Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clean Cup
Mar 4, 2009

Radio Paranoia posted:

You should maybe check out Negura Bunget, Cobalt and Krallice too. Cobalt's lyrics have a lot to do with Hemingway and their songwriting is great!

Fauna are pretty good as well, if you're into +60 minute songs.

seconding negura bunget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Everyone should listen to Negura Bunget's Om. I seriously loving love that poo poo, can't really say why though, guess I just have so many fond memories attached to it.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Anyone have anything to say about a band called Clair Cassis? I ordered some records and got sent, in addition to said records, 3 empty vinyl sleeves of Clair Cassis' eponymous album. The cover looks good and so I was wondering if I should find more about this band.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

HMorg posted:

Anyone have anything to say about a band called Clair Cassis? I ordered some records and got sent, in addition to said records, 3 empty vinyl sleeves of Clair Cassis' eponymous album. The cover looks good and so I was wondering if I should find more about this band.

Ooh, a Velvet Cacoon side project? Funny they sent you just empty sleeves. What's up with that?

I mean I suppose they also stole the music in Clair Cassis? :P

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Kaiho posted:

Ooh, a Velvet Cacoon side project? Funny they sent you just empty sleeves. What's up with that?

I mean I suppose they also stole the music in Clair Cassis? :P

I guess they just needed something to fill up the box so the other records wouldn't rattle around. I suppose they had a bunch of extra sleeves. Or maybe the band is poo poo and no one buys their frisbees anyway.

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn

Clean Cup posted:

seconding negura bunget.

Thus also Dordeduh

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
I might be way late on this, but is anyone listening to Ghost? Definitely one of the more interesting records I've heard in a while. It's kinda black metal, kinda prog, kinda stoner... sort of tough to categorize... but I've listened to their album about five times in a row, really dig it and figured it might be worth mentioning.

http://www.myspace.com/thebandghost

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Anathema Mameshiba posted:

Thus also Dordeduh

And Ordinul Negru.

Gonna give Om a spin again.

Drudkh's latest album (and the rest of their discography) is blowing my mind this week! They've always been one of those bands that I've given a cursory listen to, but after reading a review of A Handful of Stars and then giving it a solid listen they've grown on me massively!

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

HMorg posted:

Clair Cassis got me back into black metal. Absolutely loved it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Radio Paranoia posted:

And Ordinul Negru.

Gonna give Om a spin again.

Drudkh's latest album (and the rest of their discography) is blowing my mind this week! They've always been one of those bands that I've given a cursory listen to, but after reading a review of A Handful of Stars and then giving it a solid listen they've grown on me massively!

If you haven't heard Blood in our Wells, especially the song "Furrows of Gods", do it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzTHCRmyKs

My favorite Drudkh album and song.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Captain Morose posted:

I might be way late on this, but is anyone listening to Ghost? Definitely one of the more interesting records I've heard in a while. It's kinda black metal, kinda prog, kinda stoner... sort of tough to categorize... but I've listened to their album about five times in a row, really dig it and figured it might be worth mentioning.

Ghost's Opus Eponymous has easily become my album of 2010. It is kinda tough to peg into a genre. It's got black, thrash and progressive stoner qualities. I've even heard them called, power pop? Regardless, they're pure evil! They remind me a lot of Mercyful Fate. Every song is great!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

HMorg posted:

Clair Cassis?

"Light blackcurrant"???

Thanks for the Forteresse tip, Gr31lly. I've heard the name before but will definitely check them out now.

My own request: I want some grim, angry (but not too thrashy) BM in the style of Geist, Imperium Dekadenz and Endstille. Something about that German sound is hitting my sweet spot of late.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

QPZIL posted:

If you haven't heard Blood in our Wells, especially the song "Furrows of Gods", do it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzTHCRmyKs

My favorite Drudkh album and song.

Was listening to this album earlier today. Phenomenal stuff!

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Ghost's Opus Eponymous has easily become my album of 2010. It is kinda tough to peg into a genre. It's got black, thrash and progressive stoner qualities. I've even heard them called, power pop? Regardless, they're pure evil! They remind me a lot of Mercyful Fate. Every song is great!

I'm with you on the best of 2010 thing. This record is GOOD. It's like they deliberately, but in a completely tongue-in-cheek sort of way, recorded that 1970's teenage-brain warping Devil record that parents always feared, but never actually existed. There's something almost silly about it. It's shockingly accessible and poppy for something so evil. But yeah, good poo poo. I'm really glad I stumbled upon it earlier tonight.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I suppose it's all in the greater glory of praising Satan's name.

Hail Satan!!!

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Ghost is pretty hyped over here in Europe. Probably, amongst other things, because even though you're "not meant to know" it's a Mary Goore (of Repugnant) project.

