Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

trapt posted:

Anyone?

Diablo 2? I mean unless you want to play an MMO click-fest Action RPG's are basically dead until Diablo 3 drops. And, while there are some newer ones, they don't have multiplayer to speak of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapt
Sep 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Diablo 2? I mean unless you want to play an MMO click-fest Action RPG's are basically dead until Diablo 3 drops. And, while there are some newer ones, they don't have multiplayer to speak of.

drat, that's kinda sad

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

trapt posted:

Anyone?

You're really not going to find just a whole lot of Diablo 2 clones with active multiplayer bases right now.

Torchlight 2 is coming out soon and it's going to have a good multiplayer component but it's not out until early next year sooo...

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

trapt posted:

Anyone?

Mythos should be comming back early next year
Its what torchlight was built on and was a lot of fun before flagship sunk.

Also crafting/trading games anyone? pc only.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Calantus posted:

I'll definitely try out the bad company 2 demo as that sounds pretty good.

On the CoD front, I haven't played one since the very first. How do modern warfare and black ops compare to eachother on a gameplay perspective?

Unfortunately there's no BFBC2 demo for PC. Maybe there's one for 360 you can try to just get an understanding of the game?

For Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops, gameplay-wise, they're incredibly similar. Movement, physics, gun handling, etc are all similar enough that most people wont be able to tell the difference. Many of the perks, weapons, and killstreaks are better balanced in Black Ops. Playing Black Ops now, I can tell you that it will be difficult for you and your friend to play together. Treyarch kinda botched the dedicated server stuff, and there's no way to reliably join in on the same side as a friend since there's no team switching and after every match they scramble the teams. If there was, I'd recommend it over MW2, but for your specific purposes, maybe it's not the right choice.

Modern Warfare 2 has a matchmaking system that has rubbed many people the wrong way, but at least it works as far as playing with a buddy goes. You'll always be put on the same side. I don't know how the PC version's player count is holding up, though.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

bonds0097 posted:

Ehm, well if you aren't stuck on Real-World 4X you could give Galactic Civilization 2 a shot. When it comes to space-4X, Sword of the Stars is my game of choice.

The Total War games are sort of simplied 4X games with real-time combat, may want to check out Napoleon or Empire (people tend to either love or hate TW games).

Paradox makes some interesting 4X games but they tend to make Civ look simple but you may want to check them out anyhow.

I actually just got Medieval 2: Total War from a steam sale a few days ago, but haven't played it yet 'cause Black Ops just came out. I thought it was an RTS but I'll give it a try. I'll check out Sword of the Stars, IIRC it's goon-made? GalCiv 2 is always talked about, but unfortunately not on steam. Do I want to get the Ultimate Edition or GOTY, which one has more content?

Paradox, oh man. Took me forever to find a copy of Crusader Kings (since I was on a crusader kick at the time), and goddamn, I want to love that game SO MUCH but the only way I'll ever enjoy it is to make friends with someone that's on the level of LPing the game and have them sit with me for a couple of hours and telling me hey "this does this because this matters because you want this" on every single thing because I am SO lost in that game. I'd settle for a 2 hour youtube video special as well. I also happened upon a copy of Hearts of Iron 1 (which has one of the coolest manuals ever), but I'm stuck in the same rut with it. That one the documentation on I felt was a bit more robust but I didn't want to love it as much as Crusader Kings.

Speaking of space games, what are the Space Empires games on Steam like in terms of documentation and learning curve? Any other steam (or just cheap) recommendations for 4x?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

trapt posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a game to patiently wait for Diablo 3. I want a RPG along the lines of Diablo 3/Titan's Quest with a great (and still alive) multiplayer. Thanks!

Can't think of any similar games with multiplayer. Borderlands is the closest bet in the random loot whoring scene and has co-op multiplayer, if you can put up with the fact that it's an FPS instead of isometric hack and slash.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

pigdog posted:

Can't think of any similar games with multiplayer. Borderlands is the closest bet in the random loot whoring scene and has co-op multiplayer, if you can put up with the fact that it's an FPS instead of isometric hack and slash.

Actually... they just came out with a new Doom mod that's very much like Diablo. Actually, it's described as a Diablo/Tower Defense kind of game. I've been playing it for a few hours now and I have to say it's really, really excellent.

