Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Mortanis posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Windows VPS? The caveats are that we need maybe a hundred IPs for sites we've got with SSL right now, and a decent amount of hard drive space and bandwidth. I'm extremely tired of managing my own hardware, but sadly the legacy sites I need to keep running are ColdFusion and it just works best on Windows.

I'm not sure any Windows VPS hosts exist. I'd say finding a managed hosting provider would be your best bet, even with the added expense. Then the hardware issues fall to them, and you're just responsible for keeping ColdFusion running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm not sure any Windows VPS hosts exist. I'd say finding a managed hosting provider would be your best bet, even with the added expense. Then the hardware issues fall to them, and you're just responsible for keeping ColdFusion running.

BurstNet does Windows VPS starting at $20/mo. I've had a Linux VPS with them for a while and they're alright.

http://www.nocster.com/winvps.shtml

less than three fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 27, 2010

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm not sure any Windows VPS hosts exist.
There's a ton of them.

Mortanis posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Windows VPS? The caveats are that we need maybe a hundred IPs for sites we've got with SSL right now, and a decent amount of hard drive space and bandwidth. I'm extremely tired of managing my own hardware, but sadly the legacy sites I need to keep running are ColdFusion and it just works best on Windows.

I use SoftSys for shared hosting and have had great, very responsive support, but don't have any experience with their VPS products, but at least they're running hyper-v, not Virtuozzo.

The number of ips you need might be a bit of a deal breaker though with smaller companies though.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 27, 2010

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

Mortanis posted:

I'll go ahead and pimp my own company here. We just started running Windows VPS recently and has been a rousing success thus far. We run our Windows VPS servers off a Xen based architecture with a massive SAN backend for storage. You can check out our plans here:

http://www.hostdime.com/web-hosting/vps/windows/

We also do Windows Dedicated Servers as well that are managed by us (hardware wise) that you can check out here:

http://www.hostdime.com/web-hosting/dedicated/

You can throw Windows Server on any of those servers for the licensing fee and add on Plesk if you choose as well.

edit: Oh and 100+ IPs shouldn't be too much of an issue if you can legitimately show the usage of them (SSLs not SEO/Spamming Purposes)

auruspex fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 27, 2010

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
Our signup and transfer to WiredTree VPS from A2 shared hosting was a piece of cake. WiredTree has got great customer service; they usually respond to e-mails within minutes, and you can also just pick up the phone and call. Huge difference! Thanks for the recommendation, goons.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
Edit: Any Reseller hosts with control panels that don't suck rear end?

micropenis fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 27, 2010

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

micropenis posted:

Edit: Any Reseller hosts with control panels that don't suck rear end?

Which control panels don't you want, and we'll go from there.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Is there any reason to buy domain privacy on a totally generic uncontroversial domain? I had signed up for it on dynadot because it was cheap, but I can't think of any reason to renew...

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Baby Proof posted:

Is there any reason to buy domain privacy on a totally generic uncontroversial domain? I had signed up for it on dynadot because it was cheap, but I can't think of any reason to renew...

When I didn't I usually managed to get junk mail in both e-mail and letter form.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Can we also talk domain registration in here or is there another thread?

Im registered with godaddy for another few months and I want to keep my domain, but I want to move to other hosting. How can I transfer my domain to new hosting? Im thinking of going over to lithum but all I really need is some cheapish hosting that has good rails support.

Mediatemple and godaddy are terrible with rails

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rugbert posted:

Can we also talk domain registration in here or is there another thread?

Im registered with godaddy for another few months and I want to keep my domain, but I want to move to other hosting. How can I transfer my domain to new hosting? Im thinking of going over to lithum but all I really need is some cheapish hosting that has good rails support.

Mediatemple and godaddy are terrible with rails

Very simple. Get your new hosting and update the nameservers they give you.

http://help.godaddy.com/article/664

Lithium is pretty good too, I use them with my sites.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

BorderPatrol posted:

Lithium is pretty good too, I use them with my sites.

