Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Schweinhund posted:

infinity isn't an integer :eng101:

So it can't even be applied to math? How about a NUMBER between 0 and infinity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NOG posted:

So it can't even be applied to math? How about a NUMBER between 0 and infinity?

You can't start at zero and reach infinity by any arithmetic process, so there's no way to ask that question.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

NOG posted:

If you could truly have something pick a integer between 0 and infinity, is the function possible at all to begin with? The range is infinity, so would the result always be infinity?

By "something", do you mean a program of some kind? In theory, just one attempt would break the drat thing, since it would inevitably select a number waaaaaaaaaaaay outside it's capabilities to calculate or display. Whatever the limits for its capabilities are, that's a finite number, with the numbers beyond it's capabilities still being infinite.

Essentially, the probability of it selecting a number it would be capable of displaying are 1/infinity% which goes to zero.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

NOG posted:

If you could truly have something pick a integer between 0 and infinity, is the function possible at all to begin with? The range is infinity, so would the result always be infinity?

Real fast, the range is always written as < (infinity), and you can never take a function 'at infinity' just the limit as x (or y or z) approaches infinite.

Infinity is also not equal to infinity (for example, limit 2n as compared to limit of n, both go to infinity, n>1, but the former grows at twice the rate of the second.)

Most straightforward, the fact you can pick an integer from zero to near infinity, specifically means that the function is defined for all real numbers (rather than some other specific domain)

And a range of up to infinity does not preclude an infinite sum. It may drat well converge on some finite number.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

haveblue posted:

You can't start at zero and reach infinity by any arithmetic process, so there's no way to ask that question.

Only because infinity is not a destination. It's not at all clear that it is impossible to traverse an infinity; it is only clear that infinity is not a destination.

It's tautology to make the claim that infinities are not traversable; it just comes down to whether you want to claim that existence is created in time or eternal. "Now" is a destination. If the universe is eternal, then we have already traversed an eternity to get here.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
"It's your birthday, go (insert person's name), go (insert person's name)" gets used a lot in media as somethign shouted at people dancing.

Is there a particular source for this?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

kapalama posted:

"It's your birthday, go (insert person's name), go (insert person's name)" gets used a lot in media as somethign shouted at people dancing.

Is there a particular source for this?

In Da Club, by 50 Cent posted:

Go, go, go, go
Go, go, go shawty
It's your birthday
We gon' party like it's yo birthday
We gon' sip Bacardi like it's your birthday
And you know we don't give a gently caress
It's not your birthday!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Ok from watching a bunch of science shows over the years I have somewhat of a layman's understanding of what a mass-spectrometer does and a few of its uses and this thing I'm questioning sounds like it has the same principles or is at least used for some of the same things. but..

It was something my brother was telling me about years back, he's a paramedic for a private company, was hanging out in a firestation one time and said the firemen were showing him something bought with a bunch of federal anti-terror money. It was something to be used for detecting bad stuff, anthrax or explosives or something. Anyway, he said one of the firemen put some mint skoal in the thing and it popped up "mint skoal" on the screen.

Is that for real? or is he BSing me? (or firefighters BSing him? double-clicking on a .doc that has "mint skoal" typed in 48pt times new roman) Seems a little CSI-ish to me. Could I put mint timberwolf in and it say "mint timberwolf"? Would it know the difference between goldfish crackers and wal-mart "cheese-whales"? what's the thing called? Does it have a huge database stored inside it of every substance and consumer product's electron or whatever signature?

(I have no idea why this popped into my head today 5+ years after him telling me about it)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 11, 2010

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Zegnar posted:

It definitely pre-dates 50 cent though. There's another song used in Chasing Away with the lyrics he's talking about, and that was '97

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This is a very stupid question and I am certainly not asking it because I want to do it.

What would happen if you snorted something like sesame seeds? Something that has a bit of mass to it and won't be dissolving. Would it get stuck in the nasal cavity? How would it get out? Through the nose or mouth?

I was toasting some sesame seeds and sneezed, which made me think of this question.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It would probably get trapped in the mucous and either get sneezed out or run down the back of your throat. It could cause a problem if it got stuck, I had a teacher who nearly died from pneumonia because she inhaled a piece of broccoli which got stuck in her lung and started decaying.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

haveblue posted:

Elijya posted:

By "something", do you mean a program of some kind? In theory, just one attempt would break the drat thing, since it would inevitably select a number waaaaaaaaaaaay outside it's capabilities to calculate or display. Whatever the limits for its capabilities are, that's a finite number, with the numbers beyond it's capabilities still being infinite.