It's called Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos, and there's even a thread about it right here on the forums!

vvvvv NBA Jam

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 12, 2010

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I'm trying to convince my buddy that sports games can be fun. Granted, I play really standard ones (at the moment, Madden, Football Manager, FIFA, MLB 2K). I showed him Mutant League Football the other day and he LOVED it. What are some other sports games that break the mold, and that you don't necessarily have to be a sports fan to love?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm trying to convince my buddy that sports games can be fun. Granted, I play really standard ones (at the moment, Madden, Football Manager, FIFA, MLB 2K). I showed him Mutant League Football the other day and he LOVED it. What are some other sports games that break the mold, and that you don't necessarily have to be a sports fan to love?

The NFL Blitz games are old, but fun as hell. It's essentially football but no rules. Interference is welcome, as is tackling the receiver 6 seconds into his touchdown dance.

As far as more realistic football games go, I don't know what sega did but NFL2k for the dreamcast is a football game which everyone enjoys.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

joshtothemaxx posted:

As you apparently can tolerate old games, Ice Hockey and Nintendo World Cup are good games in this genre for the NES, arguably Blades of Steel fits as well. If you count racing as a sport Rock'n'Roll Racing for the SNES is good, although I don't know how well it works in multiplayer.

Also, I second NBA Jam (Tournament Edition!), if you just want to play one go with that one.

kissekatt fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 13, 2010

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I'm in the mood for an RPG, but a short one. I don't feel like going on some epic 20-40 hour quest, something that I could finish in a week of casual playing would be nice. Turn-based jRPG is preferred, though any RPG-heavy gameplay is good. Any system.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Morpheus posted:

So I'm in the mood for an RPG, but a short one. I don't feel like going on some epic 20-40 hour quest, something that I could finish in a week of casual playing would be nice. Turn-based jRPG is preferred, though any RPG-heavy gameplay is good. Any system.

I haven't played them but I've heard that Suikoden and Alundra are pretty short if you just go straight through them and they're both on PSN now for cheap.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Anyone know of any games that play sort of like Virtual On or Custom Robo? Basically, small arena, and you and an opponent zip around the arena dodging each other's shots trying to kill each other. I know Power Stone is sort of like this, but with less shooting and more melee combat. I understand that this is a bit specific, but if nobody can think of anything, how about something fun that involves robots? Especially giant ones.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Alright, Recommending Goons, perhaps some of you can help me scratch an itch I've had for a bit. I'm looking for espionage/Spy games. Not games where the story says you're a spy but it plays like a regular FPS or anything like that. I want a game where I feel like a spy. Less SplinterCell and more Spy-fiction James Bond style. It doesn't have to be a FPS, any genre will do. I just need something to scratch this secret agent itch!

And I also ahve an itch for any kind of campy space game. I'm thinking along the lines of Flash Gorden/the Atomic age 1950's space age kind of stuff. Cheesy ray guns and the like. Any genre!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

I haven't played them but I've heard that Suikoden and Alundra are pretty short if you just go straight through them and they're both on PSN now for cheap.

Alundra is more of a Zelda clone, a very good one at that, than an RPG.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

And I also ahve an itch for any kind of campy space game. I'm thinking along the lines of Flash Gorden/the Atomic age 1950's space age kind of stuff. Cheesy ray guns and the like. Any genre!

Space Channel 5

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Alright, Recommending Goons, perhaps some of you can help me scratch an itch I've had for a bit. I'm looking for espionage/Spy games. Not games where the story says you're a spy but it plays like a regular FPS or anything like that. I want a game where I feel like a spy. Less SplinterCell and more Spy-fiction James Bond style. It doesn't have to be a FPS, any genre will do. I just need something to scratch this secret agent itch!

Hitman: Blood Money right here. I recommend Blood Money over the other Hitman games because it feels more organic and they really perfected the level design.

Alpha Protocol is probably my favorite game of the year so far but the consensus is either you think it's the best thing ever or you hate it with every fiber in your being. Aside from the mandatory boss fights you can 100% stealth through the game. The breadth of dialog choices they give is overwhelming and there are FAQ writers who are discovering new things even on their 6th play. It's pretty much the closest any game has gotten to making you feel like a globetrotting superspy.

quote:

Ratchet and Clank but I'm sure you know about this already.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Kind of a basic request here but whatevs

What the best current WW2 FPS? Looking for something with a good online scene. I used to play COD2, Wolf ET, Day of Defeat, and Red Orchestra a lot.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 14, 2010

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Any good turn-based strategy games for 360? I loved Gladius for X-Box but haven't come across anything similar this generation.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

BeigeJacket posted:

Kind of a basic request here but whatevs

What the best current WW2 FPS? Looking for something with a good online scene. I used to play COD2, Wolf ET, Day of Defeat, and Red Orchestra a lot.