How is their customer service? I sent them a "pre-sale question" about what package/add-ons they would reccomend for my (very basic) needs and they haven't got back to me yet. To be fair it hasn't even been two full days yet, but that can't help but make me worry about how slow/fast their support would be with any issues.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rugbert posted:

godaddy

GoDaddy donated millions to the McCain campaign and support net neutrality.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thrawn200 posted:

How is their customer service? I sent them a "pre-sale question" about what package/add-ons they would reccomend for my (very basic) needs and they haven't got back to me yet. To be fair it hasn't even been two full days yet, but that can't help but make me worry about how slow/fast their support would be with any issues.

Last time I sent a support email I got an answer back in under half an hour.

You can try asking in the Lithium thread in SA-Mart if it's just pre-sale, or send another ticket. They've been running around the last few days with a server outage they just got figured out so maybe they just lost track of it.

Bob Morales posted:

GoDaddy donated millions to the McCain campaign and support net neutrality.

Thanks for this helpful information I guess?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BorderPatrol posted:

Thanks for this helpful information I guess?

Oops, I meant doesn't support net neutrality.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Thrawn200 posted:

Send me a PM and we can discuss your Pre-Sales questions. I never got your email, sorry!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Bob Morales posted:

You should definitely edit that post :colbert:

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

DarkLotus posted:

Send me a PM and we can discuss your Pre-Sales questions. I never got your email, sorry!

No worries, maybe my phone browser didn't like the web form or something. I will just shoot you off a message.

*edit* Or not, looks like I can't message you since I'm not a Platinum member. I'll just send you an e-mail at the address in the SMart thread.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Bob Morales posted:

Makes sense, the site is one huge, shameless attempt to make as much money as they possibly can. Consider them dropped.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I've been using dedicated hosting to do about 5tb per month of live audio streaming.

I'm sure the market has changed quite a bit since then.

What's the best way to do live streaming now? Are there cheaper options than buying blocks of bandwidth and hosting on a dedicated server?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jam2 posted:

I've been using dedicated hosting to do about 5tb per month of live audio streaming.

I'm sure the market has changed quite a bit since then.

What's the best way to do live streaming now? Are there cheaper options than buying blocks of bandwidth and hosting on a dedicated server?

Are you streaming through shoutcast or something else?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Amazon is giving out a year of free hosting, if you want to play around with it.

It's not much (15GB transfer, 610MB ram, 10GB disk) but it'd make a nice sandbox. Default is their version of CentOS or some equivalent (well, there's yum at least).

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Biowarfare posted:

Amazon

Heh, I noticed this there.

quote:

Amazon Mechanical Turk provides a web services API for computers to integrate Artificial Artificial Intelligence directly into their processing by making requests of humans. Developers use the Amazon Mechanical Turk web services API to submit tasks to the Amazon Mechanical Turk web site, approve completed tasks, and incorporate the answers into their software applications. To the application, the transaction looks very much like any remote procedure call – the application sends the request, and the service returns the results. In reality, a network of humans fuels this Artificial Artificial Intelligence by coming to the web site, searching for and completing tasks, and receiving payment for their work.

All software developers need to do is write normal code.

Have data that a computer can't process efficiently? No problem!

We've turned human beings into a usable API for your platform, so you can feed them data and they'll return it, just like a machine! :haw:

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 12, 2010

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

less than three posted:

Heh, I noticed this there.

Have data that a computer can't process efficiently? No problem!

We've turned human beings into a usable API for your platform, so you can feed them data and they'll return it, just like a machine! :haw:

mturk for the most part is pretty much just spammers pushing cpalead offers and various other terrifying, disgusting things at this point ("website usability testing - receive a text message on your phone"), unfortunately

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

BorderPatrol posted:

Are you streaming through shoutcast or something else?

Wowza to Flash, Apple devices, BlackBerry (broken), etc.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
So Im looking for new hosting for a couple sites Im working on. Im trying to learn Rails 3 by converting their old sites into CMS sites and Im going to need something preferably cheap and something that supports Rails 3.

I just moved my personal site over to Lithium and while the price is right, it doesnt look like they support rails 3.

