Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Is there any US-based online bits store that has both 40k and Fantasy, and not at insane prices? I'm not gonna pay 6 bucks for a single multimelta at the Warstore, and although Bitz Barn has (most) of the Skaven and Marine bits I'm looking for, everything is out of stock there.

http://www.apocabitznow.com/

but if your looking for melta guns GW direct actually sells them at a fair-ish price compared to battlewagon bitz

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440339a&prodId=prod1400031

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Calico Noose posted:

I'm ordering an Earthen Dire Troll and a Dire Troll Mauler from them for christmas, how long should i expect to wait?

I dunno, it's been a while since I ordered anything. 1-6 weeks, I think was my experience. Depends mostly on whether your order's in stock or not.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Calico Noose posted:

I'm getting back into war gaming for the first time since high school and wanted some general advice of paints. Which company's are good value on brushes and paints? Is there any companies that i should avoid buying from? And is anybody in Australia who knows of a good retailer either online or bricks and mortar for this kind of stuff?

Pretty much your best bet is Maelstrom Games for paints and figures, DickBill for brushes. The Australian Dollar is way up right now, and local stores won't be able to match those prices. Links arson the OP.

Calico Noose posted:

I'm ordering an Earthen Dire Troll and a Dire Troll Mauler from them for christmas, how long should i expect to wait?

Generally it takes about 10 days after you receive the dispatch confirmation, but that can be days to weeks depending on item availability.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Calico Noose posted:

They take about 1-2 weeks to process & ship your order, and then the normal 6 working days for shipping I find. Once they send you a shipped email, you're set. Don't worry, it will definitely be there before Christmas.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So I picked up Ultraforge's Greater Wardemon and was thinking about what to do with it. I've got a self righteous BA player nearby and I've been thinking about naming this demon Ka'Bandha to throw some mud in his face. Towards that end, I've been thinking of changing up his base and having him kneeling in front of some wrecked Blood Angels bike/dreadnought/etc but I'm not sure what'd be best. Any ideas?

For reference:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Mondian posted:

So I picked up Ultraforge's Greater Wardemon and was thinking about what to do with it. I've got a self righteous BA player nearby and I've been thinking about naming this demon Ka'Bandha to throw some mud in his face. Towards that end, I've been thinking of changing up his base and having him kneeling in front of some wrecked Blood Angels bike/dreadnought/etc but I'm not sure what'd be best. Any ideas?

For reference:

can you carve out that hand and have it gripping the semi-crushed torso of that golden seraphim jackass BA guy who's name I forget? Maybe stick a broken wing under its hoof?

I guess that's a lot of dremmeling.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Not that much... his limbs, torso, and the rock he's on are all separate pieces. I figured I'd just ditch the rocky base, put him on a custom one and decorate it with fallen Blood Angels.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

How big is that base?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Tiny, its like 50mm. I was thinking of just making something bigger or using that big Trygon base, so I could scatter a few dead marines, maybe a sanguinary priest or something alongside whatever he'll be gripping.

e: Tiny compared to him, that is. Here's a size comparison with some random stuff on my table.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 11, 2010

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I hate that model because it looks like he's trying to sit in a chair that's way too small for him.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I hate that model because it looks like he's trying to sit in a chair that's way too small for him.

"Look Qzxbixosix, we have some bigger chairs if you want, it's no big deal"

"No, no, I don't want to be a bother..."

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Mondian posted:

Tiny, its like 50mm. I was thinking of just making something bigger or using that big Trygon base, so I could scatter a few dead marines, maybe a sanguinary priest or something alongside whatever he'll be gripping.

e: Tiny compared to him, that is. Here's a size comparison with some random stuff on my table.

Excellent taste in models and cigarettes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, I'd definitely put some dead blood angles around him to gently caress with that guy.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are the bitz packs on GW's site direct-only, or can they be purchased at GW stores too?

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

:( X = :dong:
So has Ultraforge stopped selling stuff from its site? They've had the 'taking a break, back in January' message up for over a year now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Are the bitz packs on GW's site direct-only, or can they be purchased at GW stores too?

Direct-only, but sometimes your GW or FLGS will let you order the bitz to the store then buy them there.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Spacefrog posted:

So has Ultraforge stopped selling stuff from its site? They've had the 'taking a break, back in January' message up for over a year now.

Pretty much. You can still get a few of their models from the Warstore, but not everything.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Direct-only, but sometimes your GW or FLGS will let you order the bitz to the store then buy them there.

