Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I actually like that they are going to do incremental updates, rather than monolithic updates for Symbian. Now if they can show me that they will provide software support in the form of updates with new features and functionalities ala Android, and make the OVI store not terrible, they may actually be able to win me back as a customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

200th Poster posted:

I actually like that they are going to do incremental updates, rather than monolithic updates for Symbian. Now if they can show me that they will provide software support in the form of updates with new features and functionalities ala Android, and make the OVI store not terrible, they may actually be able to win me back as a customer.

The Ovi Store on the N8 is not terrible. The rest is questionable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Symbian Foundation faces closure.

I suppose N8 buyers should get comfortable with the idea of never getting a software update. Then again, if they already owned a Symbian device they should be used to it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I suppose N8 buyers should get comfortable with the idea of never getting a software update. Then again, if they already owned a Symbian device they should be used to it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/nokia-refines-development-stategy-adopts-html5-in-qt-and-ends-s/

quote:

You can buy a Nokia smartphone confident that any improvements introduced later to the Symbian platform, such as the user interface, can be made available to download on your device as well. No need to wait for Symbian^4 - the improvements we were planning for Symbian^4 will be introduced as and when they become available. In fact, we will no longer be talking about Symbian^3 or Symbian^4 at all – it will be one constantly evolving and constantly improving platform.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Of course they're going to say that. They want to sell phones and a shakeup at the company is going to make any informed consumer worry.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think it's good they shut down the Symbian Foundation. Now Nokia can stop beating around the bush with that "open source" crap, stop wasting money and resources propping up the foundation, claim Symbian back as their own and start working on making it better. But as mentioned, it's all promises right now so I'll believe it when I see it. I do believe they're capable, but the company is in such a mess right now that it'll take some time to turn the ship around.

I don't think evangelical sites like allaboutsymbian are helping either because Nokia needs to receive all the criticism it can right now while change is possible and the company can react to it. To white knight for Nokia just drags out the hurt by making the company complacent. Nokia got into trouble because it believed its own hype for so long.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Guess I'll have to post this again:

Dr Tran posted:

Symbian is dead. Long live Symbian
http://www.visionmobile.com/blog/2010/10/symbian-is-dead-long-live-symbian/

Symbian Foundation will obviously close, but Nokia will continue to keep developing it.

There's a good comment in that link on why Nokia is pushing both Symbian and Meego:

quote:

The main difference between Symbian and Meego lies with the hardware requirements.
Symbian is a realtime OS made for embedded devices originally. Its architecture is suited for limited resource environment.
Meego is based on Linux and has the advantage of accommodating a wider range of hardware, especially thanks to the modular architecture of the drivers.
However, it requires a more powerful platform to run with same UI performances than a comparable Symbian device.

Nokia needs both of them:
- Symbian to keep control of the costs while providing a consistent experience for Nokia users and consumers new to smartphones
- Meego to build Mobile Computers and do the consumer acquisition from Android/iPhone

edit:

The calendar year for SF ends in April. It should be closed by then.

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 26, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Having two platforms going simultaneously seems kind of risk. I would rather they focus on MeeGo and bring that to market than split their resources between two competing camps for the future of Nokia smartphones.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Peven Stan posted:

Having two platforms going simultaneously seems kind of risk. I would rather they focus on MeeGo and bring that to market than split their resources between two competing camps for the future of Nokia smartphones.
They've stated Symbian will be relegated to the lower-end market while MeeGo will run on all N-series devices in the future.

Nokia could find themselves in a very enviable position. Symbian is definitely a smartphone OS - it just needs... well, the spit and polish that it hasn't gotten over the last decade. And it can run on what is now featurephone hardware, and run well. The same cannot be said for Android, MeeGo, or iOS.

Nokia just needs to capitalize on that and make use of MeeGo to compete with Android/iPhone. Whether they can move faster than a glacial pace or not, though... four iterations of the iPhone and an upcoming Android 3.0 and Nokia's barely got their first foot out the door on a new N-series device running an OS that's going to be relegated to lower-end phones for the next generation.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Preview of the new browser:
http://youtu.be/pRH3WdI4KOo

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

They've stated Symbian will be relegated to the lower-end market while MeeGo will run on all N-series devices in the future.

