted:

It looks a beaut, but I wonder how price/performance will work out against its competitors. The VXR didn't fare that well against an S4 on that 5th Gear review. And I'm honestly wondering how many people are aching to buy a manual tranny Buick right now. 2000? 5000?

Yeah, I think its potential will be heavily tied to its price. If it's within 2K or so of an A4 then I don't see many people going for it, but it's a different story if Buick undercuts it by 5K or more.

And it's no S4, but I'd buy and drive the poo poo out of Insignia VXR.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

travisray2004 posted:

Goddamn, why isn't this car AWD?!?
:smug: :britain:

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Autism Sundae posted:

Is the GS trim supposed to be the same as the VXR/OPC?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Openknees posted:

Is the GS trim supposed to be the same as the VXR/OPC?

No, it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

Autism Sundae posted:

Is that a vauxhall insignia?

Ugh.