Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

i am not so sure posted:

According to a response on their Facebook, expect a Blu of Army of Shadows around January. I haven't seen that yet and it's a good blind-buy candidate.

Yeah, this was announced last month. To recap the January releases:

Army of Shadows (Blu)
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (Blu)
Shock Corridor (Blu and SE DVD)
The Naked Kiss (Blu and SE DVD)
Broadcast News (Blu and DVD)
Eclipse: Basil Dearden's London Underground (Sapphire, The League of Gentlemen, Victim, All Night Long)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

The Lucas posted:

FitFortDanga posted:

More imporantly, is Khondji just hanging out at Criterion, or is he working on something? City of Lost Children, maybe? The Ninth Gate?

Ninth Gate is Lionsgate I believe and it already has a Blu Release. Doesn't seem too likely.

Somebody on facebook claims that it's probably City of Lost Children or Stealing Beauty because "Everything else either has a blu already or belongs to a company that doesn't license." I was sure it was The Game until I realized Fincher worked with Harris Savides, not Khondji, on that film.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A director's cut of The Tin Drum looks like a possibility for Criterion:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10100126391148028

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

anyone wanna explain how 'Ali: Fear Eats the Soul' was cancelled off my BN order?? I mean i know they've got a crazy amount of sales going on..

but i can't see that one in particular at the top of everyone's lists right now

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

This sale. This loving sale. Every time I buy way more than I should.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

penismightier posted:

This sale. This loving sale. Every time I buy way more than I should.

i've already spent too much and i've got 4 more sittin in the cart right now lol here's to hoping none of those get cancelled..!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sleeper Pimp
Nov 2, 2006

Ess Jay SCHARKS DAWT COM
Just picked up Yojimbo/Sanjuro and Repulsion at my Barnes and Noble, with Antichrist, House and Darjeeling Limited off their website. Any reason why it's taking them so long to ship the online ones?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I stopped in to Barnes and Noble today and picked up The Magician and Paths of Glory. Watched the latter tonight, it's a great movie and of course looks amazing. I'll be going back next week to get Night of the Hunter, but I probably won't be able to control myself and I'll get another one or two on top of that.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater

Sleeper Pimp posted:

Just picked up Yojimbo/Sanjuro and Repulsion at my Barnes and Noble, with Antichrist, House and Darjeeling Limited off their website. Any reason why it's taking them so long to ship the online ones?
I'm assuming it's really busy this time of year because of christmas anyway, add to that 50% off and it's swarmed. My order says that House is coming on time but Paths of Glory will be delayed 1 week, even though I ordered it as "come all at once no matter how long it takes". I hope they don't charge me double for shipping.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
They're really good for the shipping costs. They've been breaking up all my orders into pieces and they're just splitting the total shipping price between the different things they're sending.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Fun posted:

They're really good for the shipping costs. They've been breaking up all my orders into pieces and they're just splitting the total shipping price between the different things they're sending.

yea i made an order out to Canada of 4 blus.. Seven Samurai is being shipped on schedule while the other 3 have been delayed (House, Charade, Paths of Glory). just like Mr Fun has said, they've split up the shipping costs and not charging the orig. amount 4x, which is very nice to see.

i still have yet to figure out why they completely cancelled ali: fear eats the soul .. anyone have anything similar to that happen to them?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

First chunk of my order came in the other day (House, Charade, Paths of Glory, Seven Samurai and Crumb). Less than a week after ordering, and I was expecting to wait almost two. :canada:

I popped in House to watch during the evening and all I have to say about House is I've never seen a movie like House.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

friendo55 posted:

i still have yet to figure out why they completely cancelled ali: fear eats the soul .. anyone have anything similar to that happen to them?

