Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh I forgot about this thread.

I went to Riotfest in Chicago last month, it was pretty cool. It went from Oct 6-10 (wed-sun) but the good bands played thurs-sat, which is when I went. Thursday night I saw Propagandhi for the third time, and Cobra Skulls who were pretty good. After the show, Todd from Propagandhi posted on my facebook wall that he saw me in the front row :smug: it was a great show.

Friday night was Circle Jerks, Bouncing Souls, and Bad Religion. Oh there were some other lovely bands too including the horrible, horrible Lawrence Arms. I'd never seen the Circle Jerks before, I have a couple of their records but it was pretty hilarious to see what they look like now as compared to the 80's. Bad Religion was awesome, they played a fairly short set which was kinda lame, but they had limited time. A dude landed on my head and broke my glasses, that's pretty punk right?

Saturday was like 7 bands and then Anti-Flag, Less Than Jake, Snapcase, Pennywise, and The Mighty Might Bosstones. Snapcase is awesome and it's totally weird because their drummer teaches at my old high school, and their bassist and one guitarist work at the Apple Store nearby me with my friend. Less Than Jake is the only band that I only like live, their recorded stuff is poo poo but they are a ton of fun live. I don't know how that works!

And then a week later I saw Bad Religion again in Toronto, and beforehand Greg Graffin had a book signing. Of course I went. He's a really chill guy and took questions from the audience. I asked him when the hell BR is gonna release an all acoustic album! Anyway here are some pics:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

my friend and I stuck around and met him, omg he touched my shoulder :swoon:

also, Greg Hetson is kind of weird. But we chatted about hockey so it was all good.

they're fuckin old. By the way, in case you were wondering, I've learned that Greg Graffin has a really wicked slapshot.

EDIT: Also apparently all Bad Religion songs start out acoustic. And Greg Graffin is a big Carl Sagan fan.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Holy poo poo Graffin is so old.

I was going to ask if that was the manager introducing him in the first picture.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Inspector_71 posted:

Holy poo poo Graffin is so old.

I was going to ask if that was the manager introducing him in the first picture.

I thought the same thing, he looks like some guy who'd work at my dad's office or something.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

well he is a college professor. . . also he's only 45, maybe 46. That's old for a punk rocker, I guess.

EDIT: the fact that he's standing in front of a picture of himself should have given it away haha

I just remembered, during the breakdown parts in Generator, they started playing Rush. The first one was the bridge from Limelight, and the second was Spirit of Radio. I felt like I was the only one who got it though. Also at one point Brian Baker lit up a cigarette on stage and my first thought was, "welp, I guess he's not 15 any more."

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 15, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

well he is a college professor. . . also he's only 45, maybe 46. That's old for a punk rocker, I guess.

EDIT: the fact that he's standing in front of a picture of himself should have given it away haha

Well when I clicked to zoom it to full size it did.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also at one point Brian Baker lit up a cigarette on stage and my first thought was, "welp, I guess he's not 15 any more."
Baker did an interview with Mark Prindle a few years ago where he goes a little into his own perspective on being straight-edge as a kid:

quote:

I was in Minor Threat and I don't recall actually trying to start some sort of sober militia. The reason I didn't drink or take drugs is because I was 15 when I joined the band and I didn't hate my parents. So when they told me not to smoke pot, I didn't, and when they went out of town, I didn't raid their liquor cabinet because I respected my parents and I didn't like the way liquor tasted. That was me being straight edge.
And when you want to analyze the "straight edge" concept, it's really not a bad idea for teenagers to not be drinking and doing drugs and having promiscious sex. Not in the sense of denying them pleasure, but if you're living at home - and I'll use me as a great example: I'm living at home, I get to go out and play at a nightclub on a weekday when I'm in high school, because my mother knows I'm not out shootin' up!
By the time all these third-wave straight edge bands came into existence, where they added 'vegan' to the list, which I really wasn't aware that that was on the checklist -- by then, I was drunk in a cowboy hat; I didn't really give a poo poo.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Ugh why is there no mention yet of the best CD to ever drop of all time, within the timeframe of today. The final Methadones CD that they announced way back in the start of '10 (though they didn't say it would be their final) Titled succinctly: The Methadones. It's pretty great. I would say that it's better than This Won't Hurt, Maybe equal with Not Economically Viable. I Like it v:blush:v

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How about I light the mo'fuckin Gerfatty signal and post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_gIx_LRIQ

House Boat (sans Mikey) playing My Life Hurts on a rooftop. They're recording a new album in December for Traffic Street! You should buy it! Sam from T. Street is a rad guy!