Any suggestions? SpeedyRails looks promising, and $10 a month isnt bad but a lot of my clients are tattoo artists and dont want to spend much on hosting.

edit - Id prefer something like cpanel too, just in case the site changes hands or they decide to move to WP.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

rugbert posted:

So Im looking for new hosting for a couple sites Im working on. Im trying to learn Rails 3 by converting their old sites into CMS sites and Im going to need something preferably cheap and something that supports Rails 3.

edit - Id prefer something like cpanel too, just in case the site changes hands or they decide to move to WP.

It is unlikely you will find a cPanel host that offers Rails 3.
http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/rails-3-0-not-starting-163993.html#post699654

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
You should really just host on Heroku. You'll need an Amazon S3 account to handle file uploads. If the site changes hands, you can transfer them ownership of the project pretty easily.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

atastypie posted:

You should really just host on Heroku. You'll need an Amazon S3 account to handle file uploads. If the site changes hands, you can transfer them ownership of the project pretty easily.

haha yea everyone keeps telling me to just use Heroku. I use it for testing my rails sites and it is pretty awesome, but its a bit expensive for what Ill be making I think.

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
I've been using Dreamhost for a few years now without problems, but it's mostly been just file dumping where I needed the bandwidth/storage space and didn't care as much about uptime or doing anything dedicated.

Now that I have some money, however, I wanted to upgrade. One thing that would be really nice for me is that I run two IRC bots for friends on SynIRC, which right now run on my desktop, and I would really like to find a VPS that would let me run them there instead.

I looked into Lithium Hosting, read the terms of service and acceptable use policy for their VPSes, saw nothing forbidding IRC and figured they would work for that and ordered their basic VPS plan.

I guess not! I can't connect to IRC, period, through my server. I figured I would ask here before I sent in a ticket for it.

If IRC bots/clients aren't allowed on Lithium, any recommendations for a good VPS plan that does allow them?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
linode, prgmr, etc.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Aquarium of Lies posted:

I guess not! I can't connect to IRC, period, through my server. I figured I would ask here before I sent in a ticket for it.
Connect via SSL?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Aquarium of Lies posted:

I looked into Lithium Hosting, read the terms of service and acceptable use policy for their VPSes, saw nothing forbidding IRC and figured they would work for that and ordered their basic VPS plan.

IRC is against the AUP and forbidden on Hosting Plans and VPS plans.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

Aquarium of Lies posted:

I've been using Dreamhost for a few years now without problems, but it's mostly been just file dumping where I needed the bandwidth/storage space and didn't care as much about uptime or doing anything dedicated.

Now that I have some money, however, I wanted to upgrade. One thing that would be really nice for me is that I run two IRC bots for friends on SynIRC, which right now run on my desktop, and I would really like to find a VPS that would let me run them there instead.

If IRC bots/clients aren't allowed on Lithium, any recommendations for a good VPS plan that does allow them?

Your issue may be as simple as a software firewall installed on your VPS. You might want to check to see if CSF or anything similar is installed and if so, make sure IRC ports are open.

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

DarkLotus posted:

IRC is against the AUP and forbidden on Hosting Plans and VPS plans.

That line wasn't there when I looked three hours ago! I even explicitly did a search of the terms of service and the AUP for "IRC".

Any suggestions for a VPS host that will let me use IRC?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Aquarium of Lies posted:

That line wasn't there when I looked three hours ago! I even explicitly did a search of the terms of service and the AUP for "IRC".

Any suggestions for a VPS host that will let me use IRC?

Biowarfare posted:

linode, prgmr, etc.

just don't use the Atlanta datacenter with linode if you want IRC

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

ClosedBSD posted:

Oh haha, I didn't realize those were hosts at first. Thanks for the help all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ClosedBSD posted:

Doesn't that only apply to IRC servers, not clients?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I'm totally lost - set up a Lithium Hosting account for my blog, and it tells me that WordPress is installed already, but I don't have idea how to access a login page or the WordPress software itself.

Does anyone know where I can go to login? I'm a total, absolutely nooby at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm totally lost - set up a Lithium Hosting account for my blog, and it tells me that WordPress is installed already, but I don't have idea how to access a login page or the WordPress software itself.

Does anyone know where I can go to login? I'm a total, absolutely nooby at this.

Put these type of posts in the Lithium Hosting Thread, or submit a ticket.