I don't think they are really making many 'current' ww2 games. Day of Defeat Source and Red Orchestra Source? They seem popular?

Sorry I can't be of any more help, I'm not really into online scenes but it seems that ww2 online games have been surpassed by modern warfare types after cod4 came out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

Any good turn-based strategy games for 360? I loved Gladius for X-Box but haven't come across anything similar this generation.

Good is the hard part here. The best, and legitimately fun and good, is probably Band of Bugs+Expansion on XBLA. After that it just gets from mediocre to terrible. The list is pretty much Vandal Hearts (meh) Spectral Forces 3 (dreamcast, where were you, oh god back in the closet), Operation Darkness (so cool a setting, so bland a game) and Record of the Agarest War (PS2 port with new Anime-Smut)

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sizone posted:

So what's good on the Amstrad CPC?

Alien 8
Barbarian II
Death Stalker
Head Over Heels

and oddly enough the Frankie Goes To Hollywood game, I don't know what the gently caress it's supposed to have to do with the band though.

But screw all those, just play this: http://orion.cpcscene.com/

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
My friend lent me Zone of the Enders 1 and 2 yesterday. After beating the first game in one sitting and getting into 2 (OH GOD IT'S SO HARD) I'm wondering what good games are out on the current generation in a similiar vein (i.e. fast-paced mech action). Are the Armoured Core games much good?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Frankosity posted:

My friend lent me Zone of the Enders 1 and 2 yesterday. After beating the first game in one sitting and getting into 2 (OH GOD IT'S SO HARD) I'm wondering what good games are out on the current generation in a similiar vein (i.e. fast-paced mech action). Are the Armoured Core games much good?

I haven't played Vanquish but a lot of people like that and it's super fast action with some kinda mechy suits, but not space battles iirc

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Looking for a light RPG that's good for shorter, ~30 minute playtimes that preferably has a fun and unique magic system. Basically I don't have the time to commit to a epic tale of an RPG with 100+ hours of drawn on dialogue and fetch quests. Just something fun, simple to get into, and that won't drag on for ages to get any satisfaction out of it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

Anyone know of any games that play sort of like Virtual On or Custom Robo? Basically, small arena, and you and an opponent zip around the arena dodging each other's shots trying to kill each other. I know Power Stone is sort of like this, but with less shooting and more melee combat. I understand that this is a bit specific, but if nobody can think of anything, how about something fun that involves robots? Especially giant ones.

Try Bootfighter Windom XP SP-2. It's a rather primitive, but somewhat fun Virtual On clone. It has multiplayer, but I'm not sure if anyone still plays it.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Space Station Silicon Valley for the N64 might fit the bill.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frankosity posted:

Armored Core games are what you play when you don't mind a hideous targeting system and having to navigate dozens of menus over and over again to tune your build constantly. Armored 4 Answer is vastly improved over its predecessors and features amazing, gigantic boss battles and a lot more boosting/aerial actions than previous entries but it still has much of the bullshit older entries do. Try the demo.

Other than that, no. Zone of the Enders is the only 3d, fast paced mech battle action series. Vanquish has some similarities but its 2d and heavily focused on score attack. Try the demo here as well.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
I really like games with immersive, highly detailed worlds. Think Majora's Mask, Bioshock, or Morrowind. Any sort of game where there are a ton of tiny details that make the environment unique. Any recommendations for similar games?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

smokyprogg posted:

I really like games with immersive, highly detailed worlds. Think Majora's Mask, Bioshock, or Morrowind. Any sort of game where there are a ton of tiny details that make the environment unique. Any recommendations for similar games?

Mass Effect especially when you play Mass Effect 2 with your Mass Effect 1 save imported.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Pikey posted:

Looking for a light RPG that's good for shorter, ~30 minute playtimes that preferably has a fun and unique magic system. Basically I don't have the time to commit to a epic tale of an RPG with 100+ hours of drawn on dialogue and fetch quests. Just something fun, simple to get into, and that won't drag on for ages to get any satisfaction out of it

Have you tried Deathspank? It's an action rpg like Diablo, not very long, and is written by the guy who did Monkey Island. Should be cheap too, for the pc, xbox or ps3.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

smokyprogg posted:

The Metroid Prime games.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Barudak posted:

Mass Effect especially when you play Mass Effect 2 with your Mass Effect 1 save imported.