Essentially, the probability of it selecting a number it would be capable of displaying are 1/infinity% which goes to zero.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Real fast, the range is always written as < (infinity), and you can never take a function 'at infinity' just the limit as x (or y or z) approaches infinite.

Infinity is also not equal to infinity (for example, limit 2n as compared to limit of n, both go to infinity, n>1, but the former grows at twice the rate of the second.)

Most straightforward, the fact you can pick an integer from zero to near infinity, specifically means that the function is defined for all real numbers (rather than some other specific domain)

And a range of up to infinity does not preclude an infinite sum. It may drat well converge on some finite number.

kapalama posted:

Only because infinity is not a destination. It's not at all clear that it is impossible to traverse an infinity; it is only clear that infinity is not a destination.

It's tautology to make the claim that infinities are not traversable; it just comes down to whether you want to claim that existence is created in time or eternal. "Now" is a destination. If the universe is eternal, then we have already traversed an eternity to get here.

The answer I was looking for would probably not be based on a computer program. Just rules based on mathematics. I'm guessing it's an invalid question altogether. The stuff that you said makes my head explode a little, which is good. Thanks.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Any recommending for a decent, low-priced voice recognition/speech-to-text software program? I've actually only heard of Dragon NaturallySpeaking (looks like it's about $99 for the basic home version) but I figure some goons might have some experience with some other programs. Thanks!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Zegnar posted:

Sorry, the it's your birthday thing predates 50 Cent by a long time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvNDimHIfws

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

stubblyhead posted:

Sorry, the it's your birthday thing predates 50 Cent by a long time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvNDimHIfws

I remember seeing some interview with him when I was a kid about the 2 live crew being too nasty or something. It was oprah or sally jessy or one of them trick hos. I think they actually had motley crue on the show too and were talking about motley crue=good because even though they talk about satan sex and drugs they don't say the word gently caress. (unless I'm completely delirious and this was SNL or something)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Pontius Pilate posted:

Plenty of British actors can do a very convincing American accent. With people like Hugh Laurie (Dr. House) I would never be able to tell that they aren't native American English speakers. Maybe because people receive much more exposure to the American English accent than Australian accents? I dunno.

Edit: Looking over your post again, I'm not sure if you're asking about non-English speakers attempting to get the accent right or English speakers with different accents attempting to get a certain accent right. If it's the former, then that is much more difficult and I can't think of any actors off the top of my head that fit the criteria.

In my experience it has to do with the nuances and slang of the language more than the accent. Someone using very proper American English sounds goofy to most people regardless of the accent.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Emmjay posted:

A quick question about accents in movies and on TV. When a foreign actor speaks in your native language, are you always able to tell that they are not native speakers? I'm Australian and I've never seen an actor do a convincing Aussie accent - is that because the accent is difficult to do or because a non-native speaker can never totally get an accent right?

For what it's worth, my Australian girlfriend thought that Val Kilmer had a very convincing accent in The Saint.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Plenty of British actors can do a very convincing American accent. With people like Hugh Laurie (Dr. House) I would never be able to tell that they aren't native American English speakers. Maybe because people receive much more exposure to the American English accent than Australian accents? I dunno.

Hugh Laurie's American accent is pretty good, but it's not convincing because he mixes pronunciations from all kinds of American English. The writers of the show have explained this by saying he traveled a lot as a child (I think in the military, I don't follow the show) but that doesn't usually give people an accent that combines all the different ways of talking from where you've lived. Your accent usually combines what you heard as a small child with where you've been living for the last 5 years or so.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Hugh Laurie's American accent is pretty good, but it's not convincing because he mixes pronunciations from all kinds of American English. The writers of the show have explained this by saying he traveled a lot as a child (I think in the military, I don't follow the show) but that doesn't usually give people an accent that combines all the different ways of talking from where you've lived. Your accent usually combines what you heard as a small child with where you've been living for the last 5 years or so.