Personally I think the overall music is comparable to a weaker version of In Solitude. The album was certainly stronger than the EP they released, and there is an influence from Mercyful Fate in the riffs patterns and the unclean vocals; but the full package, to me, isn't up to much aside from a few tracks.
They're borrowing heavily from Coven (well, it's occult rock), but most of the elements they've taken are on the twee side. I do like the instrumental on the album, but mostly because it reminds me of the italian prog group Goblin.

Oh, and being on Rise Above, the die hard prices etc, are an absolute joke.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

drainpipe posted:

It sounds like you're into atmospheric stuff. Check out Drudkh (not their newest), Alcest's Le Secret EP, Walknut.

I just wanna stress how important it is you listen to Walknut. They're incredible.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Man, I don't get all the Ghost love. I listened to the first three track on their myspace, and thought the riffs were kinda boring. Sounds like the singer is pretty apathetic as well. I dunno, not my bag I guess.

I did finally jump on the Absu train a couple of weeks ago by picking up Tara. Good stuff, will be getting more.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Kaiho posted:

Corpse paint and pure grimness? Nah. Black metal? loving hell yes.

Any excuse to post AN videos. Even if it is 3 pages back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MOEw9o6Oc

Also while I do actually like Cradle of Filth somebody really needs to tell them that dressing up as a 4' tall Edward scissorhands with glittery eyeshadow is not metal of any nameable subgenre except perhaps Pisscore; Taking The.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Verizian posted:

Any excuse to post AN videos. Even if it is 3 pages back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MOEw9o6Oc

Jesus Christ, that drummer's a machine.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Groke posted:

For those of us who do not understand Ukrainian, this is a pretty distant concern.

Drudkh was essentially formed by members of Hate Forest, a rather open NSBM act, and I thought the implications of "Sunwheel" on the first Drudkh release were leaning towards the far right, even though I don't understand the lyrics. I am just saying if he / she isn't looking for the negative in BM ...

If we are talking Atmospheric I'll again throw out Lustre - Welcome Winter.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 12, 2010

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for the replies, I know most of them but a few unknown and will checkout. From first glance at them they sound a bit folky which isnt ideal but nice anyway.

Lyrics don't really impact me on the topic of negativity, only really the feel of the songs themselves. :)

For anyone else interested, I like albums very different and out there as opposed to the bulk of the genre.
Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
Darkestrah - Epos
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars
Nachtmystium - Assassins: Black Meddle Part I

Can't really remember any else of the top of my head but they're great atmosphereic stuff!

Cold Day fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 12, 2010

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn

Radio Paranoia posted:

And Ordinul Negru.

No!! They have horrible horrible vocals.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Something about that German sound is hitting my sweet spot of late.

Well iirc you have a lot of the best German BM already, but look into Orlog and if you don't have any get yourself some Nocte Obducta immediately (not their last ep)

Cold Day posted:

Darkestrah - Epos

You do also have The Great Silk Road, right?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

No!! They have horrible horrible vocals.

I happen to like the crazy, tortured Austere/Silencer-like vocals. :colbert:
And even then, the music more than makes up for it.

A nice find for me the other day was Dantalion. DSBM in the vein of Shining - the vocals in places reminded me a lot of Kvarforth and the riffs were quite solid.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You do also have The Great Silk Road, right?

On the off chance that anyone doesn't, this album is loving amazing.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Well iirc you have a lot of the best German BM already, but look into Orlog and if you don't have any get yourself some Nocte Obducta immediately (not their last ep)

Will check Orlog out for sure! I will also investigate Nocte Obducta further - I like what I've heard so far, so thanks for the reminder.

Cold Day posted:

Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty

Everyone in this thread is probably sick of hearing me say this, but this is my favourite ever album. Good news is that the band is working hard on the new album, which apparently sounds like "icebergs crashing together". The first song is mixed and they're working hard on the other six, according to the Moonsorrow studio diary blog.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

but this is my favourite ever album.

It's certainly up there for me as well. Probably in my top five easily.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

CornHolio posted:

It's certainly up there for me as well. Probably in my top five easily.

I have to agree - it's an excellent piece of work. I just love Moonsorrow now.

So, has anyone seen Watain this tour yet? Are they dragging along smelly dead things with them? (I know this is like asking 'is water wet?', but still.) I really want to see Watain, but I don't know how I'm going to deal with the smell. (And I want to support my friends in the band Irony on their last show ever.) I am false metal that way :colbert:

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)

Captain Morose posted:

Ghost is incredible, I hope their LP makes to a US distributor.
Anyone interested in Ghost should check out Devil: http://www.myspace.com/devilband
This doom rock act reminds me Ghost and their demo gets released next week. it sounds like it was recorded 30 years ago!

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
I like Ghost's Ritual but to me I get more of a Queens of the Stone Age/Misfits crossover feeling than anything.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Will check Orlog out for sure! I will also investigate Nocte Obducta further - I like what I've heard so far, so thanks for the reminder.