Played both and they were awesome.

Chakram posted:

The Metroid Prime games.

Played through 3-4 times each.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well then, Nier.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

smokyprogg posted:

Metro 2033. It's quite Bioshock-like, and the immersion factor and level of detail are great. If you liked Morrowind, then you would probably like Fallout: New Vegas, even if some locales are sparsely populated.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

smokyprogg posted:

Red Dead Redemption

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

smokyprogg posted:

I should shoot myself for even thinking it but have you ever played World of Warcraft? There really aren't any other games I can think of with as huge, detailed, and immersive of a game world as WoW's.

Even if you hate everything else about WoW, you have to admit the world Blizzard made for it kicks tons of rear end.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 16, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreatGreen posted:

I should shoot myself for even thinking it but have you ever played World of Warcraft? There really aren't any other games I can think of with as huge, detailed, and immersive of a game world as WoW's.

Even if you hate everything else about WoW, you have to admit the world Blizzard made for it kicks tons of rear end.

Speaking of world size, I saw some chart the other day that said WoW's game world was tiny compared to some titles like the LoTR MMO and old-school Daggerfall. I can understand Daggerfall, as I believe it was all procedurally generated, and stuff like Fuel, which you drive though, but what about the LoTR game? Is that just endless, endless tracts of nothingness you have to traverse?

As cool as WoW's world is, even then world traversal gets pretty boring after you've played it for any length of time. I can't even imagine what the LoTR MMO is like.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
This is an interesting topic, really. According to that map, Just Cause 2's world is over twice the size of WoW's... But WoW has about 100 times more detail per square mile, and it has who knows how many types of environments represented in its world, whereas Just Cause 2's map was pretty obviously auto-generated, towns are pretty much cookie cutter, and only like 4-5 types of environments are represented. Both games are phenomenal in their own ways, by the way, but their landmasses are there to do completely different jobs.

Also, in Just Cause 2, you can get around so fast that the map seems a lot smaller than it is, where WoW's travel system is a lot slower and the land is more detailed. It's all about context. Ask yourself this. What space would seem less cramped to you: a football field for you to drive an 18-wheeler around in or a single, 30x30 foot patch of grass where you had a magnifying glass and were told to track an ant?

That map comparison pic is neat and all, but it's about as far from being useful information as it can be.

Also, in Daggerfall, you can literally hold down the forward button for days at a time without sleeping and not see a single change in the ground texture or the 7 to 10 repeating plant sprites. And in that time, you'll be lucky if you spot more than, say, 3 enemies. And you probably won't come across any towns or dungeons either. Maybe one, but probably not. Good thing that game had a fast travel system.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreatGreen posted:

This is an interesting topic, really. According to that map, Just Cause 2's world is over twice the size of WoW's... But WoW has about 100 times more detail per square mile, and it has who knows how many types of environments represented in its world, whereas Just Cause 2's map was pretty obviously auto-generated, towns are pretty much cookie cutter, and only like 4-5 types of environments are represented. Both games are phenomenal in their own ways, by the way, but their landmasses are there to do completely different jobs.

Also, in Just Cause 2, you can get around so fast that the map seems a lot smaller than it is, where WoW's travel system is a lot slower and the land is more detailed. It's all about context. Ask yourself this. What space would seem less cramped to you: a football field for you to drive an 18-wheeler around in or a single, 30x30 foot patch of grass where you had a magnifying glass and were told to track an ant?

That map comparison pic is neat and all, but it's about as far from being useful information as it can be.

Also, in Daggerfall, you can literally hold down the forward button for days at a time without sleeping and not see a single change in the ground texture or the 7 to 10 repeating plant sprites. And in that time, you'll be lucky if you spot more than, say, 3 enemies. And you probably won't come across any towns or dungeons either. Maybe one, but probably not. Good thing that game had a fast travel system.

Oh, I agree completely on the perception of size versus actual size. And as you say, whipping around the bigger world of JC2 makes it feel smaller than something like WoW. I still don't get the LoTR vs WoW thing though. If the numbers on the right are correct, the LoTR world is vastly larger than WoWs, and yet they're both handcrafted worlds (I'm assuming in LoTR's case, since I haven't actually played it). What exactly is LoTR's world filled with? How is travel accomplished over such vast distances without completely melting the players brain? .... although going by subscriber numbers, this may already be the case for LoTR.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 16, 2010