Huh that's interesting. I don't watch the show frequently so I never picked up on that. So what Brits can do it the best?

nWoCHRISnWo
May 4, 2009
This is undoubtedly on the stupid end of questions here-

I know there's a forum for this kind of stuff, but I'm sure I'm one of the only idiots nowadays that doesn't know this, so anyone here will be able to answer this. I'm completely lost when it comes to high definition technology. For example, if I get a high-def tv, will EVERY tv show look a lot better? If so, what about high-def shows (like specifically advertised HD football) are those just another step better looking?

And how about video games? I understand old video game systems might not look great or even work on newer tvs (right?), but do new games look better on HD tvs?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

This is undoubtedly on the stupid end of questions here-

I know there's a forum for this kind of stuff, but I'm sure I'm one of the only idiots nowadays that doesn't know this, so anyone here will be able to answer this. I'm completely lost when it comes to high definition technology. For example, if I get a high-def tv, will EVERY tv show look a lot better? If so, what about high-def shows (like specifically advertised HD football) are those just another step better looking?

And how about video games? I understand old video game systems might not look great or even work on newer tvs (right?), but do new games look better on HD tvs?

The ten cent tour:

Standard-def TVs (SDTV) can only display a certain, lower resolution, of, I believe, 640x480. They are interlaced, meaning every other line is drawn with each refresh, and are referred to as 480i (480 interlaced lines). SDTV shows are sent in this resolution. SD shows and TVs operate on a 4:3 ratio; they would be 4 feet wide if 3 feet tall.

High-def TVs (HDTV) can display higher resolutions, much nicer than 480i, and also are wider screen: Generally 16:9 or 16:10. The resolutions you're dealing with are 720p (1280x720, progressive, meaning it draws every line each frame, rather than every other line, leading to less flicker and smoother movement), 1080i (1920x1080, interlaced) and 1080p (1920x1080, progressive). Note that while Blu-rays, games, and some satellites may support 1080p, it is not used by any other broadcast method. 720p and 1080i are generally interchangeable, though some will say one is better for certain action than the other. I haven't looked hard enough to try to tell the difference.

Another benefit of progressive vs interlaced: SD TV is 60 frames per second, but interlaced, so each line is only being redrawn 30 times a second. 720p draws every line 60 times a second, making for smoother video.

SD shows will not look better on a HD TV. Some might say they look even worse; most SD shows were made back when the CRT, not the LCD, was the norm, and were designed around its limitations. Viewing them on an LCD makes those flaws that much more apparent.

HD shows will look amazing on an HDTV. They are not receivable on an SDTV.

The XBox 360 and PS3 support HD resolutions; the Wii unfortunately does not, though it does support widescreen SD. Hooking the 360 or PS3 up to an HDTV will look amazing. Older, non-HD, systems will look generally worse on an HDTV than a CRT simply because, again, they were designed around the limitations of a CRT. Specifically, the pixel size is different, and also with older games you could expect a certain amount of blurriness, unlike the sharp pixels of today. This is why many people like to turn scanlines on in emulators when playing on a modern PC, to bring back that look rather than just have a sea of perfect, sharp, 8-bit color.

tl;dr:
An old episode of Seinfeld will look okay on an SDTV
An old episode of Seinfeld will look the same on an HDTV
An SD broadcast of Monday Night Football will look okay on an SDTV
An SD broadcast of Monday Night Football will look the same on an HDTV
An HD broadcast of Monday Night Football will look amazing on an HDTV (it's not just a tiny step up)
A Wii game will look good on an SDTV
A Wii game will look better on an HDTV
A 360/PS3 game will look okay on an SDTV (ever tried to read the text in Dead Rising on one? I don't recommend it)
A 360/PS3 game will look amazing on an HDTV

If you're familiar with computer graphics, it's almost the same as the jump from 640x480 to 1920x1080. That's a big jump, and that's what's happening to your TV when you go from standard to high def. Doom won't look too awesome at 1920x1080, but Modern Warfare 2 looks a hell of a lot better at 1920x1080 than at 640x480.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 11, 2010

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Huh that's interesting. I don't watch the show frequently so I never picked up on that. So what Brits can do it the best?
Jamie Bamber is really good at it. Watch a clip of him from Battlestar Galactica, and then one from Law and Order: UK.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
All I thought about when I saw Selkies on the last page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19UZd_DKs2Q

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Golbez posted:

The ten cent tour:

Standard-def TVs (SDTV) can only display a certain, lower resolution, of, I believe, 640x480. They are interlaced, meaning every other line is drawn with each refresh, and are referred to as 480i (480 interlaced lines). SDTV shows are sent in this resolution. SD shows and TVs operate on a 4:3 ratio; they would be 4 feet wide if 3 feet tall.