No idea why, but something similar happened to me. I had the local B&N order House for in-store pickup twice and both times it was canceled the next day with no explanation. That was last week and the B&N site is now telling me that the local store has a copy in stock. I have no idea what's going on.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
Just got this email:

quote:

Unfortunately, the merchandise listed below has been further delayed.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to fulfill your order soon. To keep your order open, we must have your approval for a 30-Day Order Extension. Unfortunately, if we don't get approval from you for the extension within the next 24 hours, we'll have to cancel this part of your order.

Must have oversold Paths of Glory

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're picking up any of the more expensive titles in the next few days, this coupon will save you a few more shekels than the 5 off 20.

GonzoIsKing
Sep 26, 2004
^^^^

I'm about to head over there to get the Fanny & Alexander box-set using this. I hope there are no issues.

I thought I was done with the sale but some of the items from my original order were delayed so I think a few more wont kill me.

flying afro
May 21, 2003

Speaking of Fanny & Alexander, is a blu ray release on the horizon? I know Criterion's announcing new titles on Monday, but I'm guessing there would have been a bit more foreshadowing if something like F&A was being worked on.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

friendo55 posted:

Yeah, it also happened with me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ka-BLAM!

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ka-BLAM!

I still can't believe how inexpensive this is. Hurry up next week.

edit: :cry:

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 14, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safe Driver posted:

I still can't believe how inexpensive this is. Hurry up next week.

Just imagine if it were eligible for the B&N sale :cry:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

flying afro posted:

Speaking of Fanny & Alexander, is a blu ray release on the horizon? I know Criterion's announcing new titles on Monday, but I'm guessing there would have been a bit more foreshadowing if something like F&A was being worked on.

It's already available overseas so there is a good shot it will pop up here eventually.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like how Criterion handled the one double-feature disc. That would be a good idea for films they could pair up (like their three Rene Clair films, which would neatly fit on one BD-50).

Crumb is just as hypnotic and soul-crushing as I remember it. The remaster looks great - I really enjoy seeing grainier films in HD since it's more of a texture than a layer of noise on DVD.

Paths of Glory looks and sounds amazing. I wasn't expecting the audio to have such great fidelity and power to it.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ka-BLAM!

This is coming out on my birthday. Best present ever.

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick

doctor thodt posted:

If you're picking up any of the more expensive titles in the next few days, this coupon will save you a few more shekels than the 5 off 20.

Yes! I was able to get the Kurosawa box set with this coupon. 145 for a set normally sold at 400? I've got the Magic smile going right now.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Villain's Mask posted:

Yes! I was able to get the Kurosawa box set with this coupon. 145 for a set normally sold at 400?

Holy poo poo, that's a deal and a half

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Has any Canadian ordered from B&N before? I ordered House, and it said it shipped on October 29th. I am still waiting for it. I am just worried about how long I am going to have to wait for my Criterion sale order when it ships tomorrow.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Can't wait to pick up Modern Times Blu at B&N tomorrow.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Has any Canadian ordered from B&N before? I ordered House, and it said it shipped on October 29th. I am still waiting for it. I am just worried about how long I am going to have to wait for my Criterion sale order when it ships tomorrow.

I am! I ordered on November 2nd and got everything on the 9th.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New announcements today?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

New announcements today?

Yep. Apparently CriterionCast had trailers up for Amarcord and Tokyo Story, which would have been a good indicator that Blu-Ray upgrades are coming. But they took them down.

I'm mainly hoping for Sweet Smell of Success (and Fanny & Alexander, but not holding my breath)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More Fellini on BD would be swell. I just got a fantastic import disc of Casanova which most people seem to dislike, but I love how palpable his loathing for the character comes though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

FitFortDanga posted:

Tokyo Story

Oh god yes... I knew there was a reason that I failed to pick this up so many times.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Safe Driver posted:

I am! I ordered on November 2nd and got everything on the 9th.

Hm, I wonder what the problem is? I hate ordering online for this reason. I am too impatient to wait.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Has anyone received Modern Times or The Night of the Hunter yet? They haven't even shipped yet from B&N.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Egbert Souse posted:

Has anyone received Modern Times or The Night of the Hunter yet? They haven't even shipped yet from B&N.