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Are you trying to take pop punk thunder away from my methadones post? I think we need to throw down Dickeye. (Seriously though he's right houseboat is pretty good. Delaware Octopus is a good album)

GHOSTBONER
Jan 23, 2008

this isn't shoegaze
this is suicide
So is anyone else planning on going to the Street Smart Cyclist reunion show with Algernon Cadwallader, Slingshot Dakota, Ape Up!, and The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die on Dec. 26? It should be insane. The facebook page for the event already has more than 400 confirmed guests. I'm hoping to go with a couple friends of mine, but it's a long ways away from Georgia (about 1500 miles roundtrip).

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

GHOSTBONER posted:

So is anyone else planning on going to the Street Smart Cyclist reunion show with Algernon Cadwallader, Slingshot Dakota, Ape Up!, and The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die on Dec. 26? It should be insane. The facebook page for the event already has more than 400 confirmed guests. I'm hoping to go with a couple friends of mine, but it's a long ways away from Georgia (about 1500 miles roundtrip).

I am now.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I want to go, but I'm not totally sure if I will yet. It's definitely going to be insane.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
Does this mean that Snowing is done? I haven't heard any activity from them since I saw them last year. I really wanted to hear their full length.

GHOSTBONER
Jan 23, 2008

this isn't shoegaze
this is suicide

baberaham lincoln posted:

Does this mean that Snowing is done? I haven't heard any activity from them since I saw them last year. I really wanted to hear their full length.

Nah, the reunion show is a one time thing and apparently the official last Cyclist show. As for the full length, according to their facebook page it's being mixed right now.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I loving love Snowing. gently caress Your Emotional Bullshit is such a great EP. They played a couple shows this fall and no one wanted to drive the two hours with me to see them with 1994!, My Heart to Joy, Algernon Cadwallader, and a handful of others...We Were Skeletons maybe? Either way, I hate my friends.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Kevar posted:

I loving love Snowing. gently caress Your Emotional Bullshit is such a great EP. They played a couple shows this fall and no one wanted to drive the two hours with me to see them with 1994!, My Heart to Joy, Algernon Cadwallader, and a handful of others...We Were Skeletons maybe? Either way, I hate my friends.

wow, that's, like, the exact line up I saw them with a year ago, but minus Algernon. It was a great show.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
More on lineups for Chaos In Tejas and MDF:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archiv...rooklynvegan%29

Don't loving miss it, always a rager.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
Hell yeah, I'm most likely going to make it to MDF. Looks like it's gonna be awesome.

CT dudes: Cruel Hand, Backtrack and Hate Your Guts are playing upstairs at Toads on the 27th. It's an early show, if I'm not mistaken it starts at 6pm, $8.

act five fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 20, 2010

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

More on lineups for Chaos In Tejas and MDF:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archiv...rooklynvegan%29

Don't loving miss it, always a rager.

That lineup is not very exciting. Hopefully some cooler bands will jump on. MDF looks loving sweet though.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

The Slowmotions already have me super excited for Tejas. Plus this is like 17 bands out of 100. The headliners haven't even been announced yet.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah I do like the Slowmotions a lot (thanks to you). Hopefully it'll shape up to be a lot cooler.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
Does Bad Acid Trip still sound like a SOAD cover band or did they go back to their earlier sound? The split they did with Municipal Waste is awesome, but their last few releases are beyond forgettable...

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
It seems that I can't listen to a single power violence or sludge album without a few samples playing that I can't loving identify. Someone help me out with this one. At the end of Vacuum by Crossed Out (off of a split with Man is the Bastard, I believe), there's some kind of torture/screaming sound followed by "he's dead. Good." Anyone recognize that?