High-def TVs (HDTV) can display higher resolutions, much nicer than 480i, and also are wider screen: Generally 16:9 or 16:10. The resolutions you're dealing with are 720p (1280x720, progressive, meaning it draws every line each frame, rather than every other line, leading to less flicker and smoother movement), 1080i (1920x1080, interlaced) and 1080p (1920x1080, progressive). Note that while Blu-rays, games, and some satellites may support 1080p, it is not used by any other broadcast method. 720p and 1080i are generally interchangeable, though some will say one is better for certain action than the other. I haven't looked hard enough to try to tell the difference.

Another benefit of progressive vs interlaced: SD TV is 60 frames per second, but interlaced, so each line is only being redrawn 30 times a second. 720p draws every line 60 times a second, making for smoother video.

SD shows will not look better on a HD TV. Some might say they look even worse; most SD shows were made back when the CRT, not the LCD, was the norm, and were designed around its limitations. Viewing them on an LCD makes those flaws that much more apparent.

HD shows will look amazing on an HDTV. They are not receivable on an SDTV.

The XBox 360 and PS3 support HD resolutions; the Wii unfortunately does not, though it does support widescreen SD. Hooking the 360 or PS3 up to an HDTV will look amazing. Older, non-HD, systems will look generally worse on an HDTV than a CRT simply because, again, they were designed around the limitations of a CRT. Specifically, the pixel size is different, and also with older games you could expect a certain amount of blurriness, unlike the sharp pixels of today. This is why many people like to turn scanlines on in emulators when playing on a modern PC, to bring back that look rather than just have a sea of perfect, sharp, 8-bit color.

tl;dr:
An old episode of Seinfeld will look okay on an SDTV
An old episode of Seinfeld will look the same on an HDTV
An SD broadcast of Monday Night Football will look okay on an SDTV
An SD broadcast of Monday Night Football will look the same on an HDTV
An HD broadcast of Monday Night Football will look amazing on an HDTV (it's not just a tiny step up)
A Wii game will look good on an SDTV
A Wii game will look better on an HDTV
A 360/PS3 game will look okay on an SDTV (ever tried to read the text in Dead Rising on one? I don't recommend it)
A 360/PS3 game will look amazing on an HDTV

If you're familiar with computer graphics, it's almost the same as the jump from 640x480 to 1920x1080. That's a big jump, and that's what's happening to your TV when you go from standard to high def. Doom won't look too awesome at 1920x1080, but Modern Warfare 2 looks a hell of a lot better at 1920x1080 than at 640x480.

You forgot to mention that some older systems like the ps2 CAN be hooked up via component cables; this will negate most of the blurriness but it obviously won't look as good as a game that's been designed to play in hd

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

Can I burn a .dmg file to disc in Windows? The articles I found with Google all seem outdated.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

wheres my arm posted:

Can I burn a .dmg file to disc in Windows? The articles I found with Google all seem outdated.

http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/ ?

(dmg2iso)

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 12, 2010

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

has any one been experiencing flash freezing up or stuttering in firefox? It used to be an issue with the browser saving websites every 5 seconds but I changed that setting and its still happening

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
That's hilarious because I was just thinking of posting a thread in the tech support forum about that. Yes I have been having that issue all day today especially when opening new windows.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

DRP Solved! posted:

But vitamin C doesn't do anything to treat symptoms or decrease the duration of a cold/flu/any illness other than scurvy, so what's the point?

tl;dr High doses of vitamin C are dumb and pointless.

Probably. However, the effect-size of placebos has doubled over the past 20 years or so, and Vitamin C might be helpful, and it's certainly not harmful, so why not?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gravity Pike posted:

Probably. However, the effect-size of placebos has doubled over the past 20 years or so, and Vitamin C might be helpful, and it's certainly not harmful, so why not?

It's a waste of your money to buy vitamin c pills for stuff like that. You get 225% of your daily recommended value of Vitamin C from drinking 2 glasses of orange juice with most brands. And like I said earlier, over 150% you piss it out basically as soon as possible.

Honestly, there's a lot of vitamin c in almost every food we eat, most people get well over the daily dose by midway through lunch/

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
A non-goon friend of mine needs a recommendation for a digital camera.