Everyone in this thread is probably sick of hearing me say this, but this is my favourite ever album. Good news is that the band is working hard on the new album, which apparently sounds like "icebergs crashing together". The first song is mixed and they're working hard on the other six, according to the Moonsorrow studio diary blog.

Yeah can't go past that album. I find the others too folky, this one hits the spot.

Anathema Mameshiba - Yeah I do have that one but the waves, oh the waves!

As for Ghost I'm not a fan, seems like another gimmicky throw back but not really band with no lasting value (The Devil's Blood)

Judas Chongo
Sep 12, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

I have to agree - it's an excellent piece of work. I just love Moonsorrow now.

So, has anyone seen Watain this tour yet? Are they dragging along smelly dead things with them? (I know this is like asking 'is water wet?', but still.) I really want to see Watain, but I don't know how I'm going to deal with the smell. (And I want to support my friends in the band Irony on their last show ever.) I am false metal that way :colbert:

I'm gonna go see them on the 24th, I checked them out and I liked Sworn To The Dark quite a bit and they seem like they put on a great live show. I can't imagine the smell being any worse than the warehouse crust shows I attended in high school.

Finally got around to listening to Forest Poetry by Ildjarn after going on an endless Bone Awl kick. I love this stuff so much I can just listen to fuzzed out repetitive rear end riffs all day.

I also checked out Diocletian's second ep and Witchrist's most recent lp, Decimator and Beheaded Ouroborus, and I really enjoy them. I guess they are both considered blackened death metal and opening me up to exploring death metal as a genre more beyond Entombed and Repulsion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aytPdjFzmaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOOgNHqp-LM

Axolotl Atlatl
Mar 19, 2009

It's the truth, mang.
Just ask your pop.

Judas Chongo posted:

I'm gonna go see them on the 24th, I checked them out and I liked Sworn To The Dark quite a bit and they seem like they put on a great live show. I can't imagine the smell being any worse than the warehouse crust shows I attended in high school.

:hfive: I'll be at that one too, I think. You wouldn't happen to know what time they go on, would you? Think the earliest I can leave is 4 and it's a 6-hour drive, so I'll probably miss all the openers.

And yeah, dead animals can't possibly smell worse than the Altar of Plagues show I went to... locked in a broom closet full of candles in New Orleans, in July, with no AC, assholes-and-elbows with dudes who hadn't showered since '94. I'll take the rotten goats, please.

Judas Chongo
Sep 12, 2007

No clue I don't even know who any of the openers are and I haven't been to numbers since I was like 17.

Anathema Mameshiba
Oct 11, 2010

by T. Finn
Protip: don't get putrefied goat blood on you if you want to ever not smell of it again

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Judas Chongo posted:

I also checked out Diocletian's second ep and Witchrist's most recent lp, Decimator and Beheaded Ouroborus, and I really enjoy them. I guess they are both considered blackened death metal and opening me up to exploring death metal as a genre more beyond Entombed and Repulsion.

Hey check out Seven Chalices by Teitanblood if you haven't heard it yet. It's a nice album filled with happy little moments.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Protip: don't get putrefied goat blood on you if you want to ever not smell of it again

Went to the Watain show last night, but left before they hit the stage due to me not feeling all that hot, and prior commitments today. Apparently the mammalian fluid du noir was rancid pig's blood. And the session guitarist kicked a few people in the audience, so it was good times all around! :sweden:

However, I did stay for Goatwhore, and liked them quite a bit.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Gr31lly posted:

Probably, amongst other things, because even though you're "not meant to know" it's a Mary Goore (of Repugnant) project.

Oh, really? How did you come by this knowledge? I mean, although their identities are inevitable to surface, it's just not been disclosed yet that I've heard of. Also sounds like it would be a conflict of interest since Repugnant is suppose to active again with the intentions of releasing new material. Interesting...

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Oh, really? How did you come by this knowledge? I mean, although their identities are inevitable to surface, it's just not been disclosed yet that I've heard of. Also sounds like it would be a conflict of interest since Repugnant is suppose to active again with the intentions of releasing new material. Interesting...

It's uh, fairly obvious?

There's a number of people who know who the entire band are, and Repugnant involvement was rumoured from the EP onwards. If you check Tobias's (Mary Goore) rock/pop band Subvision out you'll notice the vocals are exactly the same (and interestingly, his pop band is basically the 2001 Repugnant lineup + a drummer).

And yes, Repugnant are active again, I saw them during the summer and they're good live. Repugnant and Ghost have appeared on the same billing in Sweden incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Speaking of rancid-smelling concerts, this weekend was Nidrosian Black Mass III here in Trondheim. The stage was fenced in by crucified deer-heads, which were not a pleasant odor after 3 days of sweaty gigs. Concerning the individual bands, Behexen smelled the worst, covered in rotten blood and something that must have been either fish guts or semen. It was one hell of a festival though, these kind of shows are pretty hard to come by.