Just like I suspected. Thanks man.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How can I make a base similar to this? Namely the liquidy effects? I'm not good with green stuff, but I suppose you don't have to be to make a basic ball. Would fingerprints show through too much, though?

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Thats Beads, Glue, and water effects.

Rinar
Sep 9, 2007

Sab669 posted:

How can I make a base similar to this? Namely the liquidy effects? I'm not good with green stuff, but I suppose you don't have to be to make a basic ball. Would fingerprints show through too much, though?

There was a guide for this miniature ages ago and he did the base by cutting little plastic balls in half to make the bubbles. Using green stuff for this is just gonna be a pain so I'd rather use the plastic balls, paint them and then cover in varnish.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Interesting, I'll have to see if I can pick some up later today.
I just finished my first box of Chaos Marauders and want to do this for their bases

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Airbrushing gripphone sepia holy poo poo :catdrugs: :slick: :pcgaming: :whatup:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PaintVagrant posted:

What? WHAT? Does it suck? TELL ME!

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

how do you airbrush a wash without making a retardly huge mess? :iiam:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

how do you airbrush a wash without making a retardly huge mess? :iiam:

easily! It just sort of tones the whole surface, it's actually pretty sweet.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
It basically glazes the surface with a perfectly even coat, so it doesnt run unlessyou spray too much on. I mixed it with windex a little, it worked pretty much flawlessly and I washed like 20+ marines and 4 tank in about 30 minutes.

So yeah holy poo poo

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

It basically glazes the surface with a perfectly even coat, so it doesnt run unlessyou spray too much on. I mixed it with windex a little, it worked pretty much flawlessly and I washed like 20+ marines and 4 tank in about 30 minutes.

So yeah holy poo poo

drat I'm glad I bought that airbrush i'll have to try this

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

Yes... Sadly, with my paint scheme, I want the wash to flow, so I gotta do it by hand. :(

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

PaintVagrant posted:

That is awesome, and is exactly what I need for better vehicle painting.

I may give myself an airbrush as a Christmas present this year. It would reduce my model painting time even further... :allears:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

As PV mentioned, the wash pretty much stays right where you spray it, so it's awesome for tinting models various colors, but you won't get the "in the recesses" look with it. It's kind of hard to describe, but maybe PV has found a way to make them look just as awesome anyways.

PV, might I request photos of your washed marines and tanks to see how they turned out?

EDIT MK II: Yeah, so I completely missed the awesome skintones link in the OP the first time. :suicide:

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 13, 2010

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

That's the thing- I use gryphonne sepia to tint a lot of my colors. That's in addition to actually shading various recesses.

With my tanks, getting the the Gryphonne Sepia + Desert Yellow color down was a bitch, as I had to keep poking at the wash to (attempt to) prevent the pooling problems. Being able to hit it with an airbrush for the color alteration and then properly hit just the recesses with a brush would make my life a lot easier.

That said, I'm trying out a different style for my marines. Rather than starting light and then washing down for shading, I'm trying the dark->light drybrushing/blending thing. We'll see how that goes...

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
What dissolves green stuff? Nail polish remover?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Swags posted:

What dissolves green stuff? Nail polish remover?

Anything that dissolves green stuff will dissolve plastics and corrode metal pretty badly. Your best bet is to cut it off, or if you are lucky, you can simply "shear" it off by wiggling it back and forth: it will naturally separate from the base material.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Sole.Sushi posted:

Anything that dissolves green stuff will dissolve plastics and corrode metal pretty badly. Your best bet is to cut it off, or if you are lucky, you can simply "shear" it off by wiggling it back and forth: it will naturally separate from the base material.

This man speaks truth. I was able to quickly remove ~16 badly done greenstuff breasts from some secondhand Wood Elves with just a little scraping. Really not much effort.

Thank god.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

You should give them pink armbands to represent their tragic loss.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Thanks for the advice. Bought some badly constructed trollbloods on eBay and it looks like they're held together only with greenstuff (as in, no glue). So now I have to break them apart and put them back together. Yey.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Swags posted:

Thanks for the advice. Bought some badly constructed trollbloods on eBay and it looks like they're held together only with greenstuff (as in, no glue). So now I have to break them apart and put them back together. Yey.

No glue = that stuff will come right off. Try dropping the model from about a foot if you are confident that you won't ruin any of the detail of the model.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Couldn't you try the freeze/thaw trick as though it were glue in this case? The stuff should be well hardened to itself, all you really need to do is break the bond to the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
simple green makes greenstuff rubbery and easy to peel off and doesn't hurt plastics

• Locked thread