He's leaving this coming January for a world-wide, long term backpacking trip (a year or more), starting with Latin America. He'd like a semi-automatic digital camera with an excellent resolution, but user-friendly enough for a beginner. He'll probably be camping a lot and so he won't have regular access to electricity. Hence, he'd need a good battery life (he's wondering about solar power, but I'm not sure such a thing exists for cameras). Travel friendly size also a plus.

He's got a 600$ budget. Ideas?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Bloody Mayhem posted:

A non-goon friend of mine needs a recommendation for a digital camera.

He's leaving this coming January for a world-wide, long term backpacking trip (a year or more), starting with Latin America. He'd like a semi-automatic digital camera with an excellent resolution, but user-friendly enough for a beginner. He'll probably be camping a lot and so he won't have regular access to electricity. Hence, he'd need a good battery life (he's wondering about solar power, but I'm not sure such a thing exists for cameras). Travel friendly size also a plus.

He's got a 600$ budget. Ideas?

I've seen solar powered battery chargers for regular AA batteries, so that might be a workaround.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I have Rosetta Stone French. Should I skip French 101 (which does not count towards my gen ed), opting instead to complete Rosetta Stone before going into 102 like a pro? I'm inquiring because I believe 101 will be a giant waste of my time if I can just skip to 102 with a solid Stoned up background.

The only reason I would take 101 would be to solidify my skills. Basically I'm asking if anyone has experience using rosetta stone. I know very little french.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tostito posted:

I have Rosetta Stone French. Should I skip French 101 (which does not count towards my gen ed), opting instead to complete Rosetta Stone before going into 102 like a pro? I'm inquiring because I believe 101 will be a giant waste of my time if I can just skip to 102 with a solid Stoned up background.

The only reason I would take 101 would be to solidify my skills. Basically I'm asking if anyone has experience using rosetta stone. I know very little french.

The approach Rosetta Stone uses and the approach your class will use are almost certainly not the same. Learning literal translations and conjugations and verb forms are all crap that Rosetta Stone expects you to intuit over time, while your class will teach you them directly and test you on them. I would use it as an adjunct while going through 101 myself.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Emmjay posted:

A quick question about accents in movies and on TV. When a foreign actor speaks in your native language, are you always able to tell that they are not native speakers? I'm Australian and I've never seen an actor do a convincing Aussie accent - is that because the accent is difficult to do or because a non-native speaker can never totally get an accent right?

As a Dutch person, I can tell you that most 'Dutch' accents I've heard on TV or in movies more closely resemble Russian than Dutch. So yeah, I hear it too, and it's not just the slang, it's the pronunciation.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Is there a "Whatever the hell happened to" website?

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame
Can my apartment complex force me into a specific ISP? I assume they get some sort of kickback and don't want me to leave it, but FiOS is available here and I hope that I'm not actually stuck with Bright House at this new apartment.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I've seen solar powered battery chargers for regular AA batteries, so that might be a workaround.

I googled it and those were the first result I got: http://www.solio.com/charger/solio-charger-comparison-chart.html. The site looks nice and the price is reasonable (~100$). But I have no idea if they're any good or not. In any case, it'll have to do, because I've never seen solar-powered cameras (except surveillance stuff). That or he'll have to carry around with him a shitload of batteries.

Battery time notwithstanding, any recs for the actual camera?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I googled it and those were the first result I got: http://www.solio.com/charger/solio-charger-comparison-chart.html. The site looks nice and the price is reasonable (~100$). But I have no idea if they're any good or not. In any case, it'll have to do, because I've never seen solar-powered cameras (except surveillance stuff). That or he'll have to carry around with him a shitload of batteries.

Battery time notwithstanding, any recs for the actual camera?
Check out the Camera Gear and Point & Shoots megathreads in Creative Convention / Dorkroom. The P&S folks should be able to point you in the right direction.

Keep in mind that part of the budget goes to memory cards. There are devices for storing card data without a computer, but I haven't researched those thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Luffles posted:

Can my apartment complex force me into a specific ISP? I assume they get some sort of kickback and don't want me to leave it, but FiOS is available here and I hope that I'm not actually stuck with Bright House at this new apartment.

Call up the FCC and explain your situation, they can tell you whether your apartment complex can disallow you from getting FIOS.