They're released tomorrow.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm seeing:

Fish Tank
Still Walking
Sweet Smell of Success
Senso
The Double Life of Veronique
Amarcord

details and covers to follow....

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#4 - AMARCORD (BR - Feb 8)

(same specs as DVD release)

FFD take: No thanks, my least favorite Fellini.

#359 - THE DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE (BR - Feb 1)

(same specs as DVD release)

FFD take: gently caress, I knew I shouldn't have bought that import. Will FFD buy Veronique for the third time? Signs point to yes.

#553 - FISH TANK (DVD/BR - Feb 22)

* New high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Andrea Arnold, director of photography Robbie Ryan, and editor Nicolas Chaudeurge (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* All three of Arnold’s short films: Milk (1998), Dog (2001), and the Oscar-winning Wasp (2003)
* New video interview with actor Kierston Wareing
* Interview with actor Michael Fassbender from 2009
* Audition footage
* Stills gallery by on-set photographer Holly Horner
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ian Christie

FFD take: I really dunno anything about this, rental.

#554 - STILL WALKING (DVD/BR - Feb 8)

* New high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Hirokazu Kore-eda and director of photography Yutaka Yamazaki (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* New video interviews with Kore-eda and Yamazaki
* Making “Still Walking”
* Trailer
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Dennis Lim and recipes for the food prepared in the film

FFD take: I like this movie, don't think I'd buy it but I might rent to see it once more.

#555 - SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (2-disc DVD/BR - Feb 22)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* New audio commentary by film scholar James Naremore
* Mackendrick: The Man Who Walked Away, a 1986 documentary featuring interviews with director Alexander Mackendrick, actor Burt Lancaster, producer James Hill, and more
* James Wong Howe: Cinematographer, a 1973 documentary about the Oscar-winning director of photography, featuring lighting tutorials with Howe
* New video interview with film critic and historian Neil Gabler (Winchell: Gossip, Power and the Culture of Celebrity) about legendary columnist Walter Winchell, inspiration for the character J. J. Hunsecker
* New video interview with filmmaker James Mangold about Mackendrick, his instructor and mentor
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins, two short stories by Ernest Lehman featuring the characters from the film, notes about the film by Lehman, and an excerpt from Mackendrick’s book On Film-making

FFD take: Oh sweet cookie soaked in arsenic, you will be mine. Nice extras, not too sure about that cover.

#556 - SENSO (2-disc DVD/BR - Feb 22)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, created in collaboration with the Cineteca di Bologna and Martin Scorsese’s Film Foundation, supervised by director of photography Giuseppe Rotunno (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* The Making of “Senso,” a new documentary featuring Rotunno, assistant director Francesco Rosi, costume designer Piero Tosi, and Caterina D’Amico, daughter of screenwriter Suso Cecchi D’Amico and author of Life and Work of Luchino Visconti
* Viva VERDI, a new documentary on Visconti, Senso, and opera featuring Italian film scholar Peter Brunette, Italian historian Stefano Albertini, and author Wayne Koestenbaum
* The Wanton Countess, the rarely seen English-language version of the film
* Visual essay by film scholar Peter Cowie
* Man of Three Worlds: Luchino Visconti, a 1966 BBC special exploring Visconti’s parallel masteries of cinema, theater, and opera direction
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by filmmaker and author Mark Rappaport and an excerpt from actor Farley Granger’s autobiography, Include Me Out

FFD take: Pass, not a fan of this movie.

So, one buy, one probable buy, two rentals, two pass. A decent month, mostly I'm thrilled for SSoS.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Wow, the Fish Tank cover art is terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Double Life of Veronique, Sweet Smell of Success and Senso are absolute must-haves for me (and I haven't even seen the latter two - I put that much faith in each, or at least that much faith in my Visconti-boner in the case of Senso). Chalk February up as a win for me - I know what I want for my birthday now...