Edit:
On a similar note, it would be a pretty cool project to identify all the samples in Let's loving Go! by Spazz. It would make a pretty sick hardcore mixtape, or something.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 10, 2010

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

I can't identify it, but if it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat most of the time.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Anyone register for pix fest today? I'm in it's gonna be nuts.

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Anyone register for pix fest today? I'm in it's gonna be nuts.

I got mine, I'm super excited.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Hell yeah, that rules.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/track_by_track_screeching_weasel/

Ben Weasel talks to AltPress about TVCD. Ben Weasel is still an rear end in a top hat and a petulant child. gently caress you Ben Weasel

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Like clockwork.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I checked this page but didn't see this posted but here you go, Snowing fans. You can download the new full length for free. But you know, donate if you can.

http://www.snowingtheband.com/

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

NeilPerry posted:

I checked this page but didn't see this posted but here you go, Snowing fans. You can download the new full length for free. But you know, donate if you can.

http://www.snowingtheband.com/

Them posting this last night is the only time I've ever felt having a twitter account has impacted my life in a positive way. Album rules. Strongly considering the 4 hour drive to see them and Empire! Empire! later this month.

Ilya Bryz
Apr 3, 2006
I have until the 21st of Feb to post my :toxx: or I will be banned.
Snowing's full length is absolutely amazing. I got it like 23 minutes after it was linked on FB and I've listened to pretty much nothing else since then: the new version of I Think We're in Minsk rules, as do It's Just a Party, Memo Yeah That's Fine Man, and Could Be Better Forever.

And, you know, all the other songs.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Dickeye posted:

Ben Weasel talks to AltPress about TVCD. Ben Weasel is still an rear end in a top hat and a petulant child. gently caress you Ben Weasel

Yes, but he's an rear end in a top hat with a new record coming out.

http://www.fatwreck.com/news/detail/312

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ferrule posted:

Yes, but he's an rear end in a top hat with a new record coming out.

http://www.fatwreck.com/news/detail/312

It's not Screeching Weasel without Jughead, sorry.

e: And if he thought he could have gotten away with calling it that without having at least Vapid in there, he would have tried it.

e2: To minimize my bashing, it's being produced by one of the dudes from All-American Rejects, which is actually kinda interesting since the two dudes that started it were Weasel fans and you can hear it in parts of their first album.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 8, 2010

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Never mind

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

quote:

Austin festival has announced its first round of as-many-as-100 bands including Autopsy (their second US show in 20 years), D-Clone (Japan, U.S. exclusive), Extortion (Australia), Isterismo (Japan, U.S. exclusive), Miasmal (Sweden), Ceremony, Xibalba (Mexico), The Slowmotions (Japan, U.S. exclusive), Perdition, Crazy Spirit, Vile Gash, Origin of [m] (Japan), Bone Sickness, Innumerable Forms, Reigning Sound, and Unbroken

Still not enough to get me to go, but Autopsy's cool. MDF looks killer.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Dickeye posted:

God this post is like two weeks old but I can never pass up a chance to say how much I loving hate Ben Weasel

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

I have liked punk rock for a long time. I liked old stuff like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Sex Pistols, and Misfits. I have gotten into some newer acts recommended here like Gallows, hosed Up, Career Suicide, Strike Anywhere, and Bronx, but I did not like the bands suggested like Weekend Nachos and Envy. I just can't listen to music that sounds like a trainwreck. What other bands would I like based on my like list?

Creaton
Dec 9, 2010

Durgoc posted:

I have liked punk rock for a long time. I liked old stuff like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Sex Pistols, and Misfits. I have gotten into some newer acts recommended here like Gallows, hosed Up, Career Suicide, Strike Anywhere, and Bronx, but I did not like the bands suggested like Weekend Nachos and Envy. I just can't listen to music that sounds like a trainwreck. What other bands would I like based on my like list?

try Ceremony - Rohnert Park LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Try Brutal Knights, Government Warning, Direct Control, Annihilation Time, Cloak/Dagger, Regulations, Social Circkle, and Wasted Time

e:

here have some youtubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN1HO_LMh4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1CKGVOjVjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks-4a3GN-GM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp7KhZ0nmkQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TBxABAlT9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzlp2lLHbgo

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 23, 2010