Nokia could find themselves in a very enviable position. Symbian is definitely a smartphone OS - it just needs... well, the spit and polish that it hasn't gotten over the last decade. And it can run on what is now featurephone hardware, and run well. The same cannot be said for Android, MeeGo, or iOS.
I don't see how running on featurephone hardware helps Symbian, at least here in the States. An S60 device, no matter how cheap on-contract, will cost the same per month as any other smartphone. I could go get a refurb Captivate on AT&T for $80 cheaper than a Vivaz.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Because Symbian makes a bitchin' feature phone os, if only a lackluster smartphone os. Let MeeGo compete with iPhone, droid, HTC et al. I can't speak for the states, but in canada s60 devices only need the $10 feature phone data plan for everything to work as opposed to the much more expensive smartphone data plans.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

200th Poster posted:

Because Symbian makes a bitchin' feature phone os, if only a lackluster smartphone os. Let MeeGo compete with iPhone, droid, HTC et al. I can't speak for the states, but in canada s60 devices only need the $10 feature phone data plan for everything to work as opposed to the much more expensive smartphone data plans.

If I'm not mistaken, I was told by AT&T at one point that if it has a QWERTY keyboard it's not eligible for the medianet (non-smartphone) plan and is considered a PDA.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

American Jello posted:

If I'm not mistaken, I was told by AT&T at one point that if it has a QWERTY keyboard it's not eligible for the medianet (non-smartphone) plan and is considered a PDA.

Yeah its all a matter of what definitions the carriers decide to impose. I'd consider anything running Symbian a smart phone regardless of form factor.

Where I am there is no smart phone or non-smart phone data plans, data is data no matter what device you are using it on. On the flip side data is very expensive and you end up using a lot more of it on a smart phone.

Edit: Also I don't consider Symbian a very good feature phone OS. My parents both have Symbian devices (a 5800 and an N79), both used pretty much as feature phones and to be honest both are pretty horrible to use. The N79 is particularly bad in this regard, Symbian is just too disorganised on a small screen and numeric keypad interface. I'm relatively tech savvy and struggle with it, my mother has zero hope of doing anything beyond calls and sms.

dissss fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 29, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The C7 is actually a nifty looking phone. I think it looks better than the N8.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
A little off topic, but in training for my new job, we were told that more megapixels equals better photos, always. I said no, not always, and that the lens makes more of a difference than MP in photo quality. Manager said, "wrong. "

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
drat that is some cognitive dissonance poo poo. Do they also believe that more megahurts = bettar?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

corpsed posted:

A little off topic, but in training for my new job, we were told that more megapixels equals better photos, always. I said no, not always, and that the lens makes more of a difference than MP in photo quality. Manager said, "wrong. "
Do you think your job is to educate consumers or something? Leave that to the "Photography for dummies" books.

Your job is to sell the most expensive/highest margin device and attach the most accessories and services as possible to the sale.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

corpsed posted:

More = more expensive = higher margins.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I basically bought a 5800 because Rogers is dumb enough to make it the only smartphone you don't need a data plan for. Hell, at the time it was the only phone that had GPS and wifi that didn't require a data plan. But I doubt many carriers are that dumb.

Also even though it is eligible for the $10 'unlimited' data plan, all of the branded apps you might use it on are garbage.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Fido lumped the Vivaz Pro in with their crap phones and put the Liquid E in with their smartphones.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

200th Poster posted:

I signed up to attend a Nokia QT developer conference in Vancouver. Everyone gets an N8 development kit. Hopefully it includes a phone, It'd be pretty pro if I could use it for my software engineering class project. Typically every just makes iPhone apps for it.

A friend attended the one in Austin and they did indeed give out N8s. They canceled the one in LA. Weak.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

200th Poster posted:

I was specifically talking about the States. No carrier here is going to consider a Symbian device a featurephone, no matter how poo poo it is. I suppose I was just naive in thinking that outside of Europe that would be the case for most carriers, but I guess not!

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

HPL posted:

Fido lumped the Vivaz Pro in with their crap phones and put the Liquid E in with their smartphones.

vivaz pro should be considered a smartphone but i wouldn't say it's better than the liquid e

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Web Jew.0 posted:

vivaz pro should be considered a smartphone but i wouldn't say it's better than the liquid e

It's better than the Curve and Pearl. For some reason the Vivaz Pro gets lumped in with the poo poo like the LG Xenon and cheapo Nokia flip phones.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Nokia has formally brought Symbian in house
http://www.nokia.com/press/press-releases/showpressrelease?newsid=1460185

Symbian is the most successful failure in history:
http://eu.techcrunch.com/2010/11/08/guest-post-symbian-os-one-of-the-most-successful-failures-in-tech-history/

A couple of quotes that jumped out at me:

quote:

There was simply no incentive to provide an out of the box distribution, not until Android came along, enabling former Symbian licensees such as Motorola and SonyEricsson to put together new phones in mere weeks not years.

Symbian went to great lengths to build in support for CDMA, even setting up a secret team in North America, but with their hands tied, they had to use Nokia CDMA hardware, for whom the only customer was Nokia. Nokia, in turn, proceeded to cancel several CDMA devices late in the development cycle during their frequent retreats from North America.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Well I'm going to get to visit the Nokia R&D centre in Burnaby. They won't be giving out N8's willy nilly, but I have a chance to win one, so if I do I might be able to put some of what I learn to good use.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

200th Poster posted:

Well I'm going to get to visit the Nokia R&D centre in Burnaby. They won't be giving out N8's willy nilly, but I have a chance to win one, so if I do I might be able to put some of what I learn to good use.

I worked there as a co-op a few years before it was gutted, it was a nice place.

EDIT: Rogers is selling the N8 for $450, it's tempting but I'd rather not risk getting something branded. I wonder if NCIX will pricematch Rogers?

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 11, 2010

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Welp, they sent an email out saying they were going to try to work out a schedule for the student QT training that work out for people that have to attend classes. When do they schedule it? On a Wednesday at 8:30 in the morning. Guess when classes are. In particular I have a presentation that day, so I guess I'm not going after all.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

DuckConference posted:

I worked there as a co-op a few years before it was gutted, it was a nice place.

EDIT: Rogers is selling the N8 for $450, it's tempting but I'd rather not risk getting something branded. I wonder if NCIX will pricematch Rogers?

I'm really surprised they're carrying it so soon considering how late they were to carry the n97 and n86. At that price it's tempting, but I'm still in the "buy unbranded" boat.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

DuckConference posted:

I wonder if they tampered with it at all.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

We'd have to find a Rogers store that carries a live demo unit, not just a plastic stand-in. I doubt it exists.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I've read that it's locked, and a post about how upset the user was because the salesman said it didn't have any extra apps on there, and it has the Rogers web browser and media player that are both unremoveable.

To add content to my post, have an article about the Ovi store's popularity and how Nokia is apparently unable to keep up with their "success". http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/23/ovi_signing_delays/

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 24, 2010

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Got my N8 today and it's more than what I'd ever hoped it could be :swoon:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

To add content to my post, have an article about the Ovi store's popularity and how Nokia is apparently unable to keep up with their "success". http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/23/ovi_signing_delays/

Now how am I supposed to get my Hannah Montana screen saver up on Ovi store?

HPL fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 25, 2010

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

HPL posted:

Now how am I supposed to get my Hannah Montana screen saver up on Ovi store?

I've only found one fart app so far.

Edit: Three.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 26, 2010

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Got my N8 today and it's more than what I'd ever hoped it could be :swoon:

I want to try one out before buying. Kinda hard to do when all the display models are dummy phones. Were you able to try one out before taking the plunge?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Nope, I just took the plunge.

I'm coming from an n82, so I figured, worst case scenario, it's at least going to be better than that, and there's no way it could be as bad as an n97, so I just took the plunge.

I haven't used an Android device or an iPhone, and if apps are your thing than maybe look towards those devices. But I'm not an "app person" and can easily get by with the basics, and this had pretty much everything I wanted right out of the box. The only thing I installed and kept was Opera Mobile. My brother played around with it for a while and he's used a few Android devices, and he said it's the bare minimum Nokia needed to do to compete, but honestly, I took this video from my balcony today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-3aE2jYaQ. I'd be surprised if HTC or Samsung could match that.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 26, 2010

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
You should install pixelpipe. Makes uploads easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Got a lime green N8 the other day, and boy am I loving happy with it. The camera is absolutely jaw-dropping and I'm loving the optimizations that've gone into Symbian^3. Can't wait for some hot QT good-ness to start coming along for S3/Meego.

• Locked thread